Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » What do I do with this stuff? Ideas!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do I do with this stuff? Ideas!
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't ask why, but a space alien has taken over my fridge and I have the following:

beef rump steaks (6 pieces)
tomatoes
courgette/cucumber thingies
apples
oranges
strawberries
olive oil
yoghurt
nuts
oxo and bisto
tin red kidney beans
jar asparagus

I've also got some lentils and bean things - do they need soaking overnight or just for an hour or what?

Cooking equipment: 1 microwave oven with a big pyrex and small pyrex dish, a gas burner with 1 frying pan. 1 sharp knife.

Quick and simple please! Don't have to use all of it at once btw [Smile]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a fruit salad with the apples, oranges, and strawberries.

You could make cucumber yogurt if you have garlic and dill or you can make a salad with the tomatoes, olive oil, and cucumber if you have basil.

Have no ideal what oxo and bisto is.

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Don't ask why, but a space alien has taken over my fridge and I have the following:

beef rump steaks (6 pieces)
tomatoes
courgette/cucumber thingies
apples
oranges
strawberries
olive oil
yoghurt
nuts
oxo and bisto
tin red kidney beans
jar asparagus

I've also got some lentils and bean things - do they need soaking overnight or just for an hour or what?

Cooking equipment: 1 microwave oven with a big pyrex and small pyrex dish, a gas burner with 1 frying pan. 1 sharp knife.

Quick and simple please! Don't have to use all of it at once btw [Smile]

A- Ingredients: Olive Oil – Tin Red Beans – Tomatoes

1.Slice Tomatoes
2.Crush Red Beans

Add some olive oil to frying pan, then sautee tomatoes (if you have garlic or onion add those first). Then add the Red Beans with a little of water. Bring to boil and let simmer for a while. If you like your foosolya water add a little bit more water. If you like it drier then let liquid dry out. Season salt, pepper (and cumin if you want).
-----------

B-Ingredients: Yogurt + Strawberries

Clean and slice strawberries and add them to your plain yogurt. Yummy.
-----------

C- Ingredients: Apples + Oranges + Strawberries

Slice them small cube size, combine them, and you'll have a delicious fruit salad, eat fresh or apple will turn color.
-----------

D- Lentils ( the lighter the color the quicker they will cook, also if they are split they will cook real quick)

You can soak them, then boil in water them, add salt, pepper, cumin, and yummy. Delicious and very filling.

You can do the same to beans.

GodSpeed [Big Grin]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D_Oro:
Have no ideal what oxo and bisto is.

Similar to Accent & Adobo (MSG basically)
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a bit like a cooking show!

Id chop up the tomatoes and courgettes and fry in a little olive oil and add the drained kidney beans and maybe one oxo if no other herbs or spices and put in a casserole dish for reheating. Then fry the steak. Set steak apart while you add yogurt to pan juices(I usually use sour cream but yogurt would work) to make a quick gravy/ sauce and add one oxo cube to it....
Re heat the bean mixture and serve with steak(could cut it into strips and put on top bean mixture and pour over sauce.
Could heat up asparagus too and put on side.
Quick and easy.
make a fruit salad with apples oranges and strawberries, dollop of yogurt and crushed nuts sprinkled over.

Lentils and beans should be soaked overnight to avoid getting gas!.

Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks [Smile]

I've also got some soy sauce and couscous.

How long do I have to fry beef steak bits for?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Thanks [Smile]

I've also got some soy sauce and couscous.

How long do I have to fry beef steak bits for?

If they are sliced thin and frying pan piping hot, then 3 minutes is fine. Suatee some onions and a little garlic first, bliss.

If you want to make it gravy texture, dissolve corn starch in cold water and add to frying pan.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Lentils don't need soaking, just don't put salt into the water before they are soft.

You can just fry some onions / garlic and then boil the lentils with some spices. Coriander, cumin, turmeric are good, if you have some of that at hand. You could also throw in the chopped tomatoes.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

Lentils don't need soaking, just don't put salt into the water before they are soft.

You can just fry some onions / garlic and then boil the lentils with some spices. Coriander, cumin, turmeric are good, if you have some of that at hand. You could also throw in the chopped tomatoes.

Erm no - I don't have such things as herbs and spices at hand nor onions or garlic.

Long time ago, a boyfriend offered to cook for me (back in the UK) and I said 'you'll have to shop and don't assume I have anything'. Some time later he staggered back from the shop under the weight of various comestibles, proceeded to make busy in the kitchen and about 10 minutes later "where's your oil" [Big Grin] "I told you not to assume I have anything" I said.

Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If youve got couscous make that up with boiling water and add the tomato,bean and courgette mixture and flavour with soy sauce....
Dalia I make dahl which sounds similar to what u do with split red lentils and dont soak those but give them a really good rinse first.

Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Erm no - I don't have such things as herbs and spices at hand nor onions or garlic.

You're a lost case.  -

quote:
Dalia I make dahl which sounds similar to what u do with split red lentils and dont soak those but give them a really good rinse first.
I love lentils and make daals all the time. I usually add lots of fresh chili peppers too.

This sort of daal is even nicer if you use a hand blender after it's cooked to make it very soft and creamy. And if you have time, you can fry the onions until they get crispy and put them on top before serving.
 -

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Shanta you must learn to use herbs! They make all the difference.

Personally, I would throw the MSG away.

I have some beans and tomatoes, I think I will try Exiles dish except these are pinto beans. Hope that will work.

--------------------

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why throw gravy granuals away? They make a great winter drink, lazy gravy and can act as a food enhancer in many beef or chicken dishes.

With the cucumber and yoghurt (assuming it is a cucumber and not a courgette) you could make a nice raita.

You could also mince the beef and use the tomatoes, kidney beans and Bisto to make a Bolognese / chilli style sauce.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
MSG has health risk.

Nutrition and healthy eating

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SQ, if MSG worries you keep the Oxo and Bisto and give it to me, I use it all the time and it would be a shame to waste it [Big Grin]

And throw your microwave out too you don't want any side effects from radiation.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
I used to work in a hospital and there was a patient who fell into a coma at a Chinese restaurant. This was a young mother of two who had no prior known health problems. After seeing this I avoid MSG.

What I understand is that it enhances the food by enlarging your taste buds.

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

What a fiddle faddle.

Am still cooking and i was hungry 1.5 hours ago. Am not used to dinner being more than 5 minutes after the hunger.

Chopping and mixing - life is too short for this.
And when you use the gas burner you can't even walk away and leave it.

Have decanted the lot into a big pyrex dish currently circulating in the microwave.

There's not much MSG in oxo.

All a microwave does is jostle the molecules of water in the food about to make them hot up. Leakage of actual microwave radiation from units is virtually non-existent these days.

Another 4 days of this I think to use up fridge contents [Frown]

@CF - the oxo and bisto were donated by a mutual friend now in Bahrain. If I give up on them, I'll donate on to you.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Bring back aiysh + president - all is forgiven.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I'll be less grumpy when I've finally eaten [Razz]

Hark! The wondrous sound of the microwave pinging.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Who cares about the minimal chance of radiation of the minute trace of MSG in spoonful of Bisto when you are eating Egyptian meat... [Wink]

I dare not discuss the camel meat in Kofta convo we had the other day!!!

vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D_Oro:
I used to work in a hospital and there was a patient who fell into a coma at a Chinese restaurant. This was a young mother of two who had no prior known health problems. After seeing this I avoid MSG.

What I understand is that it enhances the food by enlarging your taste buds.

If you eat a lot of foods containing MSG or similar substances, you will find it very difficult to stop eating. That's because MSG harms the normal function of your endocrine system and it disrupts your appetite control system. So even though you may be physically full from eating, your brain tells you you're still hungry and you overeat.

If you've ever felt like you are eating unhealthy foods but couldn't stop eating them, it could be because you've been poisoning yourself with MSG. If you stop consuming foods with MSG, you may be able to rebalance this natural system and return to healthy, normal appetite control.

If you're looking for hidden forms of MSG chemicals on food labels, look for yeast extract and torula yeast, and anything that is hydrolyzed or autolyzed. Autolyzed or hydrolyzed vegetable proteins are also hidden sources of MSG, according to Dr. Russell Blaylock, author of "Excitotoxins," and perhaps the world's top expert on neurotoxic substances found in the food supply.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/020426.html#ixzz17Z0VcP36

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not just MSG, its your GI levels of the foods you eat.

Glycemic Index; more sugar, processed or not, will create an addiction in the brain for more sugar.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com