EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Some Images from Ancient Egyptian Art (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Some Images from Ancient Egyptian Art
HistoryFacelift
Member # 14696

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HistoryFacelift     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:  -
Some of the images like those on the tomb of Userhat where the skin is dark are unmistakably black. But when the skin color begins to wear, suddenly to the eurocentric they are not even any longer misinterpreted as white meds, but BLOND NORDS! [Roll Eyes]
The interesting thing is the blond hair, seems no different from what the wigs or dyed hair Kushites wore.

-

Posts: 105 | From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coffins found in tomb of Sennedjem:

-

-

-

-

Coffin of Hennetawy:  -

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10647023@N04/with/2248853066/

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Images of Hatshepsut:

-

-

Valley of the Kings:

-

-

-

Ramses III Temple

-

Karnak

-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kjfnjy/359768106/sizes/l/in/set-72157594433515770/

White Chapel Senwosret I at Karnak:

-

Note how he is embracing Min, symbolizing the seed of the earth and mankind in front of the symbols of authority, including a royal standard of the palace (castle) as well as all the other trappings: jeweled belt, wig, uraeus and so forth. All of this underneath the sign for the cross roads, the symbol of the state itself as a political entity.

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomfieldnotes/2233541668/

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
More Karnak:

Seshat Netr of counting holding a notched reed, showing the legacy of the shango bone and the ceremonial use of notched sticks as symbols of royal lifespans in Africa. Such types of staffs can be seen in other cultures in Africa, decorated with notches, shells, beads or other ways of counting.

-

-

-

Pharaoh (hatshepsut?) striding in front of Min. She holds a t square, symbolizing the role of the King in propagating the seed of life, in terms of measuring land plots for agriculture, the origin of geometry (earth measure).

-

Thutmosis IV:

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/sets/72157603967804120/

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Images from the Lieden Museum (European museums have SO MUCH of Egypt's history it is ridiculous spread among museums and private collections big and small, it is a crime the amount of THEFT):

Mentuhotep II:

-

Image of a man with a 'fro:

-

Some images of DARK BLACK Egyptians from old kingdom reliefs (which were quite common in some mastabas):

-

-

-

-

All from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/sets/72157605213488624/with/2517376460/

This is the mastaba of Hete-Her-Akhti (hotep-horakti) that is a prominent part of the Egyptian display at Lieden.

http://www.bubastis.be/art/musee/leiden_05.html

Another nice image from a different Museum:
 -

It is from the Gulbenkian Museum in Portugal:
http://www.museu.gulbenkian.pt/serv_edu/navigating_through_ancient_egypt/index.html

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sundiata:
Sometimes I can't help but wonder

Anyone still wonder if Kemau had any 'true negro' stereotypes?

I was just searching through some threads when I ran by these two:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004075;p=2#000070

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002527

Double ROFL!!!! @ the posts I linked to!

These Eurocentrists always seem to completely contradict themselves.

...The following pics are from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Alive-(What Box):
The AEs, in their art are nice too [Smile] :

-

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
More AE art:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

And I notice the men's/boy's garb looks about familiar, another pic from Loango we have:

-

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some things I notice about Egyptian art in general including all of the above photos (except the first AE man I posted and perhaps a few in the smaller resolution pics I posted):

is that the ancient Egyptians seem to love wearing white, and either shaved their heads or wore wigs.

-

Ex:

-

And most people get fooled into thinking it's real hair.

Especially on this pic!:

-

^^NOT REAL HAIR!! A head piece! [Big Grin]

But that's understandable, unlike the time someone that one phaoroh's tall bright yellow head piece was his hair! (can't find the pic unfortunately)

Don't know about this Princess, though:

-

Oh yeah, and my method of telling [Big Grin]

I'm not psychic: you can tell when it's their real hair by looking for their ears. If you can see them, then it may not be a wig.

Also use common sense: these guys show their ears, but their obviously wearing headdresses.

-

-

LOL .. you know what, I'll try and find some pictures of folks who don't fit these standards ... they don't wear white, they show their hair...etc.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
best I could do:

Ramses here isn't in white:

-

-

Neither is Imhotep:

-

This girl shows her real hair:

-

and so does this guy:

-

And these guys! (older workers TL - there's nudity)

-

-

No traditional clothe in Egyptian martial arts training:

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You may also notice that the man is placed before the women, with respect to the direction they're facing.

-  -

-

..In Mdu Ntr...

-

Is it because behind every great man, there's simply a woman? Is it sexist?

Is this always the case??

-

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
From the artist point of view it illustrates that Kemet wasn't a sexist society.

...but most of the time, you'll find, Kemetians had things in order. (just joking, women in front of men is just fine)

-

btw, if one is observant, one will notice that some of the people (quite a few) in the above pictures show their ears, which contradicts nothing I've said earlier.

It's just likely they were showin their real hair, like these ladies:

-

and unlike these ones:

-

peace, I'm quite done postin pics ... for a while..

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Wow! Just checked-out this thread for the first time some minutes ago. Some damn nice pictures! Outstanding. Lots of these I've seen for the first time.

Thanks for the sharing of all those who posted.

Marc W.

--------------------
The nature of homelife is the fate of the nation.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Images from the 5th dynasty mastaba of Merefnebef, one of many mastabas that have been found from the Old Kingdom but not readily published for the public:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

From: http://www.osirisnet.net/mastabas/merefnebef/e_merefnebef_01.htm

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still reigning and undefeated ImageMaster, DougM!

-

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Agreed, Doug always seems to find the best wall paintings. I wonder where he finds them?

This is one of my favorites:

-

I like the attention to detail on the guy's hair. How did they carve those tiny little circles in with their big chiesels?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He gets them down at the crossroads from Elegba!

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrann0saurus:
^ Agreed, Doug always seems to find the best wall paintings. I wonder where he finds them?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I appreciate all the support. I just found a few sites that consistently show images that others don't. One is osirisnet.net which has historically shown many images of Egyptian tombs that are normally not included in the catalog and table books of Egyptian art. Of course, most of these tombs are the ones with surviving paint that makes it hard to deny the blackness of the AE, but of course that has nothing to do with it now does it?

The other place I go is flickr which has one of the largest public collections of ancient Egyptian imagery anywhere on the net. Two top picks for anyone who is serious about seeing the range of artwork from ancient Egypt. Of course the best bet is always the nearest University Library and Special Research collection, but of course most don't have access to that, which makes the omissions that much more onerous and deceitful.

Anen, priest astronomer of Heliopolis and brother of Tiye. Also well known for a tomb (TT120), which contains a well preserved image of Queen Tiye and Amenhotep III. It is located in Qurna, which recently had all its population relocated so that scholars could restore the many tombs there.

-

-

-

Found in the Museum of Egypt in Turin Italy.
From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11413503@N03/2643542144/in/set-72157604132418128/

The following images are from the Egyptological Museum in Florence Italy:

Head of Queen Tiye:

-

Two girls from an Egyptian tomb wearing red and white....
 -

And some random other stuff:

-

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Images of Ahmose Nefertari Deified through the dynasties:

Stela from Dier El Medina
 -

Fragments of a sedan chair with Ahmose Nefertari with her son Amenhotep I from Turin:
 -

-

-

Stela of Amememope showing Ahmose Nefertari and Amenhotep I:
 -

Thutmosis I and his mother, reproduction by Howard Carter:
 -

Mutnofret daughter of Nebamun, fragment of an image from his tomb:
 -

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Here's a nice fragment of an image of Thutmosis III from Dier el Bahri. This time period is labeled as one of the most colorful and well executed periods of Egyptian art, but how much of it do we see. I am sure there are a number of images like this that are scattered all over.

-

Image of Queen Ahmose from Dier el Bahri in a scene showing something similar to the annunciation to Mary, where the queen is shown bearing the next King. The key here is that there are many such "passion plays" or scenes of divine birth represented in the various temples of Egypt, where the king's mother is shown as being impregnated by the God's (often Amun), often as foretold by some deity and giving birth to the god's seed. All of this is the basis of the whole "immaculate conception" story of Christianity, which in reality is about political power in the Roman Empire and later European world.

quote:
To strengthen her position as pharoh, Hatshepsut invented the myth about her own divine birth which is shown in scenes on the walls of her temple at Deir el-Bahari: The god Amun-Re comes to her mother Ahmose in the form of king Thutmose I and finds her sleeping in her room. He awakens her with his pleasant odor. Amun-Re then places the ankh, a symbol of life, to Ahmose's nose, and Hatshepsut is conceived. Khnum, the god who forms the bodies of human children, is then instructed to create a body and ka, or life force, for Hatshepsut. Khnum and Heket, goddess of life and fertility, lead Ahmose along to a lion bed where she gives birth to Hatshepsut.

To further strengthen her position, the Oracle of Amun proclaimed that it was the will of Amun that Hatshepsut be Pharaoh. She publicized Amun's support by having the god’s endorsement carved on her monuments.

She also claimed that she was her father's intended heir and that he made her crown prince of Egypt.

From: http://guardians.net/hawass/Press%20Releases/identifying_hatshepsut.htm

-

This image of Ahmose is from this scene. Again a repro by Howard Carter:

-

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Pics. Only a twisted fool will deny these are Black Africans.

Worst yet. Say they are white nords.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are all white nordics! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist! [Big Grin]

This whole thread has been INCREDIBLE though. I sure hope there may be additions to it sometime.

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Indeed, where is White Nerd? LOL
Excellent pics, you guys!

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where this picture came from?
 -
I found it on a youTube video and am curious about pics showing the Egyptian's maritime activities.

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I don't know but where are all the white nords of Egypt??
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Probably in the cabin of the ship, trying to stay out of the sun! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Good to be hearing from you again DJ. Been a while.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I don't know but where are all the white nords of Egypt??

Well, I have seen Nordicists point to images such as these:

-

Seriously, images like that where the black paint has been scratched off make me wonder whether archaeologists in the past really were running around "Aryanizing" Egyptian images. I doubt this happens too much today (the stereotypical image of an AE you see in cartoons and movies nowadays is of a guy with long black hair), but knowing the Nazi-type ideologies that were popular up to half a century ago...

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the most beautiful Egyptian pics on the Net. Thanks Doug M.

I wonder what White Nord has to say about these pics.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Much appreciated, but on't thank me, thank the sites and those individuals who put them on the net......
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Some more images from Flickr's ancient Egyptian art Pool:

Ahmose Nefertari: venerated ancestor of the New Kingdom
 -

Ptahmes, chief of temple of Ptah under Ramses II:

-

Reliefs from the tomb of MeryMery in Saqqarah:

-

-

Ramessid Statue:

-

Hathor Statue from time of Amenhotep III:

-

Terra Cotta doll (roman period?):

-

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that braids I am looking at?

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Forget the braids, look at all that dark paint. Even if this artwork comes from the Roman period, obviously the child depicted not that of a Roman or Greek colonist.

As for White Nord, let braindead nords lie.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
A few more:

White chapel Senwosret I:

-

-

-

-

-
Karnak:

-

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10647023@N04/sets/72157601617955386/

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Ramses III temple at Medinet Habu:

-

-

-

-

-

Releasing doves to bring the news to the four corners (of the earth):

-

-

Ramses III
 -

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11413503@N03/sets/72157604638896111/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10647023@N04/2428607780/

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Some coffins:

Rosicrucian museum:

-

Cairo Museum
 -

Emory Museum
 -

Tjuya coffin
 -

British Museum
 -

-

Egyptological Museum Istanbul
 -

Lid from British Museum
 -

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Hey Yonis. Who needs a passport. When I can visit AE in my shorts. HE! HE! HE!

Just kidding. - I have visited several countries around the world but not Egypt. Infact my brother and his 9yr old son is making the trip in a few weeks - some group tour with one of those Afrocentrist [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . Maybe I can upload some pics when he gets back.

Great photos Doug!!

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Ahmose Nefertari again, shown as Mother of the Dynasty and painted black, which is symbolic of her association with the South, the headwaters of the Nile, which represents rebirth and the origin of the Egyptian royal line, which inevitably comes from the South, both during the early 18th dynasty and early dynastic Egypt. All of which is a symbolic and literal representation of the origins of Egyptian dynastic culture being from inner Africa. But it is absurdly hilarious to hear how Egyptologists try and get around this obvious meaning, from calling her color as "covered with asphalt", to being "queen of the necropolis" and all other sorts of non-sense to get around her OBVIOUS symbolism as the Queen who birthed the Great King that liberated the country from the Hyksos, the reds, the desert dwellers, the bringers of dryness and chaos from without. As such she symbolizes the force of the Nile itself, originating IN AFRICA bringing with it renewal and the restoration of the throne of Kingship which originated in the South.

Such symbolism was tied to the entire institution of kingship and worship in dynastic Egypt from the very beginning, with each temple being symbolic of the womb and sacred mound (black earth) of creation from which the pharaoh was born. The black earth both refers to the symbolism of the fertile soil, but also to the skin of those who were the first children of the earth, the man and women of inner Africa, at the headwaters of the Nile. Therefore, the mother of the King was symbolic of the ties of Egyptian kingship to their southern roots IN AFRICA and Ahmose Nefertari was venerated THROUGHOUT the New Kingdom as SYMBOLIC of her role as Queen Mother in restoring Maat in Egypt and restoring the line of Kings from the South.

quote:

Because these royal worship temples celebrated the pharaoh's glory, they were also very close linked with the notion of royal power. We understand that they disappeared at the end of the XXth dynasty when the high priests or the king priests acceded to the throne. At the Ramesseum, the official worship didn't go on beyond the end of the ramesside period.

However, the abandonment of the worship is not synonymus of the abandonment of the place. As soon as, the XXIIth dynasty, a necropolis was settled in most of the outbuildings. The Tombs and the funerary chapel were reserved for the members of the Theban clergy. Some princesses in charge of sacerdotal functions like Sathorkhenem and some divine adoratrices such as Karomama, who came from royal families (Osorkon I, Takélot II) were inhumed in the precinct of the Ramesseum. An organization was set up to manage the plots, the inhumations and the upkeep of the necropolis.

From the XXIXth dynasty onwards, and during the Ptolemaic and the Roman periods, the Ramesseum was subject to several amputations, which brought about the disappearance of the mammisi of Touy and Nefertari and the dismantling of many walls, pillars and columns. Many of these materials were reused in the late arrangements of the complex of Medinet Habou. The removal of pieces of the Ramesseum lasted until the medieval period.

During the first century AD, the temple was transformed into a church. This is proved by some hasty arrangements in the last hypostyle halls and by many engraved or painted graffitis on the walls. The hammering of many reliefs is also a feature of this period. During the last archaeological digs, some architectural elements and some liturgical objects were discovered.

From: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gerard_Flament/ram_eng.htm

-
From: http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/artisans/inerkhaou359/e_inerkhaou359_01.htm

Other stuff:

-

-

Early 18th dynasty
 -

Metjeji Statue:

-

Huni? Old Kingom:

-

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Great thread Doug, one of the best in years

quote:
The black earth both refers to the symbolism of the fertile soil
^ Actually, there are few if any references to black EARTH in mdw ntr.

When the AE reference themselves as Black, they sometimes paint THEIR SKIN jet Black.... in these instances, there is no reference to earth, dirt, soil or the waters of the nile, whatsoever.

The KM.t seldom if ever refer to black waters of the nile for example.

If you have actual references to black water or black earth from Egyptian text please present.

I say, that none exists, and the notion of black water and black dirt is a Eurocentric ruse, to destract from the reality of Black people.

I think you should not further this distraction.

Your own brilliant collection of pictures demonstrates the reality of black people.

There is not a single image that can show a reference to black soil, or black water.

Why is that?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ In my opinion Wally's remains the best and most insightful take on Egyptian color dialectics.

He was the 1st, to my knowledge to point out that the Egyptians referred to what is now called the Red Sea, as the Kem Wer - "Great Black Sea".

Kem wer [miri][large body of water] = The Great Black sea (The Red sea). This sea is neither black nor red, this is in reference to which nation, Black or Red, at a particular time, controlled this body of water.
http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
^ Great thread Doug, one of the best in years

quote:
The black earth both refers to the symbolism of the fertile soil
^ Actually, there are few if any references to black EARTH in mdw ntr.

When the AE reference themselves as Black, they sometimes paint THEIR SKIN jet Black.... in these instances, there is no reference to earth, dirt, soil or the waters of the nile, whatsoever.

The KM.t seldom if ever refer to black waters of the nile for example.

If you have actual references to black water or black earth from Egyptian text please present.

I say, that none exists, and the notion of black water and black dirt is a Eurocentric ruse, to destract from the reality of Black people.

I think you should not further this distraction.

Your own brilliant collection of pictures demonstrates the reality of black people.

There is not a single image that can show a reference to black soil, or black water.

Why is that?

Rasol, why do you respond to my posts as if I am some newbie to Egypt and its history? NO, black earth means black earth. It refers to BOTH the color of the earth AND the first HUMANS of the earth and is SYMBOLIC of the force and power of creation. That symbolism is FUNDAMENTAL to Egyptian cosmology. It isn't a ONE OR THE OTHER issue, it is BOTH. Fundamentally, what it means is that BLACKS are the first humans created on earth and the sacred connection between ALL mankind and the force of creation in the universe. Isis, Heru and Wosir (Osiris) are SYMBOLIC of the force of creation and regeneration as a FUNDAMENTAL force of biology and genetics, which TIES ALL THINGS to the great throne of Osiris, the primeval essence of human creation, ie the Great Black, the LIVING EARTH, the SEED and essence of the living spirit of creation in the flesh, BORN from the earth.

When I speak of the black earth and black seed, THAT is what I am referring to, which IS INDEED what is symbolized in ancient Egyptian cosmology. This has NOTHING to do with Eurocentric attempts to create a FALSE DICHOTOMY where the symbolism of BLACKNESS as it relates to fertility or the earth, thereby means it CANNOT be related to skin color. OBVIOUSLY, in Egyptian cosmology, with its MULTI LAYERED SYMBOLISM, things are not that SIMPLE.

Quote from the Pyramid texts:

quote:

626a. To say: O Osiris N., stand up, lift thyself up;

626b. thy mother Nut has brought thee forth; Geb has wiped thy mouth for thee.

626c. The Great Ennead avenge thee;

626d. they put for thee thine enemy under thee.

627a. Carry thou (him who is) greater than thou, said they to him, in thy name of "He of the Great Saw Palace."

627b. Lift (him up who is) greater than thou, said they, in thy name of "He of the Great Land Nome."

628a. Thy two sisters Isis and Nephthys come to thee; they heal thee

628b. complete and great, in thy name of "Great Black,"

628c. fresh and great, in thy name of "Great Green."

629a. Behold, thou art great and round like the "Great Round";

629b. behold, thou are bent around, and art round like the "Circle which encircles the nb.wt";

629c. behold, thou art round and great like the "Great Circle which sets."

630a. Isis and Nephthys protected thee in Siût,

630b. even their lord in thee, in thy name of "Lord of Siût";

p. 126

630c. even their god in thee, in thy name of "God."

631 a. They adore thee, so that thou shalt not (again) withdraw from them, in thy name of "Dwȝ-ntr" (or, "divine Dwȝ");

631b. they take care of thee, so that thou mayest not (again) be angry, in thy name of "Dndr.w-boat."

632a. Thy sister comes to thee, rejoicing for love of thee.

632b. Thou hast placed her on thy phallus,

632c. that thy seed may go into her, (while) it is pointed like Sothis.

632d. Horus the pointed has come forth from thee as Horus who was in Sothis.

633a. Thou art pleased with him, in his name of "Spirit who was in the Dndr.w-boat";

633b. he avenges thee, in his name of "Horus, the son, who avenges his father."

From: http://www.darksideofthenet.com/ista/egy/pyt/pyt19.htm

This is an all encompassing world view not simply a one dimensional idea. And it represents TRUTH, literally, symbolically and HISTORICALLY, which is why it is so powerful to begin with. For humans were born in Africa and the result of the forces of creation, which makes them the original SEED of the earth which was carried to the four corners of the earth. Which makes Egyptian cosmology more than some made up mythological fairy tales told to please the crowd. It represents potent historical, biological, anthropological truths, tied into a political framework. It is the original PASSION play or drama of life itself and has powerful imagery underlying it, which actually reflects on the fundamental biological essence of human life.

And another image that I forgot to post earlier, showing another tradition that has African roots:
Seti I lassoing the sacred bull at Abydos:

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I must agree with Rasol. The color black was sacred to the Egyptians who associated it with the divine hence Ahmose Nefertari depicted in black since here elevation to divine status. No 'earth' or 'soil' involved which is why it's funny to see the Eurocents spin about these crazy explanations even those which say the black color represents her "death". LOL
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
And to further show how the symbolism of the earth, blackness, the seed, the "sun" or son of the earth is found in the symbolism, note the following passage carefully:

quote:

632a. Thy sister comes to thee, rejoicing for love of thee.

632b. Thou hast placed her on thy phallus,

632c. that thy seed may go into her, (while) it is pointed like Sothis.

632d. Horus the pointed has come forth from thee as Horus who was in Sothis.

633a. Thou art pleased with him, in his name of "Spirit who was in the Dndr.w-boat";

633b. he avenges thee, in his name of "Horus, the son, who avenges his father."

It represents the symbolic renewal of the country as personified by the inundation of the Nile, which flows from the south and is associated with the "flow" (like the Nile) of kingship and the royal line which is the personification of this essence with the newly risen "king" as the manifestation of the balance between the forces of life and death and the well being of the country.

The symbolism is found firstly in Sothis, the morning star or great EASTERN STAR of the horizon, Sirius, which announces the YEARLY inundation of the Nile and the return of the fertility of the black earth. She represents she who is ready to give birth and ready for the new birth of spring as Horus the living seed, who is avenging the season of death and dismemberment of his father (the yearly threshing the dead grain and chaff after the harvest) at the hands of his uncle set (the season of dryness). This is the manifestation and representation of OSIRIS as the LIVING EARTH (great black and great round) regenerating himself by becoming the great green (plant, animal and human reproduction) which is the great circle (cycle) of creation and is symbolic of the creative essence of the universe itself, which is the invisible blackness that encircles all.

From this you get the concept of the King as Osiris or Horus, the risen seed, being symbolic of the "daily bread" of the people as he who is the living life force of the earth and the reproduction of plants and animals and the propagation of the seed (agriculture, animal husbandry), the seed of animal husbandry and life sustainment harnessed by the king is symbolized by the lassoing of the Great Bull and is symbolized in the Apis bull: male seed of cow reproduction, another symbol of Osiris and of course Hathor is representation of the womb or uterus.

And all of this is why Jesus was born in a manger, or in other words in a farm setting, surrounded by cows, announced by the rising of a star in the East and immediately visited by Magi signifying their understanding of him as the "risen lord", which is actually a personification of Serapis, the Hellenized version of Osiris and Apis, the "savior" (of his father) and a deity of grain and the harvest.

quote:

n Egyptian mythology, Apis or Hapis (alternatively spelt Hapi-ankh), was a bull-deity worshipped in the Memphis region.

According to Manetho, his worship was instituted by Kaiechos of the Second Dynasty. Hape (Apis) is named on very early monuments, but little is known of the divine animal before the New Kingdom. Ceremonial burials of bulls indicate that ritual sacrifice was part of the worship of the early cow deities and a bull might represent a king who became a deity after death. He was entitled "the renewal of the life" of the Memphite god Ptah: but after death he became Osorapis, i.e. the Osiris Apis, just as dead humans were assimilated to Osiris, the king of the underworld. This Osorapis was identified with the Hellenistic Serapis, and may well be identical with him. Greek writers make the Apis an incarnation of Osiris, ignoring the connection with Ptah.

Apis was the most important of all the sacred animals in Egypt, and, as with the others, its importance increased as time went on. Greek and Roman authors have much to say about Apis, the marks by which the black bull-calf was recognized, the manner of his conception by a ray from heaven, his house at Memphis with court for disporting himself, the mode of prognostication from his actions, the mourning at his death, his costly burial, and the rejoicings throughout the country when a new Apis was found. Mariette's excavation of the Serapeum at Memphis revealed the tombs of over sixty animals, ranging from the time of Amenophis III to that of Ptolemy Alexander. At first each animal was buried in a separate tomb with a chapel built above it. Khamuis, the priestly son of Ramesses II (c. 1300 B.C.), excavated a great gallery to be lined with the tomb chambers; another similar gallery was added by Psammetichus I. The careful statement of the ages of the animals in the later instances, with the regnal dates for their birth, enthronization, and death have thrown much light on the chronology from the Twenty-second dynasty onwards. The name of the mother-cow and the place of birth often are recorded. The sarcophagi are of immense size, and the burial must have entailed enormous expense. It is therefore remarkable that the priests contrived to bury one of the animals in the fourth year of Cambyses.

Sothis:
quote:

The Greek name for the goddess called Sopdet by the Egyptians. She was the personification of Sirius, the Dog Star. This star, after a long period of invisibility, reappeared again in the sky just when the Nile innundation was about to begin - the so-called heliacal rising of Sirius. The start of the new year, heralded by the rising of the waters, was linked with this 'going forth of Sothis' and led to the goddess being called 'lady of the new year'. On the basis of a depiction on an ivory tablet from the 1st Dynasty, which shows Sothis in the form of a cow with a plant between its horns, it has been concluded that at this early time already, a relationship was seen between the arrival of the goddess and the new year. Only once in every 1,460 years did the heliacal rising of Sirius coincide with the start of the solar year. Such a event occurred during the reign of Antoninus Pius in 139 AD. Taking this as a starting point, it can be calculated that earlier concurrences took place in 1,321 BC and in 2,781 BC. As we also have records of the phenomenon from the reigns of Senwosret III and Amenhotep I/Thutmosis III, this makes it possible to draw up a more precise chronology of Egyptian history. Sothis was often mentioned as a member of a triad, with her husband the god Sah (the personification of the constellation of Orion) and the child, the god Soped. Parallels link the three divinities with Osiris, Isis and Horus. As early as the Pyramid Texts, it is stated that Sothis united with Osiris and then gave birth to the morning star. Sothis is usually depicted as a woman with a star on her head, and sometimes also cow's horns, copying Isis who in turn had adopted this attribute from Hathor.

From: http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/glossary.aspx?id=359
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I must agree with Rasol. The color black was sacred to the Egyptians who associated it with the divine hence Ahmose Nefertari depicted in black since here elevation to divine status. No 'earth' or 'soil' involved which is why it's funny to see the Eurocents spin about these crazy explanations even those which say the black color represents her "death". LOL

Why was black divine and how did the Egyptians represent the divinity of blackness in their cosmology? I just GAVE you a passage from the Medu Neter showing CLEARLY that Osiris is the "Great Black" ROUND EARTH and symbolic of the LIFE FORCE of the earth AND UNIVERSE (the great circle) as maintained through the SEED, which is SYMBOLIC of the KINGSHIP of the COUNTRY ITSELF.

So can you not read?

quote:

627b. Lift (him up who is) greater than thou, said they, in thy name of "He of the Great Land Nome."

The Great Land Nome is the 8th nome of Upper Egypt or ABYDOS. Abydos is the Nome of Osiris and is the location where many rites and rituals central to the Osirian drama were carried out. The name says it all.

quote:

628a. Thy two sisters Isis and Nephthys come to thee; they heal thee

Right here, you have two references, one to "great black" as meaning what and then "Great Green". Now what does great black and great green in reference to the SAME deity? Not to forget that the FATHER of Osiris is MIN who is almost ALWAYS depicted as a BLACK MALE with an erect penis representing FERTILITY. THAT RIGHT THERE shows the connection between blackness, the earth, the seed and HUMAN BEINGS. Osiris is the Ka or SPIRIT of the life force of th EARTH ITSELF. And that Ka or LIFE FORCE is manifested in human form as the GREAT BLACK, which is THE EARTH PERSONIFIED, the RISEN SEED of the earth, the FIRST FORM to emerge from the time of FIRST CREATION from the SACRED MOUND that arose in.... guess where? INNER AFRICA.

Ahmose Nefertari is almost always shown as black because SHE is the mother of the Dynastic line, with her color meaning the renewal of the royal line, meaning the rebirth of the dynastic seed and the ascension of SOUTHERNERS to the throne of Egypt, after a period of chaos and death caused by the foreigners. This strong black symbolism is ALSO seen in the 11th dynasty when Mentuhotep reigned after a long season of death (actual droughts) and conflict in Egypt and surrounded himself with BLACK WOMEN (kemsit) in order to ENSURE the renewal and rebirth of the BLACK SEED and the health of the country. The IRONY here is that mostly MALES are considered as the defenders and protectors of the womb and the seed of life and hence depicted as the black Earth and seed of Osiris and the FATHER of the dynasty. However, Ahmose Nefertari is unique in this respect AS A WOMAN she becomes symbolic of the dynasty itself and the POWERFUL FORCE of the restoration and regeneration of the royal line and the seed of the throne and the defense of this institution.

All you guys do is talk about Eurocentrism when Egyptian cosmology existed thousands of years before such a thing was thought about. The "black Queen" Ahmose Nefertari is a parallel to the legendary "white Queen" of various European cultures. They BOTH represent ancestry and ties to geographical origins, with the "white queen" representing white skin, the white snow and the cold environment that PRODUCES such people, whereas Ahmose Nefertari represents EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, black skin, the black earth and the environment that produces such people.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Old Kingdom stuff:

Mastaba Uhemka at the Roemer Pelizaeus Museum, Hildesheim Germany
 -

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/menesje/2185419267/in/pool-443927@N22/

Tomb Of Perneb Metropolitan Museum of Art:

-

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/524321772/in/pool-443927@N22/

Met Museum page of the tomb:
http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/perneb_tomb/bc_a.html

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Some images from Karnak:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/menesje/2767191315/in/pool-443927@N22

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Hatshepsut temple:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
He gets them down at the crossroads from Elegba!

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrann0saurus:

alTakruri, what are you really saying? Your cryptography goes over my head often times.

Please break it down for the learners.

Also, please do be extra vigilant with your TNV account. The gang is very sore right now. I have dragged them around on a leash tied to the behind of my chariot for many days now on ES.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ That whole leash and chariot thing is what they probably do in their homes anyway. LOL [Big Grin]

Anyway, keep it up Doug.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Most of these images come from a few places: flickr and some from Osirisnet. But for even more spectacular images, books are the best and a trip to a good university library would turn up much better stuff than this.

Hathor:

-

Bes:

-

Amarna worker:

-

Woman with Lily:

-

Pepi:

-

Stela:
 -

Djedefre:

-

Hathor:

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Why was black divine and how did the Egyptians represent the divinity of blackness in their cosmology?

Not because of the Nile Valley: things were divine because they were 'black' (- their blackness marked their divinity).

The 'red' desert to the North was not divine because it was not [black].

The black woman/man was rich and fertile as was the black [/b]land[/b] of the Nile.

Black <-> life/creation; red <-> death/destruction.

Osirus, the spirit of the Earth is black because the Earth brought forth life; osirus is fertile.

Set didn't become an antagonist until he was adopted by reds/Asiatics.

Kmt's blackness isn't dependant on their connection to land though. If you happen to think so then well you're looking at this backwards. Let me explain:

Something or someone doesn't need to be land-oriented in order for it to be black/fertile or red/infertile.

The land (or person) however does need to be 'red' to be infertile and need to be black to symbolize fertility [virility].

quote:
quote:

Right here, you have two references, one to "great black" as meaning what and then "Great Green". Now what does great black and great green in reference to the SAME deity?
Yes, black symbolised completion among other things.

quote:
the FATHER of Osiris is MIN who is almost ALWAYS depicted as a BLACK MALE with an erect penis representing FERTILITY.
quote:
Osiris is the Ka or SPIRIT of the life force of th EARTH ITSELF. And that Ka or LIFE FORCE is manifested in human form as the GREAT BLACK, which is THE EARTH PERSONIFIED, the RISEN SEED of the earth, the FIRST FORM to emerge from the time of FIRST CREATION from the SACRED MOUND that arose in.... guess where? INNER AFRICA.
Yes, another connection between black and fertile.

quote:
This strong black symbolism
.. is just that, black symbolism.

"Kemet" refers to the polity and the people.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doug M:

Kmt's blackness isn't dependant on their connection to land though. If you happen to think so then well you're looking at this backwards. Let me explain:

Actually it is dependant on the land, because the blackness is a form of nationalism and national identity where the symbolism within the cosmology is what TIES the people to the land as defined within their world view, belief system and culture. That fundamental ideology is what supports the power of the ruling class and political system of ANY nation. It is the earliest form of the idea that the people are "chosen" by the God's as a symbol of the power of God's creation and the land is a symbol of gods continual blessings to the people. Their fate and destiny is in the hands of the ruling class, where the rulers are stand ins and agents working on the behalf of the "gods", maintaining order and the land as a symbol of gods blessing to the people. Such ideas are fundamental to the development of modern nationalistic/theological doctrines and why religion has developed as a tool of colonialism and empire building, because it allows others to define THEMSELVES as chosen by the 'gods' and therefore granted EXCLUSIVE privileges in terms of being able to harvest the wealth and prosperity of the land, no matter whether they are NATIVE to those lands or not. It is also the basis of the doctrine of white supremacy which is also a blatant form of nationalism rooted in European masonic theft of African culture and turning it on its head in order to further the aims of white nationalism, which itself is based on a FALSE view of history, a FALSE view of biology and a FALSE view of creation. Therefore, they are NOT servants of truth they are NOT keepers of the law and they are NOT keepers of the word. They are liars thieves and crooks, looking to use the goodness of nature as a basis for wanton death and destruction in the name of "the gods". The ideology and cosmology of KMT is based on FACT and TRUTH. The black seed IS the root of humanity on earth. It IS the first creation of the gods' and it DOES reflect gods creative force in the universe.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com