EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: North Africans not black but Southern Europeans white?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: North Africans not black but Southern Europeans white?
HistoryFacelift
Member # 14696

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HistoryFacelift     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry meant to post this in the AE section not the Egyptology section, delete my old post please!
----

Interesting question, I couldn't think of answer to give myself, because I consider them black I guess.
I'm not sure if the Sahara really was a boundary as someone suggested, I've heard the Sahara wasn't where it is now, and it doesn't seem to be a boundary for the people of the Middle East anyway, so why Africa?
Take a stab at it.

"Why are Northern Africans not considered black, but Southern Europeans considered white?
The African continent is the most centered on the equator and so almost all of their populations have some variation of dark skin.
This pattern is observed in all continents where skin color is determined by the indigenous population's distance from the equator, such that Northern Europeans, considerably lighter than Southern Europeans, Northern and Southern Middle Easterners and people North and South of Latin America.

All these populations are still considered "white", and "brown" and each part of the same ethnic group. Though they vary in hair color, facial features, skin color and skull variation.
I have noticed a difference when it comes to Africa, for some odd reason, people divide the North and other Africans into two distinct groups, thus indigenous Northern Africans are not black, they would rather say they are "something else" but anything besides "black" even though African's indigenous populations have the same skin color variation of any other continent. Why is this?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080207083020AAIcEyl

Posts: 105 | From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HistoryFacelift:
Sorry meant to post this in the AE section not the Egyptology section, delete my old post please!
----

Interesting question, I couldn't think of answer to give myself, because I consider them black I guess.
I'm not sure if the Sahara really was a boundary as someone suggested, I've heard the Sahara wasn't where it is now, and it doesn't seem to be a boundary for the people of the Middle East anyway, so why Africa?
Take a stab at it.

"Why are Northern Africans not considered black, but Southern Europeans considered white?
The African continent is the most centered on the equator and so almost all of their populations have some variation of dark skin.
This pattern is observed in all continents where skin color is determined by the indigenous population's distance from the equator, such that Northern Europeans, considerably lighter than Southern Europeans, Northern and Southern Middle Easterners and people North and South of Latin America.

All these populations are still considered "white", and "brown" and each part of the same ethnic group. Though they vary in hair color, facial features, skin color and skull variation.
I have noticed a difference when it comes to Africa, for some odd reason, people divide the North and other Africans into two distinct groups, thus indigenous Northern Africans are not black, they would rather say they are "something else" but anything besides "black" even though African's indigenous populations have the same skin color variation of any other continent. Why is this?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080207083020AAIcEyl

^ What you point out is the very hypocrisy of Eurocentrism. Thus we can have North African "caucasians" but not South European "negroids" (although folks like Clyde Winters and Marc Washington do argue this).

Yes the Sahara desert did not always exist as there are wet phases of climate where North Africa recieves rain and during much of the Pleistocene North Africa was indeed fertile grassland and savannah no different from the Sarengetti or the Masaimara. And even after desertifcation when it did become desert was it not a complete barrier as seen with nomadic groups like the Tuareg to travel back in forth from the desert to Sahel area south of the desert.

All of this along with the fact of black African ancestry in Southern Europeans does indeed explode the whole fallacious dichotomy of "Sub-Sahara"= black while North Africa = not black.

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[QUOTE]All of this along with the fact of black African ancestry in Southern Europeans does indeed explode the whole fallacious dichotomy of "Sub-Sahara"= black while North Africa = not black.

Evergreen Writes:

White Supremacy is built on the lie that White people are God and established all things good and noble. The fact of the matter is Black people fathered what we call Western Civilization. This is proven through a multiplicity of channels, including language, genetics, human biology, history, archaeology and anthropology to name a few.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com