EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: African Politics - The Exploitation of Africa (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: African Politics - The Exploitation of Africa
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently taking an African Politics class, and to say that it's enlightning is an understatement. My Professor is an immigrant from Nigeria and yesterday we finally got around to finally talking about Multi-National Corporations and their effect in Africa. Last week he talked about how African countries need more nationalist-minded leaders. Not leaders that are simply born in the country and grow up somewhere like London and never learn anything about their homeland or people and think they can come back after decades and understand the place.

He told us this story about some Multi-national gold corporation in Nigeria (and likely elsewhere too) who basically OWNS all of the gold in the country. I asked him if the government saw any profit from that and he said they did based on how much gold is made on a particular basis. But he said the problem is no one knows exactly how much gold is being made because once you reach a certain level...everyone is white. He said there are NO Nigerians working past a certain level where the gold is weighed and measured IN Nigeria!!! So they really have no way of knowing how much is coming out, but the government still gets a fixed amount from the gold company. I then asked him about the multi-national corporations being the biggest roadblock for development in Africa and he basically agreed, but said nationalization isn't even SPOKE of in Africa...he talked as if they're raised not to even think of it.

He then told me a story about when he was writing his dissertation paper on a dam that was being built in an African country I forgot the name of. He said there was a Lake that could provide electricity to EVERYONE in the country and some outside of the country as well (I want to say this was Nigeria too...or Ghana). The African country was going to nationalize, but a big contraversy arose and my teacher eventually wrote his dissertation on it. He said when he turned his paper in, he never got it back and wasn't allowed to graduate for about 6 months. He later found out that he had been labeled a Communist by the University because of the paper he wrote.

It's a VERY informative class! But it's not things a lot of you don't already know so I'm sort of preaching to the choir. But Multi-national corporations have a stranglehold on development in Africa. It's all about the Dependency Theory. Africa is free technically, but they're NOT free because they're not allowed to control what they own. Western nations seek to continue to keep Africa dependent on THEM for resources and goods. I mean think about it, Africa has just about every important natural resource in the world. Gold, diamonds, gas, oil, silver, etc. Can you IMAGINE the realignment of the world scene if Africa were allowed to control their OWN resources and sell it around the world? Western nations wouldn't be the top dog anymore. Think about it, most Western nations like America, Britain, France, etc...get their resources from foreign countries because they don't have it themselves. But as long as they still CONTROL those resources from outside nations...they're able to make the most out of it and determine prices. If you tip the scale even a LITTLE to balance it off more, the complete hegemony of the West becomes obsolete. THAT'S why African nations aren't allowed to nationalize...because of pure control and power.

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since you're so concerned and like many AAs think you have all of the answers to Africa. Why don't you implement a solution to all of Africa's "supposed" ills that you "perceive" it has?

Afterall AAs can really show Africans how its done and how to progress. They certainly have their own house in order. Don't you agree "King"?

By the way "King" what businesses do you own?

And if you are still in college do you plan on owning one if/after you graduate?

If not why? And how can you justify finger wagging at Africa if your goal is to make "Powder" rich?

And "if" you are planning on starting a business what do you plan on doing to help Africa? If you don't plan on helping Africa, what is the point of finger wagging at it? Self-esteem?

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:
Well since you're so concerned and like many AAs think you have all of the answers to Africa. Why don't you implement a solution to all of Africa's "supposed" ills that you "perceive" it has?

Afterall AAs can really show Africans how its done and how to progress. They certainly have their own house in order. Don't you agree "King"?

And if you are still in college do you plan on owning one if/after you graduate?

If not why? And how can you justify finger wagging at Africa if your goal is to make "Powder" rich?

And "if" you are planning on starting a business what do you plan on doing to help Africa? If you don't plan on helping Africa, what is the point of finger wagging at it? Self-esteem?

I wish I had to ability to fight Multi-natinal corporations, but sadly I don't. My job is to bring enlightenment.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King_Scorpion wrote:

quote:
I wish I had to ability to fight Multi-natinal corporations, but sadly I don't. My job is to bring enlightenment.
In other words you are only able to "WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEE"

You may now dust off your resume to beg "Powder" for a job.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
King_Scorpion wrote:

quote:
In other words you are only able to "WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEE"

You may now dust off your resume to beg "Powder" for a job.

WTF. Get out of here troll. [Roll Eyes]
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
I guess that means you're not going to be opening up your own business and helping out Africa.

What a shame.

I hope "Powder" gives you a job that lets you have an hour for lunch instead of 30 minutes.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Scorpion is correct. Racist industrial nationalist white supremacists are only doing what they believe is best to maintain themselves and their interests. They are against the black seed and black madonna and will do everything to destroy the black man, the black family and black national identity. The whole irony here is that white supremacy is based on knowledge, traditions and customs that originated IN AFRICA among black people.

The first place to identify with the black madonna or black mother of the earth was Africa and evidence for such is found in Egypt. In Egyptian cosmology, the Nile was the connection to the mound of creation, through the life giving black soil, which was the mud or clay from which god made mankind. This symbolic connection was reinforced through the national identity of the nation itself, which reflected the people and their connection to Africa. After times of crisis or periods of foreign control, the new dynasties always portrayed the new queens and kings in black, representing the replenishment and restoration of the nation, the people and the culture from the South. The concept of the black madonna comes from the various trinities that developed around the sacred mound of creation, which was always a central feature in most temples, within the holy of holies. During sacred processions and festivals, these symbols of man, woman and child and hope for eternal life through the seed or risen "son" (sun), were paraded throughout the surrounding area.

Within this trinity, the male represented Geb, Min or Osiris, who are symbolic of the seed of the earth the ithyphallic representation of male reproduction and semen. The woman is symbolic of mother nature, nurturing and child birth, often symbolized by a golden yellow color representing nature itself and the sky. This symbolism is seen in Nut who takes the seed from Geb the earth and gives birth to new life through pollination, by spreading the seed through the winds of the earth and bringing forth new flowers. These flowers represent the risen birth and new life that is victorious over death and darkness, hence this is Heru, the hero, the one who conquers the darkness and avenges the death of father earth, at the hands of desertification and the season of dryness. Therefore, the king and queen became symbolic of the renewal of the black nation, the health of the people and their wealth and prosperity as tied to the management of the seed(agriculture) and the distribution of food, water and manufactured products (industry). All of these festivals involved carrying palms, various types of flowers, trees and bushes all symbolic of the risen earth, the royal family and the life of the country, symbolized by the gods. Examples of such trinities are Ausar, Auset and Heru; Mut, Amun, Khonsu;Satis, Khnum, Anuket; and Sopdet, Sah and Soped.

quote:

The Festival of the Fertility god Min

This festival also opened a new season and was carried out in the ninth civil month, although its date was set according to the moon. It is perhaps not surprising that this fertility ritual is also known from Egypt's most distant past, though most of what we know of the festival is from sources that date from the New Kingdom onward.

In this celebration, the king cut the first sheaf of grain, which symbolically supported his role as life-sustainer of his people. It should be noted that this festival, associated with Min, was clearly one of fecundity and the virility of rebirth, and therefore the third festival of the year focusing on birth, with the agricultural aspect predominating.

Beautiful Feast of the Valley

Another annual event for Egyptians to look forward to was again centered in Thebes, allowed the living to commune with their loved ones in the afterworld. It was held in the tenth civil month. Though the celebration can be traced back to the Middle Kingdom, it became important during the New Kingdom.

The festivities began at Karnak temple on the east bank where the sacred image of the god Amun was placed atop a ceremonial boat and carried down to the Nile by the priests, very similarly to how it occurred in the Opet Festival. Eventually, the image of the god Amun was accompanied by the images of his wife Mut and their child, Khonsu.

At the riverside, the shrines were loaded onto barges and towed across the Nile to the west to visit the pharaoh’s mortuary temple and the temples of other gods. This journey was attended by a very joyous and colorful procession of Egypt’s citizens. Acrobats and musicians entertained the masses of people who participated, while women played sistrums—a kind of rattle instrument that made a soft jangling sound like the breeze blowing through papyrus reeds. This sound was said to soothe the gods and goddesses.

The procession ended at the necropolis that was filled with tomb chapels where the ancient people honored their dead relatives by performing various rituals for them. Every family wealthy enough to afford a chapel entered the sanctuary and made offerings of food and drink for their dead. (Archaeologists have uncovered many offering tables and bowls that you can see in any major museum collection.) The celebrants themselves ate heartily and drank a lot of wine until they entered what was believed to be an altered state (including intoxication) that made them feel closer to their departed loved ones.

Though certainly different in many ways, these private affairs parallel some present customs of modern Egypt and other cultures in which people celebrate a holiday on the grass of cemeteries in which their dead ancestors are buried.

-

-

From: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/festival.htm

A good example of all of this can be seen in the early kings of the 11th and 18th dynasty. Mentuhotep 1st surrounded himself by women from the south, whom many European scholars have identified as being negresses and painted black. Some of them may have indeed come from the region of modern day Ethiopia. He initiated the construction of a mortuary complex in Dier el-Bahri and built many temples at Aswan. The connection between the two sites is symbolic. His mortuary complex was either topped with a mound of earth and trees or a pyramid, both of which represent the mound of creation. His temples at Aswan were a celebration of the primordial mound of the black earth, which is the symbolic connection of Egypt to inner Africa, through the Nile and the black soil and black man of the soil.
And he surrounded himself with black women who were priestesses of hathor symbolizing the mother of the new king and the suckling of the child and the black mother of the earth, the black Madonna. It is clear here that the black woman and the black seed of the earth represent the (re)birth of the nation in Egyptian cosmology. (make note of this for later)

Mentuhotep representing the risen seed of the earth suckling on Hathor(mother nature):
 -
From: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2222972630&size=l

Black queeens, princesses and consorts from the time of Mentuhotep:

quote:

Henhenit: She was the wife of Mentuhotpe II and was buried in a vast mortuary complex of the King at Deir El-Bahri.
Neferu: She was the Chief wife of Mentuhotpe II.
Kawit: She was a royal companion of Mentuhotpe II. Her royal tomb contains beautiful and elaborate scenes of her toilet rituals! Her sarcophagus describes her as the "Sole Favorite of the King".
Tem: She was a wife of Mentuhotpe II and believed to be the mother of Mentuhotpe III. Her tomb is one of the largest female grave sites ever found.The sarcophagus in her burial chamber was made of alabaster and sandstone.
Sadek:She was a lesser wife of Mentuhotpe II.
Ashait: She was a wife of Mentuhotpe II. She was buried with the King in his eleborate mortuary complex at Deir El-Bahri. Her tomb reliefs identify her as an Ethiopian. On her coffin, there was a beautiful hymn inscribed about the four winds which were brought to Egypt by mythical maidens.
Nubkhas: She was a consort of Mentuhotpe II. Her tomb was discovered at Deir El-Bahri enclosed by boulders and rubble, probably the result of a landslide in ancient times.
Kemsit: She was a royal companion of Mentuhotpe II. She was buried in the Kings' mortuary complex and was described on her sarcophagus as 'Sole Favorite of the King" she shared this title with many other consorts that were buried there.
Neferukayt: She was a wife of Mentuhotpe II and the daughter of Princess Nebt who was the heiress of the Elephantine (an island in the Aswan). She was a highly educated woman and kept and extensive library of papyri and artworks in a huge museum.Imi:In some records, she is called Yem. She was a wife of Mentuhotpe III and the mother of his son, Mentuhotpe IV.
Amunet: In some records she is also called Amuniet. She was a consort of Mentuhotpe II, and was buried in his royal mortuary complex at Deir El-Bahri.

From: http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/amethystbt/Egyptqueenslist.html

Now all of this symbolism of the black madonna became Isis, which was carried into Europe by the Romans. This became the foundation of the Christian church. In Europe, the contact with Africa and older cultures of the Mediterranean meant that many of the older traditions of Isis and the trinities of the Nile are preserved in European traditions. Many of these are found in Spain, France and Italy. Spain is notable because Spain's traditions are based heavily on the historic interaction with cultures from Africa and the East.

quote:

Although Negro freedmen and slaves lived on the fringe of Sevillian life socially and economically, they enjoyed full membership in the church. True religious conversion among newly baptized Negroes was unusual, but by the second generation many had become sincere and pious Christians. The very willingness of Negroes to become Christians and to remain faithful to their new religion facilitated their popular acceptance. In addition, their incorporation into the social and ritual activities of the church accelerated the process of their Hispanization. Through their parish churches and their confraternities slaves and freedmen took part in all the city-wide religious celebrations of the period. The Negro and mulatto brotherhoods marched in full regalia in the many religious processions, including those of Holy Week. On one such occasion, the dress and the insignias of the Negro brotherhood were [189] so elaborate and costly as to draw censure from the clergy. In another instance, according to the chronicler Ortiz de Zúñiga, a member of the Negro confraternity sold himself as a slave in order to cover the high cost of his group's participation in a religious festival. Negro performers also took part in the autos connected with the festival of Corpus Christi. In 1590 the city government paid eight ducats to Leonor Rija, a mulatto, to appear on a float in the Corpus Christi celebration and to sing, dance, and play the guitar, together with four other mulatto women and two men.

From: http://libro.uca.edu/aristocrats/aristocrats4-2.htm

Holy Week Procession in Spain (note the Moorish garb):

-

-

Such traditions are a continuation of the traditions concerning the national identity of the people through the religious symbols of the land and the institution of kingship. This connection was not lost on the upper classes and was a reason why such festivals and processions were important to solidifying and maintaining the control of the monarchy and political system over the people. Again, this reflects the idea of the seed and life as being the basis of the national identity of the country. But again, the much of the eastern origin of this tradition was not lost on the members of the higher echelons of the guilds and confraternities created among the various rulers and elite in European society. But of course they had to twist the origins and cover it up in order to reinforce their rule. In fact they had to destroy that which they feared most.

And thus it comes full circle. The symbolism and garb of these European societies gave rise to the secret Masonic orders and guilds that became dominant in Europe and America. Part of the traditions of these groups is the racism that stems from the desire to REVERSE the historical truth of the black man and woman and the impact of blacks on world history. In fact, these societies endeavored to create a world wide system that would reinforce and mold a new identity based on white supremacy and the destruction of the seed of the earth, the black man and woman, the black family and erase the hopes for the re birth of the black nation. This laid the foundation for the [b]birth of the nation[/w] based on white supremacy, which is always centered around the fear of the black mans seed from taking root and growing the black nation, which is inherently a threat to white supremacy and an identity based on white nationalism. This is the seminal moment for the reinforcing the goals of white nationalism in America, which aimed to turn back the rise of blacks after the civil war, by creating a social system of white supremacy to keep blacks from building a nation for themselves. It is also symbolic as birth of a nation is an inherent reference to the ancient symbolism of the black madonna and the birth of the black seed and black nation Kmt. The garb and symbolism reflects this ancient legacy, which came from blacks, but not ironically, was being used to destroy blacks. This of course became the basis of the identification of the black male sex organ as a symbol of the biggest threat to the white nation.
Hence, America and Europe became the arch enemy of black National consciousness all over the world, as they sought to mold the national, cultural and economic identity of civilization world wide into one that reinforced the right to rule of whites over all others, while seeking out and destroying the black seed of the earth, the original black man, wherever he was found on the planet.

The absurdity and silliness of all of this is that the greatest symbols of white supremacy COME FROM BLACK FOLKS and are an INHERENT reflection of the wisdom of ancient black Africans. Note the cross in a circle on the Klansman's robe is another ancient symbol from KMT, which symbolized the black Nation. Yet here you have it as a symbol of white supremacy. This and many other symbols, including the dress, are taken directly from blacks.

-

Egyptian symbol for village or town with crossroads and the nation:

-

Posts: 8896 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
LOL!!!

Who here didn't know what was coming? If someone didn't then that person is a true retard.

I'll bet that post has a 5% readership.

haaahahaaahahahaahaaha

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I guess because it is true you cannot really say anything constructive.

That is also expected. But what else should you expect from people whose self identity, national conscious and self worth are based on lies, deception and destruction?

Of course, you represent those who feel that white domination of African resources represents PROGRESS for Africans. Just like white domination of Native American lands represented PROGRESS for Native Americans. Just like white domination of the political and economic system in Iraq or Afghanistan represents PROGRESS for their respective people. Of course it doesn't. How can a country, nation and society built on genocide, death and destruction for ANY non-white people who challenge the goals and aims of racist global industrial economic white supremacy EVER claim to represent PEACE and FREEDOM? Only Europe has produced people like Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini; who only were following in the footsteps of Washington, Churchill, Roosevelt, McKinley, Bismark and other so-called GREAT European leaders in their racist and fascist policies. But that is just a small thing called TRUTH that we should ignore right?

European powers have produced NOTHING but death and destruction for themselves and EVERYONE ELSE for the last 500 years, with the last 100 years being the MOST DESTRUCTIVE PERIOD for mankind EVER. And WHERE did this destruction originate? So HOW does a culture and society based around "isms", like Fascism, Rasicm and Nazism EVER expect to pass itself off as being GOOD for the earth and her children? LIES, DECEPTION and PROPAGANDA. THAT is why Birth of a nation is the FIRST FILM ever produced in the U.S. and REPRESENTS the RACIST underpinnings of AMERICAN foreign and domestic policy from the VERY BEGINNING. You can't LIE about that as the PROOF is everywhere. Similar things can ALSO be said about Europe.

But of course they want you to think they are SAVIORS of the planet. How can this be when they have been DESTROYING the planet and causing MORE AND MORE suffering for the last 200 years?

Riddle me that batman.

But that is too obvious.

Posts: 8896 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Are you saying something?

bwahahahahaaahahahaaaah, DougM I'm not one of the 5%. LOOOOOL

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
And of course before anyone tries to deny it, Albert Pike, grand Mason, was a racist:

Lectures of the Arya by Alber Pike
http://books.google.com/books?id=yn8MXyF7J4UC&pg=PP1&dq=inauthor:Albert+inauthor:Pike&sig=fSAm9S0tOsyfNjD6zOyn7S_SJvo#PPA5,M1

Funny thing is how they uphold the double headed eagle as a symbol, which is attributed to the BLACK MAN saint Maurice in Germany....

http://books.google.com/books?id=gEvrhjdKq9wC&pg=PP1&dq=inauthor:Albert+inauthor:Pike&sig=Htrt8IAPSZxC1j00Tt2N1q4SgNA

Books by Mr. Pike:

http://books.google.com/books?as_auth=Albert+Pike&ots=VsDCZTjHEo&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=author-navigational&hl=en

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Are you saying something?

bwahahahahaaahahahaaaah, DougM I'm not one of the 5%. LOOOOOL

Are YOU saying something? It seems you don't even know how to compose proper words or sentences. But I guess this is because you have no concept of language and really nothing to say, as opposed to sputtering like a child.

Glad you like the milk I gave ye.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:

Actually, what Scorpion posted was not a concern but a reality. Whites have ONLY been interested in TAKING RESOURCES from Africa since the DAY they got there and are NOT interested in the well being and economic development of Africans. THAT is the epitome of racist nationalist white supremacy as advocated by people like Cecil Rhoades and maintained by institutions like the world bank. In this world view the ONLY NATION that is supposed to benefit from the bounty of the earth and its national resources are WHITE OWNED COMPANIES, not Africans and not anyone else. Of course going AGAINST this means GOING AGAINST NEO colonialism, which is a system of puppet African rulers who are under the THUMB of white corporate industrialists and the white supremacists.

Again, in order for the black nation to rise it must do away with the system of white economic supremacy in Africa and restore the black nation based on the proper principles of economic management and the well being of the people.
That is the purpose of economics, which is not to make white folks rich while you starve.
But of course, as symbolized by the pyramid on the back of a dollar, trying to get the white man's paper money becomes symbolic of "progress" and righteousness, with that paper money becoming the foundation of the white racist international banking system and your faith in that paper being the ultimate test of the power of racist white economic power. Persuing the white man's paper only makes you a slave of the white racist global economic system and has nothing to do with progress and has nothing to do with achieving enlightenment or approaching a state of god consciousness. But what do you expect from retards who never did anything good or righteous and never built a pyramid but to sweat and hang onto the prestige and wisdom of other people they wish to dominate and destroy.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHY EXACTLY THE PHAROAHS WERE ALWAYS DEPICTED WITH THAT SNAKE PROTRUDING FROM THEIR FOREHEAD...

WHY WHY WHY WHY HOW HOW HOW HOW...

-

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
[QUOTE]

Again, in order for the black nation to rise it must do away with the system of white economic supremacy in Africa and restore the black nation based on the proper principles of economic management and the well being of the people.
That is the purpose of economics, which is not to make white folks rich while you starve.
But of course, as symbolized by the pyramid on the back of a dollar, trying to get the white man's paper money becomes symbolic of "progress" and righteousness, with that paper money becoming the foundation of the white racist international banking system and your faith in that paper being the ultimate test of the power of racist white economic power. Persuing the white man's paper only makes you a slave of the white racist global economic system and has nothing to do with progress and has nothing to do with achieving enlightenment or approaching a state of god consciousness. But what do you expect from retards who never did anything good or righteous and never built a pyramid but to sweat and hang onto the prestige and wisdom of other people they wish to dominate and destroy.

This is why Ron Paul is a "good thing" for the U.S. (and consequently Africa). He really seems like a FUNDAMENTALLY GOOD MAN. Being someone who reluctantly (because I really don't enjoy discriminating) keeps a watchful eye on white folks behaviour, I have watched him a lot (even going back to '88). I like this guy a lot.

If he ever turned out to be a fake ... I really wouldn't know how the victims of ... have a chance of liberation any time soon.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
The point is that the answer to the problems is with in the nation itself, not without. Africa's problems can only be solved by Africans, including starting with the wisdom of their ancestors, including the Egyptians and other folks. The point I was making about Europe is that they have always pretended to be the world's saviors but they are not and they know it. The only thing they want to do is control the world and stay on top by any means necessary and this has nothing to do with any real progress or independence from the "new world order" for anyone else. That is the point. The system itself is designed to protect its own interests, no matter who is selling it. It is the same snake oil they have been selling you. The enemy is known by what he does, not what he says out of his mouth. If all it takes is words then the world would have been a perfect place and paradise thousands of years ago. The point is that no TRUE nation that is SOVEREIGN and independent looks for others to solve their problems, especially those who have been trying to destroy them and co-opt their independence since they came along. Egyptian symbolism and cosmology is a potent form of nationalism backed up by history and a solid understanding of human nature. It is so potent that it has been a roadmap by those who would destroy Africa and Africans. The old saying "Man Know Thyself" is especially appropriate to this situation.

If the goal is to have Africans in control of their own, then the answer is clear: kick the institutions of white supremacy out of the country.

If the goal is to wait for white folks to be nice and kick you some crumbs, then do nothing and wait and see what happens.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kingship stemmeth from holy "Gebel Barkal" by Amun. (click the pic and go there)
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Young H*O*R*U*S:
I NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHY EXACTLY THE PHAROAHS WERE ALWAYS DEPICTED WITH THAT SNAKE PROTRUDING FROM THEIR FOREHEAD...

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is gargoyle104 still here? As usual he contributes nothing to this forum. Maybe he should go back to what he does best and lurk in Somali forums or something.

Egyptsearch is NOT a mental asylum.

Posts: 26260 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a statement or a question?

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Egyptsearch is NOT a mental asylum.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL^

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]

This is why Ron Paul is a "good thing" for the U.S. (and consequently Africa). He really seems like a FUNDAMENTALLY GOOD MAN. Being someone who reluctantly (because I really don't enjoy discriminating) keeps a watchful eye on white folks behaviour, I have watched him a lot (even going back to '88). I like this guy a lot.

If he ever turned out to be a fake ... I really wouldn't know how the victims of ... have a chance of liberation any time soon.

Ron Paul! Good God, I hope that racist nut never sniffs the White House lawn. The only thing I agree with him on is Foreign Policy.
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it depend on the state.certain african nations have more control of their resources than others and in certain nations of africa outsiders have in certain nations control or most control of resources and in other resources have joint control and certain other resources depending on the nation africans have more control.i agree that resources that they do not control or control mostly,they must control mostly or all the way.but as whole africa is as free as china or india,but they must become more ruthless on the world stage again. the future will tell.

i posted awhile ago on this,but anyway that's all from me on this. subject.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005588;p=1#000028

a book that has update info on modern africa and who control what resources is this book

africa

Washington : Stryker-Post Publications, 1966-
http://www.strykerpost.com/

the last time i read it had certain history info that was incorrect by now they may have updated,so i just wanted to get that out there but on average modern day info is more updated.this book however deals mostly with modern africa.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some updated info on gold and other resources in nigeria.

Segilola Gold Project

CGA Mining Limited (“CGA”) has entered into a Heads of Agreement with Tropical Mines Limited (“TML”), a private company based in Nigeria, to acquire a 51% interest in the Segilola Gold Project in Nigeria, considered to be the most advanced gold exploration project in the country. TML is a Nigerian company owned 80% by local investors and 20% by the Government.
Finalisation of the formal joint venture agreement is waiting on final approval of the transfer of the licence to the new joint venture.
The Segilola Gold Project is located at the village of Iperindo-Odo Ijesha, near the city of Ilesha in Osun State, Nigeria. The project site is situated within 600m of a sealed road, 18km south of the regional centre Ilesha, the local government centre, with a population of 300,000, which is itself located on a sealed dual carriage way, 120km north east of Lagos (the principal international entry port and major commercial centre of Nigeria, estimated population, 16 million).
Nigeria has a well established petro-chemical industry based in the Niger River delta and the government of Nigeria, is now in its second term of democratic rule. The Government has recently established the Ministry for Solid Minerals Development to administer all mineral assets occurring in Nigeria other than oil and natural gas.
South Western Nigeria including Segilola Project Site
Drawing Number 5 South Western Nigeria including Segilola Project Site
Licences
The project is the subject of Mining Lease (ML 19706) that covers an area of 46 hectares within an Exploration Licence (EPL 13205) covering 16km2. The current title holder, TML has recently been granted an extended Exploration Licence area of 400km2 surrounding the project area. All such licences would be transferred to the joint venture with CGA on satisfaction of the conditions precedent as set out below.
Joint Venture Terms

http://www.cgamining.com/projects/project.php?project=3

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Ron Paul! Good God, I hope that racist nut never sniffs the White House lawn. The only thing I agree with him on is Foreign Policy.
WHY is he a racist nut?
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Kingship stemmeth from holy "Gebel Barkal" by Amun. (click the pic and go there)
 -

quote:

Thanks for this. Very interesting stuff!
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Does anyone here meditate? What are the PROVEN METHODS to awaken the serpent power?
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Hey, King_Scorpion, check this out:

Ron Paul's take on Racism

quote:
A nation that once prided itself on a sense of rugged individualism has become uncomfortably obsessed with racial group identities.

The collectivist mindset is at the heart of racism.

Government as an institution is particularly ill-suited to combat bigotry. Bigotry at its essence is a problem of the heart, and we cannot change people's hearts by passing more laws and regulations.

It is the federal government that most divides us by race, class, religion, and gender. Through its taxes, restrictive regulations, corporate subsidies, racial set-asides, and welfare programs, government plays far too large a role in determining who succeeds and who fails. Government "benevolence" crowds out genuine goodwill by institutionalizing group thinking, thus making each group suspicious that others are receiving more of the government loot. This leads to resentment and hostility among us.

Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than as individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism.

The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims. Liberty means free-market capitalism, which rewards individual achievement and competence - not skin color, gender, or ethnicity.

In a free society, every citizen gains a sense of himself as an individual, rather than developing a group or victim mentality. This leads to a sense of individual responsibility and personal pride, making skin color irrelevant. Racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
One thing for sure is that capitalism is not about liberty. Capitalism is the basis of racism, exploitation and oppression around the world. Capitalism seeks to take the positive expression of individual achievement and turn it into the search for the almighty dollar, which becomes a substitute for goodness and decency and therefore tacit support of a system that causes so much suffering world wide. If capitalism meant liberty, then Africa wouldn't be having the problems it is having, America wouldn't be in the Middle East and Afro-Americans would not be stuck at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Kenya's land Crisis based on Neocolonial puppet rulers and their policies since independence:

quote:

NAIROBI, 18 January 2008 (IRIN) - Kenya's breadbasket Rift Valley Province has experienced some of the worst ethnic clashes since December's disputed polls. But there is nothing new to the violence in this volatile region.

More than 220 people have been killed in the province since the elections, according to police figures, including at least 30, many of them children, who died when the church in which they had sought refuge was torched on 1 January in a village near Eldoret.

Hundreds of homes and farms have been set on fire and recently harvested crops stolen.

The violence has prompted almost 170,000 people to flee to makeshift camps and, for those able to do so, to friends and relatives elsewhere in the country. Others have nowhere to go.

Most of those affected are Kikuyu, the country’s largest and most powerful ethnic group, and that of the controversially re-elected president, Mwai Kibaki.

Long-unresolved issues related to the shifting ownership and tenure of (and large-scale evictions from) the province’s more fertile land tend to erupt into violence around the time of elections as campaigning candidates pledge to correct past “injustices” to win support.

Root of the problem

The roots of the Rift Valley land rows lie with the former colonial power, Britain; post-independence land policies; and the tendency for all things political to be viewed through the lens of ethnicity. Clashes over land use and ownership have been fuelled by politicians for their own benefit since the restoration of multiparty democracy in 1991, say analysts.

Under British rule, vast arable tracts of the Rift Valley were designated as White Highlands, reserved for European settlers. The pastoralist communities, mainly Kalenjin and Maasai, were simply moved away.

In the run-up to independence in 1963, Kenyan political parties argued over whether the land should be returned to the indigenous population under a federalist system of government or kept firmly under the control of a centralised state.

Those who favoured the latter option, in the form of the Kenya African National Union (KANU), which went on to form a government under president Jomo Kenyatta, a Kikuyu, prevailed.

KANU “urged central control of the region in an effort to forestall local legislation restricting land transfer to those born in the area and to maintain the foothold of the party's Kikuyu supporters in the Rift Valley land market”, Jennifer Widner explained in her 1992 book, The Rise of A Party-State in Kenya: From "Harambee!" to "Nyayo!"

At independence, many settlers decided to return to Britain. Kenyatta was keen to reassure those who remained and did not repossess their land. Instead, land was bought from those who were willing to sell, using a loan from the British government, and sold to Kenyans.

The Kikuyu fared well from this arrangement. According to Widner, by 1971, more than 50 percent of the acreage under cultivation by large-scale farmers around the Rift Valley town of Nakuru was held by Kikuyu.

This was partly because there was a large Kikuyu squatter population in RVP that had been displaced from neighbouring Central Province by European settlers. Many Kikuyu also lost their land when they took up arms against the colonial regime during the Mau Mau rebellion.

"Using the political and economic leverage available to them during the Kenyatta regime, the Kikuyu, Embu and Meru groups, but especially the Kikuyu, took advantage of the situation and formed many land-buying companies. These companies would, throughout the 1960s and 1970s, facilitate the settlement of hundreds of thousands of Kikuyu in the Rift Valley," wrote Walter Oyugi in Politicised Ethnic Conflict in Kenya: A Periodic Phenomenon.

According to Oyugi, other new entrants included Kisiis, Luos and Luhyas. Foreigners also acquired more than 400,000 hectares of land in the first four years of independence, despite a ban on such transfers, according to Widner.

The province's earlier pastoralist inhabitants, such as the Maasai and groups collectively known as Kalenjin, were quick to protest. In 1969, Jean Marie Seroney, a leading Nandi politician – Nandis are a Kalenjin sub-group – issued the Nandi Hills Declaration, laying claim to all settlement land in the district for the Nandi.

His demands went unheeded. Taking a leaf out of the British colonialists’ book, the Kenyatta government used a policy of divide-and-rule to neutralise such opposition by parcelling out land to other ethnic groups and thus winning their allegiance. Daniel arap Moi, the then vice-president who went on to rule Kenya for more than two decades, "secured the settler farms of the Lembus Forest and the Essageri Salient for his own small subgroup in the face of competing bids by the Nandi", explained Widner. Moi is a Tugen, another Kalenjin sub-group.

Land (and votes) for the boys

For decades, corrupt political patronage allowed cabinet ministers and other influential personalities to acquire public or common land in Rift Valley and elsewhere in Kenya, some of which had been used for generations by pastoralist communities.

According to the (2004) Ndung’u Report of the Commission of Inquiry into the Illegal/Irregular Allocation of Public Land set up by Kibaki, dozens of politically connected people had been unlawfully allocated public land.

Another source of bitterness has been tendency for large tracts of land in Rift Valley, especially those owned by absentee landlords, or where ownership is disputed, to lie idle.

"Some of the 'telephone farmers' hold that land to get collateral and don't use it. If you drive through Rift Valley, you see a lot of land that is fallow but it belongs to somebody who has a title deed for it. People are not benefiting from that land and so many Kenyans do not have any land to get subsistence crops from," John Oucho, author of Undercurrents of Ethnic Conflicts in Kenya (2002), told IRIN.

Precedents for unrest

In Divide and Rule: State Sponsored Ethnic Violence in Kenya (1993), the NGO Human Rights Watch argued that Moi's government had four main reasons for fostering ethnic clashes: to make a case that a return to multiparty democracy would lead to chaos; to punish Kikuyu, Luo and Luhya voters who were pro-opposition; to terrorise and intimidate non-Kalenjin and non-Maasai into leaving the province so that Kalenjin and Maasai could take over their land; and to support renewed calls for a federal system of government to empower Rift Valley’s original pastoralist inhabitants.

That the state had a direct hand in election-time RVP clashes is well documented in the 1993 Kiliku Report by the Parliamentary Commission on Ethnic Clashes.

A fresh wave of dispossessions in the province took place even after Kibaki succeeded Moi in 2002, despite Kibaki’s election manifesto promising to assist people displaced from the province during previous clashes.

“Government-sponsored evictions have also aggravated ethnic tensions and in one area, the Mau Forest, led to the displacement of roughly 15,000 people,” according to ‘I am a Refugee in My Own Country’: Conflict-Induced Internal Displacement in Kenya, a report by the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC), a Geneva-based organisation set up by the Norwegian Refugee Council.

Although the evictions were designed to protect water catchment and environmentally sensitive areas, they were “characterised by violence, forced displacement, and other human rights abuses”, according to the report, released in December 2006, which also noted that many of those forcibly moved held legal title deeds.

And while the evictions were recommended in the Ndung’u report, resettlement provisions in the same document have been largely ignored, according to IDMC.

Bishop Cornelius Korir of Eldoret Cathedral, which has been a sanctuary for many of those displaced in Rift Valley since the latest elections, said this inequality must be addressed if there is to be lasting peace in the region.

"You have rich fellows who took chunks of land. You have poor people who have nothing. The gap between the poor and the rich is growing. Most of the people doing violence are young and poor and they are being misused by the leaders. If the structures are not set for equality of distribution, this problem will grow," he warned.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by kenndo:

Segilola Gold Project

CGA Mining Limited (“CGA”) has entered into a Heads of Agreement with Tropical Mines Limited (“TML”), a private company based in Nigeria, to acquire a 51% interest in the Segilola Gold Project in Nigeria, considered to be the most advanced gold exploration project in the country. TML is a Nigerian company owned 80% by local investors and 20% by the Government.
Finalisation of the formal joint venture agreement is waiting on final approval of the transfer of the licence to the new joint venture.
The Segilola Gold Project is located at the village of Iperindo-Odo Ijesha, near the city of Ilesha in Osun State, Nigeria. The project site is situated within 600m of a sealed road, 18km south of the regional centre Ilesha, the local government centre, with a population of 300,000, which is itself located on a sealed dual carriage way, 120km north east of Lagos (the principal international entry port and major commercial centre of Nigeria, estimated population, 16 million).
Nigeria has a well established petro-chemical industry based in the Niger River delta and the government of Nigeria, is now in its second term of democratic rule. The Government has recently established the Ministry for Solid Minerals Development to administer all mineral assets occurring in Nigeria other than oil and natural gas.
Licences
The project is the subject of Mining Lease (ML 19706) that covers an area of 46 hectares within an Exploration Licence (EPL 13205) covering 16km2. The current title holder, TML has recently been granted an extended Exploration Licence area of 400km2 surrounding the project area. All such licences would be transferred to the joint venture with CGA on satisfaction of the conditions precedent as set out below.
Joint Venture Terms

"The most Advanced gold mine" in Nigeria, 80% owned by local investors, is selling 51% of control to an Australian company. My question is WHY? Why is it that they NEED the Australians if this mine is the "most advanced". Why can't they simply expand their OWN operations and make more money? Isn't that the point? Why is it that it sounds positive when foreigners take over control of more African resources? I sure hope you don't think this money is going to the Africans in any major way.

It seems that whenever Africans, especially Nigerians, develop some major industrial or mining operation, it always winds up in the hands of foreigners. See the steel fiasco and the ownership of Nigerian steel mills by Indians. Mills that were paid for and built with Nigerian money by Russians. The mills sat idle for a long time until the current owners took over.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
One thing for sure is that capitalism is not about liberty. Capitalism is the basis of racism, exploitation and oppression around the world. Capitalism seeks to take the positive expression of individual achievement and turn it into the search for the almighty dollar, which becomes a substitute for goodness and decency and therefore tacit support of a system that causes so much suffering world wide. If capitalism meant liberty, then Africa wouldn't be having the problems it is having, America wouldn't be in the Middle East and Afro-Americans would not be stuck at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder.

Really Doug, are you saying this guy isn't projecting the right intentions? (who knows what's really in his heart unless he gets a chance?).

Note that he said "free-market capitalism" not "capitalism as we know it". He is very much against the sort of imperialistic capitalism we all face today (all the way from U.S. to Zimbabwe). He is AGAINST Westerners pimping weaker nations, plain & simple. He seems dead serious about ending America's involvement in this hate game.

Regarding the almighty Dollar, HE ACTUALLY BELIEVES THERE IS A NEED FOR AND RECOMMENDS ALTERNATIVE CURRENCIES WITHIN THE U.S.

And on Education:

quote:
The federal government does not own our children. Yet we act as if it does by letting it decide when, how, and what our children will learn. We have turned their futures over to lobbyists and bureaucrats.

I support giving educational control back to parents, who know their children better than any politician in D.C. ever will.

The federal government has no constitutional authority to fund or control schools. I want to abolish the unconstitutional, wasteful Department of Education and return its functions to the states. By removing the federal subsidies that inflate costs, schools can be funded by local taxes, and parents and teachers can directly decide how best to allocate the resources.

To help parents with the costs of schooling, I have introduced H.R. 1056, the Family Education Freedom Act, in Congress. This bill would allow parents a tax credit of up to $5,000 (adjustable after 2007 for inflation) per student per year for the cost of attendance at an elementary and/or secondary school. This includes private, parochial, religious, and home schools.

Another bill I have sponsored, H.R. 1059, allows full-time elementary and secondary teachers a $3,000 yearly tax credit, thus easing their financial burden and encouraging good teachers to stay in an underpaid profession.

I have also introduced legislation to help families cope with the out-of-control costs of higher education. H.R. 193, the Make College Affordable Act, creates a full tax deduction for undergraduate college tuition, reasonable living expenses, and interest on qualified student loans.

Many parents have already shown their desire to be free of federal control by either enrolling their children in private schools or homeschooling them. And students enrolled in these alternatives have consistently performed better and tested higher than those in state-run schools.

Years of centralized education have produced nothing but failure and frustrated parents. We can resurrect our public school system if we follow the Constitution and end the federal education monopoly.

Amongst many other positive things, he's the only White American in a position of power who admits to the FACTS that the Illuminati DO exist, the KGB is still out and about, the American govt. had a hand in Pearl Harbour and that THE WHOLE WORLD'S prime enemy is the Council on Foreign Relations (and ANYBODY else they are connected with - this includes our "brother" Barack Obama).

I don't know what else this man can say to prove that he's not a racist and truly believes in Liberty for all. To top it off, he has a RECORD of this behaviour. These are not principles he recently picked up for the sake of grabbing the Presidency.

HONESTLY, I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A FLAW IN THIS MAN, AND THAT'S SAYING A LOT BECAUSE: I DON'T BELIEVE ANYONE EXISTS WITHOUT A FLAW.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Segilola Gold Project

Licences
Joint Venture Terms

"The most Advanced gold mine" in Nigeria, 80% owned by local investors, is selling 51% of control to an Australian company. My question is WHY? Why is it that they NEED the Australians if this mine is the "most advanced". Why can't they simply expand their OWN operations and make more money? Isn't that the point? Why is it that it sounds positive when foreigners take over control of more African resources? I sure hope you don't think this money is going to the Africans in any major way.

It seems that whenever Africans, especially Nigerians, develop some major industrial or mining operation, it always winds up in the hands of foreigners. See the steel fiasco and the ownership of Nigerian steel mills by Indians. Mills that were paid for and built with Nigerian money by Russians. The mills sat idle for a long time until the current owners took over.

This is simply because the Nigerian "elite" are not only greedy pigs but are in actual fact, extremely undereducated and stupid people. Trust me, I know these people.

The infamous June 12 elections in Nigeria ... I am very *good* friends with sons of both candidates(Abiola and Tofa). Honestly, you would not be impressed to meet these guys. They're a waste of space and bum around London doing NOTHING.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
more update info on nigerian steel.

Ajaokuta/Delta Steels: FG Probes Indian Firm

The federal government has set up a five-man committee of inquiry to carry out an investigation into the transactions of the nation's metal-based industries.

The committee, which was set up yesterday in Abuja by he minister of mines and steel development, Chief S arafadeen Ishola, was h anded a nine-point terms of reference under which to carry ot its investigation, and report its findings and suggestions not later than six wee ks from the date of i nauguration.

Indian Steel-manufacturing c ompany, Global infrastructure Holding Limited (G1HL), will be at the heart of the committee's investigation as it would examine the concession agreement between the steel company and the federal government to establish its merits and demerits; establish the need to continue with the concession or the joint venture agreement; and to establish the actual amount of me GIHL's fund imported into the country.

Other terms of reference given to the committee include: to establish the extent of compliance by the GIHL with the terms of agreement in all ramifications; to establish the extent of breaches, contraventions and any act committed by the GIHL that is inimical to the interest of government and its holdings; and to establish outstanding amount, such as royalty against the GIHL.

The committee is expected to establish the conditions-under which the GIHL won the Delta Steel Company Limited, Aladja against other bidders; establish any other acts by either the GIHL or government that are impediments to the implementation of the project; and recommend measures that should be taken by government to actualise the interest of Nigeria to be a leading steel giant in Africa.

The committee has the liberty to interview any corporate body, persons or group of persons and officials who in anyway exercised functions relating to any or other transactions which have any relationship with the "outright safe of" or "liquidation of" the nation's metal-based industries.

It is noteworthy that the BPE was involved in the outright safe of Delta Steel Company Limited, Aladja, under Liyel Imoke, a former minister of steel and present governor of Cross River State.

Sources: (a Nigeria daily) Leadership Newspaper Tuesday October 30, 2007 Pg.1

Home

Nigerian Government Set to Revisit The Steel Sector

The Nigerian government seems to have suddenly woken up from its slumber by focusing its attention to steel development once again. Ever since, the government of Umar Yar'adua came to being, there has been laudable effort towards the revisiting the obnoxious privatization of the steel sector in Nigeria by Obasanjo regime

During Obasanjo regime, the Steel Complex in Ajaokuta was concessioned to an Indian company called Global Infrastructures Limited (GIL). The Indians were to run the steel industry for ten years. Many stakeholders in the sector were against this arrangement and based their argument on the fact that it would be more apt for Nigerian government to first release fund for the completion of the steel complex in Ajaokuta, run the plant before considering privatization. Their argument as genuine as it might be, fell into deaf ears as Obasanjo regime eventual sold not only Ajaokuta Steel Company to the Indians so also Delta Steel Company in very controversial circumstances.

The then regime as if not done with the steel sector, concessioned the Itakpe Iron Ore Mining Company to the same Indians and went ahead to liquidate the Inland Rolling Mills i.e. Oshogbo , Jos, Katsina and were subsequently sold at ridiculous prices. It should be recalled that each of the Inland Rolling Mills cost over US$120 million dollars when it was constructed in the 80s. It was against this logjam that the new regime of Shehu Yar'adua sensed the danger in privatization drive of the last regime and seem bent to put right the wrongs inherent in the privatization.

It will be recalled that the stakeholders in the steel sector mostly the African Iron and Steel Association (AISA) under its indefatigable Executive Secretary - General, Dr. Sanusi A. Mohammed stood and fought head-long on what might be called government effort to kill the steel sector.

Over the years, the steel sector has been relegated to the background as evident in the name given to the Ministry that supervises the sector. For instance, it was Power and Steel Ministry as the name depicted, emphasis were on the latter than the former and presently, the Ministry nomenclature has been changed to Ministry of Mines and Steel Development. If the new Logo of the Ministry is anything to go by, then emphasis might be on Mines as the logo shows mining activities and nothing on steel, let alone metallurgy.

The omen is that the Committee set up to revisit the Agreement that Obasanjo regime signed with the Indians might be a right effort in a right direction. The African Iron and Steel Association (AISA) raised an alarm that the agreement reached with the Indians was fraudulent given the fact that the Indians in the Agreement was given the right to declare any equipment or machine in Ajaokuta Steel Complex obsolete and among many other obnoxious clauses in the Agreement.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would at least appreciate those who accuse Ron Paul of being racist to prove their claim or at least give information on what the claim is based on [Confused]

May I point everyone to an AE proverb that may shed light on WHY I support this Ron Paul guy:

quote:
It is the passive resistance from the helm that steers the boat.
What does helm mean?

quote:
1. Nautical.
a. a wheel or tiller by which a ship is steered.
b. the entire steering apparatus of a ship.
c. the angle with the fore-and-aft line made by a rudder when turned: 15-degree helm.
2. the place or post of control: A stern taskmaster was at the helm of the company.

If Barack Obama wins, what will he do?
If Ron Paul wins, what will he do?

I don't have to answer these questions, listen to what they're saying on your TV. Observe their track record... don't be blinded by the very racism you claim to be against.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I think you missed my point. African nationalism and national identity means looking WITHIN for solutions, not without. The problem is THE SYSTEM ITSELF and you cannot FREE YOURSELF from the system, while SUPPORTING ITS LEADERS, no matter WHO they are or WHAT they say. Progress in African economics and prosperity will begin when the Africans begin to take control OF THEIR OWN and STOP waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to come in and SOLVE their problems. NOBODY ELSE is going to solve Africa's problems but Africans. The point about THE SYSTEM is that THE SYSTEM is responsible for the state of affairs in Africa, yet THIS SAME system tries to pass itself off as THE SOLUTION. It isn't and THE SOLUTION is only a continuation of the POWER AND CONTROL of the SAME SYSTEM which started the problems in the first place. Which means no true progress for Africa.
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
there is true progress in certain areas-example

The Nigerian government seems to have suddenly woken up from its slumber by focusing its attention to steel development once again. Ever since, the government of Umar Yar'adua came to being, there has been laudable effort towards the revisiting the obnoxious privatization of the steel sector in Nigeria by Obasanjo regime.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

I think you missed my point. African nationalism and national identity means looking WITHIN for solutions, not without. The problem is THE SYSTEM ITSELF and you cannot FREE YOURSELF from the system, while SUPPORTING ITS LEADERS, no matter WHO they are or WHAT they say. Progress in African economics and prosperity will begin when the
Africans begin to take control OF THEIR OWN and STOP waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to come in and SOLVE their problems. NOBODY ELSE is going to solve Africa's problems but Africans. The point about THE SYSTEM is that THE SYSTEM is responsible for the state of affairs in Africa, yet THIS SAME system tries to pass itself off as THE SOLUTION. It isn't and THE SOLUTION is only a continuation of the POWER AND CONTROL of the SAME SYSTEM which started the problems in the first place. Which means no true progress for Africa.

^ I agree that only Africans can solve Africa's problem.

MY POINT is actually about the United States of America (and there are African-Americans who call this country HOME). Ron Paul, as far as current presidential candidates are concerned, proposes a sensible solution to America's problems - which I believe, is a welcome situation for (shrewd) Africans just as Africa's weakness is a welcome situation for most (white & racist) Americans. Basically, I think that Ron Paul winning the elections would put a huge dent in the White supremacist system. I may be wrong. I may be right. I don't know for sure.

This game of world politics is a game of chess, not checkers.

Of course, there is no progress being made regarding Africa's problems. It is up to us to do that.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
there is true progress in certain areas-example

The Nigerian government seems to have suddenly woken up from its slumber by focusing its attention to steel development once again. Ever since, the government of Umar Yar'adua came to being, there has been laudable effort towards the revisiting the obnoxious privatization of the steel sector in Nigeria by Obasanjo regime.

Dude, I don't mean to be insulting but it seems you can't see the forest for the trees. It is not enough to be spending and reviving and making jobs blah blah blah. The issue here is that we're being f***ed in the ass by our enemies.

Deal with that and stop your random rants.

Damn.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
well f***ed back
damn.
and folks are fighting,more so the grassroots that's my point and i am not making rants,all i did was some little bit of info.i hardly said nothing on this topic so i would not call it ranting.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^lol [Big Grin] , I'm a Nigerian just like you. We're in the same boat.

I'm just trying to get you off that Western kool-aid. Nigeria as a country is NOT making progress. I'm sorry to be a bearer of bad news.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
i beg to differ.in certain areas yes and certain areas no and certain other areas maybe,just hard to tell yet.anyway nigeria has a space program for an example and advancing thier tech knowhow.anyway check out your private email .
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
my friend check out your private email again.you will find it most interesting. [Cool]
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Do you guys know what the anti-christ is and why white Supremacy and secret societies represent the anti christ? If the Christ means logos and the creation of humans from the clay in "gods" image, then who is the body of the "christ" or risen sun(divine conscious in flesh)? Obviously it was the original black man and woman of the earth. So, if your whole SYSTEM and IDENTITY is built on KILLING OFF the original black seed and risen conscious of the earth, then what does that make you? Of course this SYSTEM in co-opting the original concept of the risen seed and risen earth, which was a potent biological, anthropological, chemical and national symbol, has made itself into a false prophet. You cannot help that which you are trying to destroy. So the SYSTEM of white supremacy is inherently an extreme form of nationalism that is AGAINST the black seed and black nationalism anywhere on earth. So in passing itself off as the savior of black nations and black people, it is in all reality only propagating the destruction of the black seed, black nationalism and black consciousness even further in putting the hope of the future in the guise of a white savior as opposed to the newly risen conscious of the black nation itself and the suns and daughters of the nation who will propagate this seed. This system of white supremacy, national identity and world domination is the antichrist in that it seeks to make the earth in its OWN image, meaning consciousness based on white identity where whiteness is the hope for the future of the white nation and planet itself. Which is bullsh*t because they are the main ones destroying it.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Seen Kenya in the News today? Have you heard that it is an ethnic battle over land in the Rift? Did they say that blacks are the owners of this land? Did you know that this is BULL SH*T?

Most of the Rift Valley is where WHITES settled when they conquered Kenya. They STILL have farms and "Nature" preserves there, meaning preserving the nature on the LAND they STOLE from the Maasai and Samburu. So how on earth could a ethnic conflict over land in Kenya be between blacks when whites STILL control the best land, largest farms and largest percentage of the best land in Kenya?
Of course all of this is ORCHESTRATED by the SAME system of white supremacy that causes all the COUPS and Killings elsewhere in Africa. The complicity of the Western Media and press in all of this PURPOSELY hides the facts of the large scale white operations in the MIDDLE of these conflicts.

Here is an example of bogus reporting which contradicts itself and OUTRIGHT LIES by saying that the land in the Rift went from the white settlers to the blacks after independence. That is a LIE. The reason for the conflict is the fact that the land HASN'T gone from the Whites to the blacks and the politicians are controlled by the whites, using "ethnic" tensions like this as a TACTIC to maintain their rule and reinforce WHITE control of the economics of the country. This is no different than Zimbabwe, South Africa, Rwanda and elsewhere.

quote:

The Rift Valley is a geographical fault line that runs through Kenya.

But it is also the centre of a political and ethnic divide.

So it is no coincidence, historians and academics say, that Rift Valley towns like Nakuru and Naivasha have exploded in the wake of Kenya's disputed elections.

map

They say that while the dispute over the elections is clearly political - with the opposition and some independent observers accusing the government of having rigged the polls - the root cause of some of the violence is hunger for fertile land.

And they add that land hunger is inevitably expressed, in poor communities, through ethnicity or tribe.

A Nairobi-based academic, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Rift Valley was dominated, before the advent of large scale commercial farming in Africa, by ethnic Masaai herders and Kalenjin people.

Historic resentment

"The Masaai were displaced from the late 19th Century onwards, at least from the more desirable land, by British settlers," the academic said.

The cooler and more fertile parts of the Rift were part of what became known as the "White Highlands" of Kenya.

EYEWITNESS
Before they got out of the house, they met a crowd waiting for them
Antony, 35
Teacher, Naivasha

'People are killing each other'
Key flashpoints
"When independence came," the academic said, "the departing white farmers were replaced not by Masaai, but to a large extent by politically well-connected Kikuyus."

This displacement - or more accurately the historic resentment that politicians can extract from it - is part of the root of today's violence.

The Kikuyu are the largest and most economically-dominant ethnic group in Kenya. They organised most successfully against the British (in the Mau Mau rebellion and later through elections) so they won the first fruits of independence.

They have been at the heart of the violence in Rift Valley towns like Naivasha and Nakuru - as both perpetrators and victims.

'Land clashes'

The incumbent government in Kenya is perceived by the opposition as being Kikuyu-dominated, so the current political dispute is fuel for the smouldering embers of a land dispute which has existed for decades.

But the Nairobi-based academic said it was far from being a simple matter of ethnicity.

"Focussing on the Kikuyu is easy," he said "but it's really about deep, long-running income inequalities in Kenya" - and a rapidly growing population which sees land ownership as a means of survival.

Rich and politically well-connected members of the Masaai community, he stressed, had benefited from land ownership in the Rift Valley as well as Kikuyus.

Politicians from all ethnic groups, the academic said, had been preparing the ground for trouble in the wake of the elections because they know that "land clashes", as they are known in Kenya, always flare up around polling time.

"There were peaks in land clash violence 1992/3, 1997 and 2001/2", he said, "all around election time."

Of course the reality is that the descendants of the white settlers STILL LIVE In Kenya and STILL OWN much of the land and STILL OPPRESS the blacks.

quote:

SOYSAMBU, Kenya: Of all the upper-crust British families who came to this country and never left, one is more famous than them all: the Delameres.

They had the most glamorous parties, the most fabled pedigree (going back to William the Conqueror) and, not insignificantly, the most stunning land.

Soysambu Ranch is the jewel in their crown, 20,000 hectares, or 50,000 acres, teeming with giraffe and zebra in the heart of Africa's great Rift Valley. The scenery is straight off a postcard - the golden pastures, the sculptured hills, the sense of getting so much of the world in one big gulp.

But Thomas Cholmondeley, the cravat-wearing scion of the family, who until recently was on track to be the Sixth Baron of Delamere, is no longer here. He is in Kamiti maximum security prison in Nairobi, the rare white face behind bars in this country, awaiting trial in a murder case that is dividing Kenya.

Because in little more than a year, he shot and killed two black Kenyans on his ranch.

The first was an undercover wildlife ranger who was arresting some of Cholmondeley's workers suspected of poaching. Claiming self-defense, Cholmondeley was cleared without trial.

The second was a poacher himself, with an antelope slung over his back. Cholmondeley says that the poacher's dogs attacked and, again, that he fired in self-defense.

White farmers in Kenya, an increasingly beleaguered and endangered species, are deeply sympathetic. They say that crime is out of control and the police are useless, and that the bush, however beautiful, is awash with guns.

Certainly, there has been an explosion of violence in the Rift Valley, with gangs surging in from Nairobi and tensions peaking between the dirt-poor farm workers and the handful of white Kenyans still living on vast tracts of land. Joan Root, a famed conservationist, was gunned down in her bedroom in January. Other whites have been killed in holdups.

But black Kenyans see Cholmondeley's situation differently and worry that the days of white privilege may not be over. His absolution in the first case deepened their cynicism about an already suspect judiciary and ignited large protests.

The case seems to be hitting many of Kenya's sore spots - land, violence, corruption, the illegal game trade and, of course, race.

"It's very sexy when a white man gets in trouble," said Maina Kiai, chairman of Kenya's human rights commission. "We still have this inferiority complex and get a thrill out of seeing a white man in a powerless position."

And this is not just any white man.

The Honorable Thomas Patrick Gilbert Cholmondeley, 38, is a 1.9-meter, or 6-foot-6, raised-in-the-bush anachronism, who has a scar running from his ankle to hip from when he was attacked by a buffalo several years ago and whose great-grandfather made it fashionable for British aristocrats to move to Africa.

That settler, Hugh Cholmondeley, the Third Baron of Delamere, took chunks of the Rift Valley from local and illiterate Masai tribesmen in the early 1900s, turning the area into a playground for whites.

He rode horses through bars and shot chandeliers at fancy hotels and went on to become a leading dairy farmer and politician. Nairobi's main street was named Delamere Avenue until independence in 1963.

Thomas was born five years later, grew up on Soysambu (the name means "place of red rock" in the Masai language) and eventually was shipped off to Eton.

By then, a Masai named Samson ole Sisina was fixing trucks for Kenya's tourism board, hoping to become a wildlife ranger. Robert Njoya, a poor Kikuyu tribesman, had dropped out of school to haul rock, and to poach game. The men lived near Naivasha, a once sleepy town going through some serious growing pains.Flower farms were sprouting up along Lake Naivasha, drawing thousands of low-paid temporary workers. Many lived in squatter camps, including one named Manera built on Delamere land. The people there say Cholmondeley 'has terrorized them for years.

Mary Njeri, 51, said he caught her collecting firewood on his property two years ago and slapped her until she saw stars. Peter Kiragu, 12, said he was playing soccer on Delamere property four years ago when Cholmondeley snatched him by the back of his shirt, threw him into a truck and kept him locked up for hours.

Both episodes were reported to the police but charges were never pursued.

"The Delameres used to be untouchable," said Gideon Kibunjah, a Kenya police spokesman. "But that's changed now."

From: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/09/05/news/kenya.php

Of course, they tell you in the western media that the whites have gone from Kenya and all the "ethnic" violence is black on black. That is BULL SH*T. If anything the blacks are being used as BUFFERS by the whites.

quote:

Kenya Maasai land claims rejected
Maasai
The Maasai want white farmers evicted
The Kenyan government has rejected demands by ethnic Maasai protesters for the return of land leased to British settlers 100 years ago.

Lands Minister Amos Kimunya said the government did not recognise the colonial-era treaties.

The original lease expired this weekend on one million hectares of land, traditionally used by the Maasai and then occupied by white farmers.

On Friday, more than 100 Maasai tribesman demonstrated in Nairobi.

Dressed in traditional regalia, the Maasai handed a petition to the Kenyan lands and justice ministries and demanded compensation from the UK.

The one million hectare area is now subdivided among some white farmers, who own ranches, and black Kenyans, who practice small-scale farming.

The Maasai want the white farmers to be evicted and compensation from the British for the land occupied by the black farmers.

The Maasai Civil Society Group, which represents members of the community scattered in eight districts throughout Kenya, says if the demands are not met, it will consider legal action.

Any search of the largest game reserves, safari lodges, farms and mines in Kenya will reveal A LARGE AMOUNT OF WHITE OWNED LAND in Kenya. And it is this WHITE PRESENCE that FUNDS the unrest and supports the crooked politicians. In other words, around election time people get upset about being robbed and the crooks staying in power through ballot tampering, but before they can really get organized, the politicians call out the goons to start "ethnic" violence. Then the police go in an d start beating and arresting innocent people caught up in the middle. This is some of the most blatant neocolonial politics ever and it is retarded how this goes on right under the noses of everyone, but nobody seems to notice.

Here are some of the white owned lands in Kenya:

http://www.bush-homes.co.ke/OlMalo.htm

Kenya Wildlife Service (founded by Richard Leakey as a way for whites to control land in Kenya. Still part of white run tourist and conservation industry in Kenya. Blacks are nothing more than menial labor and field hands. The Samburu and Maasai are just side shows and poster children for these parks, because they have been pushed off the land and no longer control it.):

http://www.kws.org/parks.html

http://www.ecotourismkenya.org/downloads/national_inventory.pdf

And lets not talk about the coffee plantations and flower plantations that are mostly owned by whites, Indians and other foreigners, like the Sameer group:

http://www.sameer-group.com/cont.asp?cat=mgmt&pcat=about

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
So speaks DougM. The hot dog vendor at Monday Night Raw Events.

Doug!!!!! Boy, turn them franks over they're burning. : )

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
most of that land has been return doug,that is not a issue anymore.i heard that on wbai.org on africascope a black show deaiing with africa.that article about the land issue is mostly outdated.

the fight is with these groups the maasai and whites,everybody else has got their land backand looking out for themselves these days now that has to stop.the fight we see now is a different matter.
http://propagandapress.org/2004/09/01/maasai-still-fighting-for-the-return-of-their-stolen-land/

Kenya: The land where friends are turning foes

Paul, Nairobi: Jan 23 2008

this is what the fight is about today and it is ashame it had to happen and it must stop.

Conflicts have now become the fate of Kenya. People, who were once in their houses and were pretty well enjoying the fruits of President Mwai Kibaki’s rule for five years that brought them prosperity, are now on the road craving for two times meal for survival. Recent presidential election did the damage, and those who were living in harmony with each other, have now turned against each other.

I know my neighbor Joseph Onyango for the last five years, and indeed, a very nice and gentle fellow. I never ever thought in a moment of splash even that he’ll be among those who will come demanding our head. Kill! Chop them all!’ These horrible sounds are still echoing loud in my ears and send cold shivers to the spine whenever I remember that ghastly day.

As the mob set fire to my neighboring house, I had no idea about mine. When violence erupted, we packed our things, ran away before they got to our house, and took shelter in a school form where market and city hustle-bustle was at a distance. Though we managed to escape for the time being, but only to pick up the rags on the streets that was devoid of any means to survive, nevertheless, a place where we waited for a new sunrise without aggression, brutal discrimination and bigotry, which far too many have witnessed recently.

Coming out in the street is like stepping in the hell and we are spending our nights in the police stations, for we feel insecure here even. Kenya has now become the epicenter of terrible prejudices that have exposed everyone to grudges and has robbed us off our safety and security because of our multi ethnic society. The turbulence and petulance has commenced an era of suspicion and fear where friends are turning foes. We perceive everyone our enemy and never know when we’ll be surrounded and chopped off by the mob of other tribe.

Had the land belonging to different tribes in Rift valley not been given to Kikuyu people, this spiraling mayhem wouldn’t have spread. At first, it appeared in Politics between Mwai Kibaki and Raila Odinga and provided a spark to the conflict but the reverberation of this appeared in the form of present conflict, which so far has gobbled up somewhere around 800 and displaced tens of thousands of desperate people.
I want to go back in my house, but really don’t think I can live with those people again. It’s total chaos here and we’re cold and hungry but no one seem to care. Here goes the word suspicion again, but this time for the secure future…with all this going on, we only wait for a miracle to get things right for us.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
this is the problem mostly today.yes it's rooted in the past but it is up to kenyans to solve it.no one else will do it for them.that's all i have to say in this thread. the end.

Kenya spirals into ethnic warfare

Disputed election ignites tribal animosities dating from land redistribution after independence in 1963

Michelle Faul, Associated Press
Wednesday, January 30, 2008

quote-
At the heart of the conflict are decades-old grudges over land. The Rift Valley is the traditional home of the Kalenjin and Masai. British colonizers seized large tracts of land to cultivate fertile
farms there. When much of that land was redistributed after independence in 1963, President

Jomo Kenyatta flooded it with his Kikuyu, instead of returning it to the Kalenjin and Masai.

The Kikuyu are Kenya's largest ethnic group, making up about 22 percent of the population of 38 million. Two of the three presidents since independence have been Kikuyu, and their domination of politics and the economy is deeply resented. deeply .Human rights groups and others charge that politicians are manipulating people's anger to orchestrate much of the violence. Odinga and Kibaki blame each other and have traded charges of ethnic cleansing.

100,000 Kikuyu have fled homes in the Rift Valley - some fear they will never return;hard-liners say they never should.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Kenndo, stop parroting nonsense. Who owns the largest percentage of coffee companies in Kenya? Who owns the majority of the major farms in Kenya? Who owns the majority of the major flower plantations? Who owns the majority of the major game reserves and safari lodges? It is NOT the Kikuyu or any OTHER black Kenyan group. Stop living in fantasy land. Most of Kenya's major for profit enterprises are run by whites and other foreigners with the black Kenyans getting little to nothing in return.

This whole idea that the Kikuyu got all this land from the Masai is bullsh*t. The white farmers still have most of this land and they are USING the Kikuyus as buffers in a scheme of divide and conquer, which aims to KEEP the whites in control of the major economics of Kenya by financing and bankrolling the president and using his thugs as fronts for their operations.

For example, the Kenyans may grow the coffee on small scale farms and bust their butts harvesting it, but they don't get any money from it. It is the middlemen, the distributors and so forth who get the money, not the Kenyans that grow the beans. They are no more than slaves.

quote:

COFFEE PROFITS NOT PERCOLATING DOWN TO FARMERS
By Joyce Mulama

NAIROBI - Lucy Wangui once appreciated her coffee trees, but not any more. Instead, the small-scale grower from central Kenya says they are causing her more trouble than they're worth.

Wangui -- who began farming coffee in 1975, and used to own 300 trees -- has watched helplessly as the once vibrant coffee sector withered, with particularly devastating consequences for small-scale growers.

"In the past, the 300 trees would give me more than 50,000 Kenya shillings (about 714 dollars). This later dropped to 20,000 (about 285 dollars), and now to 7,000 (about 100 dollars), which I get paid by the marketing agents after a year," she told IPS.

"I cannot afford to take all my ten children to school because the proceeds from the coffee are barely enough; I cannot even afford food for them to eat. I put in a lot of money to produce the coffee, but what I reap in the end does not match what I have put in."

In addition, a system that allowed farmers to get fertilizer on credit from coffee factories has collapsed. With high interest rates making growers fearful of taking loans for fertilizer, the quality of coffee has declined, noted Wangui.

"Is it not better if I do away with the coffee completely and in its place, plant maize or bananas so that my children can eat?"

In fact, Wangui has already started to cultivate alternative crops, cutting down 100 of her 300 coffee trees, and planting maize instead. If coffee farming does not become more lucrative soon, she will chop down all the trees.

Peter Mwangi Njoroge, chairman of the League of Small-Scale Coffee Farmers, has a similar story; he has been growing coffee since 1970.

"Last year I harvested 1,000 kilogrammes of coffee, and was paid a total of 16,000 Kenya shillings (about 229 dollars)," he told IPS, noting that this amounted to 16 shillings, or about 20 cents, for every kilogramme of coffee.

"I had spent 12,000 Kenya shillings (171 dollars) to produce the coffee, buy fertilizer, pay my workers. This means I got a profit of only 4,000 Kenya shillings (about 57 dollars)," Njoroge said.

"I know the actual price of a kilo of coffee was more than the 16 Kenya shillings. The main problem in this country is that coffee farmers are paid poorly."

Coffee reportedly fetches about three dollars per kilogramme at auction in Kenya at present.

"If this coffee cannot help me, then it is useless. If these problems cannot be addressed, then I am going to mobilize the small farmers to cut down all their coffee trees," Njoroge added.

These frustrations dominated a two-day meeting held in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi last week. The May 4-5 gathering, held with assistance from Norwegian Church Aid, a development agency, brought together small-scale growers and policy makers in a bid to restore the ailing coffee farming sector.

Coffee was Kenya's top foreign exchange earner when the East African country gained independence in 1963, remaining so until the late 1980s. But production has since fallen, and coffee is now only the fourth-largest earner after tourism, tea and horticulture.

According to agriculture officials, Kenya currently produces about 50,000 tonnes of coffee, compared to an all-time high of 130,000 tonnes in the 1987/1988 season.

The crisis bedeviling the industry has been attributed to a decline in world coffee prices caused by a global surplus of the commodity.

But, a subsequent rebound in prices does not appear to have benefited small-scale coffee growers in Kenya, something blamed in part on the long chain of middlemen that siphon off profits -- and a poorly-structured marketing facility.

"Farmers must sell their coffee through the auction, and through the three marketing agents appointed by law. These agents have often indicated that coffee farming is profitable, but the farmers are not getting the profit. It may be getting lost somewhere along the way," says James Nyoro, executive director of the Tegemeo Institute of Agriculture Policy and Development at Egerton University in Kenya.

Nyoro told IPS that the law should allow farmers to deal directly with buyers so that they can understand what the market entails, and change their products to meet buyers' needs. He believes this could occur alongside the existing auctions.

Legislators appear to have heeded the advice.

A bill aimed at reforming the coffee sector which is currently in the pipeline would enable farmers to be involved in marketing their produce, says Solomon Waweru, managing director of the Coffee Board of Kenya -- a government body.

In addition, small-scale farmers are campaigning for a system of direct selling: in a memorandum issued to the agriculture minister at last week's meeting, they stated that they wanted to have access to coffee buyers and roasters

From: http://www.ipsterraviva.net/Africa/viewstory.asp?idnews=656

In truth they want these small farms to go belly up so that big white and foreign conglomerates can gobble them up and make money. Africans cannot make money in small scale export oriented farming. In order to make money in export crops you have to have HUGE plantations and be able to distribute what you grow, either directly or through equitable contracts with partners. Historically, whites have taken large tracts of land and had the support of the white banking system and slave labor to help them along. This gave them the ability to turn large profits of these tracts of land because the system was designed to support them. Africans do not have such support, either financially or technially. Small scale farming on little plots is not going to make the kind of money made by whites with their huge plantations. THAT is why they like to run people off the land in order to make large tracts available for their operations. Small scale is definitely not in their interest. But then again, their interest is not in feeding the people either. Export oriented farming means that the land is primarily being used to grow cash crops that are not intended for the consumption of the locals. Coffee and Horticulture are the main cash crops of Kenyan agriculture and those cash crops only make money for those with large plantation and the clout to make favorable distribution deals with other companies. The average Kenyan is left holding the bag, with little or no food, little or no money and litte or no land to support themselves.

The POINT is to use the land to support THE PEOPLE FIRST, before worrying about EXPORTS. Why on earth would you EXPORT crops when your people don't have enough food to last one season? That is the problem with the ridiculous foreign dominated agriculture industry in Kenya that is oriented more towards the large scale white owned export based farms than African owned and operated self supporting agriculture.

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
What the hell do you own Doug. You damn loser.

Answer: Not one damn thing.

Now make sure you put mustard AND ketchup on that hot dog or I'll tell management on you.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
I think the problem is that Kenndo is lacking in a basic fundamental understanding of real economics. Can't see the forest for the trees.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com