Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » is this a good buy for someone on a fixed income?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is this a good buy for someone on a fixed income?
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mom is disabled is this a good buy for her?i do not know much about computers.its like 60$ a week,

Premium Desktop - TV OFFER!

E-mail this product to a friend

Our Hi-Performance business computer system gives you the muscle you want for starting and running your own business.

Computer Specifications

Intel 2.4 Gigahertz Processor
3GB RAM Memory
320GB Hard Drive
CD-RW/DR-RW Drive
Stero Speakers
22" LCD Monitor
Integrated 10/100 Networking
Microsoft Operating System
2-Button Scroll Mouse
Extended 1-Year In-Home Service Warranty
Business Productivity Software Pack
104 Key Keyboard
*You will also receive:

Free 20" LCD HDTV

• 1680 x 1050 Resolution

• 500:1 Contrast Ratio

• Dual ATSC/NTSC tuners for Digital and Standard

TV broadcast reception

• AV Input Jacks for use with media players, DVR/VCRs,
video games, and more

• 15-pin VGA interface for use with computer systems

• Full-range stereo speakers (10W)

• Digital comb filter and noise reduction

• V-chip parental control, Closed-Caption, and

Electronic Program Guide support

• Multi-language on-screen display

• Wall-mountable design (VESA 100mm x 100 mm)

Free Color Printer

• Thermal Inkjet

• 1200 x 1200 DPI Black Print Quality

• 4800 x 1200 DPI Color Print Quality

• Prints up to 22 pages per minute

Free MP3 Player

• 1GB Memory

• Plays MP3 and WMA digital music files

• Mobile data storage function

• 3.5mm Headphones

• USB 2.0 Hi-Speed for fast file transfers

Free Digital Camera

• VGA (640x480) Resolution

• 8MB Built in Memory

• 1.1” Color CSTN Display

• Shutdown/Exposure/White Balance

• JPEG File Format

Free Software Package Includes:

• TurboBackup 7.1

• Britannica Desktop Encyclopedia

• Budget Express

• Typing Instructor

• Cyber Patrol Parental Controls

• Typing Instructor Deluxe

• Open Office (word processing, presentations, and spreadsheets)

• Games (Sudoku, Mahjongg, Board Games, and More!)

*Free items are provided with your paid purchase. Certain restrictions apply. The free items offered are the current specifications of what customers are receiving. The company does not keep all of these products in stock and reserves the right to substitute the free gifts with products of equal or greater speed/functionality/performance.

-

Price: $1,809.00

http://www.tronixcountry.com/p-39-premium-desktop-tv-offer.aspx

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ausipeet
Member # 16653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausipeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bit on the dear side and the software they add is way no good. Would also be good to know what operating system will be installed, the main processor is not to good again its an older version,
Also you need to know what sort of Graphics Card is included.
thats my ten cents worth hope this helps somewhat

Posts: 121 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By for her a 500 USD something laptop and a wifi modem so she can take it everywhere with her, even to bed or if she sits in a wheelchair she can use it in her favourite spot in the apartment.

This sytem is way toooo much for her. Or would she really use a PC for TV?? I mean the normal terrestrial or celestial broadcast range does not satisfy her? TVs are usually still much more comfy - not healthy to sit so close to a small screen all day.

In way of my opinion .. [Smile]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tina these guys are right...get a laptop for her ..go to best buy , they have very nice laptops for under 600.00
http://www.bestbuy.com/

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mom doesnt want a lap top she uses it mainly for viewing movies.and it comes with a free flat screen television and mp3 and printer and the one she has now is my first pc its old and run way down.and she cant afford a new pc at the store she she always rents to own.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come, where does she live?? No decent DESKTOP should cost more than say 200 USD and flat monitors come from around 60 USD. 20" HDTV.. around 100 USD. Total: 360 USD but no way more than 500 USD... I am quoting price3s in Egypt here where they add 40% import tax on anything. In the States all prices should be halved, I guess.
Can she really afford to waste 1300 USD on top of it??? I doubt she needs the "MP3 player" or even the cheap digital camera they are throwing in, together another, say, 50 USD. Printers.. again 30-60 USD. No way do I come to even half the price of that monster package here...

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
hahaha i have never seen either that cheap. where do u live i will sure look there. here a cheap monitor is 300$ and a cheap desk top is 400$ she lives down the street from me in marshalltown.i just paid 125$ on my printer. a kodak. but u can get a cheap printer for arounf 30 here but mine is a printer as well and i can insert my usd card and get pics printer from my memore card.but u can get a cheap desktop for 300 without a moniter and mouse and keyboard here. its way more expensive here in usa than in egypt hun.for a good computer u will be spending at least 1000$ without a printer and all the other things.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

nevermind
Member # 6674

Hmm... I've always known all cheap electronics come from the US... Europe is supposed to be expensive! Small markets, everyone adding their margins to make a living. I do not think a retired mom needs top of the range gear and these specifications here look just like someone needs to sell off a lot of slightly outdated gear that no one wants, so they add it all up to make it look like you get a lot.. The printer they offer is Inkjet too, not laser.

Anyway looks like you need a local market "expert" then, not one from Egypt [Big Grin]

My most recent is from the village compushop here in Menoufeya, hubby went with a local IT geek and bought the details, one by one, then they sat and connected it all... cost me around 1000LE. After almost two decades of very decent laptops - my last two were IBM Thinkpads - I do not complain!... Computers are such simple things nowadays, really.

Flat monitors 600-800LE - abundance! and getting cheaper each day. How come the US is so exp??? These things coming all from China anyway.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
Hmm... I've always known all cheap electronics come from the US... Europe is supposed to be expensive! Small markets, everyone adding their margins to make a living. I do not think a retired mom needs top of the range gear and these specifications here look just like someone needs to sell off a lot of slightly outdated gear that no one wants, so they add it all up to make it look like you get a lot.. The printer they offer is Inkjet too, not laser.

Anyway looks like you need a local market "expert" then, not one from Egypt [Big Grin]

My most recent is from the village compushop here in Menoufeya, hubby went with a local IT geek and bought the details, one by one, then they sat and connected it all... cost me around 1000LE. After almost two decades of very decent laptops - my last two were IBM Thinkpads - I do not complain!... Computers are such simple things nowadays, really.

Flat monitors 600-800LE - abundance! and getting cheaper each day. How come the US is so exp??? These things coming all from China anyway.

cas here they can charge what they want..

$142.00
Acer 21.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor, 1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, 20,000:1, 16:9 , VGA + DVI (w/ HDCP), P215HBbd

thats at walmart.so maybe they are gettin cheaper i donno

nevermind
Member # 6674

Sure they are getting cheaper. And you don't need an Acer, unless you WANT an Acer (but then that's a different thing - when you want, you just want). Acer is a brand already and probably good but probably also too good [Big Grin]

Mine right now is "eNVISON". Ever heard? Me neither, but it works! Even comes with pretty decent integrated speakers.

Those Walmart places are usually pretty expensive for anything than the weekly offer [Smile] . They know you go there because you wan to get it all easily and from one place, and not too knowledgeable perhaps, so they put just any price that looks OK. Go to a cheap suburb computer geek shop and see what they have there.. Unless they have some kind of anti-import programme so you do get only DELLS or HPs.

Anyway, do some research unless you or mom are really angry at your money [Smile] and do not be afraid you'll be late - the more you wait, the cheaper they get. Me personally would get me a return ticket to Egypt for that money, spend a nice month in sun, and return with the computer, monitor and TV, for approximately same total price, if you swear good cheap stuff is nonexistant on US market. Or take mom with you, stay a week, if search for offers (flights) carefully, and still return with PC and TV also.

Right, am I, uh?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
hahaha i have never seen either that cheap. where do u live i will sure look there. here a cheap monitor is 300$ and a cheap desk top is 400$ she lives down the street from me in marshalltown.i just paid 125$ on my printer. a kodak. but u can get a cheap printer for arounf 30 here but mine is a printer as well and i can insert my usd card and get pics printer from my memore card.but u can get a cheap desktop for 300 without a moniter and mouse and keyboard here. its way more expensive here in usa than in egypt hun.for a good computer u will be spending at least 1000$ without a printer and all the other things.

Tina i just got a printer for 60 bucks...it scans copies and the pictures come out perfect even has a fax ...AT BEST BUY [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tina, I have not had good experience with Dell. I will not buy another one.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the time you pay all the payments you will have spent enough to buy 3 computers! Walmart has a desktop I think for around $398 this week which is pretty good. It's an Acer which is what I have and I have never had any problems with mine.

Also you can sometimes go to computer repair shops and buy them refurbished for a lot less but you have to pay cash.

I know the pain of not having the cash to put out all at once....

Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
aint that the truth. we use emachines. they are a good brand for computers. i havent had any probs yet that cant be reformatted lolol...
we are not sure what she wants to do yet. if i can keep her addicted ass off of the jewlery channel long enough to decide. god shes addicted to diamonds and sh it...

--------------------

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My laptop is a Dell. £350 (they wanted £100 for the key code to unlock Word and the standard software though, WTF!). I've had it just over a year and no probs (touch wood), although I think the battery is on its last legs. My dad has a Dell PC that's nearly ten years old. Still going strong, despite the fact he turns it off by flicking the mains switch [Roll Eyes] All the PCs at my office are Dells. I suppose they're popular here because they're reasonably reliable for the money.

I don't know how it works there, but when I bought my Toshiba (never again) I managed to get them to knock a couple of hundred of quid off and throw in a stack of software. It was a long time ago though and much more expensive. With this laptop I was lucky to get the carrier bag. But if they look like they've had a quiet day worth a try, always.

You could always block the shopping sites and play dumb [Smile]

I couldn't see how many weeks you'd be paying the $60 for though. For what it's worth, if I were buying on tick, I'd be doing it with a 0% credit card rather than these kind of offers where they really stick it on.

Ooh, and the laptop plays movies like a dream.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dell is crap and their service is garbage. Never buy Dell.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had to use their service so I wouldn't know. Actually, that isn't true. I remember ages ago I was looking to buy a PC I had one of their special offers through the post. So I rang them about five times just to order and pay for the damned thing. Either their line was shut or system down (not very inspiring) or finally will call you back (but never did - not even just to take my money!). I'd forgotten about that.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com