EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » VERY OT: I'm going to Paris very soon, is there anything "Moorish" to see there? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: VERY OT: I'm going to Paris very soon, is there anything "Moorish" to see there?
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always a nice trip but a bit boring seeing the same old things. Are there any hidden gems in paris to see? perhaps not often mentioned?

Thanks.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honi B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been to Mosquee de Paris?

-

The architecture is Moorish and is inspired by the famous Alhambra in Spain. White walled exteriors are interspersed with exquisite mosaics and the central minaret rises to a height of almost 100 feet. The woodwork adorning the mosques internal courtyards is stunningly carved and the dark colour of the wood - eucalyptus and cedar - contrasts beautifully with the white exterior.
Source

Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Thanks Honi B!!! you're amazing [Smile]
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honi B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Such a nice compliment,(Thank you! The pleasure's all mine,really.) [Cool]
Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I can't make a contribution as relevant
as Honi B's, I will say that Africana is robust
enough to include a little about France. So, if
you will, indulge me.

Charles Martel kept the Moors a good 140 miles
away from Paris by defeating them at Tours. But
by 1610 Henry IV had invited perhaps a million
Moors to settle in the south of France after the
expulsion from the Iberian peninsula. Auvergnese
was the most heavily Moorish populated place in
France.

Some Frenchmen reported to be of this stock are
Bertrand du Guesclin
Joachim Murat
Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte
Pierre Laval

Surprisingly, Louis XIV refused to exchange the
Barbary corsairs in his hold for those French
captives Mulai Ismael offered in their stead.

What may also not be so well known is that France did
have major slave trade entrepot at the port of Nantes.
This eventually made a problem in Paris from mulato
foundlings of both black and white mothers numbering
nearly 1,500. It was big enough a problem that Louis
XV hit on a plan to expel all the blacks to Cayenne.

From 1685 - 1820 marriages of blacks and whites was
illegal in France as a spillover effect of Haiti's
Code Noir. Josephine had Napoleon rescind the law
so that one of her black servants could marry a
white girl.

Despite whatever effect the Cayenne expulsion had
there were enough in France in Murat's time that
one of his regiments was all black except for some
Greeks and Neapolitans of the same colour as per

A. G. Cheney

Negro Soldiers in Murat's Army

New Service v169: London, 1913

Besides General Alexander Dumas commander of the
cavalry, Napoleon supposedly had up to eleven more
other generals of inner African descent. Napoleon's
hundreds of black officers turned against him when
he re-instated slavery in Haiti.

France had the usual complaints whites make about
"their negroes." Too much money, sportin' pimped
out limos, white maids and butlers. And of course,
ahem, Y wimmens. "There will soon be no other than
mulattoe in France!" (A. Aulard, Paris sous le Consulat)

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think l'Institut du Monde Arabe is one of the best place to start here are few links, just click on the pdf document:
Address:
1, rue des fossés Saint-Bernard
Place Mohammed V
75236 PARIS CEDEX 05
Tél. 01 40 51 38 38
Fax 01 43 54 76 45
Serveur vocal 01 40 51 38 11
http://www.imarabe.org/temp/expos-itinerantes/al-andalous_id.html
http://www.imarabe.org/temp/expos-itinerantes/enluminure_id.html

There is also an Islamic Art Department at Le Louvre: here is the link:
http://www.louvre.fr/llv/oeuvres/presentation_departement.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673211731&CURRENT_LLV_FICHE%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673211731&CURRENT_LLV_DEP%3C%3Efolder_id=1 408474395181076&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9852723696500768&bmLocale=en

Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the beautiful culture of my half ancestors, the Moors.
Posts: 1106 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know that your ancestors are the Moors?
Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Habari:
How do you know that your ancestors are the Moors?

Well, Puertorican is not a race, is a nationality,the dna test will help me, but for now, i only assume, because i don't have a family history or any proof of an exact ancestry, i only know i am mixed.
Posts: 1106 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Good for you...for the sake of this forum, get some DNA test...so we can know for sure that you have some Moor ancestry otherwise: they say in French: C'est de la masturbation intellectuelle...just pick up a dictionary and you will figure out...
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
Good for you...for the sake of this forum, get some DNA test...so we can know for sure that you have some Moor ancestry otherwise: they say in French: C'est de la masturbation intellectuelle...just pick up a dictionary and you will figure out...

yes, i understood some part of it,but stop being so aggresive, chill your black blood out.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I just can't understand how you can crave yet hate your blackness all in the same breath! [Eek!]

Your frustration is like that of a man with a hot naked lady spreadeagled before him, but unable to get it up lol [Big Grin]

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! HA! HA! HA!

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by H*O*R*I*Z*O*N^*^H*O*R*U*S:
^I just can't understand how you can crave yet hate your blackness all in the same breath! [Eek!]

Your frustration is like that of a man with a hot naked lady spreadeagled before him, but unable to get it up lol [Big Grin]

i didn't say I hate my blackness,but remember, I am mixed and i am not into the "pride" thing.i am not fustrated,i am not that emotional and sensitive as youall are with your black pride and you all get angry when you see people who don't praise your ethnicity.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^some black people on this forum sometimes get angry when someone insults their ethnicity.

Nobody is asking for praise, it's all going on in your head [Wink]

scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
^some black people on this forum sometimes get angry when someone insults their ethnicity.

Nobody is asking for praise, it's all going on in your head [Wink]

yes, all of you want to feel superior to anyone else, denigrating mixed bloods telling them "mongrels" because my parents loved each other being them of a different ethnicity both,and talking about pureness and crap.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^you're an idiot. I'm very very much at home with so-called "mixed bloods" [Roll Eyes] .

In fact, I'm about to marry one:

-

scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
^you're an idiot. I'm very very much at home with so-called "mixed bloods" [Roll Eyes] .

In fact, I'm about to marry one:

-

Congragulations, then, but what about the others, do they think like you?
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^dude, the "others" don't have to date mixed race women to prove that ... never mind, you won't get it [Embarrassed]
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
^dude, the "others" don't have to date mixed race women to prove that ... never mind, you won't get it [Embarrassed]

No, but do they think like you,or they think they are the "race" unlike you?I see the one who isn't getting what I'm saying is you.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^you're right [Smile] .
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
^you're right [Smile] .

Uhum, you only get the emotionlal and subjective reaction, but you don't understand logic and objectivity I am afraid.When you people learn not to be so "proud" of your ethnicity, perhaps we will get along better,but if you all continue with your overriden pride and selfishness, things will not going to change.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
While I can't make a contribution as relevant
as Honi B's, I will say that Africana is robust
enough to include a little about France. So, if
you will, indulge me.

Charles Martel kept the Moors a good 140 miles
away from Paris by defeating them at Tours. But
by 1610 Henry IV had invited perhaps a million
Moors to settle in the south of France after the
expulsion from the Iberian peninsula. Auvergnese
was the most heavily Moorish populated place in
France.

Some Frenchmen reported to be of this stock are
Bertrand du Guesclin
Joachim Murat
Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte
Pierre Laval

Surprisingly, Louis XIV refused to exchange the
Barbary corsairs in his hold for those French
captives Mulai Ismael offered in their stead.

What may also not be so well known is that France did
have major slave trade entrepot at the port of Nantes.
This eventually made a problem in Paris from mulato
foundlings of both black and white mothers numbering
nearly 1,500. It was big enough a problem that Louis
XV hit on a plan to expel all the blacks to Cayenne.

From 1685 - 1820 marriages of blacks and whites was
illegal in France as a spillover effect of Haiti's
Code Noir. Josephine had Napoleon rescind the law
so that one of her black servants could marry a
white girl.

Despite whatever effect the Cayenne expulsion had
there were enough in France in Murat's time that
one of his regiments was all black except for some
Greeks and Neapolitans of the same colour as per

A. G. Cheney

Negro Soldiers in Murat's Army

New Service v169: London, 1913

Besides General Alexander Dumas commander of the
cavalry, Napoleon supposedly had up to eleven more
other generals of inner African descent. Napoleon's
hundreds of black officers turned against him when
he re-instated slavery in Haiti.

France had the usual complaints whites make about
"their negroes." Too much money, sportin' pimped
out limos, white maids and butlers. And of course,
ahem, Y wimmens. "There will soon be no other than
mulattoe in France!" (A. Aulard, Paris sous le Consulat)

Thanks mate [Smile] . I think I'm going to visit here now. I've always wanted to go there but something else always took priority...

quote:
The Palace of Versailles is famous across the world for its grandeur and draws tourists from far and wide who come to explore its lavish interiors and formal gardens. Built by Louis the XIV...
I'm only going for a weekend, so the Paris Mosque and Palace of Versailles should do the trick.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Young Horus Theme Song - Enjoy! [Big Grin]

-

scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
Young Horus Theme Song - Enjoy! [Big Grin]

-

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!That cool, man, black powa, black powa!!!!!
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Attention. - those have got to be the funniest string of (4) posts I've seen.)

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing "Moorish" there, but some interesting stuff still:

http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/accueil/index.html

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scv
Member # 14038

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Alive-(What Box):
(Attention. - those have got to be the funniest string of (4) posts I've seen.)

Good. [Wink]
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an interesting exhibition about the Phoenicians in the Institut du Monde Arabe, too.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^It was raining unfortunately.
Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Honi B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Wow!!Nice photos!
The Mosque seems larger than what I thought it would be and the tile work on the building is beautiful! I'll have to go and visit there myself some day (did you have lunch there? How was the food? lol) and who's that man in the 4th and 7th pictures?
Thanks for sharing your pics with us. [Smile]

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, verrry nice pics! [Smile]
Last time, I visited Paris was in May 2007.
I did something called 'Paris en vélo" with friends. Crossing Paris by bike for 1 day was fun. [Wink] Hope you had a nice time in spite of the rain.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The food was real nice, they had sweet pasteries outside the restaurant and a type of sweet green tea.

I don't know who that man is in the 4th,7th pics but I just had to take a picture of the dude [Smile] . Perhaps he had something to do with the library (which is where his picture is).

Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Honi B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to do a little research and find out who he is, I'm surpised there's not a nameplate on the picture, he looks to be pretty significant in the scheme of things there. Also, the (great) actor Keith David resembles him alot too,hmm..perhaps a movie? [Big Grin]
 -

Member # 11484

Rate Member
 -

-

-

-

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The man in this picture is Samory Toure, called the Napoleon of the Sudan by the French.

-

He was also a relative (great grandfather or grandfather) of Sekou Toure.

http://www.answers.com/topic/samori

Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
A better comparison:
 -
source

Thanks for the info. Doug M, interesting. Does Samory Toure have his hair in locs? or is that apart of his head scarf?

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really tell.
Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ No he does not have 'locks'. The wearing of 'dreadlocks' in most West African nations until recently was frowned upon, and those who wore it were viewed as 'outcasts' in that society.

Critically, Samori Turay was a Mandinga/Mandinka warrior-nationalist warlord. The Mande nations do not have a tradition of wearing 'dreadlocks'.

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Dreadlocks is one of the most common hairstyle in Africa, I think Tuareg, Fulani and some other groups in West Africa wear them, you can find them even in Southern Africa among the Himba, it was very common among Ancient Egyptians, Masai and Afars have dreadlocks:
 -

Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ 'Dreadlocks' is the mark of being an outcast people in West Africa.

The so called 'Tuaregs' and the Fula of West Afica do not wear dreadlocks.

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
an interesting feature of the sitting area under a tree outside
where they serve pastries, is the birds that insist on sharing your cake with you [Smile]

-

^not that I had any left to share [Big Grin]

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely pictures here, enjoy your trip.
Paris is wonderful.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^Thanks [Smile] .

I'll upload some pics from my meanderings at the Palace of Versailles soon as I can ...

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Member # 11484

Rate Member
a few pics from a short visit to Versailles ...

-

-

-

-

Wolofi
Member # 14892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Tres bien et tres drole!!!
Posts: 343 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Honi B:
^^Wow!!Nice photos!
The Mosque seems larger than what I thought it would be and the tile work on the building is beautiful! I'll have to go and visit there myself some day (did you have lunch there? How was the food? lol)...

I reckoned you should know, the pictures are high def so if you save them and open 'em up in 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' (comes with Win XP I think) or something you can really zoom in on them, make very large copies etc and still get good quality graphics.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com