Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Kofta

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kofta
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried this recipe?

Kofta

2 lbs beef.

2 onions.

1 slice soft bread.

1/2 cup milk

salt, pepper

Method

1. Mince beef and onions twice (till smooth consistency),soak bread in milk and add to meat together w/ the seasoning.

2. Mix well and shape into rounds 2-3 inch in diameter.

3. Grill or fry on skewers or in a double grill untill cooked.

http://www.touregypt.net/recipes/kofta.htm

Is it good? Do you have a better recipe? I have a pound of ground lamb and I'm really craving kofta for some reason.

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i made this last week for hubby...he said it was better then the Egyptians make...and i used the allspice...very easy to make

* 1 LB Ground Beef or Lamb
* 1 Large Yellow Onion finely chopped
* 1 clove of garlic finely minced or 1 tsp garlic paste
* 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (preferred) or 2 tbsp dried parsley
* 1 egg
* 1 tbsp melted butter
* 1 tbsp salt
* 2 tsp pepper
* 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning or All Spice
* Pita Pocket Bread
* Garlic Tahini Sauce

How to make it

* This is the easiest recipe in the world.
* Mix first 9 ingredients in a large mixing bowl together until all well incorporated.
* Cover and put in fridge for at least 3 hours (let it marinade over night for optimal flavorage {thats not even a word is it?})
* When ready to cook, roll the beef into fingers the size of a man's thumb.
* Some people like to skewer them the long way, I never did though.
* Preheat Grill to Med High Heat and put fingers on the grill so that they are opposite the grill lines (you don't want them falling through).
* Cover and cook 5 mins. Turn over and cook another 5 mins.
* Similar to cooking a burger.
* Toast the pita pockets on the grill.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlic Tahini sauce for your Kofta

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
* 3 gloves garlic, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped (optional)

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
omg thank you thank you!!! Just wish I could get to my grill but it's currently hidden in all the snow! Maybe I'll pull out the george forman, though I know it's not the same. I was just going to fry them in a pan.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
omg thank you thank you!!! Just wish I could get to my grill but it's currently hidden in all the snow! Maybe I'll pull out the george forman, though I know it's not the same. I was just going to fry them in a pan.

i couldnt grill mine either as it also is in the snow and ice...i just baked them in my oven...Georgie would work just fine [Big Grin]
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some spice they use in their kofta here that makes it taste like pork sausage to me. I miss sausage and so kofta is a nice fill in, but I have no idea what the spice is that they use which gives it that flavor. Would rather make it at home than buy outside, as I can control how much spice is used, as though I love the flavor they tend to use a bit too much in everything. I'm sure it's not all-spice, just not sure what it is.
Non-spiced meat doesn't seem to exist in Egypt.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
the spice they put in pork alot is fennel seeds.i dont eat pork but did love sausage...so i tried to find something that would be just as good.fennel seeds, then i grind them up and use them even in my spaghetti sauce..
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks M. [Smile]
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
let me know if you try it...would be interesting to see if you like it as much as i do... [Razz]
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Will do. Might be a little bit but I'll post when I do.
doodlebug
Member # 11649

ok so add ground fennel seeds, maybe a teaspoon to it?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
ok so add ground fennel seeds, maybe a teaspoon to it?

perfect Doodlebug.to each pound
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Made this last night along with koshari. Didn't have cajun seasoning so used Emeril's essence and didn't add the fennel seeds and Usama's reaction was this:

"Bridget, this is very very very good kofta! Thank you, my love! Thank you thank you thank you!"

mission accomplished, thanks Mickey!

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
good job doodle...so proud of you [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com