Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Gluten - free diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gluten - free diet
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How easy would it be for someone to follow a gluten-free diet here in Cairo?

(question for someone else btw)

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not very. You'd have to pulverize Flax, Almond into "meal" which is time consuming.

Replacing flour would be the most difficult part.

I can do it here quite easily and at no extra cost; but it would be a conscientious effort to do it in Cairo. Can be done but takes coordination.

I am not a huge fan of rice flour so I have a tendency to stay clear of rice flour.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google coeliac friendly recipes... coeliac sufferers cannot have gluten in their diet.

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten%252dFree-Recipes/

To follow the diet become aware of what is in food... Pataks curry paste btw is gluten free and a god-send to coeliac sufferers in the UK [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glutten free foods is also a great way of diversifying stage 2 of south beach diet.

Had a coworker who had this condition, she was very evangelistic about the condition. But I did pinch several recipees from her. I also found out how time consuming it was to pulverize these ingredients. She did so on her own because she didn't trust coops not to mingle the flax/rice meal with regular flour.

I know glutten can do a number on your colon moreso than red meat.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Google coeliac friendly recipes... coeliac sufferers cannot have gluten in their diet.

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten%252dFree-Recipes/

To follow the diet become aware of what is in food... Pataks curry paste btw is gluten free and a god-send to coeliac sufferers in the UK [Big Grin]

sharwoods is still edible and tastes fine 1 year out of date [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came across this:
http://www.glutenfreeglobe.com/Africa/Egypt/

Gluten Free advice for Egypt

I've a son who is a gluten intolerance, so i might help some people who are egyptian or visiting Cairo to know from where they can order GF bread:
Fino Bakery in Zamalek and Maadi,Tel 02 5210646 - 010 5660588 - 012 2606931 and always check in Alfa Market, they always have thngs like rice Noodles pasta, and Rice crackers.
Regards,
salma

I'd like to add to Salma's advice. Thanks to her we found the bakery in Zamalek! It's right behind the Danish Embassy. They don't sell gluten free bread off the shelf, but you can order minimum three loaves for the following morning. This we did. We ordered them "with seeds" (this they'll ask you, with or without seeds) and the bread arrived at our agreed time of 8am, so we took it to our hotel breakfast. It was delicious, the best gluten-free bread we've tasted!

Anyone live in Zamalek able to go check it out?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com