Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Road Kill Recipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Road Kill Recipes
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roadkill grillin' is a fine culinary tradition of rural areas of the South and other parts of this great land. Do y'all have any favorite recipes?

Here are mine (note: serving numbers are not calibrated for large eaters like Junior):

Raccoon Kabobs
(Also known as "Ringtail Surprise")

Two pounds, reasonably fresh raccoon, cut into one-inch cubes; one-half cup homemade French dressing; two green peppers, cut into squares; one large onion, cut into one-inch pieces; one-third pound mushroom caps.

Place raccoon cubes in a ceramic bowl and pour dressing over cubes. Let marinate two or more hours. Remove cubes, reserving marinade. Alternate raccoon cubes with pepper squares, onion pieces and mushroom caps on skewers. Brush all with reserved marinade and broil over hot coals until done to desired degree. Turn frequently and baste with marinade as needed.

Serves six.

Moose-and-Squirrel Meat Balls
(Especially useful recipe if main ingredients have been dead for 24 or more hours before harvested)

Three pounds, ground moose and squirrel, any proportion; six slices soft white bread; one-half cup water; one-third cup butter; one-and-one-third cups chopped onion; salt and freshly ground black pepper; two tablespoons chopped parsley; two tablespoons flour; one-and-one-half cups milk.

Soak bread in water five minutes. Squeeze excess water out. Melt four tablespoons butter in skillet. Sauté onion in butter until tender. Combine moose and squirrel meat, squeezed bread, four teaspoons salt, one-half teaspoon pepper and parsley. Form mixture into one-inch balls. Chill twenty minutes. Heat remaining butter in skillet. Brown moose-and-squirrel balls on all sides. Cover skillet and cook slowly 15 minutes. Remove balls to warm platter. Sprinkle flour over skillet droppings. Stir and cook one minute. Stir in milk and bring to boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return moose-and-squirrel balls to skillet. Simmer four minutes.

Serves eight

Pennsylvania Possum Pot Pie
(Often served to unsuspecting bed-and-breakfast tourists in Amish country)

Five-pound possum, cut into serving pieces; water; salt; 12 peppercorns; two ribs celery, chopped; two carrots, quartered; one onion; two cups flour; four egg yolks; six tablespoons hot water

Place possum in kettle. Add water to cover, salt to taste, peppercorns, celery, carrots and onion. Simmer until possum is thoroughly tender, about two hours. Strain broth and pour into clean kettle. Simmer while preparing remaining ingredients. Remove possum from bones. Discard bones and skin. Cut possum into bite-size pieces. Sift flour and one-half teaspoon salt together onto board. Make well in center and put egg yolks into it. Gradually work yolks into flour until stiff dough is formed, adding hot water as needed. Knead until smooth, about five minutes. Cut dough in half. Roll each half until paper thin. Cut dough into noodles about one inch wide. Add possum to simmering broth. Gradually add noodles. Continue boiling until noodles are done, about five minutes.

Serves eight to twelve.

Skunk Skillet Stew
(A sensory entree, not recommended for the weak-stomached)

Two adult skunks, skinned, deboned and shredded; save scent sacs and set aside; one-fourth cup oil; one-fourth cup butter; two cups finely chopped celery; one-fourth cup finely chopped parsley; two cloves garlic, finely minced; one bay leaf; two carrots, chopped; two tablespoons flour; one cup beef broth; one cup dry red wine; three tablespoons cognac; one pound ripe, red tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped; salt and freshly ground pepper to taste; juice of half-lemon; one-fourth teaspoon nutmeg; one cup Madeira wine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large skillet, brown skunk well in oil and butter; add carrots and stir until lightly browned. Sprinkle with flour. Add broth as needed when mixture starts to brown. Stir to dissolve brown particles. Add remaining broth, red wine, cognac, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Place in oven, cover and bake three hours. Strain gravy, pressing as much of cooked vegetable mixture as possible through sieve. Bring strained mixture to boil. Add lemon juice, nutmeg, Madeira. Carefully puncture scent sacs and add fluids to mixture. Simmer five minutes. Pour sauce over skunk.

Note: If any of these species are not commonly found on roadsides in your geographic area, you may easily substitute such other carrion delicacies as armadillo, alligator or mongoose meats. Be creative. Bon appétit!

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put me right off my lunch now. Ewwwwww [Frown]
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was offered a road kill toastie in Accra once.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ewwww thats gross..i could neer eat road kill no matter how hungry i was. the thought just makes my stomach queesy

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I opted for cheese!!!!! The same day, I discovered that some villages were killing dogs to eat. I guess when you are hungry and poor there is no option in life but to eat for survival.

I will never forget the sound of the dogs though [Frown]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I opted for cheese!!!!! The same day, I discovered that some villages were killing dogs to eat. I guess when you are hungry and poor there is no option in life but to eat for survival.

I will never forget the sound of the dogs though [Frown]

but i can never imagine eatting dog or skunk.i guess i have never been hungry enough to eat it.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] !!!!!لا شكرا
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krishna
Member # 12633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for krishna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i prefer BLT: black lab on toast, or if i'm in the mood for chinese, poodles and noodles...rack-a-coon, chunk of skunk, smidgen of pigeon, road toad ala mode, shake and bake snake, rigor mortise tortoise, ground round of hound, shar-pei fillet and for dessert german sheperd pie

--------------------
when you see a sacred cow..milk it for all it's worth

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by krishna:
i prefer BLT: black lab on toast, or if i'm in the mood for chinese, poodles and noodles...rack-a-coon, chunk of skunk, smidgen of pigeon, road toad ala mode, shake and bake snake, rigor mortise tortoise, ground round of hound, shar-pei fillet and for dessert german sheperd pie

Genius work lol.. I love it [Smile]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I heard this story on a podcast just and thought I would share it. It is about students in the UK eating roadkill to save money.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/845240-students-being-taught-to-cook-roadkill-for-dinner-to-stave-off-debts

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com