Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » What's For Dinner?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's For Dinner?
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post this in Micky's thread. But that probably would have been wrong as it would have bastardized her recipe.

So, I'll post it here.

Anyway this is a quick recipe that Micky gave me in the "what are you doing now thread." It was perfect for the occassion and first time that I ever had a side of fuul with steak.

-

Share your dinner.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like mexican food. mmmm i like steak and beans,but not all them cooked veggies.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that looks so good...good job A...how did it taste to you?
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
looks like mexican food. mmmm i like steak and beans,but not all them cooked veggies.

You're right, the fava beans could be substituted with pinto beans, add some mexican spices, and it'll be Mexican. The veggies are the best part. :-)
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
that looks so good...good job A...how did it taste to you?

Yes, it tasted good. [Smile] And very filling, so filling in fact, that I couldn't finish it.
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I cooked and ate this a short while ago. Absolutely delicious. Semi-Stir fried chicken fried rice and mussles. Yummy.

-

-

-

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
those mussels look great...mussels here are so much smaller..i had made them for a function at work...i just used white wine to steam them in and lots of garlic...served them in the stock or wine and fresh cilantro...very good also
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmmmmmm....drooling all over my keyboard here over those,specially the mussels,Exiled!!!

*drool....drool*

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Mmmmmmmmmm....drooling all over my keyboard here over those,specially the mussels,Exiled!!!

*drool....drool*

I knew you loved mussels and seafood in general. [Smile]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I had this about an hour ago, was great because I went to bed on an empty stomach and awoke around 4pm ...very hungry. I didn't cook this dish – my lady did. It's chicken cooked with potatoes, tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. And of course basmati rice.

The hot green chillies are just for me, she adds them before taking the chicken out the pot and then serving them to garnish myy plate. All seriousness I don't know anyone who can hang with me when it comes to spicy ... except maybe Indians.

-

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby cooked something very similar last Friday. It was delicious. The potatoes were home grown.
Tonight it's homemade cream and onion quiche with new potatoes again [Big Grin]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Hubby cooked something very similar last Friday. It was delicious. The potatoes were home grown.
Tonight it's homemade cream and onion quiche with new potatoes again [Big Grin]

Yes very delicious. So you plant your own veggies? That's cool. Man I wish I had it like that. I'm very picky with veggies, I used to laugh at Egyptians, how they pick the smallest bamia (okra), smallest carrots, smallest vegetables period.

Makes sense now.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i just had Chicken Piccata with broccoli and bow-tie pasta with grilled veggies

Chicken Piccata recipe

Ingredients

* 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
* All-purpose flour, for dredging
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 cup chicken stock
* 1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
* 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Directions

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
i just had Chicken Piccata with broccoli and bow-tie pasta with grilled veggies

Chicken Piccata recipe

Ingredients

* 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
* All-purpose flour, for dredging
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 cup chicken stock
* 1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
* 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Directions

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

Cool recipe. I love that the recipe/ingredients are simple (except for the brined capers).

Thanks Micky this seems cool. [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
capers usually come brined in a jar .they are just a salty substance...i usually rinse them off before using

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com