Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Thai Recipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thai Recipes
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll start this thread for Thai recipes. Maybe it'll be better than starting an individual thread for each recipe. I fell in love with Thai cuisine the moment I tasted Tum Yum. Now it's time to expand the delight and cook more dishes. The best thing about Thai food is you can literally prepare and cook a delicious dish in less than 10 minutes.

Those who are new to Thai cooking should know the basic ingredients of most Thai food. If you have these ingredients then you can basically cook 75% of Thai food. They are:

Fish Sauce
Curry Paste (red/green paste and you can make your own)
Coconut Milk
Lemongrass
Galangal
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Chill Peppers

Last night I cooked Tom Kha Gai, it's an incredibly easy dish to cook. 5 minutes to prepare and 5 minutes to cook.

**Tom Kha Gai Recipe**
Ingredients

16 fluid ounces soup broth (chicken stock)
4-5 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
4 or 5 2 inch pieces fresh lemongrass, bruised to release flavor
1 inch cube (or a bit more) galangal sliced thinly.
4 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
4 oz chicken breast cut into smallish bite sized pieces
5 fluid ounces coconut milk
small red Thai chile peppers, slightly crushed (to taste)
coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish.

Note the number of red peppers is a personal choice. It can be as few as half a chilli per diner, to
as many as 8-10 per diner, but the dish should retain a balance of flavors and not be overwhelmend
by the chili peppers. We suggest about 8-12 chili peppers for this recipe.

Method

Heat the stock, add the lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, fish sauce, and lime juice. Stir thoroughly,
bring to a boil, and add the chicken and coconut milk, then the chile peppers. Bring back to the boil,
lower the heat to keep it simmering and cook for about 2 minutes (until the chicken is cooked through).

Enjoy!

Not really intended to be eaten as a separate course, we like it served ladled over a bowl of steamed
Thai jasmine rice. This quantity serves 4 with other food, but is probably only enough for two if eaten separately.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[Tom Kha Gai]

You have my full attention. Can you manage an image with your recipies? Like from google?

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an image of Tom Khai Gai that I made a short while ago. Clearly you see that it is a different variations. But I wanted to change things up this time.

What I did different was I added broccoli and also fish balls. I also did not have a lot of coconut milk and made a large serving hence the reason why it wasn't as white. Delicious nonetheless. [Smile]

Tom Kha Gai is definitely the easiest Thai recipe and great for beginners.

-

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

You are like me, always adapting and trying some new approach. Coming from Surinam I'm rather strict about using real coconut milk and never, ever anything from a can. You can make your own batch and freeze it, but always avoid the poison they sell in cans for which they should be hung. People can get a wrong idea about how something ought to taste. I just love food!

The grated nut is pressed and washed and pressed again. I freeze the rest to make cakes, cookies or fry it up with some vegetable or to make spiced rice. Nothing gets wasted in my kitchen.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rockytsang
Member # 18290

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rockytsang   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
North Korea."A great part burberry wallets for men part of this, I think, will have [u]burberry clothing[/u] have to be done through Beijing," he [h3]discount burberry bags[/h3] he said.Stalled START
TreatyMullen also commented on [h1]cartier mens wallets[/h1] on the START treaty, now stalled in [h2]burberry baby bags[/h2] in the Senate calling it "absolutely cartier belt "absolutely critical" from

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com