Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » black bean burgers, @#*^ keep falling apart!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: black bean burgers, @#*^ keep falling apart!!!
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they taste like crap too. Now I have 3 gallons of this stuff in my freezer.

INGREDIENTS:
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch
pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled 1 egg
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
DIRECTIONS:
1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

Thats the recipe, mind you I threw in corn and shredded squash/zucchini. But I am sitting here googling for a few days reading all these black bean burger recipes in which the comments are claiming that the recipes are great, easy and "stick together".

Half of the comments claiming it took them no longer than 20 minutes to put together is from moms with small children. I've got to laugh because my sister has three small kids and she can't take a sh*t without being interrupted 4 times. Amazing how much people lie online.

Seriously I know vegetarians who have done the vegan thing for over a decade, none of them claim to be able to perfect the veggie burger in less than 2 hours without a burger press or some sort of mechanism. I heard one vegetarian claim it took her 3 years of trying to make a decent veggie burger.

Why do people need to pretend they are more capable than others and can do the impossible on the first try?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for this heartfelt piece, because I now know I'm not the only one who has experienced great failures in the kitchen. My solution would be to rather baste the patties with the egg wash and cover them with the breadcrumbs, and then fry the lot or grill them in an oven. But when you grill there will be a need of fat to get all the flavours moving to your taste buds. So either one puts some fat in the patty, or on top of the patties, or a nice, fat rich sauce.
Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com