EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Characteristics of HLA Class I and Class II Antigens of the Somali Population

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Characteristics of HLA Class I and Class II Antigens of the Somali Population
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abstract:

HLA antigens of the Somali population are not categorised as well as those of other international ethnic groups. We analysed the HLA antigens of 76 unrelated Somalis who lived in the west of England. HLA -A, -B, -C and DRB1 typing was performed by polymerase chain reaction using sequence-specific oligonucleotide probes (PCR-SSOP) at a low-intermediate resolution level. Phenotype frequency, gene frequency and haplotype frequency were used to study the relationship between Somalis and other relevant populations. The antigens with highest frequencies were HLA -A1, A2, and A30; B7, B51 and B39; Cw7, Cw16, Cw17, Cw15 and Cw18; DR 13, DR17, DR8 and DR1. HLA haplotypes with high significance and characteristics of the Somali population are B7-Cw7, B39-Cw12, B51-Cw16, B57-Cw18. The result of HLA class I and class II antigen frequencies show that the Somali population appear more similar to Arab or Caucasoid than to African populations. The results are consistent with hypothesis, supported by cultural and historical evidence, of common origin of the Somali population. This study will serve as a reference for further anthropological studies, as well as studies of associations between HLA and disease.
--------------------------------------------------

Interesting.
In light of the fact that majority of the Somalis belong to haplogroup E3b1 unlike Arabs who are J, how could they be more similar to "Arab or Caucasoid " as opposed to other Africans.

Regards.

Posts: 107 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ What "other Africans" are they compared to?
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what they mean!! The classic West African "negro". Glider should jump on this.

As I said. If I were the Gliders and Eurocentrics. This where I would attack. Seperate the East Africans from the West Africans. The Nordic AE is such a stupid strategy.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
You know what they mean!! The classic West African "negro". Glider should jump on this.

As I said. If I were the Gliders and Eurocentrics. This where I would attack. Seperate the East Africans from the West Africans. The Nordic AE is such a stupid strategy.

Evergreen Writes:

Are East and West Africans more distinct from each other than Northern and Southern Europeans when appropriately modeled?

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The classic Southern European may be more different to the Northern European than the West and East Africans.

Dark eyes, dark hair, dark skin, curly/straight hair. Short? While the northern Europeans are the opposite.

But you probably missed my point.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
The classic Southern European may be more different to the Northern European than the West and East Africans.

Dark eyes, dark hair, dark skin, curly/straight hair. Short? While the northern Europeans are the opposite.

But you probably missed my point.

Evergreen Writes:

Yes, I missed the point. What is the point of this? I don't see any new information in this post.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a study of HLA genes, apparently conducted in Britain, so I want to know who was studied.

"You know what they mean", is not the answer to this question.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Burhan:
Interesting.
In light of the fact that majority of the Somalis belong to haplogroup E3b1 unlike Arabs who are J, how could they be more similar to "Arab or Caucasoid " as opposed to other Africans.

Evergreen Writes:

What's interesting to me about the Horn of Africa populations and E3b1 is that the haplogroup E3b1 seems to have derived first among populations in Late Paleolithic Southern Egypt (Jebel Sahaba, etc.) that were of the broad, West African trend instead of the elongated, East African trend.

Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On that note there is no correlation between general phenotype and lineages: Fulani and Tutsi carry essentially E3a haplgroups and are linked genetically to West and Central Africans...And if I remember the underived E3b*-M35 is highest among Nilo-Saharan Datoga:
History of Click-Speaking Populations of Africa Inferred from mtDNA and Y Chromosome Genetic Variation
Sarah A. Tishkoff* et al.

The Datog population from Tanzania carries exceptionally high frequencies of E3b1-M35 (54–63%)

They also tend to be broad faced:
 -

Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets anyone get it twisted the "broad trend" isn't necessarily the modal phenotype for West Africans.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burhan,
Many Somalis in England are usually from Northern Somalia that was colonized by the British, so you will find a lot of Issaq and Darods, who are more mixed with Yemeni compare to Central and Southern Somalis like the Hawiye, Digil and Rahawiin and some other clans...But I don't know any study done on specific clans...so I can't draw any conclusion....

Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
quote:
Lets anyone get it twisted the "broad trend2 isn't necessarily the modal phenotype for West Africans.
Agreed...it's Evergreen who started it...
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Habari:
On that note there is no correlation between general phenotype and lineages...

Evergreen Writes:

I doubt this. There is a likely correlation between phenotype and lineage. What is missing are the neccessary inputs to develop an appropriate correlation model.

Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
As you put it there is not enough information to derive correlations...so far no correlations between lineages and phenotype..
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Burhan,
Many Somalis in England are usually from Northern Somalia that was colonized by the British, so you will find a lot of Issaq and Darods, who are more mixed with Yemeni compare to Central and Southern Somalis like the Hawiye, Digil and Rahawiin and some other clans...But I don't know any study done on specific clans...so I can't draw any conclusion....

What is your proof that these groups are mixed with yemenis. Any studies.

The study used subjects from What is now called Somaliland.

Regards.

Mowlid

Posts: 107 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
The study used subjects from What is now called Somaliland.
What is the source of 'other africans' they were supposedly compared to?
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

This is a very good question. They did not mention it, which may lead to some sort of bias.

Knowing how they define "African" would have given us a glimpse of their thinking.

I would suspect other Africans in the same region would cluster just as closely and perhaps even closer to each other than the "Arabs or caucations" they mention.

Regards.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
quote:

Evergreen Writes:

I doubt this. There is a likely correlation between phenotype and lineage. What is missing are the neccessary inputs to develop an appropriate correlation model.

To what lineages do you correlate the elongated morphology?
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
I would think they were comparing to other Africans in Subsaharan Africa save the Horn region. This is pure speculation, of course.

Regards

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
I would suspect other Africans in the same region would cluster just as closely and perhaps even closer to each other than the "Arabs or caucations" they mention.

Regards.

As would I.

Sun Tzu: Warefare is a psychological contest, where the battle is won/or lost before the 'fighting' begins.

I once witnessed a debate over whether Ancient Egyptian were more likened to African or European.

For evidence of African affinity the Eurocentrist specified 'sub-sahara'.

For evidence of European affinity the Eurocentrist proceded to show 'eurasia'.

The Africanist attempted to 'counter' by meeting the Eurocentrist requirement of proof of sub-saharan affinity.

He'd already lost this debate.

Africa is all of Africa.

Europe is not *EurAsia.*

On terms where Africa is constricted to 1/2 it's size, and Europe is monumentally 'bloated' to 10 times its geography, then the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

You must force a fair debate, and DISALLOW a biased one -> win the War *before* the fighting begins.

Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Burhan, are you from Somaliland?
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

This is a very good question. They did not mention it, which may lead to some sort of bias.

Knowing how they define "African" would have given us a glimpse of their thinking.

Regards.

On the other hand, The subjects may all be of K2 derivation. But still, I would imagine they will cluster closely with their neighbors vis-a-vis across the sea.

Regards.

Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
quote:

Evergreen Writes:

To what lineages do you correlate the elongated morphology?
Evergreen Writes:

I correlate no lineages to the elongated morphology because I have not done a correlation analysis. This does not mean it can't be done. In addition the drill down would have to be to the sub-lineage level. But certainly morphology can be correlated with environment and environment can be correlated with gene pool.

Araweelo
Member # 14322

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Araweelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Burhan,

Acually only 2,5% of all Somalis have arab lineages. The rest are not mixed with Arabs.
Posts: 75 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
What is your source?
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Regards.

-------------------------------------------------

Rasol,

In response to our earlier exchanges in which I raised the possibility of bias in the study due to the fact that all of the samples were in essence “African” despite their differentiation into Somali versus other Africans. I have attempted to investigate the above-cited study further by contacting the Authors of the study through email correspondence.

They have denied any bias in their study and their contention was that they have compared Somali samples to other “African” samples pooled from studies conducted on “Africans” from throughout Africa as well as some “African Americans”.

In summary:
They claim that they conducted an “Allelic distributions and interlocus linkage disequilibria comparison” of the above mentioned populations. They claim that the “Africans” and “African American “ samples exhibited the characteristics alleles of “Africans” as characterized by (A-66, 74, 8001), (B-1510, 35, 42), (DRB1-0302, 0804, 1202, 1304, 1503), (DPB1-0101, 1701, 1801, 3901)as opposed to the Somalis.......refer to the Somali alleles above. Also the diversity seen in A, B and DRB1 were so significant to indicate the “African” origin of the alleles versus Somalis.

Regards

Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Regards.

Evergreen Writes:

It should be noted that this is not a peer-reviewed study, but a short presentation given at a symposium.

rasol
Member # 4592

I never implied that the authors were biased.

I merely asked what other African populations were sampled besides Somali.

This question was not really answered.

Without the answer to this question it is impossible for the reader [or the authors] to imply much of anything.

Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
quote:
I never implied that the authors were biased.

Did I say that?

In fact what I said was that I raised the possibility of bias myself.

quote:
I merely asked what other African populations were sampled besides Somali.

This question was not really answered.

I think they did answer it by claiming that they compared Somalis with “Africans” from across Africa. They have gone further to include Afro-Americans. But this is besides the point.

The point is the very fact that they compare Somalis to “Africans” as though Somalis are not Africans. The fact of the matter is that Africans vary in skin color (from North to south) and race-as evidenced by the various haplogroups.

The underlying point they wanted to get across was basically that Somalis are not black. This is the point, in my view, that merits discussion.

Regards

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
rasol: I never implied that the authors were biased.
quote:
Burhan: Did I say that?
You referenced 'our' exchanges.

Your words could be taken to imply that you contacted the author "on my behalf" with and inquiry into -bias-.

I am glad you have further clarified that this is not the case. Thanks.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
I think they did answer it by claiming that they compared Somalis with “Africans” from across Africa.
This doesn't answer my question, of course....what silly remarks you make sometimes. [Roll Eyes]
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
The underlying point they wanted to get across was basically that Somalis are not black.
Uh, no. This is you putting your words in their mouths, which is precisely why I want as much distance as possible between anything I said, and your contrived agenda. [Cool]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Of course, I am weary of any study that uses the terms 'Arab' to describe populations let alone 'caucasoid'!

But yes, it seems to be the usual b.s. these so-called experts pull with the Egyptians in that they compare them with what they call 'Africans' yet never specify the exact populations they used since there are many African populations! The fact that they don't match 'Africans' is no doubt due to the fact they didn't use neighboring or closely related African groups since Egyptians and definitely Somalis are also Africans!

And no doubt by 'Arab' or even 'caucasoid' they mean populations of southern Arabia and especially Yemen, even though such regions have recieved gene flow from Africa in the past millennia.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burhan don't worry about rasol. He's still smarting from two of the all time greatest beatdowns in the history of Egyptsearch from DougM and Yonis respectively.

I will post links to those epic psychologically sound thrashings later. hahahahahahaha

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Speaking of 'psychologically sound' or in your case lack thereof, what's your excuse? [Embarrassed]
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Of course, I am weary of any study that uses the terms 'Arab' to describe populations let alone 'caucasoid'!

But yes, it seems to be the usual b.s. these so-called experts pull with the Egyptians in that they compare them with what they call 'Africans' yet never specify the exact populations they used since there are many African populations! The fact that they don't match 'Africans' is no doubt due to the fact they didn't use neighboring or closely related African groups since Egyptians and definitely Somalis are also Africans!

And no doubt by 'Arab' or even 'caucasoid' they mean populations of southern Arabia and especially Yemen, even though such regions have recieved gene flow from Africa in the past millennia.

^ That's why, since it is not a peer review study and devoid of specifics for population, it is a mistake to overreact to it. Especially based on assumptions never verified, and so easily denied.
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Argyle: Burhan don't worry about rasol.
quote:
Djehuti writes: Speaking of 'psychologically sound' or in your case lack thereof, what's your excuse?
^Good call.

What worries Argyle, just for fun. [Big Grin]

- He is the man most afraid offering doubtful reassurance to others when the real issue is *his own fear.*

- He is the man most beat-down, forever seeking solice in a *revenge* that *never materialises.*

Argyle you -try too hard- to be annoying, and that's why the irrelevant bitter venom you spew doesn't help your condition.

"Don't worry", Argyle, your next troll attempt will fair better. No really, it will. No worries.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On that note there is no correlation between general phenotype and lineages: Fulani and Tutsi carry essentially E3a haplgroups and are linked genetically to West and Central Africans...And if I remember the underived E3b*-M35 is highest among Nilo-Saharan Datoga:
History of Click-Speaking Populations of Africa Inferred from mtDNA and Y Chromosome Genetic Variation
Sarah A. Tishkoff* et al.

The Datog population from Tanzania carries exceptionally high frequencies of E3b1-M35 (54–63%)

They also tend to be broad faced:
 -

Nice
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Indeed, this is a crucial question as well as which Arabs were they compared to as we all know the populations of Arabia are diverse. We know southern Arabia, especially Yemen carry lineages from East Africa.

This is why whenever studies citing affinities between East Africans and Southwest Asians especially a generalized group like 'Arabs' should be called into question.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com