Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » WHAT'S COOKING TODAY?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHAT'S COOKING TODAY?
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

http://blog.jagaimo.com/images/ul/Besanroti_9B60/roti0266.jpg

[roti]

I have been eating out a lot, wonderfully dressed Surinam breads with salted meats and Pom, roti with lamsmeatcurry, Turkish roasted chicken legs, they seem to use some tomato paste, rolled preserved mango and a whole kilo of sweet and soft plums which gave me the runs.

I will eat salads a few days, to loose some weight.

Mix boiled pasta with boiled kidney beans, a tart apple, fresh tomato and boiled broccoli. Make a vinaigrette, black pepper.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a kind of Moksi alesi, mixed rice, a kind of Surinamese pilav without the constant stirring and using longgrain rice. With fried onions, red kidneybeans and fresh tomato cubes, bay leaf and all spice. A whole pan, and some will be frozen. It can be eaten with a vinaigrette mixed with more fresh tomato, black olives and kapers as a rice salad.

-

[an unadorned bami]

Today I'll make Surinam inspired Bami with spicy minced meat (my idea), fresh ginger, leeks and the spaghetti noodles stirred in, with plenty of parsley. I use the salty and very black Mee Chun soy sauce, but prefer an Indonesian sweet soy sauce as bami needs some sweetness.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
I made a kind of Moksi alesi, mixed rice, a kind of Surinamese pilav without the constant stirring and using longgrain rice. With fried onions, red kidneybeans and fresh tomato cubes, bay leaf and all spice. A whole pan, and some will be frozen. It can be eaten with a vinaigrette mixed with more fresh tomato, black olives and kapers as a rice salad.

-

[an unadorned bami]

Today I'll make Surinam inspired Bami with spicy minced meat (my idea), fresh ginger, leeks and the spaghetti noodles stirred in, with plenty of parsley. I use the salty and very black Mee Chun soy sauce, but prefer an Indonesian sweet soy sauce as bami needs some sweetness.

looks great [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
[QUOTE]looks great [Razz]

What will you feed your loved ones today?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
havent decided yet, but already am missing egyptian food..so maybe something on those lines...hubby loves chicken , so any suggestions would help. still cant think right yet, the jet lag is lingering
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cooked a chicken bhuna medium spicy [Smile]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i made orange lentil soup , chicken penna, saffron rice with mushrooms and salad , and we will have garlic Naan bread warmed with tahini...nothing to good for the hubby [Razz]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to make Ayam Goreng Kuning, it's basically Indonesian Fried Chicken. Unlike typical fried chicken which uses one cooking method - Indonesian Fried Chicken uses two (boiling then frying).

This is the first time that I am making this at home and will make it authentically and by that I mean the chicken will be simmered in coconut water. I bought a fresh coconut and will use the water from it for this dish.

Currently the pieces of chicken are marinating in the fridge.

Ingredients
4 to 6 servings (so adjust accordingly)
Chicken, cut into serving pieces -- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
Garlic, minced -- 3 or 4 cloves
Coriander -- 1 tablespoon
Turmeric -- 2 teaspoons
Bay leaves -- 2
Salt and pepper -- to season
Water or coconut water (see Notes) -- 2 cups
Oil for deep frying

Method
1.In a large bowl, mix the chicken with the garlic, coriander, turmeric, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Refrigerate and marinate for at least one hour.

2.Add the chicken, marinade and water or coconut water to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high flame. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced and the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool

3.Heat the oil in a deep fryer, skillet or wok. Add the chicken pieces and fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside.

4.Drain the chicken on paper towels and serve hot or at room temperature with steamed rice and a simple salad. Skim any crumbs or crispy bits from the oil and sprinkle them over the chicken as a garnish.

Don't know how it'll taste, but we'll see. [Smile] Thinking of a side dish, maybe make something with bitter gourd. Maybe noodles. Dunno.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Bitter melon.

We eat it stuffed with grounded meat.
or some make a kind of sweet preserve all red and dark without any bitterness.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
i made orange lentil soup , chicken penna, saffron rice with mushrooms and salad , and we will have garlic Naan bread warmed with tahini...nothing to good for the hubby [Razz]

The other day I realsied that many men marry a woman to have a free housekeeper and a free prostitute. No woman should ever have to wash her husbands shotty underwear. Freedom starts at home and if we are a slave in our personal lives how will we change the world? Why do women put up with this rubbish? Are their minds impaired?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

The other day I realsied that many men marry a woman to have a free housekeeper and a free prostitute. No woman should ever have to wash her husbands shotty underwear. Freedom starts at home and if we are a slave in our personal lives how will we change the world? Why do women put up with this rubbish? Are their minds impaired?
i am not a slave to no man, and he treated me like a queen, thats why i said nothing too good for my hubby [Wink]
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
quote:
quote:

i am not a slave to no man, and he treated me like a queen, thats why i said nothing too good for my hubby [Wink]
I'm relieved for your sake. But I was talking in general, not about you. Is my observation valid that people put up with slave like conditions in their personal live?
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Bulgur pilav and the last runnerbeans in a watery sauce easten with bread. All flavored with paprica puree
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
cooking nothing today....hubby called me at work and told me to go home and get ready for a night on the town...dinner and drinks all before 8 cause i have to be up at 3:45 am for work [Mad] [Razz]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am cooking porl ribletts and salsa and some sticky rice.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com