Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Rice pudding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rice pudding
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could swear there was a thread here on rice pudding but I've been having a look and can't find it.

I've never made it before and though I have several different recipes and can find more online, looking for recipes that people can actually personally recommend. I'd prefer no eggs, but with eggs is fine too.

Also, have seen some recipes that call for short or medium grain rice, and some that call for long grain. I figured Egyptian rice for the short grain, but not sure how the flavor of Jasmine rice will lend itself for a long grain?

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LovedOne, this is how we cook it. Hope you like it [Smile]

Rice Pudding
1/3 cup short grain rice, washed and drained
1 1/2 cup water
3 cups whole milk
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp corn starch, melted in 4 tbsp milk (use from 3 cups milk above)
Pinch of salt

-

Bring 1 1/2 cup of water to a boil, then add the rice and lower the heat. Simmer for about 25 minutes (until a little bit of water is left) with the lid covered in a medium sized pot. Add the cream, milk, vanilla extract, sugar and salt. Then slowly add the dissolved corn starch. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook over medium heat until you see bubbles on the surface. Turn the heat off after one minute.

Pour into 6 small glass bowls with a ladle. Place in the fridge to chill them. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top before serving.

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2006/09/turkish-rice-pudding.php

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pop some cinnamon on top too [Smile]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shahrazat that looks good. Do you think it would be too runny if I used an extra cup of whole milk in place of the cream?
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Member # 11209

Rate Member Icon 1 posted 05 January, 2011 10:36 PM Profile for Chef Mick Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Ingredients

* 3/4 cup rice flour
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 6 cups milk
* 2 pods whole green cardamom, lightly crushed
* Pinch saffron threads
* 3 tablespoons rose water
* Chopped pistachios, to garnish

Directions

Combine the rice flour and sugar and add to a saucepan containing the milk. Slowly bring to a boil whisking vigorously for about 2 minutes, taking care not to scorch the mixture. Add cardamom and saffron and continue stirring for 1 more minute. Remove from heat, and add rosewater. Pour pudding into individual serving glasses and let cool completely. Refrigerate for about 2 hours. Top surface completely with finely chopped pistachios and serve. Posts: 8982 | From: ,phila. PA..

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
Shahrazat that looks good. Do you think it would be too runny if I used an extra cup of whole milk in place of the cream?

I make rice pudding using full fat Beyti...

Lush. I also add strawberry jam too and mix it to make it sweet and pink... nom nom nom

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes you can, I think it wouldn't be runny LovedOne.
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

We always use whole milk here, though I never bought the stuff in the States. Bleeeeech! lol

Either way I will give it a shot, with the cream or replaced with milk. Hubby should be well pleased.
Thanks [Smile]

And yes, perhaps will put some cinnamon on top. Would it be weird to add raisins? I don't think I would add them the first time making it, but maybe in the future.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Okay, rice pudding accomplished. [Big Grin] Haven't tried it yet but it smells good.

-

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay, rice pudding accomplished. [Big Grin] Haven't tried it yet but it smells good.

-

looking good girlie [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Thanks [Big Grin] I haven't tried it yet but hubby said it was really good! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I'm actually not much of a pudding fan but as far as that type of thing goes rice pudding isn't too bad.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I love it... I tried to get an ES lass to try mine but she seemed repulsed lol.

I always add strawberry jam to mine though... it is such a warm winter pudding, and it reminds me of school as this was a popular dessert.

LO, they look simply delicious.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Thanks Cheeky. [Smile] I'll have to suggest jam to hubby, sounds like something he'd go for.

I don't think we ever had rice pudding at school or at home when I was growing up. Pretty sure I never tried any til I was here!

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The German version is pretty much the same. [Wink] Personally, I would add green cardamom and use honey instead of sugar.

Rice Pudding with Cinnamon and Sugar - Milchreis mit Zimtzucker

-

Ingredients

(serves 2-3)
0,5 l (2 cups) Whole Milk
125 g Short-grain Rice
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Butter
1 pinch Vanilla
Cinnamon

Directions

Put milk and rice in a small heavy bottomed sauce pan on the stove and bring to boil while stirring eventually. Reduce heat to smallest possible heat and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes until rice is tender and the pudding begings to thicken. Stir eventually to make sure the rice pudding does not stick to the bottom. When done remove from heat and add butter, sugar and vanilla. Serve warm and sprinkle with Cinnamon and Sugar. It is also often served with canned mandarin oranges though I prefer apples over mandarin oranges. Peel and slice apples and add them to the simmering rice pudding halfway during cooking.

http://www.kitchenklatsch.com/2010/11/rice-pudding-with-cinnamon-and-sugar.html

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

That sounds more like the recipe I used, except for the butter. I decided the recipe posted earlier in the thread seemed like it had too much liquid, so I did some more looking around online and found a recipe that worked well. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com