Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » YOUR FAVOURITE EGG-PLANT DISH, PLEASE!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: YOUR FAVOURITE EGG-PLANT DISH, PLEASE!
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STUFFED EGGPLANT PARMESAN

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 medium eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and hollowed out to 1/4 inch flesh rim
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* freshly ground black pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
* 2 cups tomato sauce
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Roughly chop eggplant centers, and add to pan with onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Spoon mixture back into eggplant, and sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and parsley. Place in a shallow baking dish, and cover with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggplant is fork-tender and cheese is bubbly

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness, I'm already drooling.

-

Well, I have this simple recipe where you make a normal tomato sauce for pasta, adding finely chopped egg-plant, aubergine, cook nicely, then proces to make an ultra fine sauce. Mix with the spagetti. It will taste so creamy without any cream or cheese. I first peel half of the peel away.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is a simple one for you ......

Steamed Eggplant With Asian Dressing

Ingredients -
4 Japanese Eggplants or 2 regular eggplants
2 tablespoons Red Rice Vinegar
2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1/4 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1-1/2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar

Preparation:

1. Remove stems from eggplants.

2. Cut eggplant lengthwise. Cut each lengthwise again, to make 4 quarters.

3. Steam eggplant in vegetable steamer over boiling water 5 minutes.

4. Remove from heat. Allow cooling.

5. Combine red rice vinegar, light soy sauce, vegetable oil, sesame oil and sugar in small bowl.

6. Serve over steamed eggplant.

soup? [Razz]

Eggplant Parmigiana Soup
Incredible soup recipe based on a classic Italian dish. Sauteed onion and garlic, combined with eggplant in a chicken broth and tomato juice soup base. Seasoned with parsley, thyme, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Topped with grated Mozzarella.
Ingredients -
1 cup Olive Oil
6 Onions, chopped
6 cloves of Garlic, minced
6 Eggplants, peeled and cubed into 1" pieces
12 cups Fresh Chicken Broth or Stock
6 cups Tomato Juice
1 1/2 cups Parsley, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons Thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons Salt
1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Garnish:
Mozzarella cheese

Preparation:

1. Add oil to stockpot. Saute onion and garlic about 2 minutes until tender.

2. Add eggplant, chicken broth, tomato juice, parsley and thyme.

3. Bring soup to a boil over medium heat.

4. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.

5. Garnish individual servings with grated mozzarella.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
STUFFED EGGPLANT PARMESAN

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 medium eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and hollowed out to 1/4 inch flesh rim
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* freshly ground black pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
* 2 cups tomato sauce
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Roughly chop eggplant centers, and add to pan with onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Spoon mixture back into eggplant, and sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and parsley. Place in a shallow baking dish, and cover with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggplant is fork-tender and cheese is bubbly

had this for dinner tonight...incredible [Razz]
the only thing i would change in the recipe is too either peel the eggplant or par-boil it first as the skin was tough to chew ...didnt seem quite done enough, but the inside was great [Smile]

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
had this for dinner tonight...incredible [Razz]
the only thing i would change in the recipe is too either peel the eggplant or par-boil it first as the skin was tough to chew ...didnt seem quite done enough, but the inside was great [Smile] [/QB]

This outcome worries me. Did you have the oven on heat from below and from up, or just a grill?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
on heat from below...it said 325 degrees but i think it should be higher ...like 375. i am going to try it again but semi cook the eggplant before stuffing it
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sambal Tumis Terung

(Fried eggplants with chili and tamarind)

4 eggplants
dried chili
garlic
onion
tamarind paste

1. Boil 7-10 stalks of dried chili
2. When they are soggy, soak them in cold water and remove the seeds (or leave them in for added hotness)
3. Blend these with half a large onion and 6 cloves of garlic
4. Fry your aubergines seperately and remove them once they're soft.
5. In a wok, heat some oil. When its crackling, put in the blend of chili, onion and garlic
6. Wait till the oil rises, then add a little tomato paste.
7. Add some salt and tamarind paste (half a tsp should do)
8. When the mixture has oil rising to the top, add the aubergines
9. Toss it a bit and off the fire. Pour some fried onions on it for crunchiness

10. Serve with basmati rice or bread

-

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
on heat from below...it said 325 degrees but i think it should be higher ...like 375. i am going to try it again but semi cook the eggplant before stuffing it

Perhaps if you had first covered it with aluminium foil, or a proper lid, and then the last ten minutes set to brown? Eggplant has a delicate aroma and to pre-cook does not sound like the right thing to do.

You know that I can already smell it!

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:

Sambal Tumis Terung

(Fried eggplants with chili and tamarind)

4 eggplants
dried chili
garlic
onion
tamarind paste

You DO know your way to a Surinamese hart!
This is truly new to me and I will try it. Love the simplicity. We usually make egg plant with dried shrimps and salted meat. Or dip slices in eggwash and fry them.

But beware, it's a sambal, a spicy side dish.
You will need some cooling stuff beside it and I recommend rice boiled in coconut milk. Not the beastly stuff they sell in cans, which they should be hanged for, but real milk pressed from freshly grated coconut squeezed with your own sweet hands.

Perhaps some tahoe, or tempé, or whole eggs in a good sauce as the main dish?

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:

This was given to me by a friend from Malaysia. [Cool]

quote:

This is truly new to me and I will try it. Love the simplicity.

I've made it several times and love the fact that it's so simple, quick, and tasty.

quote:

For me, it can't be spicy enough. I actually used more chilis than the recipe required.  -

quote:

Perhaps some tahoe, or tempé, or whole eggs in a good sauce as the main dish?

Good idea! Some protein dish on the side would be a perfect addition.  -
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most famous egg-plant dish of Turkish cuisine

Imam Bayıldı (Imam fainted [Big Grin] )

-

4 small eggplants
3/4 cup sunflower oil or olive oil

Filling:
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium tomato, diced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
Salt

Garnish:
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

For each eggplant, peel alternating strips of skin lengthwise as seen in the picture. Sprinkle salt on top and put aside for about 20 minutes. Squeeze, wash and dry them with a paper towel. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and fry every side until nicely colored. Cut a slit in each eggplant and scoop out most of the seeds, making sure they don't fall apart. Place them in a clean pan.

Meanwhile cook all the filling ingredients in a small pot on medium heat for about 12-13 minutes. All the water should evaporate. Stir constantly towards the end.

Fill the eggplants equally with the filling using a teaspoon. Pour in 1/2 cup of water in the pan from the side. Cover the lid. Cook on medium heat until almost all the water evaporates. Let cool first, then place on a service plate. Garnish with parsley.

This dish is one of the most well-known olive oil dishes in Turkish Cuisine and it's very tasty. You can serve it as an entree or after your main course.

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2006/03/eggplant-with-veggie-filling.php

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
Most famous egg-plant dish of Turkish cuisine

I will make it!

quote:
[QB]
quote:
[qb]

This was given to me by a friend from Malaysia.
We Surinamese are most fortunate to have all nationalities and kitchens among us. So we have the Javanese, and sambal is just soooo us. Yet I have never come across this recipe. The Javanese tend to make some dishes only for home use.
And my last trip to French Guyana (S.A.) showed they have a large contingent S.E. Asians and have all these wonderful dishes. I spent some time eating at a Asian market on my way to the airport.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Today I bought the tamarind pulp for the egg plant sambal, and Surinam scottish bonnet peppers. About five, but I will need only a halve, then put the rest in vinegar for further use. They can also be saved in rum, and you use both the pepper and the peppery juice.

The tamarind paste can be mixed with cold water and ice cubes and makes a wonderful fast lemonade. The container says it contains only tamarind and water.

CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaSaLiNGa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about George Costanza's Eggplant Calzone?

http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php?eggplant=1794

Posts: 15 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by CaSaLiNGa:

I will try it and will let it cool down first before I tuck in; Calzone always burns my tongue!
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
quote:

[QUOTE][qb]

For me, it can't be spicy enough. I actually used more chilis than the recipe required.  -

I made this recipe two days ago for lunch and it was sensational. The tamarind is a stroke of genius. Savoury, soothing and stimulating as the pepper invigorates you, it gives you a workout from the inside out. When people say they love heat, I usually assume they are not acquainted with our ‘Madame Jeanette,’ the name we reserve for our Scottish Bonnet peppers. You really have to find out how much you can take, and in general we do not use the seeds in a normal main dish. The real Surinam way is to place a whole, unbroken pepper on top of the stew or pilav like dishes to give off its aroma, without any heat. The pepper itself or some sambal or peppery relish is offered separately. When they are green they are mild and you can eat them on bread, with some cheese, but always without the seeds. Yet there are those who put the whole thing in their mouth like others would eat a cherry.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Glad you liked it.  -

Are you originally from Surinam?

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Glad you liked it.  -

Yes dear, I left when I was twenty, and now I'm good and ready to go back to grow those long string beans, tomatoes and cassava. Read about Suriname, its almost like paradise. And we believe in eating all the time. It takes food, energy to cool down, because the heat and the humidity are exhausting.

Where are you residing?

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Yes dear, I left when I was twenty, and now I'm good and ready to go back to grow those long string beans, tomatoes and cassava. Read about Suriname, its almost like paradise.

I did, it seems to be a lovely place.

I noticed there is quite a big community of Surinamese people in Amsterdam.

quote:

Where are you residing?

German in Egypt. [Cool]
mochito
Member # 18060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mochito     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in the Philippines the most famous eggplant dish is known as the "torta"...
Eggplant is battered and covered with scrambled eggs and oil, and then fried...
Eaten usually with ketchup or fish sauce [Smile]

--------------------
Website Conversion | gogi juice

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my mom's "EGGPLANT PARMESAN". It's very different from the one Mickey posted, which is the type served in Olive Garden, I was so surprised when I ordered theirs because the recipe below is what I grew up knowing as "EGGPLANT PARMESAN". My mothers Italian and everyone loves this dish. I want to post it in her memory. ENJOY! [Smile]

Rose's Eggplant Parmesan:

Slice eggplant, boil, and squeeze good with a plate.
Sauce down.
Beat egg and mix with eggplant.
Add garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese.

Layer this eggplant mix with, sauce, and mozzarella.

Bake

NOTE: The sauce is the same as you would use for spaghetti.

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps. I left out a layer of Ricotta cheese.

I can't remember if my mom did this but I do.

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mochito:
Here in the Philippines the most famous eggplant dish is known as the "torta"...
Eggplant is battered and covered with scrambled eggs and oil, and then fried...
Eaten usually with ketchup or fish sauce [Smile]

this looks really good..mochito
http://chowtimes.com/2010/06/12/filipino-cuisine-eggplant-torta/

Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a popular egyptian dish i make

mousa'a (dont know how to spell it in english)

peeled cut up eggplant set in cold water
potatoes
onions
peppers
ghee
cumin
tomato sauce

in a large pot sautee julienned onions and bell peppers on ghee

add sauce, water and sliced potato

add cumin salt and pepper

when potatoes are done, add sliced eggplant
by this point the water should be reduced and you can now turn up the heat and fry

when the eggplant is tender, remove from pot and chill.

eat with pita bread.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukez:

potatoes
onions
peppers
ghee
cumin
tomato sauce

by this point the water should be reduced and you can now turn up the heat and fry

eat with pita bread.

Moussaka ?
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Not Moussaka! For that you will use fried slices of egg plant as if they were the lasagna leaves in a lasagna. No? But Momma Dukes recipe sounds unusual, as does the Torta posted by mochito from the Phillipines. I'm already worried by things sticking to the pan!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
use cooking spray
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
use cooking spray

Yes I could..but I'm so old fashioned! I always ask how cooks in the old days would prevent sticking.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
good question...i think they used Lard, my granny did
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
good question...i think they used Lard, my granny did

My method is washing, then pre-heating an empty pan to git rid of all the moisture, then present fat, oil, butter or a mix of both. Ingredients should be dried and/or the pan should be shaken like crazy. I mentioned earlier hitting it against the sink, not banging, just a little flick. Meat does not stick if fried along with the chopped onion. But sometimes nothing really works. Perhaps I should retire my pots and pans and buy this NASA, airspace stuff they are showing at Sell TV. But the rubber oven tins also need greasing otherwise the muffins might loose some crust, no? Then there is a thin black sheet you use like baking paper, which is an absolute dream. If there is a fire, its the first thing I will save.
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not Moussaka! For that you will use fried slices of egg plant as if they were the lasagna leaves in a lasagna. No? But Momma Dukes recipe sounds unusual, as does the Torta posted by mochito from the Phillipines. I'm already worried by things sticking to the pan!

no its not moussaka. its not layered or anything. its more like a thick stew used for pita bread.

its not unusual either...its a very popular dish in egypt and even here in brooklyn with the many egyptian and middle eastern take out/dine in spots, its on all of their menus. the one place you go in, and its right there steaming behind the glass, along with kufta, loobia and koshary.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

[Biber salcasi]

Momma Dukes, are you a novelist? I used to marvel at your pieces using literary techniques. If not you are a natural talent. You commented on Madame de Recamier. But I wonder at this great divide on this forum, like one side of the fence is a free for all, and here there is a feeling of moderation by a moderator. You know, if they could only weed out the twenty or so nicks some people are using at the same time...

I made some spiral pasta. I have recently read again that after bringing pasta to a good boil you can turn of the fire and it will cook on its own heat. The spiral kind cooks quickly, so this technique is useful. The tomato sauce was based in ground meat, half pork-half beef as is Dutch tradition, with pieces of egg plant. I use one can chopped tomatoes and one small can of tomato paste. My personal touch is paprika paste from the Turkish supermarket. Great if you use it for the Bulgur Pilaf.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slice eggplant very thin lengthwise

place pieces flat in toaster oven or broiler

brown slightly on one side

remove from oven

turn over

mix mayonnaise with soy sauce

spread lesser uncooked turned over side

return to oven

cook a bit

Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
slice eggplant very thin lengthwise

place pieces flat in toaster oven or broiler

brown slightly on one side

remove from oven

turn over

mix mayonnaise with soy sauce

spread lesser uncooked turned over side

return to oven

cook a bit

I love the simplicity. To be eaten on bread? I have never dared to mix mayo with soy sauce, but why not? How did you manage to get this avatar, I thought they only give their own selection? Is this you?

-

[Dried Kentjoer]

For french fries or sateh, marinated meatcubes roasted on a bamboo stick, or crunchy boiled vegetables;I make a quick peanut sauce/ dip. any pot of peanut butter will do, but one with large pieces and only salt will do best. I hate the dextrose they put in it.

Grind dried peppers
ground kentjur, a white dried root: like trassi essential to the true taste
Trassi: fermented schrimpaste, dried, powdered
salt, sugar, vinegar or tamarind paste
sweet ketjap: soy sauce
some water

Mix with a great dollop of peanutbutter and just keep on stirring. Tinning with water if to thick.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukez:

potatoes
onions
peppers
ghee
cumin
tomato sauce

eat with pita bread.

I did make this yesterday, and the novelty to me is the cummin seed. But I will work on the order of the steps. This recipe reminds me of Turkish kizartmis(h), sometimes fried patatoes in a tomatoey souce. I will look up kizartmis(h). Not very easy, kizartmis means fried in general, but I was strucked by the idea of putting the fried thing in a sauce. I fried patato cubes in deep oil then dropped it in a tomato sauce, but Sinan my then culinary adviser, said the the fried patatoes were too fried. I experimented to do this in a oven with the patato pieces first boiling in the sauce and then something like a french gratin when the tomatosauce has nearly evaporated.

I remember my guests wulving it down with bread!

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean 'kızartma' Egmond? And some of those pics what you mean?? http://www.google.com.tr/images?hl=tr&q=k%C4%B1zartma&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1272&bih=582
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by D_Oro:
ps. I left out a layer of Ricotta cheese.

I can't remember if my mom did this but I do.

Thank you!
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by CaSaLiNGa:

Will make a version of this tomato-free calzone tonight!
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Glad you liked it.  -

I made your recipe again at 4.30 in the morning. The rice was boiled with salt and some oil to make it more festive. Leftover rice will make some mexican-like fried rice tomorrow.

For speed I chopped the eggplant in cubes, fried it in a hot pan with oil, the salted, chopped onion and hot pepper. Added tomato paste, water, vinegar, sugar. I ran out of tamarind.

The kitched was filled with choking pepper fumes, which made me cough, next sneaze. It was a hell of a breakfast. There is some left for later.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Eggplant Caponata Crostini

Ingredients

1. One 1 1/2-pound eggplant
2. Kosher salt
3. 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4. 1 small red onion, sliced
5. 1 tablespoon drained capers
6. 1 tablespoon chopped kalamata olives
7. 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
8. 1/2 cup tomato sauce or puree
9. Freshly ground pepper
10. 40 thin toasted slices of baguette, for serving
11. 1 tablespoon chopped basil

Directions

1. Quarter the eggplant lengthwise. Scoop out the very seedy parts and discard. Cut the remaining eggplant into 1/2-inch dice. In a colander set in the sink, lightly salt the eggplant cubes and toss well. Top with a sturdy plate weighed down with a heavy can and let drain for 1 hour. Rinse the eggplant cubes and pat dry.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl.
3. Add the onion and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat until the onion is tender, about 6 minutes. Return the eggplant to the skillet. Stir in the capers, olives and balsamic vinegar and cook until the vinegar has evaporated. Add the tomato sauce and cook over low heat, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl to cool.
4. Shortly before serving, spread the caponata on the baguette toasts and garnish with the basil.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

The kitched was filled with choking pepper fumes, which made me cough, next sneaze. It was a hell of a breakfast. There is some left for later.

Could you beam it over?!  -
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
quote:

Could you beam it over?!  -
This is to show you my state of mind. I should be researching George III for my Jane Austen research, but I keep thinking about the little food in the big pan at home. My body is throbbing from the fiery sambal breakfast, so I think of food and cannot wait to get home.

I already tried some version of the Egg-plant Calzone, but with only part of the ingredients. This is really Haut Cuisine, with a delicate mix of flavours; not something you just wulf down. I imagine as a starter small, delicate Calzones, with a brittle crust and carefully dipping them in the tomato-ginger coulis.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
Do you mean 'kızartma' Egmond? And some of those pics what you mean?? http://www.google.com.tr/images?hl=tr&q=k%C4%B1zartma&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1272&bih=582

Yes, it should be kizartma and not kizartmis. Thank you. It's the idea of frying something first and then dropping them in a sauce, which appealed to me. I remember the Japanese also do this often, but first they rinse the fried pieces with hot water, before they proceed.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com