Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Grilled Salt and Pepper Squid (Calamari) Thai Dish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grilled Salt and Pepper Squid (Calamari) Thai Dish
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the dish I'll cook - I'll give it a shot. It's very simple [Razz] and I love simplicity. They say it's a Thai recipe but reading the ingredients, it appears to be a universal recipe, like baid 3eeyoon (sunny side eggs).

I'll pan fry 'em instead, can't be bothered with grilling right now. Too labor intensive and it's too damn hot.

-

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

SERVES 2 as a main entree, 4 as an appetizer
1/2 to 3/4 lb. cleaned/prepared calamari tubes, or enough for 2 people, fresh or frozen
3/4 tsp. ground white pepper (available in most spice aisles)
1 tsp. sea salt or regular salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
1/3 tsp. white pepper (now available in most supermarkets)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 lime

optional: 1 Tbsp. fish sauce, to taste (available at Asian stores)
1/4 cup fresh coriander, lightly chopped (for garnish)

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce to serve (available in the Asian aisle, or at your local Asian food store)

Preparation:
1.Using a knife, cut open the calamari tubes so that they lie flat.

2.Rinse the calamari and place on a tea towel or absorbent paper. Pat them dry. Dry them as well as possible, otherwise the spice mixture won't stick.

3.Cut the calamari lengthwise into strips (approx. 1 inch wide), and place in a mixing bowl.

4.Drizzle the oil over the calamari, ensuring
all surfaces are covered.

5.Mix the dry spices together in a cup or small bowl, then sprinkle over the oiled calamari. Mix well until all the calamari strips are coated in the spices. Set aside to marinate while you heat up the grill.

6.Lightly brush your grill with oil, then cook the calamari until edges curl up (some strips may curl completely into a circle) - this only takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes each side, depending on the heat of your grill. Cooking tips: Try not to overcook the calamari, or it will turn rubbery instead of tender. If your grill bars are too wide (so that the calamari might fall through), use a fish cage or place a piece of banana leaf (or foil) over the grill surface and cook over it.

7.Place the calamari on a serving platter (if desired, over a bed of baby greens). Cut the 1/2 lime into wedges and squeeze over. Taste-test the calamari. If not salty enough, sprinkle over up to 1 Tbsp. fish sauce or a little more salt. If too salty for your taste, add more fresh-squeezed lime juice. Add a final sprinkling of fresh coriander.

8.Serve with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping. Note that this dish can be served as is (for an appetizer), or with rice for a complete meal. ENJOY!

To pan-fry the calamari indoors: Heat up your wok or frying pan (place the dry pan over medium-high heat for at least 1 minute). Add about 1 Tbsp. oil and swirl around, then add the calamari. Turn the heat down to medium and pan-fry 1-2 minutes per side, or until the calamari curls up around the edges. Again, don't overcook, or it will no longer be tender. Serve as instructed above, and enjoy!

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaiseafoodrecipes/r/saltandpepsquid.htm

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds also yummy .and its easy ...i even have the fish sauce.even have oysters sauce,,that might work..i will have to try this...thanks Dude [Wink]
here is an easy one also

Calamari Recipe  -

Ingredients

* 3 cups vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 12 squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
* 1 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish

Directions

1. Preheat oil in a heavy, deep frying pan or pot. Oil should be heated to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. In a medium size mixing bowl mix together flour, salt, oregano and black pepper. Dredge squid through flour and spice mixture.
3. Place squid in oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until light brown. Beware of overcooking, squid will be tough if overcooked. Dry squid on paper towels. Serve with wedges of lemon.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Micky.

I still didn't make it yet, as I want it to be a full meal. I did make the salad already using tomoatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives and feta cheese.

Was thinking what to serve as a side dish and settled on potato wedges. The potatoes will take about an 1 hour I guess just before their done, I'll cook the squid, which is cleaned and marinating in the fridge.

BTW I love your calamri recipe. I hope my recipe turns out something like the pic. [Big Grin]

When It's all done I'll upload a pic, even if it doesn't look great.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh potatoe wedges with sour cream, mayo and a pinch of chili powder and a pinch of cumin and a half squeeze of fresh lemon [Razz] ...mix it all together and dip the wedges in.....heaven
that's just a suggestion instead of regular ketchup

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh potatoe wedges with sour cream, mayo and a pinch of chili powder and a pinch of cumin and a half squeeze of fresh lemon [Razz] ...mix it all together and dip the wedges in.....heaven
that's just a suggestion instead of regular ketchup

Stop making my mouth water! [Razz] Wedges been the oven only 20 minutes.
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
OMG!!! A distaster. We'll report back after rectifying the situation.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
are you gonna try my dip [Razz] .now i am going to the store to buy some potatoes , see what you started Mister...i am hungry for that combo [Wink]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I didn't run away from this thread [Big Grin] It was just a very awkward day. I took a pic, but was too preoccupied for the day and evening [Big Grin]

The potato wedges turned out "dry and salty" just the way I love 'em. [Big Grin]

They Thai squid recipe turned out nothing like the pic, but they realized that was okay because I was frying them instead of grilling them.

Anyway so I decided to use your recipe (fried calamari minus the oregano - sorry babe - but I am too primitive with oregano as I just like it on my pizza)

Anyway so I could that as well. And It was cool, not picture perfect but it tasted good. [Smile]

Okay let me get the flash memory and upload it all. :-)

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
**Sorry for the retarded spelling in the previous post. I posted it with a speech recognition program. Probably have to readjust the settings**

Anyway here's the pic.

-

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
looking good , A ....one question though, what is that with the calamari on the dish ?
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
looking good , A ....one question though, what is that with the calamari on the dish ?

That my dear Chef is how the 1 inch calamari strips turned out when I pan fried them. [Smile] Zee Disaster. When I cooked them and saw how they looked, I knew they wouldn't please you [Big Grin]

Because you love delicious food but also pretty food ..hehehehe

They curled horizontally and not vertically, I even sliced them mildly diagonally so they'd look like the dishes in authentic Thai restaurants.....

tasted good though [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i thought it was celery ...oooppppps.looks good though
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky,

I have a question!

Take a look at my calamari. I used white flour and sunflower oil. Why did my calamari turn out light colored? And why do some others turn out darker brown?

You and I know that calamari can only be cooked/fried a few minutes. What makes them darker? Same thing for fish fillets?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
your calamari looks like mine..just right...all depends on the oil..if its old? OR THE KIND OF OIL..THE OLDER THE OIL THE DARKER THE PRODUCT
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
your calamari looks like mine..just right...all depends on the oil..if its old? OR THE KIND OF OIL..THE OLDER THE OIL THE DARKER THE PRODUCT

Thanks. I always thought it was more desirable to have darker colored seafood. So I guess my calamari and yours is the healthiest. [Smile] even if it is deep fried. [Razz]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
true, now the fish fillets i like darker but you have to cook them longer to get done..
calamari is suppose to look like yours. if you see darker ones then we all know the rubbery they will be...but sometimes it depends on the seasonings you use with the flour

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com