EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: Berber legend on the Berber New Year

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Berber legend on the Berber New Year
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I began the title of this topic with "OT", but you can read it as "On topic" like "Off topic". I have no clear idea there about.

According to a "Berber acitivist's myth" the celebrating of the Berber New year begins the the Berber victor against the Egyptians. The details seem to be unhostorical, like the name of the Egyptian pharao who fought agianst the Berbers.

The place of the battle that is situated in Algeria according to the discussed myth.

The victor/win of Sheshonq (mostly called as "Cacnaq" (Read Chachnaq)): Sheshonq I became a pharaoh without a militaire battle/war.

The story is adopted by the Academie Berbères in Paris. But, i didn't read any clear explanations for that occurance;
This story was also officially proclaimed by the Libyan leader "M'ammer elqaddafi". However, it was given an Arab national nature.

Among many historians and writers who criticize the claim of a the Berber victory, Fahim Khachim (one of his ex-ambassadors) criticized the celebrations since the story is unhistorical claims. Thus, nonsense.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I post here some links with citations in order to elighten this topic:
"Both Islands used a pure 10-based system, deeply related to both proto-Berber and ancient Egyptian numeral systems, without discarding the possibly concurrent use of a 12-based system related with calendrical counts. Drawing evidence from ethnographic written sources I establish the existence of systematic records of lunar, solar and sidereal counts for both Islands."
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~tlaloc/archastro/ae26.html

This following citation is interesting, but it has to be enriched:
"Dans son livre (1929), "La femme chaouia de l’Aurès", Mathéa GAUDRY, citant E. MASQUERAY, rappelle que yennayer est appelé "Ass n Ferɛun". (le jour du Pharaon). Selon la légende, "les Chaouis fêtaient ce jour-là la mort du Pharaon tombé dans la mer". Cette évocation populaire qui se nourrirait de la victoire des Libyens sur l’Egypte et de l’installation du Roi Chechonq 1er au sommet de la 22e dynastie pharaonique en 950 av. JC. D’ailleurs, en 1968, l’Académie Berbère, l’association berbériste, fondée en 1966 par Mohand Arab BESSAOUD à Paris, porta son choix sur cette date qui devint le point de départ de l’actuel calendrier berbère. Inscrit dans le mouvement de la revendication identitaire berbère du XXe siècle, l’usage de ce calendrier reste emprunt d’une valeur fortement symbolique et permet aux Imazighen de passer du temps cyclique de la tradition et du vécu à un temps linéaire, historique."
http://www.tamazgha.fr/article.php3?id_article=1841

I discussed the en.wiki-article, but it seems we reached a closed way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Berber_calendar

(I hope you contribute to this topic)

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com