Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Drinks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drinks?
CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaSaLiNGa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been asking almost everybody I know about their absolute favorite drink. I've been a Pepsi addict for as long as I can remember. I don't get thirsty for water, I crave Pepsi.
Recently I've been facing some intestinal problems, and I've been warned not to do any more of my beloved. It breaks my heart, really. But I'm finally at a place in my life where I'd want to become healthier.
So I need drink ideas, just something to drink along with lunch or dinner. No alcohol, obviously no soda and please, no water!
Help me, what's your favorite drink?!

Posts: 15 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could live on milk. Ice cold or red hot but never in the middle!

I was born with a hiatus hernia and milk is like a god send when it plays up!

Other than that I like beer lol... it makes other people more fun [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a Coca Cola addict. I crave it, like you crave Pepsi. But I know I must stop soon.
Other than that I do enjoy the occasional ice cold juice, especially apple and grape.
Icewater is good with dinner. Red wine is nice and beer sometimes.

Of course best to drink water only. But that is boring.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fruit smoothies
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agin! 2nd attempt on ropey stoopid internet.

It all depends on your intestinal problems.

For ecample, if you have diarrhea then fruit juices won't help but if you have contispation they will.

If you have Crohn's Disease you may suffer from lactose intolerance alongside so milk won't help but if you have gastro problems it can.

If you have IBS fennel will help but soda won't.

Do you know which intestinal problem you have?

To be on the safe side I would drink water and tbh, in this climate it is good for you whole body [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaSaLiNGa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your thorough replies, Cheekyferret!
I have IBS-C. And I'm tolerant to all foods, no allergies or anything.
Quitting Pepsi is just a part of the lifestyle change that I should apply. They say I should be less stressful, eat breakfast (I never do!), eat more fibers (which I think is very hard, given I dislike most of veggies and I only eat red fruit) and quit soda intake since it's really only making things worse, given that my usual dosage is 3-4 cans per day!
So you can imagine what kind of extensive headache I'm typing through here. The lack of caffeine is taking it's toll on me and it's only my 2nd day clean!

I truly dislike water, I know it's hard to comprehend, but I do! I've tried the lemon squeeze on it, but no, it's not my thing.
What is tbh? I don't know. =)

Posts: 15 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tbh: to be honest

why only red fruit???? so only Apples and what ?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
Oh, thanks!
I thought tbh was something else to drink, well, other than water that is! Silly me.. [Big Grin]
I don't know why only red fruit, ever since I was a kid, I just dislike most other fruit and the only thing I found in common between the fruit I actually like is that they're all red in color. Hehe
I like cherries, strawberries, raspberries (no blueberries for me, thank you) red apples, and plums, but only the ones that are red on the inside.
I don't really enjoy watermelon, but I don't mind eating it every now and then.

CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
I happen to find fruit smoothies a good idea, given that I have a couple of unopened frozen raspberries in the freezer, but I think I could do that for breakfast. It would just be too thick of a drink next to pasta. Milk and yogurt and pizza? Nah..
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Wow, you are screwed lol [Smile] j/k

No seriously, if you eat bread try high fibre. this could be your breakfast sorted. Do you eat nuts?

Do you like hot drinks? I drink a helluva lot of tea.. mostly Earl Grey but you could try mint for your digesition. I find I don't care about caffiene just as long as I get a hot drink when I want one. I always have hot milk before sleep... even in mid summer!

Have you tried any probiotics? Vetal is for sale in Egypt.

Stress is a big part so try not to stress and excercise regularly. Walking is free and pain free [Big Grin]

Finally, I am always advised to eat little and often to avoid getting bloated... grazing is natural and can help with weightloss as your body goes on shut down after a large meal and craves sugar.

Best advice on ever had on a good healthy diet is avoid anything with a wrapper [Big Grin]

I know a few folks with IBS and tbh, their biggest problems are the bloating and the cramps.

I hope you find what suits you.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your doctor is right. Have a lot of fiber. For drinking perhaps you try juice mixed with water - but of course simply water would be best.

Self Care for Constipation
http://ibs.about.com/od/constipation/a/SelfcareIBSC.htm

And about your cola addiction. Check out the following link:

Seven Secrets to Stop Your Cola Addiction
http://ezinearticles.com/?Seven-Secrets-to-Stop-Your-Cola-Addiction&id=4481646

Good luck and I hope you will be better soon. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
I seriously love bread. Bread and butter is my ultimate comfort food. I love bread so much that I bake all our bread at home, just made a batch of cinnamon rolls this morning to finish off the Cream-cheese frosting from last night's red velvet cupcakes. Don't you just love cupcakes?
You see, I'm a baker so I'd really eat anything with yeast in it. If you're English, I'm sorry to offend you, but I DO NOT do tea ever! Ever! Well, basically I don't do any hot drinks, I never had coffee in my life, hate its aroma. Hot drinks for me consists of soup (lol) and hot chocolate, and I prefer white hot chocolate, but I'm only able to drink that in the winter, I dislike hot drinks in summer. I should add exercise to my agenda! That's very important, maybe I could do the walking. I never did any of that, you see, I'm also underweight. I'm 169cm and 53kg, so.. you can say that I never had the motive to do any physical activity, I'm so not fit, I must do something about that, I'm sure it'll help.
My biggest problem isn't the cramps, I have high pain tolerance, it's the chronic constipation that's at a dangerous level, it could last for an entire week.
I don't know what probiotics are. I'm going to have to google that now.
Thank you, Cheekyferret. =)

CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
Hey Miss_Tigerlily,

Thanks for the ezine article, "#6 Talk Yourself Out of It" is spot on! I was trying to think of something to do when I will want a drink, but so far I'm holding up. It's only the second day, I should have more self control.
I've read online about my condition, it doesn't seem serious to me, it's just been going on for so long that everybody was like it's time for you to do something about it. And I did, seeing someone for it was a major step for me. Anyways in the first link you sent they mentioned that Flaxseed is a wonder food, I wonder is this available here? Do you know if I could find that?.. I am open to try new things, even as a form of medicine.. I can trick myself into it, I'm sure.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate your help. =)

CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
By the way, how can I reply to each person individually? I can't seem to find that option. Excuse me, but as you may have noticed, I'm new here! [Smile]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does one start.

Alcohol Drinks:

Beer
Stout

Non Alcohol:

I love Coca Cola but it doesn't go well with humid climate. Lately I've been guzzling soya bean milk but also like:

Teh Tarik with or witjout ice
Tea-o-ice
Ginseng tea
Chrysanthemum tea
A&w root beer (but only ice cold)

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
I could try that soy milk, I've always wanted to.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I don't see the point of alcohol flavour drinks without the effect lol.. I don't drink beer for the flavour.

Yes, I am english but as you may have noticed it is popular here too. Except i put milk in all kinds of tea, I am not into staining my teeth! Hot drinks on hot days are just something I have always done... I take hot baths too!!!

Probiotic drinks contain good bacteria for your gut to oust out bad bacteria basically. They are good for your digestion and come in all flavours. I prefer these to juices as juices are too acidic for folk with hiatus hernias.

Leaving Ma'adi every Friday is a walking club... it is social and healthy.

Have you tried adding Vimto to water, they sell it in the Metro and it is only a flavouring you add to water.

CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
Okay, yeah, Probiotic flavoured drinks sounds good, you mentioned Vetal, is that like a yogurt drink? Do you get it some where special, or just at the supermarket? I hope you don't mean the Activia yogurt thingy, I don't like eating plain yogurt out of poor plastic containers, it's not fun. I only eat yogurt when I dip stuffed vine leaves in it. And it's usually made into a dip, you add mashed garlic, salt and dried mint.

Adding vimto to water is a great idea! When I was abroad my favorite drink was Shirley Temple, you add grenadine syrup to 7up, a splash of lemon juice and a couple of cherries, That was fun. But since I don't want to use any Sodas.. I could easily get a few different flavours of syrup and just add it to plain water. No? That's a good idea!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
It is a milky / yoghurty drink. Just from the supermarkets... I will look out for other ones too as you are advised to change your probiotic drinks if they show no sign of working.

i don't mind eating Nestle products!

Sure you can do that... I know kids who don't drink milk so I flavour them up too.

I had a friend who backpacked Australia for a yr and hated water, 3 months in she was drinking it everyday as it was saving her so much money [Smile]

You can condition yourself so easily...

CaSaLiNGa
Member # 18049

Rate Member
I don't mind Nestle either! And flavoring Milk is another marvelous idea.

And I have to agree with you, I'm making a change here. So I must learn to become more flexible, which I'm at..tbh! [Big Grin]

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep'em coming! I gotta make the following for lunch now:

Pasta Puttanesca:
Ingredients
600 grams of spaghetti
50 grams of butter
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
6 unsalted anchovy fillets, crushed into a paste (
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
200 grams of black olives, pitted and chopped
1 tablespoon of salted capers, washed well and coarsly chopped
1 to 3 small dried chili peppers, chopped (optional)
600 grams plum tomatoes, peeled and puréed
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
salt

Procedure
Put the following in a skillet: butter, olive oil, garlic and anchovy paste.
Before the garlic browns, add the olives, capers, tomato sauce and chili peppers.
Add two to three pinches of salt, mixing at high heat.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large amount of salt water. Strain it when it's al dente. Place it in a large serving bowl and cover it with the sauce then sprinkle it with chopped parsley.
Mix and serve hot.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Just be aware that the pasta could cause you to bloat, especially if your stmach acid is low.

Do you eat lentils or brown rice? These will help.

Also try sunflowers seeds.

You vertainly seem to know what you are doing with food and if you are flexi and can de-stress and excercise then IBS should soon begin to have little impact on your life.

And get some water down your neck, like it or not it will help you to 'go'

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com