Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Best Chili Ever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Chili Ever
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Chili Ever

I have made this chili recipe twice and it is amazing.

fyi, I loosely followed the recipe. I left out the pork and the flour, added two cans of red beans, and wasn't too strict about the measurements. This is the fist time I have ever made chili from scratch and I will use this from now on. Really, really good.

I don't know what you could use to make it vegetarian. Would be interested in knowing.

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good for u.. i love chili...home made is the best ever i hate hormel.

i use 4 cans of dark red kidney beans and i small can of tomatoe sauce and beef and 2 packages of schilling mild chili seasoning.and i large cup of water.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D_Oro:
Best Chili Ever

fyi, I loosely followed the recipe. I left out the pork and the flour, added two cans of red beans, and wasn't too strict about the measurements. This is the fist time I have ever made chili from scratch and I will use this from now on. Really, really good.

I don't know what you could use to make it vegetarian. Would be interested in knowing.

You left the pork out for religious reasons or just because you didn't want/have any? Because it also calls for a can of beer! Wondering if you replaced that and if so, with what?

Also, did you put in the cocoa? I know some people like it with spicy foods but I'd think you could safely leave it out?

Also.... lol, 3 tablespoons of chili powder?? Holy smokes!!!! [Eek!]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats not alot of chili powder for 3 1/2 lbs. of meat , loved one
i use a half cup of strong coffee instead of cocoa
instead of beer you could add non alcoholic beer
just some suggestions.
never heard of cornmeal in my chili though.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wouldn't be eating it myself, I can't eat spice like that at all because of acid reflux, so eating here in Egypt can be a bit of a challenge! lol
I'm sure hubby would love the chili though, it just sounded like a lot of spice.

What about using a beef broth instead of beer? I don't know if they sell non-alcoholic beer here (I assume they do) but it would be easier to just substitute something a little more readily available.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
Well, I wouldn't be eating it myself, I can't eat spice like that at all because of acid reflux, so eating here in Egypt can be a bit of a challenge! lol

I don't find Egyptian food very spicy at all. But then I'm a chili pepper junkie and order two portions of shatta with my kushari and extra shatta with Indian meals.
 -
But if you have that particular issue with your stomach, then I guess chili pepper is taboo even in small dosages?

quote:
I don't know if they sell non-alcoholic beer here (I assume they do)

Metro sells Clausthaler and Amstel Zero. But even if you would use regular beer, the alcohol would evaporate.

Regarding a vegetarian version – no problem, you can just omit the beef altogether or substitute it with bulgur. There are countless vegetarian chili recipes out there (for example here), but I usually just make it without a recipe.

This thread has inspired me to make some chili this week! [Smile] Haven't made it in a long time.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Pretty much no (hot) spice at all.
It burns up through my throat and it's very uncomfortable. Not to mention not so good for the throat tissue.
I also had to stop eating tomatoes and I can't eat onion raw, though I love it cooked. Too much garlic is a problem.
I'm a picky eater to begin with, acid reflux just makes me a little pickier. [Big Grin]

I actually don't mind so much, there's so many nice flavors to eat that don't include hot spicy. It seems a lot of people here eat hot sauce on everything. How can you taste the true flavor of a food when it's doused with hot sauce? [Confused] Same for people who put too much salt or pepper on everything. I just love the more subtle flavors of food I guess.

D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Best Chili Ever

You left the pork out for religious reasons or just because you didn't want/have any? Because it also calls for a can of beer! Wondering if you replaced that and if so, with what?

Also, did you put in the cocoa? I know some people like it with spicy foods but I'd think you could safely leave it out?

I left the pork out because I didn't have any, it was so good I didn't add pork the next time either. Kept the beer. Don't leave the coco out, I really think that it adds to the flavor. I did leave the hot sauce out. Oh and I used tomato paste.

I'm telling you that this chili is so good. I don't like things hot. It has a lot of spices in it but they blend together nicely and it really is not hot.... just mmmm mmmm good.

Dalia, let us know how your chili turns out. I hope you try this recipe. I know you don't eat meat, I would like to know how it turns out without it.

Micky, I left out the corn meal too... lol [Big Grin]

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no hun i hate beer would never cook with it/ and i would never put pork in my chili.. dont get me wrong i love pork but there are just some things that should never have been done. and puttin it in chili is one... thats a beef food.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How can you taste the true flavor of a food when it's doused with hot sauce?

When you are used to hot sauce or chili peppers, it does NOT burn your mouth or overpower the flavour of food, in fact, it enhances it.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Tina, you can't taste the beer and the alcohol cooks out. All the flavors merge together. It's really amazingly good. You should try it before judging. [Smile]

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

I don't find Egyptian food very spicy at all. But then I'm a chili pepper junkie and order two portions of shatta with my kushari and extra shatta with Indian meals.
 -
But if you have that particular issue with your stomach, then I guess chili pepper is taboo even in small dosages?

quote:
I don't know if they sell non-alcoholic beer here (I assume they do)

Metro sells Clausthaler and Amstel Zero. But even if you would use regular beer, the alcohol would evaporate.

Regarding a vegetarian version – no problem, you can just omit the beef altogether or substitute it with bulgur. There are countless vegetarian chili recipes out there (for example here), but I usually just make it without a recipe.

This thread has inspired me to make some chili this week! [Smile] Haven't made it in a long time.

the link doesnt come up on my screen...it says the page is not found [Frown]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Weird. It works fine for me.

http://recipeland.com/recipe/v/Moosewood-Vegetarian-Chili-20786

(Love the Moosewood Cookbook, btw. [Smile] )

I couldn't find any kidney beans today, now I'm wondering whether I can just use fava beans. It might not look as nice, but in general beans don't differ that much in taste. Guess I'm just going to try it. What do you think, Micky?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
yes that sounds fine or i also use chick peas (garbanzo beans)..works for me ...tell me if it works for you [Smile]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Tina, you can't taste the beer and the alcohol cooks out. All the flavors merge together. It's really amazingly good. You should try it before judging. [Smile]

true but the thought of beer in it sounds gross
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have baked beans in mine [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
ok, All this talk of "the chili" so I had to cook it again.... Now I remember that I also added more coco, 2 T instead of 2t. The first time I was on a roll with the T and didn't have my glasses on so mistakenly thought it was big T vs little t. The last time I made it the phone rang while I was making it and I accidentally poured too much of the coco out of the container and.... It was awesome.... This time I followed the little t until I tasted and went back and added more..... so I advise to add more coco. [Wink]

Anyway another successful chili venture.... [Big Grin]

Tina, just add the beer and don't put too much thought into it. Maybe you should sample the beer until you loose all fear....or have a glass of wine while cooking. By the time the wine is finished the ingredients are in and the chili is ready to simmer.... my personal favorite technique [Smile]

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
ok, All this talk of "the chili" so I had to cook it again.... Now I remember that I also added more coco, 2 T instead of 2t. The first time I was on a roll with the T and didn't have my glasses on so mistakenly thought it was big T vs little t. The last time I made it the phone rang while I was making it and I accidentally poured too much of the coco out of the container and.... It was awesome.... This time I followed the little t until I tasted and went back and added more..... so I advise to add more coco. [Wink]

Anyway another successful chili venture.... [Big Grin]

Tina, just add the beer and don't put too much thought into it. Maybe you should sample the beer until you loose all fear....or have a glass of wine while cooking. By the time the wine is finished the ingredients are in and the chili is ready to simmer.... my personal favorite technique [Smile]

ooo hunny i have drank beer years ago and its soooo nasty. i hate and despise the smell of any liquor..
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Best Chili Ever

Never made chili with cocoa, coffee, cornmeal, pork, nor beer.

Actually I have a very simple recipe.

4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 lb ground turkey browned before adding to pot.
1 can red kidney beans (I send the beans through a food processor because i can't stand the texture of kidney beans)
1 large 28 ounce can of stewed diced tomatoes
1 medium can of fire torched tomatoes with garlic, onion and green peppers.
1 medium can of petite diced tomatoes with basil oregano and onion.
10 cloves garlic sent through a food processor.

Slow cook in a crock pot after siting overnight in a refridgerator, slow cook on low or "keep warm" for 6 hours and then turn up heat to "high" for another 2 hours.

Make cornmeal muffins with cranberries.

Serve with red wine, preferably Shiriz or cabernet sauvignon.

A dessert of hot cocoa with dark cocoa chips and peeled orange or clementines hits the spot.

I make this about once a month during the winter, and prefer chili to be more tomato than beans.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com