EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Obama's speech at Martin Luther King Jr.'s church (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Obama's speech at Martin Luther King Jr.'s church
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obama's speech at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church in Atlanta.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/mlkvideo

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ And what has that got to do with the subject of this forum-- ancient Egypt??

NOTHING.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kennedy supporting Obama. Inspiring speech.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/kennedystream

--------------------
The nature of homelife is the fate of the nation.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Louise Gates new site THE ROOTS, sponsored by Newsweek (ummm) http://www.theroot.com/id/43925 carried a YouTube on Obama Girl. The same link seems to give two different viewings: one of the Obama Girl Mini-movie, the other of an interview. Whether it's a glitch or not, I don't know:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/106624

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's … Super Obama Girl? In a primary campaign that hasn't exactly been wanting for weirdness, Amber Lee Ettinger—Obama Girl to you—is back in all her viral video glory, this time well endowed with superhuman political powers. Ettinger gyrated her way to Web fame last June, lip-syncing "I Got a Crush … on Obama" in the maiden video by Barely Political, a Web site that posts weekly hit-or-miss humor. Obama Girl was an unexpected smash. "Crush" has been viewed more than 5.5 million times on YouTube and was declared one of the top 10 videos of 2007 by YouTube and, ahem, NEWSWEEK. Four other Obama Girl videos have followed and Ettinger—who has since modeled for Maxim, Playboy (in a bikini) and FHM, among other lad mags—has even been dispatched to cover the New Hampshire primary and the CNN/YouTube debate in South Carolina. "This video has made younger people interested in politics," says Ettinger. "It lets you look at these candidates as real people."

Maybe. It has certainly gotten a lot of young men to look at Sen. Barack Obama's most infamous supporter. (Or is she? In an interview with NEWSWEEK, Ettinger declined to say who she's really planning to vote for.) In the newest video Ettinger has traded her red hot pants for superhero tights. There's also a new song, again sung by vocalist Leah Kauffman, who rhymes wonky with funky. Watch as Super Obama Girl, blasted by the senator's ray of hope, does battle with the "forces of darkness," which apparently include both Chuck Norris and Bill Clinton. We learn that it's because of Super Obama Girl that her man carried Iowa, and that the reason Obama failed to take New Hampshire was that she was trapped by Sen. Hillary Clinton's henchmen, Status and Quo. "A lot of the feedback we were getting was people thinking the ["Crush on Obama"] video could actually help Obama," says Barely Political founder Ben Relles. "This spoofs that idea." It's also enough to make you, regardless of your politics, pray for an Obama victory—and four more years of Ettinger.

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
This YouTube is a four-minuter where Caroline Kennedy and her brother Ted endorse Obama and he speaks before the audience himself at American University:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/kennedystream

--------------------

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
test, test
Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Monday, February 4, 2008
CAMPAIGN NEWS
Obama Closes On Clinton In National Polls

As the candidates head into Tuesday's de facto national primary, four new polls out in the last 24 hours show Barack Obama challenging Hillary Clinton for the lead nationally. USA Today reports, "The Democratic presidential race has become a cliffhanger as a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll on Sunday showed...Obama wiping out...Clinton's double-digit national lead just before coast-to-coast contests on Tuesday." The two "stood at Clinton 45%, Obama 44% in the latest snapshot of the volatile race."

ABC World News reported, "Tonight, with one full day of campaigning left, we have a new national poll showing a very tight Democratic race. ... Hillary Clinton now holds just a four-point edge over Barack Obama, 47-43%."

The AP notes a CBS News poll finds Clinton and Obama tied at 41 percent each.

A Pew Research Center poll shows Clinton with a wider lead, up 46%-38% over Obama. However, in a similar poll taken in mid-January, Clinton led 46%-31%.

With Clinton's Lead Eroding, Race Seen As Long-Term Affair Coverage of Super Tuesday portrayed Clinton's lead as shrinking nationwide in the face of intense and effective campaigning by Obama and his surrogates. All three networks led with Super Tuesday coverage. ABC World News reported, "We may actually not get an answer for weeks if not months," to the question of who will win the Democratic nomination. ABC's George Stephanopoulos said, "It could go on for a very long time if Obama upsets Hillary Clinton in two states especially, Missouri and California." The New York Times reports Clinton and Obama are "enmeshed in a tough national fight, illustrated by polls showing the race had tightened both nationally and in key states voting on Tuesday where Mrs. Clinton had once enjoyed a comfortable lead. ... Aides to Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama said Sunday that they now believed that their contest, unlike the Republicans', could extend well beyond the multistate contests on Tuesday."

The Washington Times reports that the Clinton and Obama "campaigns are preparing for a protracted battle, looking ahead to contests in Louisiana and Maine and the Mid-Atlantic region on Feb. 12. 'This is a hunt for delegates,' said Clinton strategist Mark Penn. 'We're going right through to the convention.' Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs agreed: 'What everyone once thought was going to end on Feb. 5 is really just going to be the next hurdle.'"

The New York Sun reports that "For Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama, there are relatively few opportunities to run up the delegate score. Their best bets are likely in their home states: New York and Illinois. Mrs. Clinton's lead in the Empire State is nearly 20 points, according to the Real Clear Politics average, while a Chicago Tribune/WGN poll yesterday showed Mr. Obama ahead by 31 points in Illinois."

Clinton, Obama In Tight Battle In Super Tuesday States

State polls out in the last 24 hours show Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in a tightening race in the big prize, California, while Missouri is shaping up to be a close contest..

Five Polls Show Tight Race In California A Field Poll of 511 likely California Democratic primary voters taken January 26-February 2 shows Clinton Leading Obama 36%-34%.

An American Research Group poll of 600 likely California Democratic primary voters taken February 1-3 shows Clinton leading Obama 47%-41%.

A McClatchy /MSNBC/Mason-Dixon poll of 400 likely California Democratic primary voters taken January 30-February 1 shows Clinton leading Obama 45%-36%.

The Washington Times reports a Suffolk University poll of 700 likely Democratic primary voters shows Clinton leading Obama 40%-39%.

A Zogby International poll of 967 likely California Democratic primary voters taken February 1-3 shows Obama leading Clinton 46%-40%.

Clinton Up Big In New York A Marist College poll of 409 likely New York Democratic primary voters taken January 30-31 shows Clinton leading Obama 52%-37%.

Clinton Leads Obama In Two NJ Polls, Tied In Third A Zogby International poll of 847 likely New Jersey Democratic primary voters taken February 1-3 shows Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama tied at 43% apiece.

A Strategic Vision poll of 600 likely New Jersey Democratic Primary voters taken February 1-3 shows Clinton leading Obama 47%-41%.

A McClatchy /MSNBC/Mason-Dixon poll of 400 likely New Jersey Democratic primary voters taken January 30-February 1 shows Clinton leading Obama 46%-39%.

Obama Tops Clinton In Three Georgia Polls A Zogby International poll of 864 likely Georgia Democratic primary voters taken February 1-3 shows Barack Obama leading Hillary Clinton 48%-31%.

A Strategic Vision poll of 600 likely Georgia Democratic primary voters taken February 1-3 shows Obama leading Clinton 49%-27%.

A McClatchy /MSNBC/Mason-Dixon poll of 400 likely Georgia Democratic primary voters taken January 30-February 1 shows Obama leading Clinton 47%-41%.

Polls Show Tight Race In Missouri A Zogby International poll of 851 likely Missouri Democratic primary voters taken February 1-3 shows Obama leading Clinton 47%-42%.

An American Research Group poll of 600 likely Missouri Democratic primary voters taken January 31-February 2 shows Obama leading Clinton 44%-42%.

A McClatchy /MSNBC/Mason-Dixon poll of 400 likely Missouri Democratic primary voters taken January 30-February 1 shows Clinton leading Obama 47%-41%.

Clinton Holds Narrow Edge In Arizona A McClatchy /MSNBC/Mason-Dixon poll of 400 likely Arizona Democratic primary voters taken January 30-February 1 shows Clinton leading Obama 43%-41%.

Clinton Tops In Oklahoma A Tulsa World poll of 426 likely Oklahoma Democratic primary voters taken January 27-30 shows Hillary Clinton leading with 41%, followed by John Edwards with 24% and Barack Obama with 17%.

Clinton Up 2 In Delaware An American Research Group poll of 600 likely Delaware Democratic primary voters taken January 31-February 2 shows Clinton leading Obama 44%-42%.

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Oprah Winfrey rallies voters for Barack Obama, February 05, 2008
Article from: Herald Sun, Stefanie Balogh

-
Down, but not out: Singer Stevie Wonder is helped
by Michelle Obama after taking a tumble
. Picture: AFP

STAR supporters have rallied to Barack Obama's SOS just hours before tomorrow's crucial Super Tuesday clash - with Oprah Winfrey again heading the charge to woo the female vote away from Hillary Clinton.

Senator Obama, locked in a tooth-and-nail battle against Senator Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination, is trying hard to deliver what women want to help him cross the finish line.

At a packed Obama rally in Los Angeles, Winfrey addressed a backlash from some of her female viewers, who have accused her of being a traitor to the sisterhood because she was supporting a man over a woman for US president.

"I was both surprised by that comment and insulted, because I've been a woman my whole life and every part of me believes in the empowerment of women but the truth is I'm a free woman," the world famous television talk show host said.

"And being free means you get to think for yourself."

Winfrey said she was not a traitor to her gender but following her own truth that had led her to Senator Obama.

"I will never vote for anyone based on gender or race," she said.

"I'm voting for Barack Obama not because he's black, I'm voting for Barack Obama because he is brilliant."

On Super Tuesday - tomorrow Australian time - Democrats in 24 states vote in nominating contests including the delegate-rich states of California, New Jersey and New York.

But the biggest day of simultaneous primaries and caucuses in US presidential history is not expected to break the deadlock between senators Obama and Clinton.

On the Republican side, John McCain, a Vietnam War hero, is on track to stitch up his party's presidential nomination and defeat millionaire Mormon businessman Mitt Romney when 21 Republican states vote on Super Tuesday.

Senators Obama and Clinton are in a dead-heat for tomorrow's primaries and their battle for the nomination is expected to go on for weeks.

Senator Obama yesterday recalled the megawatt star power of Winfrey to his campaign, after the success of her lobbying helped him win Iowa.

Senator Obama enjoys strong support among African-Americans, well-educated voters and the young.

Winfrey was joined by the influential presence of Stevie Wonder, Maria Shriver and Caroline Kennedy, the only surviving child of slain US president John F. Kennedy.

Ms Shriver is another member of the powerful Kennedy Democrat clan and wife of Republican Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger.

She made a surprise appearance to endorse Senator Obama just days after her husband endorsed Senator McCain in the Republican nomination race.

California's first lady said of Senator Obama: "He is about empowering women, African-Americans, Latinos, older people, young people. He is about empowering all of us."

Singer Stevie Wonder made a mark in more ways than one.

He stumbled and fell while ascending the stairs to the stage hand-in-hand with Senator Obama's wife, Michelle.

After he sung a ditty to the next big thing in American politics, he made a quip about his detour.

"By the way, I was so busy looking at the first lady that I lost my way," Wonder said.

And today (Australian time) the surviving members of the Grateful Dead will reunite for the first time in four years to rally support for Senator Obama at a concert in San Francisco.

Electioneering briefly went on the back burner yesterday as Senator Clinton and her White House rivals settled in to watch the Super Bowl.

A jubilant Senator Clinton forecast a pay-off for her nail-biting White House race after the New York Giants grabbed the Super Bowl in a thrilling climax to the American football season.

"What an incredible ending," the New York senator said in a bar in Minnesota after watching the Giants come from behind to vanquish the previously unbeaten New England Patriots 17-14 in what is traditionally America's most popular television spectacle.

"Super Bowl, Super Tuesday . . . we've got one down, let's get the other one!" Senator Clinton said as she jumped in the air and high-fived a group of children.

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Harold Varmus Endorses Obama
By Nicholas Thompson,February 03, 2008; Presidential Election

Harold Varmus won a Nobel Prize for his cancer research, ran the NIH for seven years under Bill Clinton, and is now in charge of Sloan Kettering. He's a brilliant scientist, aFf_136_varmus1_f mensch, an advocate for opening up vast troves of scientific information---and now a supporter of Barack Obama.

-

His endorsement should mean a lot. He's become one of the nation's great public explainers of science, and he understands the need for scientists to stand up when reason and research conflict with politics---as has happened repeatedly on issues like stem cells, climate change, and evolution. He knows that people concerned about scientific progress should be concerned about who's elected president.

He clearly respects both Hillary Clinton and Obama. But he's decided the latter is a better choice. Here's the statement he sent to Wired:

"The country and the Democratic Party are fortunate to have two remarkable people running for President in 2008: Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. I have known Hillary Clinton for about fifteen years---I served as Director of the NIH during the Clinton Administration; she has been one of my two Senators for the past eight years---and I like her immensely. More to the point, I admire her intelligence and commitment to public service, and I agree with her on nearly all matters of policy (save for some important votes on Iraq). In particular, I applaud her understanding of the relationship between science and the federal government (most recently displayed in an excellent speech she delivered at the Carnegie Institution). If she is nominated to be the Democratic candidate for President, I will support her campaign whole-heartedly.

But on Tuesday, I will vote for Senator Obama, and here's why. I believe that the Bush administration has so deeply damaged this country's status, both at home and abroad, that the situation demands the leader who can most rapidly restore our self-respect and the respect of others around the world. This can best be achieved by a clean break with recent history. In that sense, Obama offers more than intelligence, sensible positions on policy, and dedication to public service---the characteristics he and Hillary Clinton share. He represents a new kind of leader, one without ties to a divisive past and one who portrays through his personal history a global perspective that is both crucial and unprecedented. His election, like no other, would instantly announce that America has turned a corner historically and will now be led by a distinct and fresh intellect."

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Feminist leader sides with Obama over Clinton, The Baltimore Sun, by Mark Silva

In the tug of loyalties between Sen. Hillary Clinton's appeal to women and Sen. Barack Obama's appeal to a vote for change, Kate Michelman, one of the stalwarts of the women's rights movement, has cast her support to Obama.

Michelman, former president of the National Abortion Rights Action League, had been backing former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, and then he withdrew. Now Michelman explains, in a column published at The Huffington Post, why she will remain in the camps of Democrats attempting to deny Clinton the Democratic Party's nomination.

"The question I have been asking myself and others during my entire life in public policy and throughout this 2008 presidential campaign -- the question which tens of millions of women and men have also been asking -- is how do we best bring America together in shared purpose, prosperity and, especially, equality,'' Michelman writes.

"Those of us who until last week worked for Sen. John Edwards to become president were always fighting for something bigger than any of us and bigger than all of us. We were also part of a movement with the objective, John's objective, of lifting up all Americans.

"John Edwards is not going to be president, and so what we who were helping him must do is now elect the individual who has deep in his core John's principles and vision for this country. And so today, with every passion and enthusiasm I have, I am endorsing Senator Barack Obama to be president of the United States,'' she writes.

See the rest in the Huffington Post, and here:

"Barack Obama is also calling our nation to the greatness that we all want but that we're uncertain we can still achieve,'' Michelman writes. "Others talk about greatness and they even say all the right words, but they do not bring those words to life. Their words do not grab us by the arms and pull us along together.

Barack Obama, like John Edwards, is redefining what is possible and in so doing he's changing us, each one of us.

Many who had given up on politics are re-engaging. Many who had grown tolerant of the intolerable are now ready to demand more ­ and not just from themselves but others. And many who had given up believing that the ideals of equality, dignity and justice would ever again be as politically important as money and power, now believe again.

And this too is why I'm endorsing Senator Barack Obama.

Barack and John Edwards were different candidates, with different backgrounds and life experiences, but all these many months and really throughout their lives, they have been on a common path.

Both are focused on changing our politics, both are committed to shaking the foundation of the Washington establishment, and both are profound voices for what our country should and can be.

When I endorsed John Edwards for president, I did so because I was confident he would help lift women out of poverty and protect a woman's right to make her own decisions about if or when to have a family. I was confident that if John were in the White House, the single mother, who was working two jobs, living paycheck to paycheck, and worried about health care and child care, would have more influence than the well-healed corporate CEO armed with a team of lobbyists.

And when I endorsed John Edwards I also knew that Barack Obama shared every one of these concerns, and over the course of Barack's own campaign, the nation has come to believe in him just like I always have as well.

Senator Obama is not just prepared to lead ­ as our beloved Teddy and Caroline Kennedy have said, he is prepared to lead in a way different than we have seen for decades. Not out in front with us behind him, but rather with us beside him.

And that difference is all the difference. That difference separates just any president from a great president; and right now, we need a great president.

Barack Obama will be that great president. He will bring us all together. And together, we will change our country.

During these past many years, we have lost the sense of what we could do together, who we could be, what was possible.

That's changing.

And Barack Obama is the one changing that.

With him, greatness is again within reach.''"

--------------------

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yeah, I agree this goes in the political section:

quote:
"He represents a new kind of leader, one without ties to a divisive past and one who portrays through his personal history a global perspective that is both crucial and unprecedented. His election, like no other, would instantly announce that America has turned a corner historically and will now be led by a distinct and fresh intellect."
^Interersting comment.

Even with the ties, someone who lets things go and then goes on the offensive/is progressive minded is equally as good potentially as someone without them (the ties). Just sayin, it's as if he's saying we need someone of non-American ancestry to be president.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

YouTube's Barach Obama videos:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BarackObamadotcom

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

Ophra Winfrey speaks following and introduced by Caroline Kennedy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZiNtTq10i0

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

The above link also has Stevie Wonder, Michelle Obama. It's a must see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZiNtTq10i0

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

-

[b]Caroline Kennedy, Ophra Winfrey, Michelle Obama, Maria Schriver.

-

Stevie, Ophra, Caroline, Michelle

-

Michelle Obama and Stevie Wonder

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

From New York Post; Deniro endorses Obama

-

"SAYS HE'S A GOODFELLA: Barack Obama is joined by Robert De Niro yesterday at the Meadowlands, where the actor announced his endorsement."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02052008/news/nationalnews/just_call_him_the_ba_rocket_499795.htm

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Feb. 14, 2008, CHICAGO —
There is no confusing Michelle Obama for her husband on the campaign trail, Jim Wilson/The New York Times

-

Michelle Obama said of her role, “I am trying to be as authentically me as I can be.”

Asked at the Democratic debate in Los Angeles whether he would pick Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton as a vice-presidential running mate, Senator Barack Obama said she “would be on anybody’s short list.”

But when a television interviewer asked Mrs. Obama last week whether she would support Mrs. Clinton, if she won the nomination, Mrs. Obama was less generous.

“I’d have to think about that,” Mrs. Obama said on “Good Morning America” on ABC. “I’d have to think about — policies, her approach, her tone.”

Outspoken, strong-willed, funny, gutsy and sometimes sarcastic, Michelle Obama is playing a pivotal role in her husband’s campaign as it builds on a series of successes, including a sweep on Tuesday of contests in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Her personal style — forthright, comfortable in the trenches, and often more blunt than Mr. Obama — plays well with a broad swath of the electorate and has given the campaign a steelier edge while allowing Mr. Obama to stay largely above it all.

“I am trying to be as authentically me as I can be,” Mrs. Obama said in an interview. “My statements are coming from my experiences and my observations and my frustrations.”

Mrs. Obama says she dislikes politics — she insists there will be no second run for the presidency if her husband falls short this time — but relishes a good fight, the competition of it all.

In the beginning, she had significant questions about an Obama candidacy. She pressed advisers for a blueprint of how the campaign would raise money and compete with Mrs. Clinton and other candidates. She gave her approval after seeing a concrete plan presented in strategy meetings in late 2006, all of which she attended.

Now she is involved in most major facets of campaign strategy, always a fierce protector of her husband’s image. While the Obamas seldom travel together — fanning out much as the Clintons do — Mrs. Obama is often in touch with key advisers and her message is shaped by the same strategists who advise her husband.

“The strategy is not to pigeonhole her to any one kind of audience,” said Valerie Jarrett, a close family friend who is a senior adviser to the Obama campaign.

Growing up in Chicago, her brother, Craig Robinson, recalls, Mrs. Obama did not like watching close basketball games, but would always watch blowouts to the end.

“She didn’t like the stress of watching,” said Mr. Robinson, the men’s basketball coach at Brown University. Thinking about the campaign for a moment, he added: “It’s much harder watching Barack in this race than watching my own team. It’s much harder to watch someone you love go through a close game.”

At almost six feet tall in heels, Mrs. Obama, 44, cuts an athletic and authoritative figure in her tailored pantsuits and skirts. A Harvard-educated lawyer who had been earning $212,000 a year as a hospital executive before she took leave on Jan. 1, she delivers rousing 40-minute speeches — surveying topics as far-ranging as the specific failings of the federal No Child Left Behind education act and problems with the military strategy in Iraq — without the aid of even a notecard.

A doting mother of two, Mrs. Obama has kept crowds waiting with telephone calls to her “little people” — daughters Sasha, 6, and Malia, 9.

But Mrs. Obama’s confident, commanding presence has its drawbacks. At an address last month for an African-American awards gala in Atlanta, some in attendance were left feeling that she had been condescending, preaching to a group of achievers about the need to achieve.

“Her speech was very long and inappropriate for that occasion,” said Vivian Creighton Bishop, a public official in Columbus, Ga., who supports Mrs. Clinton.

Mrs. Obama has also had to learn to tamp down her sometimes biting humor because it too often leaves Mr. Obama as the punch line. (It has been a long time since she has talked publicly about her husband of 15 years being smelly in the morning, as she told Glamour magazine, or forgetting to put away the butter.)

“What I’ve learned is that my humor doesn’t translate to print all the time,” she said in the interview. “But usually when I’m speaking to a group, people understand what I’m trying to say, they get the humor, they understand the sarcasm, they get the joke.”

Her audiences do laugh. Talking about how long it took her and Mr. Obama, 46, to pay off their student loans (they did so only in the last couple of years), she told a church audience in Cheraw, S.C., “I’m still waiting for Barack’s trust fund.” They cackled. She continued: “Then I heard Dick Cheney was supposed to be a relative! Thought we might be in for something here.”

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
(Page 2 of 3)

-
Mrs. Obama campaigned last month in Allendale, S.C.

On some occasions, Mrs. Obama’s straight talk has also made it necessary for the campaign to explain her remarks. In the case of “Good Morning America,” campaign officials pointed out that in an unbroadcast portion of the interview, Mrs. Obama later acknowledged that as a good Democrat, she would need to support Mrs. Clinton if she were the nominee.

-
The Obamas on Oct. 18, 1992. They met in 1989, when they were working at the same law firm in Chicago.

Mrs. Obama’s nickname inside the campaign is “the closer” because she is skilled at persuading undecided voters to sign pledge cards. But as a smooth orator, she is also known as a connector, volunteering her own life lessons from working-class roots and discussing her confrontation with a culture of low expectations.

She has been transparent about more mundane things, too, like leaning on her mother for child care while she is on the road.

Mrs. Obama does not have a nanny, only her mother. “Thank God for Grandma!” Mrs. Obama says more than once on the campaign trail, adding that she “couldn’t breathe” if she thought her girls, who attend private school here in Chicago, were being neglected for the campaign.

“I spend more time worrying about how do I keep their lives on track in the midst of this?” she said in the interview. “Barack and I both do. How do we keep our traditions whole? Those are the day-to-day concerns.”

In a presidential campaign that has included discussions of race and gender, Mrs. Obama has a singular vantage point at the intersection of the two. As the advantage in some states has seesawed between Mr. Obama, of Illinois, and Mrs. Clinton, of New York, based in part on the votes of blacks and women, Mrs. Obama typically makes a plea for unity, even when race- or gender-based appeals might be expedient and easy.

That was the case when they packed the pews to hear her one Friday night last month in a modest Methodist church in Orangeburg, S.C.

“Oh, amen!” the participants cried out over the rise and fall of her voice, springing to their feet, howling their approval with hands lifted as if in praise.

It was the eve of the Democratic primary in South Carolina, and Mrs. Obama was urging the audience to the polls. But they were urging her on, too: “Come on now, tell it, sister!”

And so she did, focusing on the economic hardships facing many Americans: “What we have to understand in this race is that this is true regardless of the color of your skin, regardless of your gender,” she said to the mostly black audience. “This is the truth of living in America.”

Interviews with people who know Mrs. Obama say she chose, even as a young adult, to strive for the opportunities that were closed to previous generations.

Mrs. Obama grew up knowing, for instance, that her maternal grandfather, a carpenter, was squeezed out of the best jobs in Chicago because as a black man he was not allowed to join a union. But she said she had also been taught not to see race as a barrier, to look at the world in terms of what is possible, not the other way around.

“My parents told us time and time again, ‘Don’t tell us what you can’t do,’ ” she said. “ ‘And don’t worry about what can go wrong.’ ”

She talks on the campaign trail about high school advisers who tried to dissuade her from applying to Princeton because they thought her scores were not good enough. (She graduated with honors in sociology in 1985.)

She talks about college counselors who said similar things about her desire to go to Harvard Law, from which she graduated and went on to one of the top corporate firms in Chicago.

“I realized that gnawing sense of self doubt that lies within all of us is within our own heads,” she said in Atlanta. “The truth is we are more ready and more prepared than we even know. My own life is proof of that.”

Mrs. Obama’s father, Fraser Robinson, provided for the family of four on a city worker’s salary. Her mother, Marian Robinson, now 70, stayed home and allowed their two children only one hour of television a night.

Mrs. Obama and her brother were expected to fill their time with books, chess, sports — and, critically important they both said, dinnertime conversations with their parents.

The defending of ideas, the back-and-forth, the debates, they were an early in-home version of what Mrs. Obama has come to do, almost full-time now, for her husband.

At Harvard Law School, one professor recalled that Mrs. Obama was not one to mince words.

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
(Page 3 of 3)

“Michelle was a student in my legal profession class in which I ask students how they would react to difficult ethical and professional challenges,” said the professor, David B. Wilkins. “Not surprisingly, many students shy away from putting themselves on the line in this way, preferring to hedge their bets or deploy technical arguments that seem to absolve them from the responsibilities of decision-making. Michelle had no need for such fig leaves. She always stated her position clearly and decisively.”

Mrs. Obama said her mother has been her No. 1 advocate and role model, even though their lives could not be more dissimilar.

“I remember Michelle telling me about a teacher complaining about her temper in elementary school,” said Verna L. Williams, a law professor in Cincinnati who has been a friend of Mrs. Obama since their days at Harvard. “She said her mom told the teacher: ‘Yeah, she’s got a temper. But we decided to keep her anyway!’ ”

Mrs. Obama is an organized and self-described “task master,” who has always been focused — so much so, that when she met Mr. Obama in 1989, when they were working at the same law firm in Chicago, she refused to go out on what Mr. Obama called “a proper date.”

“Eventually I wore her down,” he wrote in his memoir. During the summer when she met Mr. Obama, Mrs. Obama said she was influenced by his sense of purpose, and began to change her own career to add more service to others.

Martha L. Minow, a professor at Harvard Law School, did work with Mrs. Obama for a nonprofit educational group in Chicago. Dr. Minow’s father, Newton N. Minow, is senior counsel at Sidley Austin, the law firm where the Obamas met. Dr. Minow said she remembered hearing about the day Mr. Obama announced to her father that he would be leaving the firm to pursue public service.

“My dad was very supportive,” she said. “Then he said, ‘One more thing, I’m going to take Michelle with me.’ ”

And Mr. Obama did. Mrs. Obama left the firm, where she specialized in marketing and intellectual property, after two years and eventually founded the Chicago office of Public Allies, a national nonprofit leadership-training network for young adults.

After that, she gravitated toward the University of Chicago, whose campus is in her own South Side neighborhood. As a whole, the university has an often-tense relationship with the poorer surrounding area, and Mrs. Obama’s job, as vice president for community and external affairs at the university’s medical center, is to form partnerships between the two.

A recent project has focused on opening more neighborhood clinics to provide preventive care and take stress off the emergency room. Mrs. Obama earned a reputation as being equally tough on the hospital and the community in regard to their obligations to each other.

Now, she often describes her life to audiences in terms of beating the culture of low expectations that confronted “a little black girl” from the South Side.

“I wasn’t supposed to have my own successful career,” Mrs. Obama said in Atlanta. “They said my achievement must have been the result of racial preferences. And I am certainly not supposed to be standing here, maybe to become the next first lady of the United States.”

Asked about the role of first lady, Mrs. Obama said she saw it as a full-time job. But, she hastened to add, she reserved the right to change her mind if she gets there.

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

Nice report of Obama in Houston on day after Wisconsin win. Also, a short video clip of the event.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/5554729.html

--------------------

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still not sure about Obama.

But at this point, he's a million times better than the likely Republican candidate.

Ron Paul seems to have been swept to the side so the inflation scam will continue in America. It seems the FED is here to stay for much longer than some dreamed. This might be a good time to get into (very low interest rate only) debt as long as you can comfortably afford to pay it back with your regular income in the debt's lifetime ... no, really [Wink]

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

The following was sent to me:

In the 1st clip an anti-Obama reporter tries to get an interview from a young black man that he ASSUMES is ignorant. He assumes that he is only supporting Obama because he is a BLACK man and has no idea of what the issues really are. Boy was he wrong! In the 2nd clip the young man explains in depth his response to the reporter. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it out.

Clip #1

http://thinkonthesethings.wordpress.com/2008/02/06/video-interviewer-picks-the-wrong-obama-supporter-to-try-to-railroad/

Clip #2

http://thinkonthesethings.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/video-obama-supporter-derrick-responds-to-his-video/

--------------------

of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. Bravo! [Smile]
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

Obama Speech: 'A More Perfect Union'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe7wTVbLUU

--------------------

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

Analysis - Obama on race: A legacy stained

By Jennifer Lin

Inquirer Staff Writer
This wasn't politics, at least not politics as usual.

Instead, it was a personal, candid, searing look at race and racism, and a call from Sen. Barack Obama for the entire country to face a legacy "stained by this nation's original sin of slavery."

Many who listened to Obama's speech yesterday at the National Constitution Center wondered how he would finesse the remarks of his friend and minister, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr.

More than a few analysts thought he might take the easy way out by denouncing Wright and his words about endemic white racism in America and simply moving on.

But Obama did something unexpected in politics, according to academics, religious and civil rights leaders across Philadelphia: He spoke honestly about race.

He did not diminish the legitimate concerns of black Americans, or pretend there is not bigotry from all concerned, including his own grandmother.

Indeed, numerous members of the audience said they found his speech a stunning attempt to take the "race issue" away from sound bites into a deeper exploration of this country's unfinished business of creating a more perfect society.

Scholars and religious leaders - from the ivory towers of academe to black congregations in Philadelphia and white synagogues on the Main Line - called the speech one of the best by an African American orator.

Teenagers in the audience at the Constitution Center were just as mesmerized by Obama's message as were older civil rights activists.

"He represents what America is," said Katie Robinson, 16, a high school student from Minnesota who listened to the speech with a friend from Mount Airy.

Bobby McFerrin, the musician who lives in Mount Airy, heard the speech with his wife and daughter. He said, "He's trying to get us to look at the whole picture instead of just sound bites."

U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah (D., Phila.) called Obama's remarks "the most important speech on the question of race and the future of this country since Dr. King's 'I Have a Dream' speech."

Fattah said he thought the speech would resonate for years. "I think this speech 20, 30 or 40 years from now will be used to teach very important lessons about race and how to talk about this subject matter in a way that can bring people together rather than tear people apart," he said.

Rabbi George Stern, executive director of the Neighborhood Interfaith Movement, a coalition of 55 Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Unitarian congregations, said he thought the speech "undoubtedly will go down as one of the best" in political history.

"He provided a nuanced approach to a complicated issue," Stern said. "I think that he got it."

Though some criticize Obama for not disowning Wright, Stern said, "People need to stop and think: If he had completely repudiated Rev. Wright, no one would have believed him. They would have said he was pandering."

Obama spoke about how his personal history made him suited to steer a much-needed and much-avoided national dialogue on race. He repeated his now-familiar narrative:

How his father was a black man from Africa and his mother a white woman from Kansas.

How his wife is an African American "who carries within her the blood of slaves and slave owners."

And how his extended family represents "every race and every hue."

Obama said his unconventional background had "seared into my genetic makeup the idea that this nation is more than the sum of its parts - that out of many, we are truly one."

Of Wright, Obama said he expressed "a profoundly distorted view of this country." Recently, for example, Wright said Obama's opponent for the Democratic nomination, Hillary Rodham Clinton, could never understand racism because American is "a country and a culture controlled by rich white people."

Obama described Wright as a product of his generation, a black man who had to confront institutionalized segregation in the 1950s and '60s.

And he said he could no more disown Wright than he could his white grandmother - "a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

For many, that revelation was particularly poignant.

Camille Z. Charles, faculty associate director at the Center for African Studies at the University of Pennsylvania, said Obama was able to draw on his own life to make his points.

"I thought he drew on his experience really well and in a way that showed him to be truly American," Charles said. "He has heard it from both sides of his own family."

"He is, in a sense, becoming for his audience the quintessential American," added Molefi Kete Asante, a professor in Temple University's Department of African American Studies.

"Most people felt, and I felt, he would not take this issue on frontally, and he did. It was a remarkable demonstration of courage," Asante said.

Not everyone agreed. Some expected Obama to place more distance between himself and Wright, who has said in sermons now being watched endlessly on YouTube that the 9/11 terrorist attacks were partly the result of America's support for "state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans."

Rabbi Neil Cooper of Temple Beth Hillel-Beth El in Wynnewood said in an e-mail: "I can agree with Sen. Obama that to suggest that Rev. Wright is simply a racist would be an oversimplification. But to deny that Rev. Wright's racist remarks are acceptable in any context is to complicate an issue which is fairly simple.

"If the America which Sen. Obama envisions is one in which we are compelled to embrace and remain affiliated with racists," Cooper said, "that is not a vision which I can share."

Many in the audience yesterday were struck that Obama did not gloss over the anger that festers among blacks and whites.

Allison Dorsey, an associate professor of history at Swarthmore College, said she was heartened that Obama said it was possible to face the question of race while dealing with all of the nation's other pressing needs, including mounting deficits, crumbling schools and international terrorism.

"I am just overwhelmed by so much we still have to do around race," Dorsey said. "And to have this calm, amazingly brave, eloquent call, and say we can talk about things racial and do the other heavy lifting . . . I thought was just very powerful."

The Rev. Ted Loder, a retired pastor at the First United Methodist Church of Germantown who marched with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1960s, said he read a transcript of the speech "with tears in my eyes."

He called Obama "eloquent, honest and courageous" for framing racism as part of our legacy as Americans.

"His words did not seem calculating," Loder said. "He was not pandering. What he gave was a statement that called us to be accountable for each other and move forward to build a civil society. That kind of vision and scope is what we need in this country."

Nina Ahmad and Ahsan Nasratullah, immigrants from Bangladesh, took their daughter Joya to hear the speech.

"He's set the narrative," said Ahmad, a molecular geneticist. "He's saying, 'Let's talk about things that matter to us.' It's not just him speaking. He's making all of us think and reflect."

Joya, 15, a ninth-grade student at William Penn Charter School, said that instead of making race "a divisive issue, he made it decisive."

"I love how he ended it by saying, 'This is where the perfection of our legacy begins.' "

Rabbi Michael Bernstein of Beth Am Israel in Penn Valley, who was in the audience, said, "He succeeded in changing the conversation from who did what to how can we have a real conversation about issues that persist."

Obama, he said, is saying it is time "to have an impact on the unfinished business of what America can be."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20080319_Obama_on_race__A_legacy_stained.html

--------------------

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx for posting this Marc. [Smile] Obama is probably the most inspirational American politician in decades.

His latest mega speech, "A More Perfect Union" is probably the best speech I've ever heard live.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to like this Obama guy.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horus:

http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php

Meet the people who know him and he misused them like Rev. Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright to gain influence

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:

Michelle Obama on the Colbert Report

--------------------

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:
Horus:

Meet the people who know him and he misused them like Rev. Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright to gain influence

Good article.
Glad to see The Black Agenda Report is staying real and laying it out as it really is.
Realize, Obama never attended the Millions Man March or any other Pro-black event such as any of the marching events to make Dr. King's holiday, yet he quotes King at every OPPORTUNITY. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind the bro is knowingly half white. He was cared for by his white grandparents and they did a good job. It is UNFAIR for black people to ask him to take sides. Although socially he is black.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen to his wife - the sister keeps it real. That says a lot to me. She is emotional on the issues.

But he cannot be. He cannot have the same emotions as her. 1. He never really experienced the level of discrimination as most of us. 2. He aligned himself with Euro-American during his formative years. 3. The black-side of him has no historical roots in the US. 4. mY uderstanding is his father abandon the family.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is correct and the reason why he has made not one promise to blacks, yet made many to whites and Jews.
If elected, blacks cannot expect anything other then symbolic content, because they NEVER asked for anything. They give their blind support on trust and hope alone.
Rather then waste time and resources in this manner, why not consolidate and do something meaningful like, save Merowe, or form something remotely resembling a universal black plan?

BTW, he has ALREADY chosen sides, even before he announced his intentions to run. As I said, he has NEVER supported, nor acknowledged any US mainstream black event. Neither has his wife. This is no difference then Clarence Thomas or Condolezza Rice.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
You are kidding right. . . .about his wife.

--------------------

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Well, there began with a Millions Man March, followed by a Millions Woman March, Followed by a Millions Family March, as well as The Millions More March.
Check, and perhaps I am incorrect and there actually was an Obama attending at least one of these.

http://www.millionmanmarch.org/index_noflash.html
http://www.millionfamilymarch.com/
http://march.now.org/

I'm sure they were not at either.
Nor were they at any of the numerous marches to make Dr. King's birthday a hoilday, led by Stevie Wonder in New York (50-90,000. It was 20 below 0 that day in Buffalo [Cool] ) and Congressman John Conyers, Jr.in D.C.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-01-17-mlk-day_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA
http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?topic_id=1412&fuseaction=topics.event_summary&event_id=274707

Reading this Jewish ADL coverage of the MMM event easily explains why Obama would distance himself from large crowds of black people.

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/ASUS_12/4809_12.htm

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:
quote:
[qb] Horus:

Obama never attended the Millions Man March
Get out of here! Obama isn't even that old. He's only 46, what was he, like 6? Crabs will do anything to pull down their own.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
LOL, exactly when do you "think" the Millions Man March took place? ( pst...1995 dummy! )

Kanye West attended one, and how old do you think he is?
The links are there to keep you from saying something else as foolish as your original post.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Sorry bro. but the MMM was around 1995. Obama was about 35yrs. Most of the male in my family went. . . . except I. Didn't see the value then and don't see it now. Starting up business, going to school etc is the path forward.

quote:
Originally posted by Sundiata:
quote:
quote:
[qb] Horus:

Obama never attended the Millions Man March
Get out of here! Obama isn't even that old. He's only 46, what was he, like 6? Crabs will do anything to pull down their own.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
That's your choice, but what makes you believe the event was not about those things? The NOI organized the event. And although he was present, Not Earl Graves and Black Enterprise.
The NOI are all about education and black enterprise.

EVERY black leader attended at least one of these events from Bill Cosby to the Congressional Black Caucus. Even Collin Powell.
However, since the ADL was totally against the event, I can understand why Obama would distance himself.

What I don't understand is why Obama didn't attend any of the marches or congressional activities to make Dr. King's birthday a holiday. Especially since he uses a LOT of Kingisms in his speeches.

Lastly, there is the matter of George Bush's first term Anti-Affirmative action push that prompted just about EVERY black leader, including Condolezza Rice and Collin Powell to publically step up. Obama (neither one) were anywhere to be found during this period. They were AWOL along with Clarence Thomas and Alan Keyes.

All put together, I smell a Trojan Horse. An ADL Trojan Horse at that.

Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys just don't get it.

By way of birth and upbringing, Barack has never been of the Middle Passage.

His father was Kenyan (Black); and his mother was American (White).

Barack, therefore, is a quintessential African-American!

Barack's immediate connection to 'Black America' of the Middle Passage is by way of his wife and their offspring. Culturally, Barack is not an African-American of the Middle Passage. Plain speaking, he is not of West African origin.

In the final analysis, what did you expect from the child of a conservative Luo, Kenyan and African politician/technocrat?

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
This is a non-excuse.

Collin Powell is from the carribean, so does that mean he shouldn't be concerned about the state of blacks in America?
Harry Bellafonte is from the islands also, yet he receives many death threats from his outspokeness on black issues.
Farrakhan is from the island, and on, and on...

Their are many people in America not of the middle passage. Go to Brooklyn New York and examine who KRS and other rappers are and where their parents are actually from and you'll see what I mean.

Visit D.C. and count the many Africans you will encounter. many attended the Million Man March.

Anyway, my points about Obama have nothing to do with where he's from, but why blacks choose to support any politician, black, white or brown, who promises them nothing while ignoring a white politician who are willing to make valuable concessions.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
wooooh! go easy!

--------------------

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
I could very well reply, go harder! and rightly so.
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Woooh to Jo.

-------------------------
In the final analysis, what did you expect from the child of a conservative Luo, Kenyan and African politician/technocrat?

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anyway, my points about Obama have nothing to do with where he's from, but why blacks choose to support any politician, black, white or brown, who promises them nothing while ignoring a white politician who are willing to make valuable concessions.

Spot on!

This is what irks me about all the Obama D* riders.

I mean, it's not like I'm sure about Ron Paul, but EVERYTHING that guy was saying was more beneficial to the blacks in America than what Obama is spewing ... but still the blacks are quick to be down with Obama (which unfortunately, publicly exploits the resentments blacks feel towards whites for 500+ years of abuse).

It appears the oppressors of blacks in America have mastered their victims.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
A true dat!

Paul's plan to dismantle the Federal Reserve, reform the banking systems would have presented the best opportunity for blacks since the end of slavery.

I seriously doubt that Paul is interested in assisting blacks but his plans would have definitely presented opportunities we won't see with the other candidates.

Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not made excuses on anybody's behalf.

I repeat - Barack is not a descendant of the Middle Passage (the West Afican Slave Trade). Neither is his bi-racial, cultural background and upbringing reflective of the African descendants of the Middle Passage in the Americas and the Caribbean.

To understand Barack's social and political ideologies, you have to know his heritage. Barack as a poitician cannot be divorced from the biological, physical, cultural and social environment he was born and raised in!

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:

Paul's plan to dismantle the Federal Reserve, reform the banking systems would have presented the best opportunity for blacks since the end of slavery.

I seriously doubt that Paul is interested in assisting blacks but his plans would have definitely presented opportunities we won't see with the other candidates.

YES YES YES!

These were my EXACT thoughts when I first encountered Ron Paul.

RIGHT ABOUT NOW, the playing field is SOOOO not fair towards black folks and I felt that Ron Paul's strategy would create that level playing field. Intelligent, Industrious black folks in America could CAPITALISE on that and save their FAMILIES (i.e. black people) as a consequence.

But I guess people are too afraid to do things for themselves. They prefer to be in the situation that MOST white people are in which is to allow themseleves to be RAPED by corporations, banks, and their governmental reps (who don't really care about race) ... but be "protected" by these corporations by being provided with "jobs" and "security" and all these demented ass-backwards societal structures.

If Obama did "save" black people, he would make "us" as good as white people in terms of governmental support - but that isn't freedom! don't be fooled, white people are NOT free!!!

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
What we have are a sub-division of blacks working towards separate goals.
Obamaniacs are working towards integration. They are happy with just seeing a dark skinned person in the office of president, even though that person is devoted to serving white interests, I.E. Thomas, Rice.
They yield a "belief" they can change the system from the inside.

Having lived in a city that has had multiple black mayors, I realize how false this belief is.

The proof of our progress lies in the global statistics. In every measurable statistic, blacks (around the globe) are shown to be losing ground in major increments in all major categories.
This cannot be refuted or denied.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^YES.

Additionally: The MAJOR problem is that the resources that would have gone towards "taking care" of black folks in their own countries are under the direct or indirect control of predatory states such as the US and the UK.

Now, if Ron Paul came in, THAT WHOLE MODEL CHANGES. This is like lifting America's foot off the neck of African (and Asian) nations. Also, there's a possibility for Afro-American INDUSTRIAL groups to PRINT their own money if Ron Paul came in - now that's true (potential) POWER!

Of course, we must remember that a Ron Paul model could actually turn out WORSE for black folks if we don't "switch the bright lights" on in our minds, if that Ron Paul opportunity were to arise.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com