Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Isn´t all meat dead meat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Isn´t all meat dead meat?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 12 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off and on for the last 5 years the topic of slaughtering has been discussed by me and my husband. And the discussions have been heated. Ending usually with calling each other's countrymen ignorant and barbaric.
The debate is always the same. How should lambs be slaughtered.
My husband of course thoroughly believes that the Egyptian way is the only correct way. Slit the throat and let the poor lamb bleed out. If it isn´t done in this way then the meat becomes basically like road kill, something that has been killed and eaten days later.
I on the other hand support my country's way which is that the lamb is given an electric shock and then bled out. In that way the pain of dying is at least minimized for the poor lamb.
Yesterday the debate got so heated that I called the biggest slaughterhouse in the country to get the exact information on the method because my husband was even considering stopping eating the lamb he has eaten now for over 3 years (and enjoyed it very much) because he thinks it is haram meat, nota bene my husband is not muslim but says that there are also Christian halal ways of slaughtering !?!?! I have asked for the Bibla verses to be shown.
Anyway, it turns out that the lamb is electrocuted and in the same second the throat is slit and the lamb is bled out.
My husband's response was that perhaps this is 80% OK (whatever that means).
So what do you think? is the method of slaughtering important to you?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, I don't understand why you bother. Let him buy his meat at a Jewish or Muslim butcher's or become a vegetarian. End of story.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There aren´t Jewish or Muslim butchers here. He just has to eat his electrified meat! heheh!
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The method of slaughtering is very important. But there's no use complaining about something that is just not available. Don't really understand why your husband is complaining and what does he expect you to do? reform the industry, have you own livestock? Tell him to get real, and stop being a little whiner.

But I have to say this. The sheep there are first electrocuted and then their throats are slit? FFF That it's one or the other [Big Grin] , what the hell is wrong with you people. [Big Grin] :LOL

If a person were to be executed, and his options were:

A.) Do you want to be electrocuted to death?

B.) Do you want your head chopped off?

C.) Do you want to be electrocuted and have you head chopped off simultaneouly?

What you think! Either A or B but not both damn it. [Big Grin] I think sheep would agree with me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He accepts that this is the only meat available but still doesn't agree with the method.

I thought you knew more about meat Exiled!
The throats have to be slit to led the animal bleed out so that the blood doesn't go to the muscles, i.e. to make better meat.
The electrocution is supposed be a more humane way of killing the animal.
Still I don´t know how they have measured which method causes more pain!
Perhaps is just easier also, must be more difficult to slit the throat of a live animal then a dead one.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
He accepts that this is the only meat available but still doesn't agree with the method.

I thought you knew more about meat Exiled!
The throats have to be slit to led the animal bleed out so that the blood doesn't go to the muscles, i.e. to make better meat.
The electrocution is supposed be a more humane way of killing the animal.
Still I don´t know how they have measured which method causes more pain!
Perhaps is just easier also, must be more difficult to slit the throat of a live animal then a dead one.

Anthropos I know a little something about livestock. My post was intended to be a little funnt. Nevermind. Probably not the right thread to joke around. Anyway.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
because he thinks it is haram meat, nota bene my husband is not muslim but says that there are also Christian halal ways of slaughtering !?!?! I have asked for the Bibla verses to be shown.

Me thinks your husband is a 'closet Muslim'. [Big Grin] I never heard about a Christian 'halal' way of slaughtering. Why would he even use this word?

According to Wikipedia Islam practises ritual slaughtering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabihah

but also the Jews and Hindus have their own methods.

quote:
So what do you think? is the method of slaughtering important to you?

No not at all. I am more concerned to prepare a tasty meal.

Somehow these animals have to be killed to be available for human consumption. Of course the pain for them should be as minimal as possible.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ending usually with calling each other's countrymen ignorant and barbaric.

Forget meat, that's the mark of a great relationship.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Me thinks your husband is a 'closet Muslim'. [Big Grin] I never heard about a Christian 'halal' way of slaughtering. Why would he even use this word?

I have always thought his mentality to be half muslim and I am sure the same can be said about most Copts. He claims there are biblical verses to support this kind of slaughtering. He used the word "halal" to make a point but it does show the mentality.

Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats reminds me of when we went to egypt and his family had slaughtered a lamb in front of us. i didnt expect it. the father pulled the knife out as he held this screaming little baby animal to the ground and i was pleading with the ex to make him stop only to get shoved aside.
let me tell u how i flipped the hell out and ran away crying.
ya, dont think im going back.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Australia says no Aussie sheep for slaughter in Egypt

Oct 20th, 2010

CAIRO: The streets will run red with blood. Thousands of sheep will be slaughtered. It is part of the religious tradition of Eid al-Adha, but Australia says they won’t be sending Aussie sheep to Egypt for the Islamic feast. The move has been praised by animal groups in Australia and across the world, but condemned by scholars and Egyptians.

Animals Australia was the most ardent proponent of the ban, criticizing the Egyptian government over their use of the animals.

“Vision of sheep tied to roof racks of cars, bound and shoved into car boots in extreme temperatures, and trussed on their backs in trucks shocked the Australian public and proved the new Memorandum of Understanding between Egypt and Australia—in which the Egyptian government committed to treating Australian animals in accordance with international standards—worthless,” the Australian-based animal rights organization said in a statement on its website.

But, in Egypt, where the Islamic holiday is taken as a necessity, Islamic scholars at al-Azhar – the Arab world’s most prominent Islamic authority – are becoming increasingly angry with the ban, saying it is an anti-religious stance based in “racist” ideology.

Sheikh Yussif Gama’a from al-Azhar, told Bikya Masr that the Australian government is “participating in more anti-Islam behavior that has nothing to do with animal welfare.”

He argued that sheep that are sacrificed in the feast are given the “utmost care and humanely killed for the purpose of progressing one’s faith.”

The move to not export thousands of sheep to Egypt will mean less animals available for the slaughter, but Goma’a says Egypt will be able to secure other sources for the “important Islamic holiday.”

A spokesman for the ministry of agriculture said that Australia has long been concerned about the impact of the long voyage that animals must make to Egypt and “this was largely part of the issue. We have to come to a compromise in order to keep our traditions.”

The official, who did not give his name, said that “Islamic tradition is important and all Egyptians who are Muslim believe in the right to fulfill our religious obligations.”

But report after report from Animals Australia and other rights groups have said otherwise. They have shown video of cattle trampling one another on the ship to Egypt and have demanded an end to the “horrific conditions animals are placed into” when being exported to the Middle East.

In 2005, Australia did put a moratorium on cattle live exports to Egypt, but in the past year, this ban has been lifted.

Egypt currently imports all cattle for meat.

“As a direct result of Animals Australia’s exposure of cruel treatment in Egypt, tens of thousands of Australian sheep will be spared unimaginable cruelty, while international outrage at Egyptian treatment of animals has sparked nation-wide public and political focus in Egypt about the importance of animal welfare,” Animals Australia added.

BM

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=19026

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CAIRO - Egyptian animal rights activists have threatened to take legal action against any person caught slaughtering sheep, rams or cows in a barbaric way during Eid el-Adha (the Muslim Feast of Sacrifice), which begins on November 16.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=005688

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com