Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » fuul

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fuul
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fool Medames (Egyptian Fava Beans)
Fool Medames (or Fool Mudammas, Ful Medames, Ful Mudammas, Fuul Medammis, etc.,

often just called Fool, Ful or Fuul) is an Egyptian bean stew: the basic recipe is fool (ful, fuul, i.e., fava) beans, cooked until tender, mashed then mixed with olive oil and seasonings, typically lemon juice and cumin. The mashed beans are usually served garnished with egg accompanied by pita bread. Fool is often eaten for breakfast, and is sold by street vendors: Egyptian fast food.

What you need
four cups (about two pounds) dry small fava beans (broad beans or pink beans)one-half cup split red lentils, washed, rinsed, and cleaned (optional)one or two ripe tomatoes, chopped (optional)one onion, chopped (optional)four cloves garlic, crushed (optional)one teaspoon ground coriander (optional)one teaspoon cumin1/4 cup lemon juice1/4 cup olive oilsalt and pepper, to tasteground cayenne pepper or red pepper, to tasteone handful fresh cilantro, parsley, or mint leaves, choppedone bunch green onions (white part and some of the green part), choppedfour hard-boiled eggsWhat you do
Wash and rinse fava beans and soak them, covered with cold water, for an entire day (to have fool in the evening, soak the beans from early one morning until the same time the next morning, then cook). Drain and rinse before cooking.In a large pot, bring fourteen cups (three and one-half times the amount of beans) water to a boil. Add beans and lentils. Boil for several minutes. Skim any foam off top. Reduce heat and simmer. Add the optional tomato and onion (if desired -- or they can be added after the beans are cooked). Cover (and do not uncover) and simmer over very low heat for eight hours. After eight hours, check for dryness. If beans are dry, add boiling water (not cold water) as necessary. Cook another two to three hours, until beans are very tender.Mash beans with potato masher or ricer. Stir in garlic, tomatoes and onions (as desired), coriander, cumin, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer and stir for a few minutes more.Place serving-sized portions into bowls. Garnish to your liking with cilantro (or parsley, or mint) leaves, green onion, and sliced hard-boiled egg. Serve warm with warmed pita bread. (Can be stored in the 'fridge and re-heated.)The beans can also be cooked in an ovenproof casserole dish: Place the soaked beans in the dish, add boiling water, cover, and place in medium-hot oven

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To speed it up,maybe we could try using a trusted good brand of canned beans.The lentils wouldnt need to be canned since they cook soo much quicker than the other beans or fava type.
I do use them this way to make a tasty red beans soup.

Ok,dont slap me for suggesting canned beans,Chef Mick. [Big Grin]

"runs to hide away"

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where did you go Sash? consider yourself slapped ( lightly) [Razz] canned beans? MOI? Unheard of [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky that is oldschool and I love it. Reminds me of a friend I have in Cairo. He is also a fuul purist, he cooks his beans overnight. He makes his own yogurt from scratch too. Almost everything. He helped me out once in a matter and to show my appreciation I bought him a goat [Big Grin] A small chubby one [Big Grin] One day his maid appears and she has this tray with about half the goat baked deliciously. Embarrassed and all I took it. I was embarrassed because the goat was for him, long story short I ate goat for a week. Anyhow I like canned shell-less fava beans (bidoon il ishra) for simplicity sake, but always fry garlic, onions, tomatoes, and proper seasoning. Even sometimes garnish fuul with sliced egg similar to what you wrote above, often with fresh cliantro, extra olive oil - yummy. May just make the fuul from raw beans one day . [Smile]

I make Foosulya (Kidney Beans NON-Sweetened) the same way and almost always with green spicy chillies.

Your recipe above is authentic home-made fuul [Big Grin] Toohfah!

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
ok ok people ..hubby and i went to our favorite market yesterday and i got the canned fava beans.( i do have both)...both are delish, but you know me...i like the OLD SCHOOL WAY., when i have time [Razz]
Exiiled..., hubby bought chicken livers also. he loves them.. so i should just use them , onion , little garlic , and a little water and fry them up.with seasonings of course?
any suggestions?

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
ok ok people ..hubby and i went to our favorite market yesterday and i got the canned fava beans.( i do have both)...both are delish, but you know me...i like the OLD SCHOOL WAY., when i have time [Razz]
Exiiled..., hubby bought chicken livers also. he loves them.. so i should just use them , onion , little garlic , and a little water and fry them up.with seasonings of course?
any suggestions?

That'll work. Make sure you include cumin (secret spice [Smile] ) and also add tomatoes to the garlic/onion fry up. My wife eats chicken liver from the curry house from time to time (anemia) and it is the best recipe. I'll try to find it for you, it's an Indian-Malay recipe.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i do have a recipe for curry liver

liver, onions, garlic yogart, tomatoes, ghee, curry ?
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i never forget the cumin [Razz]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:

Sounds delicious. You can also add a little chopped fresh ginger, red pepper, ground coriander for more bite.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:

Sounds delicious. You can also add a little chopped fresh ginger, red pepper, ground coriander for more bite.
brilliant once again...thanks buddy [Wink] ...in the process of making them now [Razz]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
quote:

brilliant once again...thanks buddy [Wink] ...in the process of making them now [Razz]
Your hubby is a lucky dude. [Smile]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
P.S Tell me how it turned out! [Razz]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
OMG .....awesome...i made eggs with the laughing cow cheese [Big Grin] ( he loves ).and the livers , put them all in a pita , and scarfed it down....was delish....he loves me even more now [Big Grin] [Razz] [Razz]
i am on an Egyptian roll now...Kofta for dinner with saffron rice

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com