Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Suggestions needed.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestions needed.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok 3 of my friends and I are going to do our own 'Come Dine with me'.
It seems logical that I go down the Egyptian route and I have quite a few ideas for the meal but any suggestions would be welcome [Smile] The one proviso is it's not too complicated, it's me we are talking about [Big Grin] Preferably the starter and dessert can be prepared in advance!
It should be fun. We will each put money into 'the pot' and then we'll go out for a meal later on, the winner will choose the restaurant.
Thankyou peeps [Big Grin]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rice pudding with rose water is an awesome dessert'''what did you have planned so maybe we can match up the starter and dessert...by how heavy the meal is or on the lighter side...thats how i plan my menu...
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rice pudding sounds good! To be honest I'm just toying with ideas. Hubby has a lovely chicken dish that I thought of, it's like a casserole with all the typical spices, really tastes and smells the business! or I was thinking of kofta with Egyptian salad because I know it tastes good as I have made it before! Alternatively I fly you over to make it all for me [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats a DONE deal Sis...send me the ticket...did you ever consider Tabouli..for part of the meal? God i love thats stuff with the usual hummus and the "SALAD" cukes and tomaotes, onions and garlic, with parsley and mint
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Right I'll get the ticket booked to 'Chef Mick, USA'! It will get there won't it [Big Grin]
Tabouli is an idea. I make my own hummus and can manage the salad!
If you can post the rice pudding recipe that would be great. I can give it a try [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Ingredients

* 3/4 cup rice flour
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 6 cups milk
* 2 pods whole green cardamom, lightly crushed
* Pinch saffron threads
* 3 tablespoons rose water
* Chopped pistachios, to garnish

Directions

Combine the rice flour and sugar and add to a saucepan containing the milk. Slowly bring to a boil whisking vigorously for about 2 minutes, taking care not to scorch the mixture. Add cardamom and saffron and continue stirring for 1 more minute. Remove from heat, and add rosewater. Pour pudding into individual serving glasses and let cool completely. Refrigerate for about 2 hours. Top surface completely with finely chopped pistachios and serve.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicken is a good idea. Not many people have a problem with chicken. I LOVE the giant prawns they do in Egypt with the garlic butter, but a lot of people don't like fish/shelfish (weird with us living on an island) and a lot more don't like messing around peeling them.

Did you watch it tonight? One lady served a fish/cheese dish, knowing one contestant hated fish and one hated cheese. She basically force-fed them. One was wretching.

Someone else served rabbit. Now I like rabbit myself, but I wouldn't serve it at a dinnerparty. I even saw squirrel served on one episode. I'm all for trying new things, but tucking into Squirrel Nutkins? You've got to draw the line somewhere!

I take it you're doing it on the weekends rather than on consecutive nights? If it's on consecutive nights and you're towards the end, I'd go for lighter things because I think people get tired towards the end. If you did a tapas kind of thing, that would be interesting. A lot of things you could prepare in advance.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Thanks Sis! That is brilliant, I'll try it at the weekend on my guinea pig!
Monkey it's going to be each month, no way would we would be doing it everyday!
I saw it today, she was mercenary! You do have to think of other people's likes especially when it is just a bit of fun. We were chatting about it the other day and one girl doesn't like shellfish so there is no way I'd serve it as you want people to enjoy their meal!
No rabbit for me I have to say! It reminds me of the advert a butcher had in his shop window when Watership Down was released:
You've read the book.
You've seen the film.
Now eat the cast [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
how about Kebab's ..easy peasy,,,you have a grill i am sure...get hubby to grill them
like different kinds
chicken with tomatoes or beef with mushrooms and have a couple of dipping sauces for them?
we made an app.at work the were Kebab's ...called BLTs bacon. lettuce, tomato, with a crouton at the end...with a mayo dipping sauce...that's if you eat pork...i am sure the big T doesn't ...but just a suggestion

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
guinea pig!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com