Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » How to cook rice!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to cook rice!
CB
Member # 16645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any tips on how to cook rice please?
No matter what country I am in, or what I do I just cant seem to get it right, and not sticky. I have had lessons with my mum, mum in law, friends and neighbours, is there any hope for my rice?! When living in Enlgand I could fall back on Uncle Ben.
I am trying to cook traditional Egyptian rice that is so nice when anyone but me cooks it.
How do you cook it?

Posts: 24 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 part rice, 2 parts water, in a pot with closed lid. Start from here. Bring to a boil, add salt, let simmer until done.

If all else fails buy a rice cooker, they are inexpensive and cook uniform rice each and every time, they're pretty much dummy-proof. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use one part rice 2 parts water too and I too close the lid. I also put in either lemon juice or cardamons to flavour as well.

I then take it off the boil and put the rice in a bowl and place the bowl in a steamer and put the lid back on so it can steam a little.

Some folk add oil but that does make it sticky. also remember to wash it thoroughly at first as well.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put the rice in a pot with twice the amount of water and some salt, boil, then switch off the plate and let the pot sit, covered, until the rice is done. My rice always turns out nice and fluffy.

No stirring! Stirring brings out the starch and makes the rice sticky.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its simple buy a rice cooker and 2 cups rice 2 cups water.. so easy comes out perfect every time.i cant live without my rice cooker.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=rice+cooker&cp=0&qe=cmljZSBjb29rZXI&qesig=fcakjoeUej1wqNTRRV6Xfg&pkc=AFgZ2tl0838pd3mEoayw2NrDqKIj6Wl86wV9VNLl5D6k Qxw0vO34zt8Zpx2uKJ1lg5nl7P-cEmKUMK97FiIuN32uNME0c_zI5w&wrapid=tljp129501821152900&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6215780449813095322&ei=6GgwTfrgEYH78Aaxwr25CA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct= result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CE4Q8wIwAw#

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of white wine ,saffron,.onion , garlic.,let this come to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 25 mins..perfect every time...
i do throw in some cardamons and sometimes lemon and lime zest,,at the end a dab if butter...
but if you want plain rice 1 cup rice to 2 cups water 25 mins total...DONT STIR....use fork at the end to fluff [Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with Egyptian rice is that it doesn't cook like long grain rice.
It only needs (according to my mother in law) 1 cup water with 1 cup rice.

I have not personally been able to master Egyptian rice, I always ended up using too much water or something but it was always too damp or sticky or had some issue.

I just stick with jasmine now as I prefer it anyways. [Razz] Much less hassle to cook and tastes infinitely better. There is an Egyptian grown jasmine brand and it tastes great and it's cheaper than the imported brands.

But.. if you want to persevere, I had a look online, here's a link with quite a few different opinions on the best way to cook Egyptian rice.
Good luck!

Egyptian rice recipes

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also use and LOVE jasmine rice or basmati
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of white wine ,saffron,.onion , garlic.,let this come to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 25 mins..perfect every time...
i do throw in some cardamons and sometimes lemon and lime zest,,at the end a dab if butter...
but if you want plain rice 1 cup rice to 2 cups water 25 mins total...DONT STIR....use fork at the end to fluff [Razz]

This recipe made me smile [Smile] Watery mouth too [Smile]
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:

This recipe made me smile [Smile] Watery mouth too [Smile]
thank you ....A~ [Razz]
CB
Member # 16645

Icon 12 posted      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thank you very much for all these tips and recipes, I am now feeling very hungry, have printed these off and my husband and friends can enjoy rice for the next few weeks! I have always put oil in to try to stop it sticking, obviously I have been making it worse and worse. [Wink]
One more question, when using the small pieces of pasta as well, would you cook them the same as the rice? Have a good weekend.

Posts: 24 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, pasta is just as simple too, just add water... some folk add salt but I am anti-salt and never add it. In pasta I like to add bay leaves though.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmbiBambi
Member # 18389

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmbiBambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yumm..sounds Awsome Micky I will have to try that!! [Smile]
Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im pretty much useless without my rice cooker. throw it all in there, push the button and leave it alone.
I hate having to watch over pots and pans. I always burn **** because I go and do other things and forget about the stove.

I hate to cook.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukez:
Im pretty much useless without my rice cooker. throw it all in there, push the button and leave it alone.
I hate having to watch over pots and pans. I always burn **** because I go and do other things and forget about the stove.

I hate to cook.

oo girl i know i just 2 days ago got my new black and decker 6 cup rice cooker in the mail from walmart. it has a steamer basket with it. ever since i was a kid we only used rice cookers. i wont cook rice if they or i dont have a rice cooker. the rice comes out perfect every time..no muss no mess no fuss...

http://ricecookerbest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Black-Decker-RC3303-3-Cup-Automatic-Rice-Cooker.jpg

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ironman14
Member # 18555

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ironman14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boiling rice is harder than it looks. Often the finished product is sticky or "gluey." Here's a sure-fire way to produce rice that's light and fluffy.

1. Rinse the rice in water to get rid of excess starch.
2. For a bit of variety, try one of the scented rices, such as jasmine. The amount of the water required and the cooking time will be less than for other types of long grain rice.

steve barbarich, choosehottubsdirect.com

--------------------
steve barbarich, choosehottubsdirect.com

Posts: 2 | From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukez:

I hate to cook.

oo girl i know i just 2 days ago got my new black and decker 6 cup rice cooker in the mail from walmart. it has a steamer basket with it. ever since i was a kid we only used rice cookers. i wont cook rice if they or i dont have a rice cooker. the rice comes out perfect every time..no muss no mess no fuss...

http://ricecookerbest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Black-Decker-RC3303-3-Cup-Automatic-Rice-Cooker.jpg

yea before i got mine, i stuck to instant rice.
if dude didnt like it, he can go to burger king.
[Big Grin]

i ate it...i aint picky. i'll eat 2 cups of yogurt for dinner i dont care. as long as it fills me up, im good. men however, well, you know.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com