Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » HOW CRAZY ARE WE ABOUT LEEKS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HOW CRAZY ARE WE ABOUT LEEKS?
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW CRAZY ARE WE ABOUT LEEKS?

-

The other day I found a recipe for the simplest Leeks Clafoutis and made it within 24 hours. Mostly because of the name and it presented another way to use Brie Cheese. Clafoutis I knew with cherries as a simple dessert.

I used my own measures and it puffed up like a soufflé before settling down. Make sure to have 45 minutes of low heat, otherwise you will be chewing on the leeks, instead off them melting in your mouth.

I used to grow leeks myself. You plant them in summer and they wait patiently in the winter field, till you come and pull one out. I remember that mine gave me watery eyes, like onions. This I have never had with the store bought variety.

Leeks are mostly made by me into pies of the quiche type. Love the ones in Paris; they are not so dripping with grease as over here and you find them quite cheap everywhere. They can make a meal in a financial pinch.

Leeks
Onion
Milk or cream
Eggs
Butter
Brie Cheese
Flour
Salt
Black pepper
Fennel seed

Leeks, only the white stalks, cut in ten centimetre pieces, or the width of your ceramic dish.

Lightly sautéed in butter with the chopped onion for 5 minutes.

Whisk eggs with cream or milk, and flour; add salt and pepper and fennel seeds

Cut the Brie in slices, as many as the leeks stalks you are using.

Arrange the lightly fried leeks in the oven dish. Pour the onions into the batter, mix well. Pour the batter over the leeks. Make sure it reaches only to two-third of the dish as it will rise.

Place the Brie slices over the Leeks, lengthwise.

Place in an oven with the lowest setting and bake for 40 minutes. Not a minute less.

Eat with a light salad, like tomatoes in vinaigrette, balsamic sauce, with bread.

It’s very mild tasting but quite filling and you can improvise it with any additional ingredients or spices you fancy.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leeks go into fried rice or noodles or vegetable soup. Lightley fried or rather braced, they go into mashed patatoes.

A nice Dutch recipe for the left over leaves.

Cut into strips, lightley fry in butter, add milk, let boil about ten minutes till soft. Bind the sauce with maizena, add salt, black peper and nutmeg.

Eat with boiled patatoes and steamed fish

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cooked leeks with Brie in a croissant. yummy.
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
Cooked leeks with Brie in a croissant. yummy.

Just boiled? Cut finely?
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have mine raw, thank you. And please excuse the 'leek breath'
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJ
Member # 16726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leek and mushroom soup is one of my favs.

saute both.. then add cooking cream to suit, and allow to simmer until the flavors meld. YUM.

I LOVE LEEKS! [Smile]

Posts: 46 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

That's a nice idea. I use a mushroom soup block for the broth. Last year as I was wandering off the track in the park I came across a whole field of what looked like oyster mushrooms to me. But I was afraid to take any as I'm not an expert as such. But thinking, perhaps some Polish immigrants who were sometimes camping illegally in the park, scattered some spores in order to harvest.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
these look like green onions?

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
these look like green onions?

Leeks are much larger.

-

Wild leeks!

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are also great for livening up cauliflower cheese.Throw thin slices in with the califlower when precooking.
Or lightly cooked, thin slices, then sauted with wild mushrooms sprinkled with crushed coriander seeds.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaSaLiNGa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about those Mushrooms, really? I can only find Button Mushrooms here in Cairo. No, Shiitake, no Portobellos and not even dried mushrooms in the supermarkets.
Any help with that is highly appreciated!

Posts: 15 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
I was thinking more about the ones I used to collect from the field where my horses lived.
seen shitake in Fathalla, and others I can't name.
I guess buttons would be worth a try.
And throw in a few courgettes.

BTW. I can't cook really. Only dead easy, fast stuff that does not require too much messing with.

Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For dried mushrooms, try Alfa Market in Zamalek. They have quite a large selection of Asian food there and I have noticed big bags of dried mushies.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually prefer magic mushrooms. You got them in Egypt??? [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
They are a bit of a 'lad thing' aren't they? Bunch of guys giggling and farting.

I thought I saw some in the garden of my old villa, but didn't dare try them! in case they had dog pee. Small brownish grey like tiny elf hats? Is that right? Never had any. ['spent youth']

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Tigerlily:
I actually prefer magic mushrooms. You got them in Egypt??? [Wink]

bad girl [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
They are a bit of a 'lad thing' aren't they? Bunch of guys giggling and farting.

Are you sure about the farting?
Stay away from drugs, you are not missing anything.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com