EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Cultural connections between Ethiopia & AE (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cultural connections between Ethiopia & AE
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add any that you know of. Linguistic connections are discouraged, since we know that AE and 99% of Ethiopian languages are Afro-Asiatic. I was reading a description of Ethiopia in 1624-34 and came across the use of Kohl (Citation - Manoel Barradas, "Tractatus Tres Historico-Geographici: (1634); A Seventeenth Centry Historical and Geographical Account of Tigray, Ethiopia", Elizabet Filleul, trans., Richard Pankhurst, ed., in Aethiopistische Forschungen 43. Weisbaden: Harrassowitz, 1996, pp. 59-65.).

Use of Kohl/antimony (I'm citing more than necessary because some might find it interesting) - p.64:

quote:
They all generally leave their heads uncovered, using no veils or other head-dress at all. They make do with hairstyles that instead of being simply pulled back are intricately braided or laced and very tightly pulled against the scalp, transforming the hair into furrows or streets; or all pulled straight to the front or to the back in sections, as though made of ribbons or chains. For the same reason they dress their hair with their own butter, which they mix with a black root6 which thickens the hair and makes it sleek and smooth and shining. This is how the wife in the Songs must have dressed it for she vaunts herself on the beauty of her blackness7; and since her reference was not to her hair, because instead she praises her husband's as having a blackness and darkness like that of crows, by imitating them she must have worn hers that way. When the women of Ethiopia wear them that way, twisted into strands that fall down their backs, they sometimes adorn them all over with little round pendant balls of hair. There are many [ladies] among them who lift their hair into high topknots that are gracefully shaped like half-moons. And as their hair is curly or wavy, however high they make their coiffures they have no need for nets or other supports for them. Not even the ladies of Spain with all their artistry and knowledge can dress their hair with such perfection, even though they enrich them with pieces of gold and pearls which the Ethiopians do not possess.

On their faces they put no make-up at all, nor do they need any; only around the eyelids and lips do they use ocule8 from India, which terns them more blue than black.

Notes:

6. Various roots were traditionally used, largely to perfume the hair and counteract the smell of butter. One, reported by Asnaqetch Thomas, a modern Ethiopian haridresser, was Afar-Kocher or Hedychium specatum.

7. 'I am black and comely', Song of Solomon, I: 2.

8. Kwul, or antimony, widely used in Ethiopia to darken the eyelids. Ludolf half a century later wrote that the Ethiopians believe it to be a great preserver of the sight; nor do they less esteem it for Ornament and to beautify their faces with it: For being powder'd they mix it with Soot moisten'd and with a small Pencil... besmear their Eye-lids according to the frequent and ancient custom of the Orientals'. Ludolf, New history, p. 32.

Headrests (p. 61):

quote:
For the same purpose, so as not to take away from the honour and beauty of their hairdos, when they go to bed to sleep, so as not to crush them with the weight of their head, they make some objects of very well turned and worked wood with a half-moon shaped top and a rounded base, half a span high, which they place on the mattress, and they lay and relax their necks on the half-moon. In this way, with their heads encircled by a fleece of hair in the air looking like a wheel on its axis, they are able to sleep and to turn over. This pillow, which they call bercumā,9 is also used by the women for the same reason, to protect their ornate hairdos, as we will discuss later.

Note:

9. Berchuma or berkuma, Amharic, a wooden head-rest. Guidi, Vocabolario, col. 325.

Ethiopian headrest

-

AE headrest

-

There's more at the thread in my forum on general dress & hairstyles if it interests you.

Another may be the tradition of shaving all hair but a tuft when a youth, sometimes braided in Ethiopia tradition, always (?) so braided by Ancient Egyptians into a sidelock:

AE sidelock
 -

Afar Ethiopian boy w/sidelock
 -

Does anyone have any other info on common cultural traits?

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yom, I didn't know Ethiopians used kohl.

What about circumcision as a rite of passage?

-

I remember watching a program on Discovery once showing Afar boys undergoing a circumcision ritual.

In fact, another thing I noticed is that after the ritual during the celebrations many of the people were dressed in white and wearing white heabands identical to the 'fillet' types worn by Egyptians!

-

And speaking of white dresses. I notice many women not only in Ethiopia but Somalia as well wear white linen dresses not much different from those worn by ancient Egyptian women.

Ethiopians
 -
 -

Somalians
 -

And of course the styles of hair braids worn, besides the 'lock of youth':

-
 -

-

Posts: 26295 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there is that mysterious stick or scepter the Egyptians called 'was'...

-

..which Somalis call 'hangool'..

-

and the Hamar of Ethiopia call 'woko'

-

I have also seen it among another Ethiopian nomad group in the highlands whose name I believe is the Gabra(?)

Posts: 26295 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Circumcision was the next thing I was going to mention, both male and female, which seems to be an East African (Afro-Asiatic?) trait that spread to West Asia and West Africa.

The Gabra are an Oromo subgroup who live in Southern Ethiopia near the Kenyan border, not in the highlands, but in rather low-lying pastoral areas, around 500-1000m in height, I think.

As for clothes, I have another citation from the same source if it interests you. Ethiopian clothes are basically always white, with colors sometimes for the trim. Even the poor wear white, actually, a very rough white cloth.

Men (bolding mine):

quote:
CHAPTER XIV

CONCERNING MEN'S CLOTHING.

Although their everyday clothing is neither expensive nor elegant, they nevertheless pride themselves on dressing well, and better than the Portuguese whose dress does not please them. The noblemen and the wealthy wear shirts of white bofetās 1 (I call them shirts because that is the name they give them, and also because they are an all-purpose garment, for under them they use no other shirt). They are always made with the same bofetā as interfacing or lined with another fabric; the sleeves are very long, the ends reaching the tips of their feet where they meet the length of the shirt. They are so tight that they have to force them on, which makes them form many folds along the arms, like those of the Baneanes.2 The shirt collars are high, with much embroidery. If the buttons are not made of silver, as many men have, they are made of green and red silk, which are their favorite colours. The buttonholes are not cut into the cloth but made of string or braided loops of the same silks. These shirts are also made of ambāris3 or azuis[?] or other similar fabrics, but all are more or less of the same cut and style, tied at the waist with a silk sash, by those who have them, or one made out of linen. They do not use belts,4 except for some types which are worn girding their shoulders, though rarely. Normally the shirt reaches as far as the anklebone, the same length as the sleeves.

The trousers worn by the noblemen are of Moorish design, very tight and funnel-shaped, reaching to the anklebone. They are made of velvet, damask, satin or any other silk, but only from the knee down, because the top part is fashioned of a cloth that is as thick and white as sea salt, the same as their woven cloth or some similar native fabric. It would seem that they are determined not to be restrained in the amount of cloth used so that no one can call them stingy, nor vain enough to want to display their wealth in such minor matters, as was once the fashion in other finer and more prosperous places. this is not only the case for the noblemen, even the king himself hews to the line.

On top of the shirt, when they are not wearing cabayas, they wear fotetes or other white canequins5 cut in half and sewn along the edges with threads of red and green or yellow

1. 'A kind of calico'. Yule and Burnell, Hobson-Jobson. The word was of Per[ s ]ian origin, meaning 'woven' and was rendered in Amharic as bufeta. Beckingham and Huntingford, Some records, p. 60.

2. Indian Hindu traders, especially Gujaratis. The term was much used by Portuguese writers of this period, and adopted into Amharic as Banyan.

3. Ambari, Hindi, a coarse fibre and cloth made from Deccan hemp (Hibiscus cannabinus).

4. Long belts or cummerbands, as described by Mansfield Parkyns, Life, II, 7, were by the early nineteenth century common in northern Ethiopia.

5. Pieces of white cloth from India.

silk, if available, leaving a single garment like a sheet in which they wrap themselves. Or if they make these sheets of fotete, fine ones that are locally made because they make ones of excellent quality, or they use other sorts of sheets of the same quality, or those who have silk use that material. They cover their shoulders with these garments and lower them when they want to show respect to someone, or more or less according to a persons stature.6 The greatest respect noblemen can show toward the king, and ordinary men toward the noblemen, is to lower the cloth and cinch it around the waist. This garment is best called a sheet rather than a cape, because it is made like one and is of the same size. It is worn in place of a cape and used in the same way. They are quite right to make this kind of gesture of politeness and not another, because below the head, which is the main part of a man's body that shows, are the shoulders; and as they do not wear hats on their heads or caps, even though some do use hoods neither the Muslims nor the Turks nor the heathens would take them off, therefore, neither should they doff them (even though some of them have started to wear a type of cap made of various kinds of silk): by baring their shoulders they are baring the main part of the body they usually keep covered.

6. Arrangement of the shamma, or wrap, was an essential part of Ethiopian etiquette, and a way of showing respect and defining status. Walker, Abyssinian at home, pp. 14, 125, 167.

quote:

Middle-class men, wherever they are, also wear shirts of the same style and material as desscribed earlier. Those whose position does not entitle them as much fashion them of cheaper cloth. Their pants are usually white, but those of the wealthy and those worn for festive occasions are always black. Their style is not Moorish and funnel-shaped but rather in the style of the old Portuguese drawers they seem to have imitated, with long, wide legs embroidered in white thread so as to stand out against the black. They are different from drawers in that the seat of these pants is very low, set close to the cuffs, and the body of the pants is very tight above and completely closed. Also they often wear something like the bajus10 from India in place of shirts, only with half sleeves, to their elbows; the neckline is long, reaching to the knee. They all adorn their heads in the same way.

The other common folk and peasants wear bulky breaches or local collelas. They do not wear trousers but wear and cover themselves with these clothes and so are decently clothed. However these do not do if one is in a hurry or in a fight, because then they necessarily must imitate the youth who in Christ's prison tore off his coverings and fled naked, for he probably wore what these men wear now. Once, when an attempt was made to persuade them to wear trousers, even men rich in land, owners of many cows, even those with mules to ride upon, answered that quite apart from its being a custom of their country [to go without trousers] hich they did not choose to abandon, they would not because they could not stand the fleas. It is true that some have already started wearing trousers and that those who live in the catamās and courts all wear them, not so much from honesty as to vaunt themselves by so doing.

10. Baju, Marathi, a light jacket worn by women, or Baju'e, Arabic, a piece of clothing with short sleeves and belt.

The Women are described as wearing the same type of cloths, I can PM or post the description of the style, though.

Another connection could be in whitewashing. This isn't usually done for houses in Ethiopia, but it's common for churches and monasteries, and is an Aksumite tradition.

Whitewashed churches & monasteries in Ethiopia:

Yemrehanna Kristos (12th c.):

-

Medhane Alem Kesho (ca. 10th c.):

-

-

Debre Selam in Atsbi (ca. 10th c.):

-

Petros wa Paulos entrance (ca. 10th c.):

-

Whitewashing is also common in the Muslim city of Harar in Eastern Ethiopia.

-

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yom:

^Circumcision was the next thing I was going to mention, both male and female, which seems to be an East African (Afro-Asiatic?) trait that spread to West Asia and West Africa.

I don't think circumcision is an Afrasian trait in itself since the custom is practiced by many Africans in regions where there are no Afrasian languages or even evidence of contact with such langauges. In fact many scholars think circumcision is one of those truly pan-African traits whose origins are lost to times immemorial. But you are correct that it was most likely Afrasian speakers who introduced the custom to West Asia since it was practiced in West Asia exclusively by Semitic speakers.

quote:
The Gabra are an Oromo subgroup who live in Southern Ethiopia near the Kenyan border, not in the highlands, but in rather low-lying pastoral areas, around 500-1000m in height, I think.
Thanks for the correction. I've only heard about them once from a book I've read about East African pastoralists and it showed a picture of a Gabra male elder holding a was-like stick. I wonder what other Ethiopian groups have this object.

quote:
As for clothes, I have another citation from the same source if it interests you. Ethiopian clothes are basically always white, with colors sometimes for the trim. Even the poor wear white, actually, a very rough white cloth.

Men (bolding mine):

quote:
CHAPTER XIV

CONCERNING MEN'S CLOTHING.

Although their everyday clothing is neither expensive nor elegant, they nevertheless pride themselves on dressing well, and better than the Portuguese whose dress does not please them. The noblemen and the wealthy wear shirts of white bofetās 1 (I call them shirts because that is the name they give them, and also because they are an all-purpose garment, for under them they use no other shirt). They are always made with the same bofetā as interfacing or lined with another fabric; the sleeves are very long, the ends reaching the tips of their feet where they meet the length of the shirt. They are so tight that they have to force them on, which makes them form many folds along the arms, like those of the Baneanes.2 The shirt collars are high, with much embroidery. If the buttons are not made of silver, as many men have, they are made of green and red silk, which are their favorite colours. The buttonholes are not cut into the cloth but made of string or braided loops of the same silks. These shirts are also made of ambāris3 or azuis[?] or other similar fabrics, but all are more or less of the same cut and style, tied at the waist with a silk sash, by those who have them, or one made out of linen. They do not use belts,4 except for some types which are worn girding their shoulders, though rarely. Normally the shirt reaches as far as the anklebone, the same length as the sleeves.

The trousers worn by the noblemen are of Moorish design, very tight and funnel-shaped, reaching to the anklebone. They are made of velvet, damask, satin or any other silk, but only from the knee down, because the top part is fashioned of a cloth that is as thick and white as sea salt, the same as their woven cloth or some similar native fabric. It would seem that they are determined not to be restrained in the amount of cloth used so that no one can call them stingy, nor vain enough to want to display their wealth in such minor matters, as was once the fashion in other finer and more prosperous places. this is not only the case for the noblemen, even the king himself hews to the line.

On top of the shirt, when they are not wearing cabayas, they wear fotetes or other white canequins5 cut in half and sewn along the edges with threads of red and green or yellow

1. 'A kind of calico'. Yule and Burnell, Hobson-Jobson. The word was of Per[ s ]ian origin, meaning 'woven' and was rendered in Amharic as bufeta. Beckingham and Huntingford, Some records, p. 60.

2. Indian Hindu traders, especially Gujaratis. The term was much used by Portuguese writers of this period, and adopted into Amharic as Banyan.

3. Ambari, Hindi, a coarse fibre and cloth made from Deccan hemp (Hibiscus cannabinus).

4. Long belts or cummerbands, as described by Mansfield Parkyns, Life, II, 7, were by the early nineteenth century common in northern Ethiopia.

5. Pieces of white cloth from India.

silk, if available, leaving a single garment like a sheet in which they wrap themselves. Or if they make these sheets of fotete, fine ones that are locally made because they make ones of excellent quality, or they use other sorts of sheets of the same quality, or those who have silk use that material. They cover their shoulders with these garments and lower them when they want to show respect to someone, or more or less according to a persons stature.6 The greatest respect noblemen can show toward the king, and ordinary men toward the noblemen, is to lower the cloth and cinch it around the waist. This garment is best called a sheet rather than a cape, because it is made like one and is of the same size. It is worn in place of a cape and used in the same way. They are quite right to make this kind of gesture of politeness and not another, because below the head, which is the main part of a man's body that shows, are the shoulders; and as they do not wear hats on their heads or caps, even though some do use hoods neither the Muslims nor the Turks nor the heathens would take them off, therefore, neither should they doff them (even though some of them have started to wear a type of cap made of various kinds of silk): by baring their shoulders they are baring the main part of the body they usually keep covered.

6. Arrangement of the shamma, or wrap, was an essential part of Ethiopian etiquette, and a way of showing respect and defining status. Walker, Abyssinian at home, pp. 14, 125, 167.

quote:

Middle-class men, wherever they are, also wear shirts of the same style and material as desscribed earlier. Those whose position does not entitle them as much fashion them of cheaper cloth. Their pants are usually white, but those of the wealthy and those worn for festive occasions are always black. Their style is not Moorish and funnel-shaped but rather in the style of the old Portuguese drawers they seem to have imitated, with long, wide legs embroidered in white thread so as to stand out against the black. They are different from drawers in that the seat of these pants is very low, set close to the cuffs, and the body of the pants is very tight above and completely closed. Also they often wear something like the bajus10 from India in place of shirts, only with half sleeves, to their elbows; the neckline is long, reaching to the knee. They all adorn their heads in the same way.

The other common folk and peasants wear bulky breaches or local collelas. They do not wear trousers but wear and cover themselves with these clothes and so are decently clothed. However these do not do if one is in a hurry or in a fight, because then they necessarily must imitate the youth who in Christ's prison tore off his coverings and fled naked, for he probably wore what these men wear now. Once, when an attempt was made to persuade them to wear trousers, even men rich in land, owners of many cows, even those with mules to ride upon, answered that quite apart from its being a custom of their country [to go without trousers] hich they did not choose to abandon, they would not because they could not stand the fleas. It is true that some have already started wearing trousers and that those who live in the catamās and courts all wear them, not so much from honesty as to vaunt themselves by so doing.

10. Baju, Marathi, a light jacket worn by women, or Baju'e, Arabic, a piece of clothing with short sleeves and belt.

The Women are described as wearing the same type of cloths, I can PM or post the description of the style, though.

So what about men wearing skirts or 'kilts' as Westerners call them? I have mostly seen men in Somalia wearing long skirts of the kind worn by men in Egyptian art.

quote:
Another connection could be in whitewashing. This isn't usually done for houses in Ethiopia, but it's common for churches and monasteries, and is an Aksumite tradition.

Whitewashed churches & monasteries in Ethiopia:

Yemrehanna Kristos (12th c.):

-

Medhane Alem Kesho (ca. 10th c.):

-

-

Debre Selam in Atsbi (ca. 10th c.):

-

Petros wa Paulos (ca. 10th c.):

-

Whitewashing is also common in the Muslim city of Harar in Eastern Ethiopia.

-

Interesting.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another connection I just thought of are papyrus reed boats:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
^Those are called tanqwa (t'anq'wa - both ejective) and are common only on the Blue Nile, starting around Bahir Dar. That area used to be inhabited by the Weyt'o people. They still exist, but are completely Amharic-speaking now, but they used to speak a non-Semitic and possibly non-Afro-Asiatic language. Their livelihood was dependent on water, unlike most Ethiopian and Eritrean peoples, and they were largely hunter-gatherers, hunting hippopotamuses, fishing, and collecting fruits, rather than farming or herding.

As for the sticks you speak of, they're pretty widespread in all Ethiopian cultures. Highland peasants have them mainly as walking sticks and to rest their arms on (hanging off them while it rests on their shoulders), and they're widely used by the clergy.

As for the skirts/kilts, they aren't worn by any non-Muslim Amharas or Tigrayans today, but evidently they were worn in ancient times prior to trousers. It must have been a while ago that the switch occurred, though, since some of our images of Aksumites have them wearing trousers.

Drawing from Cosmas Indicopleustes (writing in the early-mid 6th c., but I'm not sure how old the illumination is):

-

Not sure what kind of pants you can discern from these crude Aksumite-era engravings. I don't have access to any better ones, but apparently there are surviving Aksumite statues of better quality:

-

-

At least during the Pre-Aksumite period (D`mt; ca. 9th-4th c. BC), that type of dress was worn (c. 8th c. BC):

-

Now, what evidence is there that circumcision is a general pan-African cultural inheritance?

P.S. You know you're almost at 10,000 posts!

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread! I was also reading 'Punt and Aksum: Egypt and the Horn of Africa' by Jack Phillips recently where he noted the presence of an Ankh sign carved into a stela in Askum. The date of its creation is uncertain and there's a photo of it, but unfortunately I can't seem to extract it from the PDF. - Punt and Aksum: Egypt and the Horn of Africa
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

^Those are called tanqwa (t'anq'wa - both ejective) and are common only on the Blue Nile, starting around Bahir Dar. That area used to be inhabited by the Weyt'o people. They still exist, but are completely Amharic-speaking now, but they used to speak a non-Semitic and possibly non-Afro-Asiatic language. Their livelihood was dependent on water, unlike most Ethiopian and Eritrean peoples, and they were largely hunter-gatherers, hunting hippopotamuses, fishing, and collecting fruits, rather than farming or herding.

^ Hunting hippos as well as fowling and fishing was a favorite past-time of the Egyptians whose roots go back to predynastic times.

Old Kingdom hippo hunt scene
 -

Predynastic hippo hunt palette
 -

According to Wally's research, the tradition of hippo hunting is associated with an ancestral group who came from the south called the Mesenitu who introduced copper particularly in the form of copper pointed spears.

quote:
As for the sticks you speak of, they're pretty widespread in all Ethiopian cultures. Highland peasants have them mainly as walking sticks and to rest their arms on (hanging off them while it rests on their shoulders), and they're widely used by the clergy.
I would imagine so that the sticks are common in Ethiopia. As for the ones you say the clergy use-- the ones that look like canes-- do you think they have an association with the Egyptian crook used by shepards?

quote:
As for the skirts/kilts, they aren't worn by any non-Muslim Amharas or Tigrayans today, but evidently they were worn in ancient times prior to trousers. It must have been a while ago that the switch occurred, though, since some of our images of Aksumites have them wearing trousers...
Now that I think about it, I have seen European illustrations and engravings of Ethiopian men in kilts. Though I am uncertain which ethnic group or groups they depicted.

quote:
Now, what evidence is there that circumcision is a general pan-African cultural inheritance?
I already stated in my previous post that this is taken from the simple fact that the custom is practiced throughout the continent and in areas where no Afrasian speakers exist. The custom is practiced by speakers of all 4 phylums or more and does not seem to have connections to either one exclusively but is indeed associated with Africans in general. The only non-African peoples who have practiced it historically were Semitic speakers, and we know Semitic is an African derived language.

quote:
P.S. You know you're almost at 10,000 posts!
Yes, almost! [Big Grin]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sundiata:

Great thread! I was also reading 'Punt and Aksum: Egypt and the Horn of Africa' by Jack Phillips recently where he noted the presence of an Ankh sign carved into a stela in Askum. The date of its creation is uncertain and there's a photo of it, but unfortunately I can't seem to extract it from the PDF. - Punt and Aksum: Egypt and the Horn of Africa

Interssting source, Sundiata, though I believe it was posted on this board several times before. One thing I question is whether the ankh there is the result of influence from Egypt if not by Meroe or an indigenous icon the result of common (Afrasian?) origin with Egypt.

However, the source does bring up another interesting commonality that was stated before and that is the stela tradition. We have evidence of its presence in Ethiopia being contemporary to that in dynastic Egypt.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how about some symbolism:

This:
 -

and this:

-

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The first is ancient African nobleman overseeing a hippopotamus hunt, the second is a modern European colonial general leading his men to war.

I fail to see a related symbolism.

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
I guess he means the drawing, how there's a commander standing up and out, with a paddling crew hunched around him.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ The first is ancient African nobleman overseeing a hippopotamus hunt, the second is a modern European colonial general leading his men to war.

The message basically goes, "i need to connect everything european to "blacks" as much as possible so i can feel atleast as human as those "why-men" who are so special and almost immortal".
Poor guy, everything he does is a direct reaction to whatever activity he sees going on among those who have mentally masterd him for atleast 400 years.

Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sundiata:

Interssting source, Sundiata, though I believe it was posted on this board several times before. One thing I question is whether the ankh there is the result of influence from Egypt if not by Meroe or an indigenous icon the result of common (Afrasian?) origin with Egypt.

However, the source does bring up another interesting commonality that was stated before and that is the stela tradition. We have evidence of its presence in Ethiopia being contemporary to that in dynastic Egypt.

I almost forgot about that.

Nabta Playa, Egypt - an early Neolithic Egyptian site:

-

Axum, Ethiopia:

-

-

quote:

I already stated in my previous post that this is taken from the simple fact that the custom is practiced throughout the continent and in areas where no Afrasian speakers exist. The custom is practiced by speakers of all 4 phylums or more and does not seem to have connections to either one exclusively but is indeed associated with Africans in general. The only non-African peoples who have practiced it historically were Semitic speakers, and we know Semitic is an African derived language.

But do groups like the San or Twa practice circumcision, for instance?

quote:
I would imagine so that the sticks are common in Ethiopia. As for the ones you say the clergy use-- the ones that look like canes-- do you think they have an association with the Egyptian crook used by shepards?

I was thinking indirectly, having been taken from the original use as a shepherd's cane.

Some of the images posted above aren't working. Care to upload it again, Djehuti?

Here's the 8th c. BC image of a man wearing a kilt again:

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

I posted in another thread that we can't put AA presuppositions onto North Africans such as Maahes or Ausar,

quote:
Originally posted by Yonis2:
quote:

The message basically goes, "i need to connect everything european to "blacks" as much as possible
likewise, a Somali in Europe has can't tell what it is to be African American, especially if he can't even get it straight regarding Egyptians (alleged 99.99% self-proclaimed Arabs)...

Obviously, remarks about someone who merely seeks truth about black Africans wanting to connect them with Europeans (WTF??! - what's this for?) are wrong.

That rubbish aside, Doug may - I'm an African American, allegedly bias, what do I know(?) - have seen what I saw; pioneers of the Nile, and pioneers of the New World.

Though, I must admit that what exactly they were doing - hunting vs. heading to battle - are entirely two different things.

[try to talk about the thread, or anything their in, besides whatever African American, seemingly, the people, you just can't get enough of. Notice I do not wave off your posts as begging to Arabs or anything.]

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The message basically goes, "i need to connect everything european to "blacks" as much as possible so i can feel atleast as human as those "why-men" who are so special and almost immortal".
Poor guy, everything he does is a direct reaction to whatever activity he sees going on among those who have mentally masterd him for atleast 400 years.

Nope. It means much of the symbolism of STATE used in America, from Red, White and Blue, to stars and stripes and other symbolism COMES from Egypt. And as Yom said, the symbolism of George Washington crossing the river is one of nationalistic strength and power embodied by the leader of the nation. This is exactly why the various viziers, kings and high officials in Egypt are always shown standing in their boats. They are inherently symbolic portraits as well as literal portraits of historic acts. Much of the artwork in Egypt is part of a system of national symbolism that was part of a canon of Egyptian art. It was designed always to show the king and his high officials as strong, powerful, in control and on top of the day to day affairs of state, whether it be hunting, fighting battles or worshiping the gods. This pattern of iconography in support of the state is what I am referring to in the two portraits. Now of course the similarity could be purely coincidental, but given that Egypt and its culture was all the craze for Europeans in the late 18th century, around the time of the birth of the American nation, it is quite possible that it isn't.
Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to get into linguistics again, but do you know what does the *baal Proto-Semitic root, translated by Africanists as "soul" (don't remember about its Ethio-Semitic reflex) convey? Is it similar to the Egyptian b3 "double of the person which protects the dead body"?

I also would like to check Beninese Egyptologist Jean-Charles Jean-Charles Coovi Gomez claim about Semitic speakers conception of life being broadly associated with breath, unlike in Egypt where it was associated with light, as well as in non Semitic speaking Black Africa.

Thanks in advance.

quote:
Add any that you know of. Linguistic connections are discouraged, since we know that AE and 99% of Ethiopian languages are Afro-Asiatic...

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Oh! Well if you mean using art as political propaganda, then yes there is a correlation. Although almost all cultures around the globe have done this as well. The nobleman foreseeing a hippopotamus hunt is a little bad analogy though since he is just forseeing a hunt and not leading his men to war. Plus, the tomb image itself was meant as a private image to help usher in these acts of his in life into his afterlife. If you were going to make a comparison to the George Washington portrait, you should use better examples like public art engraved on buildings actually showing pharaohs leading their men to war like Thutmose or Ramses the Great etc.

quote:

I almost forgot about that.

Nabta Playa, Egypt - an early Neolithic Egyptian site:

-

Axum, Ethiopia:

-

Perhaps a better comparison to the Ethiopian obelisk would be an actual Egyptian obelisk like this

-

The style of megaliths in Nabta Playa look more like those of Adrar Madet in Niger.

quote:
 -
Where are these megaliths located?

quote:
But do groups like the San or Twa practice circumcision, for instance?
The San used to practice it as a rite of passage, but discontinued it for some reason. I don't know about the Twa, but I know the Mbuti Pgymies practice it.

quote:
I was thinking indirectly, having been taken from the original use as a shepherd's cane.
Makes sense. The crook became a symbol among pharaohs symbolizing him as leader of his people including spiritual leader.

quote:
Some of the images posted above aren't working. Care to upload it again, Djehuti?
Which ones? The only image I don't see working is the one of the palette.

quote:
Here's the 8th c. BC image of a man wearing a kilt again:

-

As I said, I have seen more recent pictures depicted by Europeans showing Ethiopian men in kilts so I am not at all surprised.
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
If you mean Ba`al, it means "lord" or "master" and was affixed to multiple Gods by Semitic-speakers, as well as representing a god in itself in some societies. The term still means a "holiday" (think of the original meaning of "holy day") or "feast" in Amharic, Tigrinya, and Ge'ez, while "bal" in Amharic (and "be`al" in Tigrinya and Tigre - the "a" sound, although short, is preserved because of the pharyngeal consonant) means a husband, as well as having the meaning of owner and being used in multiple titles (cf. Amharic balager, from bal + hager, "country" = "master of the country," meaning a "peasant."). I'm not sure if this is the root that you meant, but I don't know of any "baal" one without a middle pharyngeal root (at least originally).

As for the soul, yes it is connected to breath, and it is a proto-Afro-Asiatic connection, not just Semitic. The biliteral "n-f," which became "n-p" and then again "n-f" in some Semitic languages, is connected to breathing, life, the soul, etc.. Proto-Semitic *napsh is the word for soul. Let me give some examples in Amharic and Arabic.

Amharic: nefs ("soul"), nifas ("wind"), menfat, nefa ("to blow," from the root n-f-ḥ - first form is infinitive, second is 3rd s. past tense), nifṭ ("snot"), istinfas = ("breath"), tenefese ("to breathe"), menfes ("spirit," from Ge'ez, as in "the Holy Spirit," e.g., menfes qiddus), etc.

Arabic: nafs ("soul"), naffa ("to blow your nose"), tanafasa ("to breathe"), n-f-ḥ ("breeze," I'm not entirely sure about the vowels), nafaṯa ("to spit out"), nafṯ ("spittle"), nafaḫa ("to blow, pump up with air"), nafara ("to expell"), etc.

You could possibly connect P.S. *anp (anf) meaning "nose" to this as well, though it may be derived from P.S. "mouth" (*pay, *pVw, etc.).

Nafs also can be used to mean "self," esp. in Arabic.

--------------------

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
Perhaps a better comparison to the Ethiopian obelisk would be an actual Egyptian obelisk like this

-

The style of megaliths in Nabta Playa look more like those of Adrar Madet in Niger.

quote:
 -
Where are these megaliths located?
Those are from Aksum as well, from the Gudit stelae field where middle class Aksumites erected stelae. I compared Nabta Playa rather than the obelisks due to difference in meaning. Obelisks were meant as monuments just of greatness, declaring the ruler's decrees and his/her conquests, more comparable to Aksumite square slabs of inscriptions detailing conquests. The stelae (note that an obelisk has to be square), however, although the larger ones probably represented more powerful/important personages like in Aksum, were meant as grave markers like in Aksum.

Each group of Nabta Playa stelae most likely symbolized the souls of the deceased from an individual herdsman clan, with the smaller clusters representing specific extended families, just like at the Gebel Ramlah cemeteries.

http://www.pan.pl/english/images/stories/pliki/publikacje/academia/2005/07/20-24%20kobusiewicz.pdf

Another connection can be the underground burial chambers given to important people in Aksum and Egypt, in Ethiopia tied to the stelaes erected for them, in Egypt, sometimes tied to pyramids.

quote:
Which ones? The only image I
don't see working is the one of the palette.

That's the one. One or two others of mine weren't working at the time as well.

quote:
As I said, I have seen more recent pictures depicted by Europeans showing Ethiopian men in kilts so I am not at all surprised.
Post them if you have them, then.

Again, from this source: http://www.pan.pl/english/images/stories/pliki/publikacje/academia/2005/07/20-24%20kobusiewicz.pdf

I noticed another connection, the use of bracelets as popular adornment, although this is a rather common trait among humans:

17th c. description again (women):

All this class of women wear around their necks, where others would wear chains of gold, besides the chokers normally worn by all, strings of glass beads or finely twisted black string knots that look like beads. On their arms they wear bracelets of ivory, glass, brass, copper or other similar materials according to the possibilities of each, and on their fingers rings of the same type. However, some, instead of the chokers I mentioned, make and wear necklaces of small white seashells [cowrie shells - Yom], strung through the middle of the shell, which hang down in various strands from the neck.

Men:

Gold bracelets are worn on their arms on top of the shirt sleeves. They are usually given to them by the king when he is pleased to award them on some occasion, which is his way of giving them praise.14

The common people wear ivory bracelets instead of gold, or ones of brass, copper or even of beaten steel

Now, let's turn to earlier material:

Quotation about King of Aksum from Byzantine sources:

He wore a gold and linen head-dress, with fluttering golden streamers. His collar, armlets, and many bracelets and rings were of gold. The king's kilt was of gold on linen; his chest was covered with straps embroidered with pearls. He held a gilded shield and lances, while around him musicians played flutes and his nobles formed an armed guard.

Unfortunately I can't find any images ATM or quotations for the common people, but from what the head of the Aksum Museum told me, bronze and ivory bracelets were given to symbolize marriage (i.e. husband and wife would wear a matching pair), and I've read that they've been found in early settlements in the North and along the Eritreo-Sudanese borderland. Sorry for the lack of info/pictures.

Here's a BBC article that notes the presence in the 8th c. BC of bracelets at a site near modern Asmara:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2000297.stm

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea (late 1st c. AD) also says this:

"There are imported into these places, undressed cloth made in Egypt for the Berbers; robes from Arsinoe; cloaks of poor quality dyed in colours; double-fringed linen mantles; many articles of flint glass, and others of murrhine [perhaps agate], made in Diopolis [probably Thebes]; and brass which was used for ornament and - in cut pieces - instead of coin; sheets of copper, used for cooking utensils and cut up for bracelets and anklets for the women; iron which is made into spears used against the elephants, and other beasts, and in their wars."

--------------------

Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the answer.I think I have seen it in Takacs 1999, but I don't think the root I mentioned has something to do with the Gods Ba'al...

The life/nose/breath connection isn't limited to "Afro-Asiatic" either, the Wolof, Fulani and Yoruba examples coming to mind.

Do any of Semitic speakers consider Glorious Dead Ancestors as unperishable stars as many other people in Africa?

Are the 9 elements of the human body found among Semitic speakers too?
-"The name revealing the person",
-"the destructive/protective power",
-"seat of thoughts, conscience",
-"shining and immortal spirit of the dead person"
-"transcending and regenerating vital force"
-"flying soul, vital force protecting the corpse"
-"shadow emerging from the grave of the dead"
-"spiritual entity which surrounds the physical body"
-"putrescible body"

quote:
If you mean Ba`al, it means "lord" or "master" and was affixed to multiple Gods by Semitic-speakers, as well as representing a god in itself in some societies. The term still means a "holiday" (think of the original meaning of "holy day") or "feast" in Amharic, Tigrinya, and Ge'ez, while "bal" in Amharic (and "be`al" in Tigrinya and Tigre - the "a" sound, although short, is preserved because of the pharyngeal consonant) means a husband, as well as having the meaning of owner and being used in multiple titles (cf. Amharic balager, from bal + hager, "country" = "master of the country," meaning a "peasant."). I'm not sure if this is the root that you meant, but I don't know of any "baal" one without a middle pharyngeal root (at least originally).

As for the soul, yes it is connected to breath, and it is a proto-Afro-Asiatic connection, not just Semitic. The biliteral "n-f," which became "n-p" and then again "n-f" in some Semitic languages, is connected to breathing, life, the soul, etc.. Proto-Semitic *napsh is the word for soul. Let me give some examples in Amharic and Arabic.

Amharic: nefs ("soul"), nifas ("wind"), menfat, nefa ("to blow," from the root n-f-ḥ - first form is infinitive, second is 3rd s. past tense), nifṭ ("snot"), istinfas = ("breath"), tenefese ("to breathe"), menfes ("spirit," from Ge'ez, as in "the Holy Spirit," e.g., menfes qiddus), etc.

Arabic: nafs ("soul"), naffa ("to blow your nose"), tanafasa ("to breathe"), n-f-ḥ ("breeze," I'm not entirely sure about the vowels), nafaṯa ("to spit out"), nafṯ ("spittle"), nafaḫa ("to blow, pump up with air"), nafara ("to expell"), etc.

You could possibly connect P.S. *anp (anf) meaning "nose" to this as well, though it may be derived from P.S. "mouth" (*pay, *pVw, etc.).

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
^These questions, I honestly couldn't answer informedly, sorry.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by COTONOU_BY_NIGHT:

Sorry to get into linguistics again, but do you know what does the *baal Proto-Semitic root, translated by Africanists as "soul" (don't remember about its Ethio-Semitic reflex) convey? Is it similar to the Egyptian b3 "double of the person which protects the dead body"?

I also would like to check Beninese Egyptologist Jean-Charles Jean-Charles Coovi Gomez claim about Semitic speakers conception of life being broadly associated with breath, unlike in Egypt where it was associated with light, as well as in non Semitic speaking Black Africa.

Thanks in advance.

Yom already answered your query about 'Baal'. As for the Egyptian 'ba', I do know that the word remains in modern Somali as bah where it is associated with the spirit of courage. Hence, a Somali would say of a man 'his ba is great' meaning that he has both great spirit and bravery.

Interestingly enough. The Egyptians also associated the ba aspect with bravery which is why depictions of a person's ba (when not in the form of a bird with a person's head) would be the person as a warrior or guardian like Tut's guardian ba statue below:

Tut's ba armed with mace and staff
 -

Somalis also have 'nidar' for Egyptian 'neter' etc. Mohamed Diriye Abdullahi, author of the book Culture and Customs of Somalia of the Culture and Customs of Africa book series, is also an accomplished linguist who has done extensive work in comparing the Somali language with Egyptian and other Afrasian languages.

If you're interested Cotonou and Yom, here's his homepage: http://www.geocities.com/mdiriye/diriye.html

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Those (the megaliths) are from Aksum as well, from the Gudit stelae field where middle class Aksumites erected stelae. I compared Nabta Playa rather than the obelisks due to difference in meaning. Obelisks were meant as monuments just of greatness, declaring the ruler's decrees and his/her conquests, more comparable to Aksumite square slabs of inscriptions detailing conquests. The stelae (note that an obelisk has to be square), however, although the larger ones probably represented more powerful/important personages like in Aksum, were meant as grave markers like in Aksum.

Each group of Nabta Playa stelae most likely symbolized the souls of the deceased from an individual herdsman clan, with the smaller clusters representing specific extended families, just like at the Gebel Ramlah cemeteries.

http://www.pan.pl/english/images/stories/pliki/publikacje/academia/2005/07/20-24%20kobusiewicz.pdf

I understand now. Interesting.

quote:
Another connection can be the underground burial chambers given to important people in Aksum and Egypt, in Ethiopia tied to the stelaes erected for them, in Egypt, sometimes tied to pyramids.
Do you have anything on the architecture of these underground chambers?

quote:
That's the one. One or two others of mine weren't working at the time as well.
I guess you're going to have to copy the url tag and post it to the web address bar. You can see the picture then.

quote:
Post them if you have them, then.
I don't have those pictures. I have only seen them in books, but hopefully I can scan them one day and post them.

quote:
Again, from this source: http://www.pan.pl/english/images/stories/pliki/publikacje/academia/2005/07/20-24%20kobusiewicz.pdf

I noticed another connection, the use of bracelets as popular adornment, although this is a rather common trait among humans:

17th c. description again (women):

All this class of women wear around their necks, where others would wear chains of gold, besides the chokers normally worn by all, strings of glass beads or finely twisted black string knots that look like beads. On their arms they wear bracelets of ivory, glass, brass, copper or other similar materials according to the possibilities of each, and on their fingers rings of the same type. However, some, instead of the chokers I mentioned, make and wear necklaces of small white seashells [cowrie shells - Yom], strung through the middle of the shell, which hang down in various strands from the neck.

Men:

Gold bracelets are worn on their arms on top of the shirt sleeves. They are usually given to them by the king when he is pleased to award them on some occasion, which is his way of giving them praise.14

The common people wear ivory bracelets instead of gold, or ones of brass, copper or even of beaten steel

Now, let's turn to earlier material:

Quotation about King of Aksum from Byzantine sources:

He wore a gold and linen head-dress, with fluttering golden streamers. His collar, armlets, and many bracelets and rings were of gold. The king's kilt was of gold on linen; his chest was covered with straps embroidered with pearls. He held a gilded shield and lances, while around him musicians played flutes and his nobles formed an armed guard.

Unfortunately I can't find any images ATM or quotations for the common people, but from what the head of the Aksum Museum told me, bronze and ivory bracelets were given to symbolize marriage (i.e. husband and wife would wear a matching pair), and I've read that they've been found in early settlements in the North and along the Eritreo-Sudanese borderland. Sorry for the lack of info/pictures.

Here's a BBC article that notes the presence in the 8th c. BC of bracelets at a site near modern Asmara:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2000297.stm

Very interesting. What about the collars? Have you seen anything in Ethiopia or in other Horn countries that are similar to Egyptian collars like the ones below?

usekh
 -

wesekh
 -

shebyu
 -

Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Thanks in advance.

Yom already answered your query about 'Baal'. As for the Egyptian 'ba', I do know that the word remains in modern Somali as bah where it is associated with the spirit of courage. Hence, a Somali would say of a man 'his ba is great' meaning that he has both great spirit and bravery.

Interestingly enough. The Egyptians also associated the ba aspect with bravery which is why depictions of a person's ba (when not in the form of a bird with a person's head) would be the person as a warrior or guardian like Tut's guardian ba statue below:

Tut's ba armed with mace and staff
 -

Somalis also have 'nidar' for Egyptian 'neter' etc. Mohamed Diriye Abdullahi, author of the book Culture and Customs of Somalia of the Culture and Customs of Africa book series, is also an accomplished linguist who has done extensive work in comparing the Somali language with Egyptian and other Afrasian languages.

If you're interested Cotonou and Yom, here's his homepage: http://www.geocities.com/mdiriye/diriye.html

Wow, some interesting stuff mahne [Smile] .
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
I'm very wary of that guy, b/c I know for a fact Awsar is completely unrelated to Somali. Somali "aw" is a loanword from Semitic Harari in Ethiopia, where Semitic "Ab" (father) evolved into "Aw" by way of "Aβ" (β is a voiced bilabial fricative). Likewise, Saar is a loanword from Ethiopian Zar (as in Zar spirits).

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Any word on the collars or anything else??
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yom:
Likewise, Saar is a loanword from Ethiopian Zar (as in Zar spirits).

What, since when did Zaar become Ethiopian??
And also somali language have loaned nothing from Ethiopian semetic if anything its the arabic semetic language that has incorporated words into the somali language.

Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Djehuti, I'll look into it, but Ethiopian necklaces generally aren't that thick and complicated. More commonly they're made of beads, precious stones, etc. or just a cross around the neck. Collars I don't know much about, so I'll search that, too, but I'm pretty sure the Portuguese quotation was about shirt collars, the one about the King of Aksum less likely so. Here's a depiction of their collars from their coins, though:

Endubis

-

Aphilas

-

Ousanas

-

Hataz

-

quote:
quote:
Yom:
Likewise, Saar is a loanword from Ethiopian Zar (as in Zar spirits).

What, since when did Zaar become Ethiopian??
And also somali language have loaned nothing from Ethiopian semetic if anything its the arabic semetic language that has incorporated words into the somali language.

Why do you take it like it's something to be ashamed of or a bad thing? Aw is from Harari, there's no question about that. Zar, too, is probably a loanword. It's probably originally either Oromo or Agew, very possibly from (or rather the originally pronunciation of, given what we know of Amharic & Agew linguisticS) Jar, the old Agew word for the Cushitic sky-god Waaq.

There are certainly much more loanwords from Arabic in Somali, but Aw is a form particular to Harari, the degeneration b->w is extremely rare in Arabic. It's possible, too, that Zar entered Somali by way of an Arabic intermediary, but it's not necessary to explain its form in Af Somali.

The word "zar" in Amharic is best explained as a loan-word, derived from the name of the ancient Cushitic sky god. The name of this god survives in Bilin as jār, which means "sky" and "god," in Kafa as yerō, "god," and in Gonga as darō, also "god." This theory has been connected primarily with the name of Enrico Cerulli, but was in fact originally suggested by Franz Praetorius in 1894. Although not too certain that the word "zar" was of Cushitic origin, he admitted that "In Bilin, to be sure, jār means 'sky' and 'god' . . . , and the natural assumption would be that through the intrusion of the Jewish, Christian, Islamic God, the old god of the Agaw became a demon."36 In his article "Zār" in the Encyclopaedia of Islam,
Cerulli further developed this theory:

quote:
The ancient pagan god became in christianized Abyssinia a malevolent genius; and in this way the animistic practices, which in the paganism of the Kushites were directed only to the minor superhuman beings, passed into Abyssinian Christianity (and then into Islam) with the proper name of the God-Heaven who had been reduced to a minor rank.37
Littmann, who agreed with Cerulli, explained the existence of the word "zar" or "sar"(Somali) in the sense of "evil spiritikobold, demon" in Cushitic languages by both forms having been "loaned back from the Amharic into the Cushitic along with the sense which the word had acquired among the Christian Abyssinians." Other etymological theories have been put forward, but in contrast to the one presented here, they fail to agree with the historical and other non-linguistic facts.39
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I have seen such elaborate collars worn by Hamar and Karo as well as certain Nilotic groups. I have even seen some West Africans who wear them.

What about amulets? I have seen many amulets worn by Egyptians that bear a striking resemblance to ones worn by nomads from Beja around the area to other groups in Ethiopia and Somalia.

By the way, another thing I just thought of was sistrums. Sistrums were used by Egyptians especially during religious ceremonies, and this tradition is continued by Coptic Christians in Egypt as well as in Ethiopia.

-
 -
 -

-
 -

Ethiopian sistra
 -
 -
 -

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Yom.
Why do you take it like it's something to be ashamed of or a bad thing? Aw is from Harari, there's no question about that. Zar, too, is probably a loanword. It's probably originally either Oromo or Agew, very possibly from (or rather the originally pronunciation of, given what we know of Amharic & Agew linguisticS) Jar, the old Agew word for the Cushitic sky-god Waaq.

No it's not a bad thing, i'm just sceptic by how you attribute everything you see in ethiopia and somalia as being of ethiopian origin. I've seen you do this before at RAS where you ask questions about somali words and compare it to amharic or harari and probably make your own conclusion that it's of ethiopian origin. And also if Zar comes from oromo or Agew as you say then it's a whole different thing since they speak cushitic languages, you do know somali is a cushitic language too? so why does it have to come from oromo or Agew and end up in somali through Amharic transitivity when somali is somehow related to these languages?
Harari is a language which is heavily influenced by cushitic, somalis and hararis have been intermarrying for centuries not to mention oromo, so you can't say "Aw is definetly harari" and passed on to any words that starts with "Aw" in somali, you don't know that you're just speculating and making your own conclusions.
Anyways i was told that Zaar spirit came from northern sudan and its practice was brought to the horn region when Egypt occupied berbera and harar in the 18th hundreds where it spread to rest of ethiopia through harar and southern somalia through Berbera where it's mostly practiced today especially by somali bantu.
The only word i know of in somali from Amharic is injeera other than that it's a pure cushitic language with some few arabic loan words.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
May not be Ethiopian, but these East African Samburu do have striking similarities in cultural and physical traits:

-

-

-

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigyahu/1301433985/in/pool-345746@N23/

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ [Confused] And exactly what are the specifics or rather striking similarities??
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Men wearing short kilt like skirts, carrying staffs and short knob headed scepters, with elaborate beaded neck wear, arm bands and head ornaments.

Those are typical characteristics of many Nilotic Africans. The Ka statue of King Tut shows these characteristics as well.

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Yom.

No it's not a bad thing, i'm just sceptic by how you attribute everything you see in ethiopia and somalia as being of ethiopian origin. I've seen you do this before at RAS where you ask questions about somali words and compare it to amharic or harari and probably make your own conclusion that it's of ethiopian origin. And also if Zar comes from oromo or Agew as you say then it's a whole different thing since they speak cushitic languages, you do know somali is a cushitic language too? so why does it have to come from oromo or Agew and end up in somali through Amharic transitivity when somali is somehow related to these languages?
Harari is a language which is heavily influenced by cushitic, somalis and hararis have been intermarrying for centuries not to mention oromo, so you can't say "Aw is definetly harari" and passed on to any words that starts with "Aw" in somali, you don't know that you're just speculating and making your own conclusions.
Anyways i was told that Zaar spirit came from northern sudan and its practice was brought to the horn region when Egypt occupied berbera and harar in the 18th hundreds where it spread to rest of ethiopia through harar and southern somalia through Berbera where it's mostly practiced today especially by somali bantu.
The only word i know of in somali from Amharic is injeera other than that it's a pure cushitic language with some few arabic loan words.

Whatever, I don't care if you don't want to accept that these are loan-words, I've already given one citation, and here's another for Harari Aw, which is due to Sidamo influence in the weakening of b->w (not a feature in Somali):

In the various South Ethiopic languages an
original non-geminated b can become _b, w in intervocalic and postvocalic positions.

^_b = underlined "b" = voiced bilabial fricative /β/.

In Harari :
aw 'father,' from 'ab.
This phenomenon is most probably due to the influence of the Eastern Sidamo group where the weakening of b to w occurs mainly in Sidamo.10

Anyway, either way, "Ausar" and Somali "Aw" + "Saar" are in no way related.

BTW, I don't try to give Ethiopian origins to Somali things. I know the threads you're thinking about (@RAS), and I was asking out of curiosity and investigation (re:circumcision) and I thought there might have been a better Cushitic etymology for the Saho clan Minifire, since the Emperor Minas + firé/fré etymology sounded very unlikely to me.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Yom:
Whatever, I don't care if you don't want to accept that these are loan-words, I've already given one citation, and here's another for Harari Aw, which is due to Sidamo influence in the weakening of b->w (not a feature in Somali):

I'm starting to get tired of your nonsense. I bet you think you're some sort of authority of everything that happends in that region of the world??
What the hell do you know about the Somali language other than the snippets, pieces and fragments you've catched on the net second handedly by western lingustics? Are you seriously trying to teach me about my own language??
If you want the truth, You speak an almost extinct semetic language heavily influnced by cushitc languages, while we speak a healthy *real* cushitic language slightly influenced by a living and healthy semetic language.
I don't care what the contemporary linguists say about Amhara or Tigrinya/Tigre the reality is that these languages are just cushitic languages that are overwhemingly influnced by south arabic semetic languages through centuries or millenias of dominance. You are actually the one who needs to "accept" certain things not me. Reality expresses itself quite freely with no need of audience or cheerleaders.

quote:
Yom:
and here's another for Harari Aw, which is due to Sidamo influence in the weakening of b->w (not a feature in Somali):

So you mean words in Somali that starts with "Aw" is of "Ethio" semetic origin??
So I Guess words such as:

Awowe > Grandfather

Awadeed> For the sake of it

are derived from south arabian semetic?

[Roll Eyes]

Ps: Seriously next time you create a thread about Ethiopia please don't comment on Somalia or try to relate somalia to Ethiopia in any waYS you might find possible (especially as somekind of an offshot location of your Ethiopia), since these are two totally different countries which are completly distinct from each other, i hope you respect this, thank you.
Eritrea is more suitable since you both speak same kind of bastardized languages between cushitic and semetic.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Yom:
Anyway, either way, "Ausar" and Somali "Aw" + "Saar" are in no way related

I'm sure you're correct in this manner, even though Egyptic and Cushitic are northeastern languages unlike Semetic.

But do i or any somali care?
I have never and i will probably never find many who relate to ancient Egyptians.

We respect them however as a productive people who created superior societies relative to their neighbours, that's where it stops really. I see them more as cousins rather than as brothers.
On the other hand it's YOU who's the one who made a whole thread trying to relate to these ancient cousins to Ethiopians (as afrocentric style) , so please don't try to project by dwelling into Awsaar-(Ausar) posted by Djehuti.

Also More words supposedly of "ethio-semetic" origin in Somali that starts with "AW" according to our resident Horner expert;
Aw= Cause
Aw= sir, mister
Aweyti= Curse
Awaji=Proclaim
Awaal=expect,Asume
Away=where is?
Awamir=instructions
Awdan=covered
Awd=shut,cover
Awal=formerly
Awood=potential, capacity
Awoodsi=ability to do something
Awr=burden camel
Awradhale=stud camel

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Yom:

I'm starting to get tired of your nonsense. I bet you think you're some sort of authority of everything that happends in that region of the world??
What the hell do you know about the Somali language other than the snippets, pieces and fragments you've catched on the net second handedly by western lingustics? Are you seriously trying to teach me about my own language??
If you want the truth, You speak an almost extinct semetic language heavily influnced by cushitc languages, while we speak a healthy *real* cushitic language slightly influenced by a living and healthy semetic language.
I don't care what the contemporary linguists say about Amhara or Tigrinya/Tigre the reality is that these languages are just cushitic languages that are overwhemingly influnced by south arabic semetic languages through centuries or millenias of dominance. You are actually the one who needs to "accept" certain things not me. Reality expresses itself quite freely with no need of audience or cheerleaders.

What are you talking about? Firstly, I've never claimed to be an expert in the Somali language or even know it well enough to speak myself. I do, however, know the origins of these two particular words. Now, if you don't want to accept that because you don't like there being Ethio-Semitic influence in Somali, then fine, ignore it, but it's there nonetheless and for others to see. There's no shame in it, and of course there is plenty of Cushitic and even Somali influence in Ethiopiia. That doesn't make it a Cushitic language any more so than Somali is a Semitic language due to the high frequency of Arabic loanwords. You're arguing from emotion, whereas I have provided citations showing the origins of these words. I'm not saying that it's impossible for "Aw" arose independently in Somali, but it's unlikely given that b->w is an Eastern Sidamo feature and that the same change occurred in Harari, and we know that there was some influence of Harari on Somali as an adstratum, not only during the Adal period, but in subsequent centuries when it was a city state (with control over some surrounding areas as well).

quote:
quote:
Yom:
and here's another for Harari Aw, which is due to Sidamo influence in the weakening of b->w (not a feature in Somali):

So you mean words in Somali that starts with "Aw" is of "Ethio" semetic origin??
So I Guess words such as:

Awowe > Grandfather

Awadeed> For the sake of it

are derived from south arabian semetic?

Firstly, where did I say that every word that starts with "Aw" is of Ethio-Semitic origin? I said that "Aw-Saar/Zaar," a compound of "Aw" + "Saar" postulated by Mohamed Diriye Abdullahi as being the same as "Awsar/Ausar." Is unlikely given that the two words are not of native Somali origin, and therefore, even if such a concept existed in ancient times, couldn't have been so named similar to "Awsar" in AE.

Now the "Awoowe" word is interesting, in that it, if it is related to "Aw," implies that "Aw" has been in use for a long time (long enough for a derived form meaning "grandfather" to arise), but it doesn't change the information I've already provided.

quote:
quote:
Yom:
Anyway, either way, "Ausar" and Somali "Aw" + "Saar" are in no way related

I'm sure you're correct in this manner, even though Egyptic and Cushitic are northeastern languages unlike Semetic.
There's no such division in Afro-Asiatic called "Northeastern," so I have no idea what you're talking about. There are numerous proposals relating the sub-branches, in which Egyptian is variously said to be closest to Beja, Berber, Semitic, and Cushitic, but most simply state that they are are equally closely related, with Omotic being an older split. Somali is no more closely related to Ancient Egyptian than Amharic, really.

quote:

But do i or any somali care?
I have never and i will probably never find many who relate to ancient Egyptians.

We respect them however as a productive people who created superior societies relative to their neighbours, that's where it stops really. I see them more as cousins rather than as brothers.
On the other hand it's YOU who's the one who made a whole thread trying to relate to these ancient cousins to Ethiopians (as afrocentric style) , so please don't try to project by dwelling into Awsaar-(Ausar) posted by Djehuti.

I was relating them not because I think there's any direct relationship, but to examine the cultural elements in common that have survived, either from the Afro-Asiatic tradition or a general East African cultural sphere that may have existed in the past. There's nothing "Afrocentric" (in the derogatory way in which you are using it, obviously comparing Egypt to an African country would be Afrocentric rather than Eurocentric) about it. And if you don't care about the Ancient Egyptians, then what are you doing on this site?

As for Awsar/Aw-Zaar/Saar, I was just pointing out the fact that the link presented wasn't very reliable and cautioning others. Nothing wrong with that.

quote:
Also More words supposedly of "ethio-semetic" origin in Somali that starts with "AW" according to our resident Horner expert;
Aw= Cause
Aw= sir, mister
Aweyti= Curse
Awaji=Proclaim
Awaal=expect,Asume
Away=where is?
Awamir=instructions
Awdan=covered
Awd=shut,cover
Awal=formerly
Awood=potential, capacity
Awoodsi=ability to do something
Awr=burden camel
Awradhale=stud camel

Although I never made this claim (that any word starting with "Aw" is not of Somali origin), you ironically include some words of foreign origin, mainly Arabic, but even one Amharic loanword. "Aw" (sir, mister) we've already discussed, "Awal," with the meaning "formerly" seems to be from Arabic "Awwal," meaning "first" and existing in forms like "fi-il-'awwali," meaning "at first, firstly," the meaning shift to "formerly being slight and in fact a possible usage in Arabic itself, especially likely considering the source would be not Classical or Quranic Arabic but most likely a medieval dialect (probably Yemeni, maybe Adeni). "Awamir" is another Arabic loanword, from the plural of "Amr" - command, instruction, pl. "Awaamir."

"Awaji," with the meaning "proclaim," is a loanword from Amharic. It comes from the Ge'ez root `-w-d (revolve around, cf. `Awde Negest - circle of the kings), which in Amharic picked up a meaning "to promulgate, to declare." After palatization, d->dj (i.e. English j). "Awaj" in Amharic is a proclamation, and an "awaji" is a proclaimer.

quote:

Ps: Seriously next time you create a thread about Ethiopia please don't comment on Somalia or try to relate somalia to Ethiopia in any waYS you might find possible (especially as somekind of an offshot location of your Ethiopia), since these are two totally different countries which are completly distinct from each other, i hope you respect this, thank you.
Eritrea is more suitable since you both speak same kind of bastardized languages between cushitic and semetic.

Just because you feel insecure about having shared cultural elements or even just words with Ethiopians doesn't mean they're not there. If I see them, or wish to speak on them, I will. Of course there are more with Eritrea, but that doesn't mean they don't exist with Somalis as well. And your feeble attempt to slander Amharic and Tigrinya has failed, btw. They're not "bastardized" as you claim, any more than Somali is b/c of its Arabic influence, but either way, there's no shame or insult in absorbing Cushitic language elements. In fact, you are rather insulting yourself by saying that absorbing these elements makes them inferior, when your people are themselves one such source!

P.S. How is Amharic nearly extinct when it's spoken as a first language by some 25+ million and a second language by millions more? There are comparatively fewer (10-15 million) Somali speakers, yet my language is supposedly unhealthy, "fake," and approaching extinction?!

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, PLEASE, PLEASE, let's not turn this into another Ethiopia vs. Somalia thread!!

I thought we have gotten over that petty political conflict months ago! [Frown]

Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those Samburu guys have some nice skin there. Very smooth and dark.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Djehuti:
Guys, PLEASE, PLEASE, let's not turn this into another Ethiopia vs. Somalia thread!!

I thought we have gotten over that petty political conflict months ago! [Frown]

Nah me and Yom are cool, i like Yom i just sometimes don't buy into some of his theories.
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Taking the discourse of the word AW a little further.

Yom,
What about AW preceding just before a name. for instance, Aw-Ali, Aw-Barkhad, Aw-Burhaan and son and so forth. What does it mean- I am curious.

Also, Awal, as in the tribe of Aw-wal Bin Ishaq of the Isaaq tribe. keep in mind the era of Aw-wal was around 1oth century.

Regards

Posts: 107 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

It seems as though Yom's closed circuit cells have run out of fuel on this one.

Regards.

Posts: 107 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Burhan:
Hello,

Taking the discourse of the word AW a little further.

Yom,
What about AW preceding just before a name. for instance, Aw-Ali, Aw-Barkhad, Aw-Burhaan and son and so forth. What does it mean- I am curious.

Also, Awal, as in the tribe of Aw-wal Bin Ishaq of the Isaaq tribe. keep in mind the era of Aw-wal was around 1oth century.

Regards

Aw is used as a title like "father" or "saint" - that's the meaning I was talking about in the first place. Like Aw Qutub.

Awal, though, is Awwal - Arabic for "first." I guess like first-born. There's no connection to "Aw."

Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Hello Yom,

Thanks.

Very close.

The word "Aw" could be used to mean varying emphasis. When it is used in religious circles, it is NOT used as "saint" or father, but in fact it is to emphasize a person's esteem or degree in religious knowledge, and particularly in Sufism, which in such case would mean somewhat advanced than a sheikh- and not to be confused with Awliyaa, which would mean "Saint".

As for the Awal Bin Ishaq. He was the last of his eight sons. Awal was a nick name, his correct name being Abdelrahman. As you have rightly figured, Awal is shorted for Awal al-mu'jiza. The narration of this Mu'jiza or phenomenon is beyond this discourse.

My point was to demonstrate that the word "Aw" may not had been a loan word from the then Abyssinia, rather the opposite may be correct.

Remember, present day Ethiopia is a resent construct and the bulk of present day Ethiopia, with the exception of Abyssinia, and particularly the regions were the word "aw" is used were of the same country back then, in the form of the Adel Empire.

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I sense a great deal of fallacy in your writings. It seems as though you would rape any piece of history for Abyssinia with the disguise of Ethiopia.

I have noticed that any cultural or historical gliter by other Ethiopians such as Afars and others, you would not hesitate to claims it as part of Ethiopia, even when this historical formations had taken place when Abyysinia was not part of this people's knit. On the other hand, you would rush to point out Abyssinian history as such to exclude this pure "rest of Ethiopians".

Furthermore, whatever history that was done during the Abyysinian time, you would claim it to be done by the "South Semitic" peoples. Needless to say that this Abyssinian "Semitic" peoples are actually nothing more than Cushitics as demonstrated by their overwhelming genetics.

Just my observations.

Regards.

Thanks though.

Maahes
Member # 8482

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maahes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that the AE received millet,sesame and teff from the Highlands of Ethiopia ~3500 years ago. The AE also utilized coffee blossoms in flower garlands found in funerary offerings as early as the Old Kingdom. Coffee is endemic to Ethiopia as are the specific millet species and the sesame.

THere are obvious similarities between the Copts in both regions. The cult of Sahure is a bit older.
The religious holiday of Sourial is a remnant of the Sahure cult- Sahure was ritually murdered but legend has it his Ka became entangled in a new entity alien to the Egyptians of his day- Sahure had more than just a body and a double (ka) he had the spiritual body- this spiritual body evidently haunted the land. The Church of Zeitoun in Cairo is built over the temple that Sahure supposedly appeared in after his ritual murder. Sahure's spiritual body was the first mention of any holy ghost-

Much later in history the Ethiopian and Egyptian copts would celebrate the Feast of Sourial- Sourial being the arch angel that spoke to Moses and so on.
In early liturgies Sourial is also called the Holy Ghost. Sesame and teff bread are cooked for the Feast of Sourial and millet paste is made from ground millet and boiled in duck soup for the same feast.

--------------------
The seed cannot sprout upwards without simultaneously sending roots into the ground.

Posts: 152 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
The root I mentioned was actually *baal- "spirit, consciousness, intelligence" which has reflexes in Aramean, Syriac, Arabic, but not in Ethio-Semitic, my bad. (cf Takacs 2001)

quote:
Thanks for the answer.I think I have seen it in Takacs 1999, but I don't think the root I mentioned has something to do with the Gods Ba'al...

The life/nose/breath connection isn't limited to "Afro-Asiatic" either, the Wolof, Fulani and Yoruba examples coming to mind.

Do any of Semitic speakers consider Glorious Dead Ancestors as unperishable stars as many other people in Africa?

Are the 9 elements of the human body found among Semitic speakers too?
-"The name revealing the person",
-"the destructive/protective power",
-"seat of thoughts, conscience",
-"shining and immortal spirit of the dead person"
-"transcending and regenerating vital force"
-"flying soul, vital force protecting the corpse"
-"shadow emerging from the grave of the dead"
-"spiritual entity which surrounds the physical body"
-"putrescible body"

quote:

Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agluzinha, are you Yom?
Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com