Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » thanksgiving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: thanksgiving
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are you all making for thanksgiving? any different from the norm? [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lemon merange pie, turkey.stuffing,green beans,gravy,hot buttery sweet rolls.turnip greens
nasty sweet potatoes,and a few other things.. this yr i am making 2 15 pound turkies cas alot of people are commin.. alot of work for me.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brine-Cured Roast Turkey

Preparation Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Level: Moderate
Cook Time: 3 hours (plus 3 days brining time) Serves: 10
A big turkey is so spectacular you hardly need to do anything to embellish it. But brining can be that extra touch that makes it so juicy and flavorful that you’ll remember it for years to come. Brining the turkey takes 3 days so you’ll need to plan ahead, but the lengthy brining time really pays off with fabulous flavor. Make sure you start with an all-natural bird without any added water and sodium solution. (Recipe adapted from Alice Waters.)
Ingredients:

* 3 gallons water, divided
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 cup kosher salt
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 2 large onions, chopped
* 2 leeks, dark tops trimmed off, chopped
* 1 small stalk celery, chopped
* 4 bay leaves
* 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
* 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
* 4 star anise
* 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
* 1 12- to 14-pound naturally fed, free-range turkey
* 1 large sprig rosemary, for basting
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, for basting

Preparation:

1. Bring 1 gallon water to a boil in a large nonreactive pot that will hold your turkey and fit in your refrigerator (see Tip). Stir in sugar and salt until completely dissolved. Turn off the heat. Stir in carrots, onions, leeks, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, coriander, crushed red pepper, fennel seeds, star anise and thyme. Add the remaining 2 gallons water. Place the turkey in the brine and weight it with a plate, if necessary, so it stays below the surface. Refrigerate for 72 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F.
3. Remove the turkey from the brine, brush off any briny bits and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes (discard the brine). Tuck the wing tips under the turkey. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Place the turkey on a roasting rack set in a large roasting pan.
4. Roast the turkey until the skin starts to brown, about 40 minutes. Use rosemary sprig to baste the turkey with oil. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue roasting the turkey, basting with more oil about every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more, depending on the size of the turkey. If the skin begins to darken too much, cover it loosely with foil.
5. Carefully transfer the turkey to a large, clean cutting board; let it rest, loosely covered with foil, for 20 minutes before removing the string and carving.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
just did my brine....i just used rosemary , fresh sage, salt, sugar , 1 gallon of water and lots of orange zest with 2 oranges, red pepper flakes and cardamon seeds.then 3 tablespoons of dark molasses so the skin will have that crispy brown look
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well my turkies are still frozen lol just took them out the freezer yesterday...makin me hungry..
i have a bad craving for turnip greens and sticky rice.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you can brine them frozen...it takes 72 hours anyway
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:

No cooking this year, traveling day after thanksgiving and want to remain in total relax-mode. Have a lovely thanksgiving dinner with your family. [Smile]
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea im being forced to cook my first tday dinner. i went to giant in plymouth meeting last night to pick up a turkey...almost broke my wrist lugging the huge frozen block of bird to the checkout. got no clue what to do with it.

i dont even like turkey but the fat tard im living with wants it.

i hate the holidays. plus, my mom is native american, and im gonna celebrate the whities coming over who later killed my ancestors off?!

seriously, id rather go to the chinese buffet and call it a day.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
well make home mead stuffing that stove top sucks..i based my turkies with olive oil then drowned it with chicken broth then lawrys seasoning salt and pepper.i stuffed that bird till the leggs wanna split..mom is here to make the lemon pies..im goin all out this yr. and i loves buttered dinner rolls.

--------------------

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:

No cooking this year, traveling day after thanksgiving and want to remain in total relax-mode. Have a lovely thanksgiving dinner with your family. [Smile]
and happy traveling to you...stay safe, buds [Wink]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Thanksgiving to all. May you all stay safe during the holidays and enjoy a lovely and special time with your families. [Smile]

-

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
wellmine is starting off badly that womans thing again.. i hurt so much but i am sooo sleepy as well i have to wait 1 more hr to pop the birds in for 5 hrs.. ewwwww y didnt i sleep all day yesterday.damn me.. its 6am now.. so 7 till 11 am it should be time. i will try and make pics of my dinner,.sounds sooo good. happy thanksgiving to all of my american friends. cas i think its only an american holiday right?and u too tiger cas yr american by injection lolololol

--------------------

krishna
Member # 12633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for krishna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
puppy chow mein, flat cats (served single or in stacks),slab of lab, spit bull,'possum parfait, instant jerky (squirrel), cold crow cuts and sparrow marrow

--------------------
when you see a sacred cow..milk it for all it's worth

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Thanks giving to all of Egypt Search. [Smile]

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We went to a restaurant yesterday evening to celebrate. Look what was on my plate - and yes.... it was veryyyyyyy yummy. And no - it wasn't turkey. [Wink]

-

-

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
and u too tiger cas yr american by injection lolololol

You bad bad girl you, we have to link up eventually. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Hope you are doing better today. There must be more what docs can do for you to get you out of this misery. This has been going on way too long.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
na it was worse today. but i am on kick ass meds so i am fine now. thanks

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com