Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » The Detox Diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Detox Diet
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every year or so I do a detox, also known as a cleanse, I usually do them around the end of the year, but hey what the heck, sooner the better . Critics will argue that they aren't necessary as the human organs are self sufficient in detoxing the body. Clearly it is a matter of opinion, I believe in them and this year I will share mine. The first thing to do is to have a plan and I want to make it clear that my detox diet will be hardcore and fundamental. By that I will not use any oil at all to cook my foods, nor will I use any kind of meat products, cereals, breads, etc, etc. I won't eat anything that is processed. To give you an idea of what I'll eat:

Breakfast: Oatmeal + Honey + Fruit + Salad + Warm lemon drink

Smaller Meals (1-3) Lentils with An assortment of Veggies and spices. No meat/poultry/seafood/msg broth whatsoever. I will simply boil and simmer the lentils with the veggies with spices and the least amount of salt. No sauteing onions nor sauteing garlic.

Dinner: Brown rice mixed with boiled potatoes, spices, garlic, and greens on the side.

Whenever I feel hungry I will eat a fruit and raw vegetables and 100% natural fruit juices, and by that I'll blend 'em myself . I basically intend to eat every kind of vegetable and fruit under the sun.

I'll try to get everything in Organic form, but certainly won't settle for being ripped off.

No coffee, no cereals, no breads, no tea, no sugar, no fish, no meat, no chicken, no shrimp, you get the idea. I'm off to do my Organic grocery shopping now. I have already cleaned out a section of the fridge for the stuff that I'll buy. I will do this for 1-2 weeks and then gradually ease into a normal diet. This kind of detox, however restrictive, will supply me more than enough carbs for my workouts. This is important because you don't want to be lethargic all day. The fruit juices will give me the added boost before and after workouts.

Time to get busy. My last meal was at 2pm and I had a claypot chicken with vegetables, it was delicious and sweet. I don't expect to eat anything that delicious for the next couple of weeks.

It'll be a challenge but I'm looking forward to it. If I get grumpy over the course of this detox do forgive me. [Big Grin] If you want to share or jump aboard, go ahead, it'll be fun, sorta. [Smile]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you feel about colon irrigation, along with the diet, or fasting? You fill yourself up with luke warm water several times and let it stream out. I felt good the one time I tried. buts hard to stick to one glass of juice with the whole packet in front of you
Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I did my grocery shopping for this detox and got some great healthy foods. Some were organic but mostly they weren't. As I mentioned before I buy organic but when the price costs more than 4x the price of non-organic items then I refrain from buying.

This is my grocery list and I will detail their purpose.

These are the front line of my diet and they will replace – breads, white rice, pasta and flour. They will help me remain satisfied, hopefully. Notice there isn't any wheat here, it will be when I move on to the second phase of the diet. The same is true for dairy products they are not part of the detox but will be incorporated in the second phase.

Brown Rice (organic)
Oats (organic)
Lentils (organic)
Dhal (non-organic carrefoure brand)
Brown Rice Vermicelli (non-organic)

These are the veggies. I will eat veggies in two ways. The 1st will be raw and the second is to cook them with the Carbs I listed above. Raw is vital and this includes all kind of veggies, I ate a bunch of raw asparagus earlier. The cooked veggies will basically be just to supplement the cooking and not for raw nutrition.

Round Eggplant
Bok Choy (organic)
Greens (organic)
Carrots
Broccoli
Chinese Radish
Onions
Garlic
Yam
French Beans
Celery

Fruits are my best friends in this diet. They will essentially replace the sweets that I crave and I mean everything from candy to gum to chocolate.

Watermelon
Mangoes
Bananas
Pears
Pineapple.

Nuts will also be part of my diet and will provide protein as well as essential fats, or omega 3 and omega 6.

Water is the most important aspect and not RO water but mineral water, so I bought several gallons.

My sugar replacement will be the Organic Raw Honey. I made sure it was from a reputable country and Australia seemed okay as they have the climate and expertise to deal with bees.

I also bought half gallon unsweetened orange juice, and while I initially wanted to blend all my juice, it simply wasn't practical. 100% natural unsweetened juice must be readily available at all times and tonight was a good example. Before going to the gym I needed carbs for energy and afterwards I needed carbs as well, fresh juice is one of the best sources of carbs you can give your body after working out.

Exercise in this detox diet is absolutely vital. The entire purpose of a detox diet is to continuously flush your body. This is done, by sweat, urine and of course #2. Doing Cardio and hydrating yourself plenty will keep your circulation active and will make your organs work at full capacity albeit healthily. Basically supply your body with nutrients and liquids and you organs will be as smooth as a corvettes engine. Heavy weight lifting isn't ideal however because the protein intake is limited with this diet. You can do that whenever you want but the goal here is flushing the system and maintaining excellent circulation.

My first night, I did 45 minutes on the treadmill, but will increase this to 2-3 hours per day, probably 1 hour jogging in the morning, 1 hour in the pool at noon and another hour on the treadmill in the evening. This will not be practical for most of you as I live in a Condo that has a Gym as well as Pool, so going there is a matter of minutes.

It's a great feeling, to know you are eating right, and to also break a sweat. I am however tired now and getting hungry and that's the thing all the fruits and veggies in the world will not fill you up for long. This is why the front line carbs are so important.

@Egmond Codfried, I don't know what colon irrigation is. Sound pretty drastic to me, maybe you can enlighten us as to what it is.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Dinner: 1/2 cup split orange lentils. I doubled the water, maybe bit more, added 3 cloves of garlic, 1 sliced carrot, 2 stalks celery, salt, pepper, small padi chilli, chill powder and cumin. Let boiled then simmered until lentils became soft. Split lentils cook so much faster than whole lentils. And lighter colored lentils also cook faster than darker colored lentils.

It tasted alright, nothing spectacular, but okay and filling. Also had a slice of seedless watermelon afterwards.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Woke up 20 minutes ago w/o an appetite but nevertheless I had to consume something to kick off my metabolism. So I drank 1 warm glass water with one entire lime squeezed in it. Also ate a pear. Waiting for my appetite to increase so I can eat something more substantial.
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
 -

The first full day is going very smoothly so far. I noticed earlier while jogging, that I did lack a little energy. This is completely normal as my body is still trying to figure out what the hell is going, and probably saying please feed me the delicious white rice and noodles that you normally have for breakfast.

But as I mentioned earlier, I did not have an appetite when I awoke. After jogging I was however hungry and ate oats with honey, fruits, and raw veggies. Few hours after that I went and swam for about 30 minutes and came back starving. Below is the lunch that I had. It was satisfying but I know it will not hold me for too long. And that's the entire point of a detox, you want nutritious foods that your body will consume, digest, and remove quickly. Absorbing the nutrients in the process that are vital to your body and organs. They is vitality needed to perform such a detoxification. I probably drank half a gallon of water already too and it is not even 3pm.

I'm very committed to this detox and hopefully the ensuing diet which will greatly reduce some of the foods that I love. The goal here is very simple, first and foremost to detox and then to eat much healthier foods. This detox diet is also about conditioning my body and appetite to appreciate non greasy, sweet, fatty, meaty foods. This is down the road however as my focus now is on this detox and taking it day by day.

This detox obviously requires sacrifice, and I'll get into that in my next post.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck with your diet...i think i need that after my egyptian trip [Eek!] [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Popcorn is one of the foods that I can eat on a detox, but my dilemma is how would I make it without oil.

I don't own a microwave, never owned and never will own one.

What I did was I placed the kernels in a hot pan and the result was that good. Most of the kernels burned, some sprouted but even the ones that sprouted weren't as soft and tasty as we normally make them.

The condo is being aired now because of the smoke. A trick I use is to open the front door as well as the balcony doors and an air wave passage occurs.

I tell you, ever since I started with this detox, all I've gotten is smirks from my wife. She insisted that I use a little oil, failing to understand the principal behind what I am doing.

No oil, means no oil.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Time to head down to the Gym. I'm really really not in the mood and one of my favorite shows (Rookie Blue) just came on but I have to do it. This kind of detox will not be successful especially with the amount of food I'm eating without a significant amount of cardio.
krytz22
Member # 18196

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for krytz22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried detox but I usually ended up only in three days, is this okay? I only drink water, lots of them, and when I get hungry sometimes I munch on an apple so as to satisfy my appetite. I don't know if this works for you but for me I feel a whole lot better and I eventually lose weight too.

Website Conversion |best adwords

--------------------
Website Conversion |best adwords

Posts: 2 | From: solwezi | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it is essential for the body to get some kind of fat.
Do you at least take fish oil or Omega 3-6 ?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
@anthropos You're absolutely right. I've been on the omega 3/6 bandwagon for several years now and flaxseeds as well as fish oil capsules have been a mainstay. They don't conflict in anyway with this detox.

-----------------

I had a problem with waking up and having no appetite. I solved this successfully by better managing my evening carbs. Having brown rice for dinner simply wasn't working for me. I know it is a low glycemic food (low glucose) but I was having a hard time with it. So I tweaked that problem and settled for basmati rice which is just as good glycemic wise just a bit higher. I accept the fact that I must tweak this detox day by day, and being pragmatic in this respect is important to achieving my goal. It's that or fail.

There are more creative and tasty recipes out there that would make things much more easier for me. But jogging, workouts, swimming, showering, changing, etc. Takes about 3-4 hours per day. Then there is the preparation and cooking the foods that I have and that's like a total of 60 minutes per day. What I'm saying is this detox is taking a big chunk out of my life as is, and learning or incorporating better recipes would only mean more time dedicated to this detox. So I am keeping it simple.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
My body has finally succumbed to my detox diet, it took 4 days, but now I know I can go the distance. I'm also consuming an insane amount of fruits, veggies and anti-oxidants. I'm getting most of my vitamin C from Kiwis. And I have raw garlic with every meal, the trick to avoiding garlic breath is to mince the garlic and then to swallow a little at a time with some water. Just use a teaspoon to scope a little, place on your tongue and swallow it down with water.

I've also discovered the best way for me to workout and saving some time. I started with jogging in the morning followed by swimming later on and then the Gym at night. I now follow my jogging with a swimming session. Right after jogging, I'd go up, eat a pineapple, kiwi and salad and then head down to the pool. Usually I would shower, change, and then later on head down to the pool. Now what I do is I head to the pool, shower poolside, swim for an hour, come up shower, change, and chill for the rest of the day until my evening workout. Anyway this is much more convenient for me and saves time. Although yesterday after doing it this way, I needed a nap, which lasted 2.5hrs. So far today, no problem.

Also trying to find Camu Camu, it's an insanely vitamin C rich superfruit that is found mainly in the Amazon jungle but is also available in South East Asia. 100 grams of the fruits is 6 kilograms of Oranges. Now that's some friggin awesome.

D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
@anthropos You're absolutely right. I've been on the omega 3/6 bandwagon for several years now and flaxseeds as well as fish oil capsules have been a mainstay. They don't conflict in anyway with this detox.

-----------------

I had a problem with waking up and having no appetite. I solved this successfully by better managing my evening carbs. Having brown rice for dinner simply wasn't working for me. I know it is a low glycemic food (low glucose) but I was having a hard time with it. So I tweaked that problem and settled for basmati rice which is just as good glycemic wise just a bit higher. I accept the fact that I must tweak this detox day by day, and being pragmatic in this respect is important to achieving my goal. It's that or fail.

There are more creative and tasty recipes out there that would make things much more easier for me. But jogging, workouts, swimming, showering, changing, etc. Takes about 3-4 hours per day. Then there is the preparation and cooking the foods that I have and that's like a total of 60 minutes per day. What I'm saying is this detox is taking a big chunk out of my life as is, and learning or incorporating better recipes would only mean more time dedicated to this detox. So I am keeping it simple.

Chia seeds are supposed to be higher in the omega's than flax seeds. I have been taking these lately and find I have more energy.
Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D_ Oro ...where do you get them , can you get them in a vitamin store?
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, You can. I buy mine in bulk at Sprouts, a small market.

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Exiled is only capable of doing this because he doesn't have an annoying boss to deal with.
No, just joking actually.
But still, I cannot see how it would be possible to follow this diet unless you are unemployed or on holiday.
Real life is too stressful.
Honestly, is somebody here who has to juggle work, kids, home and other things going to reach for the orange or kiwi when in need of some energy/comfort/escape from reality ?
No, I think most will choose the following:
coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, chocolate and perhaps some energy drinks.
I.e. their detox diet will not last.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
I good program to detox the liver and gallbladder.

5 oranges
1 lemon
1 lime
_____________ juiced

add in blender with

1 inch ginger
1 garlic clove
1 table spoon olive oil

---------------

Every day for five days add 1 garlic clove and 1 table spoon olive oil. So on day two you will have 2 garlic/2 olive oil, day three 3 garlic/3 olive oil and so on for 5 days.

This regimen works wonders! [Smile]

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
Of course Exiled is only capable of doing this because he doesn't have an annoying boss to deal with.
No, just joking actually.
But still, I cannot see how it would be possible to follow this diet unless you are unemployed or on holiday.
Real life is too stressful.
Honestly, is somebody here who has to juggle work, kids, home and other things going to reach for the orange or kiwi when in need of some energy/comfort/escape from reality ?
No, I think most will choose the following:
coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, chocolate and perhaps some energy drinks.
I.e. their detox diet will not last.

Good point. And this detox is indeed the equivalent of a full time job. It's consuming. Today was the second straight day that my body needed a long nap (2+ hrs). The only way possible is to perhaps omit some of the workouts/swimming that I do.

But even so, everything increases and I don't mean to sound impolite but it's a fact that using the bathroom increases tremendously while detoxing. This alone may annoy some people on the go and those who are used to sleeping throughout the night straight. I normally sleep straight all night, but now find myself waking up twice to urinate. Laundry increases as well and even the grocery shopping, veggies and fruit easily fill the fridge and are consumed so quickly. I already made two runs to the supermarket for veggies and fruit. It's a full time gig, but some people can also tailor their own detox to suit their time constraints.

anthropos
Member # 9410

Why does laundry increase?

Is it possible that you are plainly not taking in enough calories to sustain all this exercise and that is why the body needs those long naps?

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
Why does laundry increase?

Is it possible that you are plainly not taking in enough calories to sustain all this exercise and that is why the body needs those long naps?

The Towels/T-Shirts/Shorts need washing after each workout basically. It's tropical and humid here, so I sweat profusely. Basically I need 2 sets of shorts and two T-shirts per day for workout and of course undergarment.

Lack of calories could be the reason. And my need to nap arose after combining my jogging session with my swimming session. Swimming just lulls me. I will give a couple of more days and hope my body adapts. If not I will have to maybe lessen the workouts or manage my calories better.

But it is a problem.

I basically eat all day but because it is very nutritious and not as calorie packed that could be the problem as you pointed out.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Craving Domino's Pizza with pepperoni and extra cheese. Also craving a 6pk of imported bottled beer. Yes bottled! No canned BS!

Need to get my sh!t together!

anthropos
Member # 9410

hmmmmm pizza....
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Tommorrow will be the final day of my detox. Was actually thinking of ending it today, but the stars are aligned perfectly for it end to just before the weekend.

A pizza topped with sashami would be great. [Big Grin]

moshimo
Member # 18315

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moshimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thalorien clearly served with Aion Gold and distinction as a martial defender of Silvermoon and his people
for Buy WOW Gold years before the moment that would simultaneously cover him in glory and yet leave him dead on the tainted battleground. As the Scourge invaded under the WOW Power Leveling Prince Arthas Menethil of Lordaeron and the high elves fell back from Elfgate to Elfgate, Thalorien and a unit of his troops ultimately found themselves the last line of defense for the Sunwell itself. At this point, Sylvanas was already dead (and most likely enduring Arthas' blasphemous attentions), and there would have been little shame in Aion Gold. They were few, massively outnumbered by
the Scourge and had no hope of WOW Gold.

Posts: 3 | From: china | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com