Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » I need squash recipes!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need squash recipes!
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My garden is producing and I have squash coming out of my ears. Does anyone have any recipes that a child might like? All I know how to do with squash is boil it. This is the yellow kind.
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about squash patties?

Haven't made them myself, but I have made zucchini patties often, which are basically the same. They are easy to make, very delicious, and kids usually like them. They are great for summer parties and picknicks too. You can eat them on their own or get creative with dips. They are great with yoghurt-garlic based sauces, for example.
[Smile]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have one [Razz]
you cook your squash in a little water .salt and pepper and a little butter..when done mash it up and add like 2 tablespoons of cream cheese in it and mix all together....easy but so delicious [Smile]

another one is i cut it up in rounds and fry them in a little olive oil and a little butter with onion and garlic till done.at the end add fresh basil, salt and pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
yummy ...you can tell i love squash too [Smile]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to try all of these. Thanks for posting.

I tried the one with cream cheese last night. At first I didn't care for it but once it cooled it was wonderful and I will make it again.

I think next I will try the squash patties. If I could remember how to post pictures I would post one here of my garden [Smile]

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
If I could remember how to post pictures I would post one here of my garden [Smile]

Easy. Go to http://www.imageshack.us, upload the image and post the "forum link" here. [Smile]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

I have had a hard time up loading my images but I finally got one!
My Squash [Smile]
My Garden
Mystery Vegetable Shah, This one is for you. Identify the Vegetable! [Wink]
Tomatoes, that don't seem to want to turn red
Cute, Little, Tomatoes

That will have to do for now, It has taken almost an hour to post these and I need to get ready for yoga. [Smile]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any more squash recipees like the one Dalia posted.

I tried the squash patties but added some crushed red pepper flakes to the patties, good.

The squash patties recipee can also be frozen for future meals. I'd like to bank roll 20 some veggie recipees that can be frozen, being able to pull them out on nights I am just to tired to cook an entire meal would be heavenly especially in winter.

Last winter I nearly choked on root veggies and turkey chili.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

I tried the squash patties but added some crushed red pepper flakes to the patties, good.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you liked them.  -

Here's another one that I haven't cooked yet since I can't find cymling. However, I might try it with another type of squash:

Breaded Cymling

Use 1 or 2 cymlings, as desired. Lay the cymling flat and cut it into 1/4 inch-thick slices.
Dip the slices first in well-beaten egg, then in fine dry bread crumbs lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.
Fry in butter on each side, over moderate heat, until golden brown.

(From "American Harvest" by Nava Atlas)

quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

I'd like to bank roll 20 some veggie recipees that can be frozen, being able to pull them out on nights I am just to tired to cook an entire meal would be heavenly especially in winter.

Mh ... I freeze stuff all the time. All sorts of soups are generally very good for freezing, so are lentil daals. Also, I sometimes make the yeast dough for naan bread, divide it into balls and freeze them. So when I get a sudden craving for naan, I don't have to go through the procedure of preparing the dough, letting it rise and so on.
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have had a hard time up loading my images but I finally got one!
My Squash [Smile]
My Garden
Mystery Vegetable Shah, This one is for you. Identify the Vegetable! [Wink]

Ohh I have just realized this, these look pretty good Gold [Smile] And sorry I have no idea what it is but looks like something delicious for cows and sheep [Big Grin] Don'T think it is a vegatable [Smile]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of Gold: its a dandelion

http://www.google.com/images?q=dandelion+leaves&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=aSIhTN7ILMSqlAfh540q&sa=X&oi=image_result_grou p&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQsAQwAA

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be a radish?
Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SherryBlueBerry:
Could it be a radish?

nope Sherry its a dandelion [Wink]
of_gold
Member # 13418

omg, it does look like a dandelion..... but how can that be? I started the seeds last winter, indoors. I was wondering if it could be Ox Eye Daisy's because I have saved those seeds. There have been no blooms, yet.

Shah, you should see my garden now. Its lush. I will try and remember to take some more pictures. [Wink]

fyi I tried all three of the squash recipes. The fried squash was simple and very good.

I didn't mash up the squash with cream cheese. The first time I made it I didn't think much of it at first but after it sat a bit it was amazing. The second time I made this I had too much water in it.

The squash patties turned out like pancakes which I didn't expect. Mine were a bit bland but I still liked it. The 9 year old didn't care for them though. Maybe I could of put syrup and he would have liked it better. I didn't try that. Actually he doesnt't care for squash very much at all, seems that he liked the cream cheese recipe the best though, he loves cheese.

Oh, someone told me that fried squash dipped in corn meal is great but I haven't tried it yet. Squash production is winding down.... green beans are next. [Big Grin]

What is Cymling?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Cymling is a white squash thats round and flat..i think [Razz] .almost like pattiepans .you see them in the fall like for decorations around Halloween or thanksgiving with the little pumpkins and gourds
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
In the book I got the recipe from, it says:

The first time I asked my husband to buy some for me, I described it as looking like a pale-green flying saucer with scalloped edges. He had no trouble finding it.

[Big Grin]

-

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
In the book I got the recipe from, it says:

The first time I asked my husband to buy some for me, I described it as looking like a pale-green flying saucer with scalloped edges. He had no trouble finding it.

[Big Grin]

-

thats exactly what i was talking about ...thanks again Dalia [Wink]
of_gold
Member # 13418

I planted some of those and have had blooms but no....Cymling. How do you pronounce it. I just called it white squash.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

of_gold
Member # 13418

I just came from my garden and there are at least 3 huge cantaloupe. They are all green so they are still growing. I also have blooms on my egg plant.

Next year I am going to double the size of my garden. I now have a huge plastic drum to collect rain water in which has a spicket at the bottom to attach a hose.

I am a bit disappointed in my tomato production but I think it is because I have hardly fertilized.

metinoot , I want to learn what can be frozen too. [Smile]

--------------------

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
squash patties were delicious, but man talk about loosening the plumbing!
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:

of Gold: its a dandelion

Here is a delicious Lebanese recipe using dandelion:

Hindbeh

Preparing the Dandelions

When you pick the dandelions, make sure you don’t pick other weeds with them and be careful of insects such as spiders. You should find dandelions grown in lawns and on sidewalks.

Chop the dandelions finely, wash thoroughly in several changes of water and drain. Wrap the leaves in a tea towel and twist the tea towel to drain all the excess water and bitterness.

Taste a dandelion leaf. If it is not too bitter, then it should be good to cook. If it is (and by bitter, I mean BITTER), blanch the dandelions in boiling water and 1/2 a tsp of sodium bicarbonate for 3 to 5 minutes. It’s preferable not to blanch if you can handle the bitterness.

Ingredients

500 g dandelion leaf, prepared as above (weighed before blanching)
4 large onions, cut in thin wings (halved, then diced vertically)
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
½ cup olive oil
½ cup lemon juice
2 tsp salt
1 cup boiled chickpeas (optional)
½ cup Greek style yoghurt (optional)
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts (optional)

In a large frypan, heat up the olive oil and fry the onions with a tsp of salt on a gentle heat

When the onions are slightly golden, remove half of them and set aside

Continue to fry the onions, stirring every couple of minutes until they caramelise. Turn the heat down if they are cooking too quickly and keep a watchful eye, as they burn very easily

Once caramelised, remove the onions, and keep the oil in the frypan

Using the same oil, add the half cooked onions you removed earlier and the garlic and fry until the garlic begins to turn golden

Add the dandelion leaf and the remaining salt. It might look like too much in the frypan, but the volume will drop significantly once cooked for a minute or two

Keep cooking, stirring every couple of minutes until most of the moisture in the dandelion has evaporated. The colour should be getting dark, but not burn. The ingredients will begin to stick to the bottom of the pan. Keep cooking for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and add the lemon juice

The dandelion leaf will absorb the liquid quickly. You can now set aside to cool and then refrigerate

Once cool, you can toss in the boiled chickpeas (cold) and the pine nuts. Top with yoghurt and then the caramelised onions and enjoy

http://thefoodblog.com.au/2010/01/eating-dandelions-hindbeh-recipe.html

-

-

of_gold
Member # 13418

I am now sure that the mystery vegetables are daisies . I had two little helpers when I was planting seeds to start indoors. [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
I am now sure that the mystery vegetables are daisies . I had two little helpers when I was planting seeds to start indoors. [Big Grin]

who would of thought it was a daisey :eek:i swore it was dandys [Wink]
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
make mashy from them....hollow them out with a spoon in a twisting motion and stuff em with beef or rice. steam them then slice them in circles. my kid loves them.
Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mish-mish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I slice up any of my veggies that are squash, onions, eggplant and grilling peppers. I put some olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon and slap those puppies on the grill. Very good and each night it's a little different depending on what I have. Sometimes I put cilantro or rosemary on the grill.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Apple-Squash Fritters, adapted from Soul of a New Cuisine

2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch cubes (we used Jonagolds)
2 pounds Kabocha squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour plus 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 cups peanut oil

Preheating. Preheat the oven to 350°.

Roasting the apples, squash, and garlic. Put the apple and squash pieces, plus the garlic cloves, on a baking sheet. Brush them with the olive oil. Roast in the oven until the garlic has softened, about 15 minutes. Take out the garlic and put the baking sheet back in the oven. Roast the apple and squash until they are soft, about 20 more minutes.

Making cinnamon sugar. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together.

Mashing the squash mixture. Put the roasted apples, squash, and garlic in a large bowl. Mash them all together with a fork or potato masher. Add the garam masala, salt, cornstarch, the sorghum flour, 1/4 cup of the sweet rice flour, and xanthan gum. Stir until combined. Shape the dough, which will be soft, into 2-inch balls. Roll the balls in the remaining sweet rice flour.

Frying the fritters. Heat the peanut oil in a deep pot (make sure no little ones are nearby) until it reaches 350° on a candy thermometer. Lower the squash balls into the oil, gently, and let them fry, turning them once in a while, until they are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Take the fritters out of the oil with a slotted spoon, pausing to let the oil drip back into the pot, and put them on paper towels.

Sprinkle the fritters with the cinnamon sugar and eat as soon as they are cool enough to touch.

Feeds 4 hungry adults, plus a couple of little ones.

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2009/10/soul-of-new-cuisine.html

I am trying this one out sometime this week. Wish me luck!

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Warning label on the recipe I posted above (not diet conscious):

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 123 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
17.6g
27%
Saturated Fat
1.5g
8%
Trans Fat
0.1g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
203mg
8%
Total Carbohydrates
10.9g
4%
Dietary Fiber
1.6g
6%
Sugars
5.8g
Protein
1.3g
Vitamin A 3% • Vitamin C 24%
Calcium 2% • Iron 3%
Nutrition Grade C+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
CORN AND SUMMER SQUASH RATATOUILLE

□ 3 tbsp. olive oil
□ 1 onion, coarsely chopped
□ 1 clove garlic, crushed
□ 3 med. yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
□ 1 can imported whole tomatoes, crushed
□ 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
□ Salt and freshly ground black pepper
□ Pinch allspice
□ 4 ears fresh corn, kernels removed (or use 1 pkg. frozen deluxe corn, thawed)

Heat oil in skillet and cook the onion over low heat for 10 minutes or until it is soft, but not brown. Add garlic, squash, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and allspice. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until squash is soft. Add corn and stir thoroughly. Cook 20 minutes or until squash almost falls apart

This side dish is delicious served with grilled chicken or steak. Add a tossed green salad and you've got a complete summer meal.

SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and now I am sooo hungry....this corn and summer squash ratatouille sounds delicious! Might try it this weekend.
Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
cheesy squash casserole

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 sleeve crackers, crushed medium to fine (recommended: Ritz)
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash, onion, and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, Cheddar, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com