Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » shrimp fried rice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shrimp fried rice
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what i am having for dinner.....yummy , its gonna be so good [Razz]

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons rice wine or sake
* 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 2 cups chopped green onions
* 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
* 5 cups cooked Long-Grain Rice, chilled
* 1 pound medium shrimp, cooked, peeled, and coarsely chopped
* 1 (10-ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed

Preparation

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; set aside.

Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs; stir-fry 30 seconds or until soft-scrambled. Add onions and ginger; stir-fry 1 minute. Add rice, shrimp, and peas; stir-fry 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add broth mixture; toss gently to coat.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmm i love beef fried rice without veggies.. i am a sucker for ricey meals.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummy. [Smile]

I just had a bowl of spicy chicken breast molokhia.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This I made several times last month, in the micro wave and it takes about 3 minutes to assemble and 7 minutes to cook. But mine has more...

I use powdered trassi (fermented shrimp), ginger, laos, yellow root, frozen citrus leaves, frozen peas, sweet ketjap, fish sauce, oil, pepper, schrimps and parsley. Little sugar and some tomatopaste and some vinegar or tamarind paste. Sometimes I fry some onions, if I can spare the extra 5 minutes.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds great...i guess you can put anything you want in fried rice....i even add broccoli sometimes, always ginger
where do you get frozen citrus leaves?

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
sounds great...i guess you can put anything you want in fried rice....i even add broccoli sometimes, always ginger
where do you get frozen citrus leaves?

-

I think its called fresh kaffir lemon leaves, a thai staple. You buy then fresh but they freeze like a dream and keep their fragrance.

Parsley is always chopped up, put on a plate in the freezer, then collected in a cooled plastic container. No waste of yellowing leaves and it does not alter.

I was thinking of keeping cooked rice in the freezer for this dish, as I crave it very often...

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the freezing parsley tip! [Smile]

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will give this recipe a go. Been eyeing it for awhile now, might use mixed seafood in place of shrimp. Will also omit the wine/sake.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
The rice is cooling, peas thawing and broth boiling. About to get busy with an apron on, hat chef on too (haha! actually bandana).

The pineapple in the background is for dessert and the sawi hijau (mustard greens) will be a delicious leafy veggie dish, probably use Rachael Ray's mustard greens recipe. Not sure yet, might do something else.

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
The seafood is done, ah what flavorsome aroma. Luckily pets aren't allowed in the building, or else, a chorus of meows would be heard.

What I mentioned earlier was not Mustard Greens, here they are, cleaned trimmed and ready for cooking.

-

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Magnificent. [Smile] Haven't served yet but took a little taste of Micky's fried rice recipe out the wok and it is divine. That chick is an authority in pleasing taste buds. Will post final pic after the greens are done.

All that's left is to cut the pineapple. [Smile]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10/10 and frankly the best fried rice that I have ever eaten. The recipe for the greens can be found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/braised-mustard-greens-recipe/index.html

I cooked them her way but without the bacon (used garlic and chillies instead) and also without the sugar. I also used half the vinegar.

Special thanks to Micky for yet another excellent recipe. It's probably what I love most about the recipes she posts, they are all winners. My wife also have it a Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [Smile]

-

-

-

Now will chill and watch the Ju-On movie I fell asleep to last night.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

I notice you go for the fresh seafood and not a frozen mixture. Nice going. The greens you used are what the Surinamese call Amsoy. They love to brace it with salted meat and because of it bitterness it must be the healthiest food in the world. Amsoy can be preserved in vinegar for a snack, or to cook it with beef. Only recently I found out that Bittermelon is made like a sweet jam by some Surinamese, all dark red, nice next to meats and white rice. The Surinam kitchen in general is sweet because of the sweetness of the ingredients

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com