Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Cherry tomatoes, mozzerella, basil and pepper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cherry tomatoes, mozzerella, basil and pepper
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have those ingredients.

Need to use up the tomatoes fast, like next 2 days.

I had thought there was a recipee for these ingredients here, and I don't have portabella mushrooms nor do I have any pocket money to buy any before the tomatoes go bad.

Any ideas folks?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Search "Napoli recipes" or "Naples recipes", mostly all foods in South Italy consists of exactly those ingredients. The best pizza i ever had on napoli streets was one mozzarella plus ham and one mozzarella plus tomato. All. Full stop.
Do you have flour? Then make pizza bottom from flour and water, never mind if you do not get is so perfect, then put mozzarella and tomatoes, bake, garnish with the rest

or classical Capri salad: cut everything and mix in bowl with some oil, or if are snob then layer them in some geometrical order on a plate and sprinkle w oil.

But they make tens of foods there basically consisting of tomatoes and mozzarella, possibly also eggplant, in Italy.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tomato gravy over toast

cook the tomatoes with onions till the are very soft add salt and pepper,add a little water , bring to a boil.thicken with a little corn starch, ladle over buttered toast...awesome [Razz]

make home spaghetti sauce, and freeze it in little containers for further use
there are so many things you can do with theses

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a salid with tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella... drizzle with olive oil and salt a pepper. mmmmm [Smile]

....You can make salsa from the tomatoes. I make a roasted salsa that is really good.

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Panzanella

- 6 oz (200 g) stale country bread, cut in thick dice
- 10 small and nicely ripe/juicy tomatoes, or 6 medium, or 4 large, cut in wedges
- half a large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 small sweet red onions (the original recipe calls for cipolliti rossi - dolci), thinly sliced
- a small bunch of fresh basil (about 15 stems)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt, freshly-ground pepper

(Serves 4.)

Place the bread in a large salad bowl, add the tomatoes, and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes, as the bread absorbs the juices from the tomatoes and softens.

Pluck the basil leaves and tear them into bits. Add the cucumbers, onions, and basil to the bowl, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Toss gently to mix, preferably with your hands.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. At the last minute, add in the vinegar, taste and adjust the seasoning.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D_Oro I'll go with your recipe. I am trying to avoid processed grains right now.

My mom and a good friend will be south-beaching later on and I am trying to experiment with avoiding certain foods.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the Capri salad she/he suggested [Smile]

Panzanella is my new find from here - perfect for those long coptic fasting periods when you simply cry for some difference.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you will love it nevermind,,,suggestion, try to find crusty hard bread , and let it soak as long as you can...the flavors are so good [Razz] [Wink]
athurart09
Member # 18074

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for athurart09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

--------------------
Watch Machete Online Free

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
D_Oro I'll go with your recipe. I am trying to avoid processed grains right now.

My mom and a good friend will be south-beaching later on and I am trying to experiment with avoiding certain foods.

Oh good, I had tomato plants in my garden so we ate this often, it was wonderful. I had so much fun I am planing a bigger garden for next year. [Smile]

Another way that I have served it is to slice the tomato and add one layer of each the cheese and basil. It looks nice but to me it is a bit more difficult both to make and eat. The basil doesn't cut easily with a fork.

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by D_Oro:
quote:

Oh good, I had tomato plants in my garden so we ate this often, it was wonderful. I had so much fun I am planing a bigger garden for next year. [Smile]

Another way that I have served it is to slice the tomato and add one layer of each the cheese and basil. It looks nice but to me it is a bit more difficult both to make and eat. The basil doesn't cut easily with a fork.

use a knife? [Big Grin] [Wink]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
I am growing beef steak and heirloom tomatoes.

Any fruit gets within 16 inches of the ground the furkcing rabbits nibble at it.

Makes me crazy!

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am growing beef steak and heirloom tomatoes.

Any fruit gets within 16 inches of the ground the furkcing rabbits nibble at it.

Makes me crazy!

You got it easy with cute rabbits, and coyote urine should do the trick. Here it's damn lizards, and I'm not talking about geckos like in Egypt. Can't even leave the bedroom balcony window open at night. Caught two already in my bedroom.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
buying coyote pee is difficult what would also make the display of coyote piss a bad choice is how it would inspire aggression in dogs.

Particularly my mothers dog (the plants are at mommy's house) and the errant dog a few houses down would probably tear the **** out of each other.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can order via Amazon. But you're probably right about the dogs running amok. Here's a review that may or may not give you a chuckle.

“I am not sure why this product is advertised as a "lure", since it is obviously meant to repel deer and other creatures wary of coyotes. I myself do not have deer problems, living in a Manhattan condo, but I do have a rather willful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Sir Winston who aggravates me to no end with his aggressive behavior, incessant barking, and refusal to obey my commands. Quite simply, I just don't get no respect from him. I have tried discipline, bribery, psychotherapy, and even physical restraints, but nothing works. After Sir Winston chewed up and peed on my $1200 Amedeo Testoni loafers, I knew I had to get serious.

The coyote urine smelled no different from the hundreds of other urine I have smelled. Perhaps I was expecting something gamier or muskier than your average urine. For a moment I was afraid that someone might have simply urinated into the container, trying to pass it off as coyote urine. Brushing my doubts aside, I went to the bathroom, removed my shirt, and then liberally applied the coyote urine to my body--under my chin, on my torso, rubbing it into my arms--until I fairly reeked of the pungent odor. I stepped out of the bathroom and called to Sir Winston. Not surprisingly, nothing happened. I went to search for him and found him in the kitchen, peeing on my Cuisinart. The moment I came in, however, his body seemed to tense, and he turned around quickly, whimpered, scrambled off the counter and ran to the living room to hide under the sofa. I followed him to the sofa, got down on my hands and knees, and called to Sir Winston. He responded with a high-pitched whine. You can imagine how powerful and in-charge I felt.

"Sir Winston!" I yelled, "Come out now and face your master!" Sir Winston crawled out, crouching low, and looked up at me with humility and fear. "I am top dog now, and you will obey me!" Sir Winston actually seemed to nod his head--quite a change from his usual response of biting my ankle. "Go now to your room and repent your past disobedience!" I yelled, and then, for good measure, I flexed my chest and arms and growled, "ARRRRGGGHHH!!!" Sir Winston bolted to his room as if the very Devil himself were chasing him.

My success with Sir Winston has led to my wearing coyote urine all the time and growling whenever anyone crosses me. The other junior partners at the firm where I work have developed a new respect for me, and even the senior partners have begun to give me a wide berth. I am now experimenting with other predator urine, including wolf and bear, but coyote remains my favorite”.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Good Golly thats funny. Sent it to my mom with her psycho (but lovable) aussie shepard. Mother didn't think it was so funny.
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
[Smile] I knew that would crack you up. Your mom on the other hand, lacks a sense of humor. [Big Grin]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Mom is a lutheran naturally she has little sense of humor.

Its funny, very funny.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com