EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Movie: 10,000 B.C.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie: 10,000 B.C.
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10,000 B.C.

PG-13 for sequences of intense action and violence

Teasers for an upcoming blockbuster scheduled for March 7, 2008.

(3 videos)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809724938/video

From director Roland Emmerich comes a sweeping odyssey into a mythical age of prophesies and gods, when spirits rule the land and mighty mammoths shake the earth. In a remote mountain tribe, the young hunter, D’Leh (Steven Strait), has found his heart’s passion – the beautiful Evolet (Camilla Belle). When a band of mysterious warlords raid his village and kidnap Evolet, D’Leh is forced to lead a small group of hunters to pursue the warlords to the end of the world to save her. Driven by destiny, the unlikely band of warriors must battle saber-tooth tigers and prehistoric predators and, at their heroic journey’s end, they uncover a Lost Civilization. Their ultimate fate lies in an empire beyond imagination, where great pyramids reach into the skies. Here they will take their stand against a powerful god who has brutally enslaved their people.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
10,000 B.C.

PG-13 for sequences of intense action and violence

Driven by destiny, the unlikely band of warriors must battle saber-tooth tigers and prehistoric predators and, at their heroic journey’s end, they uncover a Lost Civilization. Their ultimate fate lies in an empire beyond imagination, where great pyramids reach into the skies. Here they will take their stand against a powerful god who has brutally enslaved their people.

A pyramid building civilization that enslaves people? Where have we heard THAT before? That sounds like an offensive slur against ACTUAL pyramid building civilizations, most of whom never ACTUALLY slaved people......

I see a subliminal message here. Ancient pyramid building civilizations = savages who enslave people.....

Meanwhile the ACTUAL slave owners who built civilizations based on slavery are depicted as the HEROES.....

Go figure.

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would think 10k BC would have a lot of mostly black people in the world. Specially Europe and Africa.

Seen the 7-10 trailers. Real fantasy. Unfortunately most people will assume it is a real re-enactment. This is how it was. They can make movies entertaining with historical accurate facts. But it is always about the audience and dollars.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only seen the billboard. Not interesting.

Only an idiot or an ignoramous would believe
sabre tooths that large or massive pyramid
building in that era. Mostly everyone sees
it as nothing more than an enternaining
movie.

Whatever flaws it had Quest for Fire remains
the pre-hist movie folk would imagine as a
real statement of how it may have been back
then.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alTakruri - I hate to tell you this, but MOST people think that what they see on T.V. and in the Movies is True or Factually based, Especially Children..
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the adults and teens I know aren't "MOST people."

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I mentioned before and African friend who thinks slave owning Pharaohs have nothing to do with Africa, because they've seen the 10 commandments and all those European Egyptians with their Black and Jewish slaves.

Entertainment is a whole 'other' playing field on which Africa's history must be reclaimed.

It's power to shape our view of the world cannot be denied.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The sad part is burgeoning film industries like
Nollywood focus on entertainment ($$$) seldom
if ever presenting epics like the Ten Commandments.

They've missed the whole use of distributing
culture via film as the old Hollywood studios
more effectively colonized the world for USA
than armed conquest ever could and as USA TV
continues doing today.

Head side down nyash side up -- Fela

But from lesser West African nations we can
get the likes of Yeelen

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
I don't know. I mentioned before and African friend who thinks slave owning Pharaohs have nothing to do with Africa, because they've seen the 10 commandments and all those European Egyptians with their Black and Jewish slaves.

I know but don't you think this could be due to the socio-political atmosphere of today?

quote:
Entertainment is a whole 'other' playing field on which Africa's history must be reclaimed.

Definitely true.

It seems Asian culture is being nicely exported now due to the wide use and popularity of anime

...even faster than in Bollywood, despite Europeans having the monopoly of characters, especially early on.

It would be nice if there were some entertainment medium where this same thing could be done for Africa/ns.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey al ... do you know the name of that ... musical where they showed various peoples around the world playing their musical instruments and dancing?

It started out with people making music out of noise on their urban balconies, then went on to feature various people and musics especially African stuff.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the previews and I am at a lost as to the exact setting or settings of the story. As far as I know sabre-tooth cats were in North America. Mammoths ranged throughout Eurasia as well as the Americas. But I saw the lanscape where these pyramids were built and it was a desert area and considering these were pyramids I thought it was North Africa (even though the Sahara desert did not exist and North Africa was green).

So yeah nothing historically accurate here just movie fanfare.

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:

You would think 10k BC would have a lot of mostly black people in the world. Specially Europe and Africa...

LOL Again a failed understanding of European population history. Europeans probably weren't black that time either but before they even entered Europe.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see this movie last night. If you want to enjoy this, forget about historical accuracy. After all, this has a European tundra, an Asian rainforest, and an African desert all within a few days' walking distance, plus wooly mammoths being used to build pyramids (apparently without overheating under all that hair).

Other than that (as well as an anti-climatic Smilodon sequence), it was actually pretty fair for a stupid popcorn movie.

BTW, the pyramid-builders in this movie are NOT Egyptians. Their dress seems to be a mix of Tibetan and Mayan, they have various skin colors, and the dialogue suggests they either came from space or from a sunken continent.

Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Their dress seems to be a mix of Tibetan and Mayan, they have various skin colors, and the dialogue suggests they either came from space or from a sunken continent.
^ All true. [Wink]
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Naw. I missed out on that one altogether.

quote:
Originally posted by Alive-(What Box):
Hey al ... do you know the name of that ... musical where they showed various peoples around the world playing their musical instruments and dancing?

It started out with people making music out of noise on their urban balconies, then went on to feature various people and musics especially African stuff.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Mr "Brown but not black". Hope you realise how hypocritical you sound.
And BTW 10K BC(12kya) there is no white. . .. anybody. . . .dick . . . .even by your math.

Eurocentric!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
I've seen the previews and I am at a lost as to the exact setting or settings of the story. As far as I know sabre-tooth cats were in North America. Mammoths ranged throughout Eurasia as well as the Americas. But I saw the lanscape where these pyramids were built and it was a desert area and considering these were pyramids I thought it was North Africa (even though the Sahara desert did not exist and North Africa was green).

So yeah nothing historically accurate here just movie fanfare.

quote:

You would think 10k BC would have a lot of mostly black people in the world. Specially Europe and Africa...

LOL Again a failed understanding of European population history. Europeans probably weren't black that time either but before they even entered Europe.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Looking at this photo – At least the producers seem to get the large amount of black Africans right.. . . this time

-

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

WORD!!!
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
The sad part is burgeoning film industries like
Nollywood focus on entertainment ($$$) seldom
if ever presenting epics like the Ten Commandments.

They've missed the whole use of distributing
culture via film as the old Hollywood studios
more effectively colonized the world for USA
than armed conquest ever could and as USA TV
continues doing today.

Head side down nyash side up -- Fela

But from lesser West African nations we can
get the likes of Yeelen

WORD!!!

'been blasting that (Best Of) Fela for days in a row. That Egba spirit possessed me and wouldn't let go... it's really the drums that keep me intoxicated.

You know big bro, I was doing well selling Nigerian movies for a while online (up until 2007 in fact). I didn't takeover the world, but I did profit on average £200/month (i.e. after paying hosting fees and google ad-sense bills) [Smile] which was not bad at all for an infant business. My cousin cargo'd them into the UK from Lagos for me and my gf was dispatching the movies but we "gave up" when the UK African community online wasn't so appreciative (we got a buncha hate-ish emails from Nigerians complaining about price) and of course, £200 is less than me or my lady can command in a "professional" job's day's wage so we gave up on it so she could make bigger ends as a Project Manager.

It's so much work, for so little gain but ... a part of me wants to bring it back to life though...

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alive-(What Box):
[QUOTE]
It would be nice if there were some entertainment medium where this same thing could be done for Africa/ns.

You inspire me Alive, you inspire me!

There's a Nollywood movie just out - produced by a friend of mine - called "Area boys". You guys should cop that if you can, support the cause [Wink]

You know guys, Nollywood producers would make the right movies if they had good scriptwriters and better stories. It's not that they want to make bad quality movies, they just don't know better.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
@ Horus or anyone

how big is the Nigerian film industry? frequently visit a few african stores(Cameroon mostly) here and shelves are filled with DVD movies from Nigeria.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^It's very big. It follows Hollywood & Bollywood respectively in scale. It's shipped out in huge volumes all over West Africa. I don't like the name "Nollywood" though. Sounds stupid to me.

Yeah, there's a lot of low budget movies being put out on a near daily basis by producers in Lagos city. It is Nigeria's #1 form of visual entertainment but it panders to a neo-colonialism mindset. There is potential to make huge sums of money as the demand is high - in the UK, damn near every Nigerian or African or West-Indian (Jamaicans mostly) home has at least a VCD copy of a Nigerian film lying about. The DEMAND is most definitely there, but for some reason nobody is really stepping up to the plate. Probably financing reasons.

I got into it with the aim of channeling my profits into the production of better quality movies but soon as I got into it, the value went down. I was selling them for £4.99 a piece online in 2006 but in Peckham (Nigeria's domain in London), you can now get 3 for £5 in the markets.
Nigerians just don't "value" the industry as they always look down on it as some sort of under-the-radar thing. I beg to differ though, most Africans would gladly watch it instead of Hollywood movies if the overall quality improved.

My heart's definitely still in it. I'm waiting on the right time to move.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let them look to poor Mali and Yeelen and La Genese.
But award winning movies don't feed an industry (and
it's employees' families). If it's not economically viable
it won't succeed and if the buying public wants schlock
instead of culture, why bother with a losing proposition?

quote:
Originally posted by HORUS^*^:

You know guys, Nollywood producers would make the right movies if they had good scriptwriters and better stories. It's not that they want to make bad quality movies, they just don't know better.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^where can I buy these films online?

Another problem is that the properly trained Nigerian filmmakers either don't find jobs or find jobs abroad. The "hustlers" are in control regarding Nigerian films and they aren't usually qualified for filmmaking.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
If it's not economically viable
it won't succeed and if the buying public wants schlock
instead of culture, why bother with a losing proposition?

Yeah this is exactly why I "gave up". I felt like I was trying to help a market that didn't want to be helped.

But still ... I don't believe it's really the market that's the problem but the "channel of distribution". Also, it could be that I just didn't market my business hard enough. With the right money, I would engineer a brand that Africans everywhere can embrace, I would takeover all advertisement on OBE TV (Ghana Cable TV) and BEN TV(Nigerian Cable TV).Put my brand up in the hundreds of African restaurants* all over London (Europe?). With a few years worth of media pummeling, they'd get the message.

The African market would follow suite since anything Blacks in the diaspora embrace, native Africans tend to embrace too [Wink]

*Fyi: African restaurants are very helpful with African businesses; many top Nigerian restaurants in London (Buka, Mama Calabar etc) happily and freely distributed my flyers when I had my online thing going. They never asked me for anything in return.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Off topic:

alTakruri, could you recommend some African music on par with the quality of Fela Kuti?

I've heard some Mali* guys, damn, those guys rock the bells! Very similar to Hausa music. There is a musician by name of Youssef (sp?) I think, whose jams are off the meter. Popular world music he seems.

I can only listen to Fela Kuti and Jay-Z's new product 'American Gangstar' for so long. I need some fresh sounds in my ear dammit.

*Do you guys make Suya in Mali? It is Nigeria's #1 delicacy right now but I believe the Hausa people introduced it to the rest of us.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Agreed there may be a demand. Even saw my mom, getting into it. Was suprised. Said she was fed up of the hollywood movies.

Tried looking at a couple myself but just couldn't get into it. Reminds me of my home movies.

Maybe it is the few I saw but the production quality needs to improve.

quote:
There is potential to make huge sums of money as the demand is high - in the UK, damn near every Nigerian or African or West-Indian (Jamaicans mostly) home has at least a VCD copy of a Nigerian film lying about. The DEMAND is most definitely there, but for some reason nobody is really stepping up to the plate. Probably financing reasons.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^Yes, production quality is the chief culprit.

Like I said, the industry is not run by professionals but by hustlers. These guys shoot "blockbusting" movies in 24 hours (i.e. home movies) and that s*** sells!!!

Mostly, the actors are from a known pool who have been doing it for decades. The extras are anyone they find loitering around on set. Literally.

That in itself proves the demand is overwhelming.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Maybe you should try it. You know that is where a major turn around needs to occur.

We need good film production companies/people with the right perspective.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Actually I can't, but Masakela starting from
Hedzoleh Soundz is pretty good and he shows
some conscious but nowhere near Fela's level
on I Am Not Afraid and Colonial Man and The
Boy's Doin' It

Outside of Rekpete on IHS you may not feel
an African flavor to the music. But earlier you
posted how the drum possesed you and it made
me think of the effect the song Ilako on King
Sunny Ade's Synchro System album has on me
(somehow he calls me and 2nd wife by name
near the end of the tune!) entranced and
possessed a complete slave of the rhythm.

Currently my taste in music is apolitical. I
listen mostly to baskingly reflect stages and
people in my life. Nowadays I listen for this,
pure enjoyment and dance. The selections I
chose in answering Ebony Allen and in the
slavery thread are throwbacks to my more
political days that I felt were good commentary
showing that music can be the message and
the message's best deliverer.

Somewhere, and maybe someone'll resurrect it,
Ausar started a lightweight thread for us to
share our choices in music, movies, and books.
Anyway, and without revealing too much personal
info -- which I don't like to do on public forums
for any stranger or hater to view -- you should
know I'm not Malien. As I often say my tag tells
all about me. I am al~Takruri. Being hamria the
cuisine side of me veers toward the Maghrebi part
of my heritage, tajines and couscous and harira
but yeah I slam down Tiebou djeun and love my Yassa too.

When I collect sounds now I just pick up various
artist CDs for the type of music I want to hear.
Yeahnit's usually a year old by the time it makes
it to such compilations but usually there's a
tune or two by an unheard artist on the CD. Late
night & wee hours of the morning college radio
is another source but it takes a ton of remote
recording and editing to filter down to what you
really want to keep and repeat.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but there are
plenty more continentals on board who I hope
will share their sounds.

Important note: all the new blood on board should
be preparing themselves to lead the forum now that
its taking on a new bent and persona, so you guys
and gals have gotta buckle down to doing the home
work and lacing your opinions with some supportive
reference sources while some of we veterans prepare
to go emeritus.
quote:
Off topic:

alTakruri, could you recommend some African music on par with the quality of Fela Kuti?

I've heard some Mali* guys, damn, those guys rock the bells! Very similar to Hausa music. There is a musician by name of Youssef (sp?) I think, whose jams are off the meter. Popular world music he seems.

I can only listen to Fela Kuti and Jay-Z's new product 'American Gangstar' for so long. I need some fresh sounds in my ear dammit.

*Do you guys make Suya in Mali? It is Nigeria's #1 delicacy right now but I believe the Hausa people introduced it to the rest of us.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe you should try it. You know that is where a major turn around needs to occur.

We need good film production companies/people with the right perspective.

I'm already wearing a few hats. Don't want to spread myself too thin (I did that before and got burnt-out, stressed-out). Excuses Excuses ... Lol.

But it's not off my radar. If the gods align my path with it, then I'll go for it.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but there are
plenty more continentals on board who I hope
will share their sounds.

Important note: all the new blood on board should
be preparing themselves to lead the forum now that
its taking on a new bent and persona, so you guys
and gals have gotta buckle down to doing the home
work and lacing your opinions with some supportive
reference sources while some of we veterans prepare
to go emeritus.

It is quite interesting how you apologise for not helping while helping tremendously.

King Sunny Ade ... alot of history there I shouldn't even go into as it has always occured to me that I should be more careful with my personal information. Let's just say he's so close to home and ubiquitous in my life, that I've never cared to really listen to what he's saying in his songs. Will do now ...

I have HOWEVER, thrown a few red herrings out there in the past few months, to keep (if) any haters busy [Wink]

Sometimes I wonder about this forum...

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ But don't be surprised if all the blacks in the movie are just servants and the 'god-king' ordering all those pyramids being built (in North Africa?) is still a white or off-black man. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^But I don't understand what you mean [Confused]  -
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ But don't be surprised if all the blacks in the movie are just servants and the 'god-king' ordering all those pyramids being built (in North Africa?) is still a white or off-black man. [Big Grin]

Although the god-king is indeed white (I've seen the movie), I recall him having a couple of black people among his high priests, who in general were a multiracial lot.
Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ So pray tell how this white man became a proto-pharaoh in North Africa 10,000 BC??

Ah the wonders of Hollywood mythmaking!

Too bad you don't see a black man as mighty nordic king in epics that take place in Europe like 'Lord of the Rings'. Then again you don't see any black men at all... (unless you count the urukhai??)

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ So pray tell how this white man became a proto-pharaoh in North Africa 10,000 BC??

Too bad you don't see a black man as mighty nordic king in epics that take place in Europe like 'Lord of the Rings'. Then again you don't see any black men at all... (unless you count the urukhai??)

Othello

The rest have to be shown in the form of jungle animals (Lion King)

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neith-Athena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That bit about the colonial mindset is very true, at least from what I have seen. I watched a Nigerian movie at the house of a Yoruba family last year. I think it was called "Beyonce" as in the singer, or the lead character was called Beyonce. And basically it was a pathetic story about how the title character, a mulatto, was in love with a man who was in love with a darker-skinned girl. The mulatto killed the darker-skinned girl (or some such lousy business to get rid of her as competition), and the guy ended up with her (the mulatto). Ugh. Pathetic. And the parents have a beautiful, very intelligent daughter, less than 10 years old, who is dark-skinned. I do not want to think about the damage to her self-esteem that such idiotic movies might cause.

But an Indian guy once told me that in Bollywood actors and dancers use skin-lightening creams, so Indians also have the same inferiority complex of colonized peoples around the world.

quote:
^It's very big. It follows Hollywood & Bollywood respectively in scale. It's shipped out in huge volumes all over West Africa. I don't like the name "Nollywood" though. Sounds stupid to me.

Yeah, there's a lot of low budget movies being put out on a near daily basis by producers in Lagos city. It is Nigeria's #1 form of visual entertainment but it panders to a neo-colonialism mindset. There is potential to make huge sums of money as the demand is high - in the UK, damn near every Nigerian or African or West-Indian (Jamaicans mostly) home has at least a VCD copy of a Nigerian film lying about. The DEMAND is most definitely there, but for some reason nobody is really stepping up to the plate. Probably financing reasons.

I got into it with the aim of channeling my profits into the production of better quality movies but soon as I got into it, the value went down. I was selling them for £4.99 a piece online in 2006 but in Peckham (Nigeria's domain in London), you can now get 3 for £5 in the markets.
Nigerians just don't "value" the industry as they always look down on it as some sort of under-the-radar thing. I beg to differ though, most Africans would gladly watch it instead of Hollywood movies if the overall quality improved.

My heart's definitely still in it. I'm waiting on the right time to move.

Posts: 140 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You mean people STILL believe that movie after Zawi Hiwass(The Arab Supremist) came and said the Pyramids was a national project and the workers recieved royal burials..
Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Remember the Nordic sailed from their Frozen Taundra and set up civilization in Greece, Italy(Rome) and Africa..also China and India....lol but FORGOT to set up a signifigant civilization of their own on their Frozen Taundra(Scandanavia) until the Romans forced them UHHM I mean RE-Forced them into civilization...lol.

Imagine if a movie about Greece or the Vikings had a black king...lol...these double standard whites would piss their pants whinning ang bit@@ig like they did with Black Athena(A idiotic book but ture in some parts)

Any way, it is Hollywood...look at that Fag Fest "300" man I thought I was looking at the Spartan version of Chipendales or something when I saw 300 (On Bootlef THANK GOD)...I mean they turned Xerxes one of the most Brillian rules of Antiqity into a 8 foot queer with black slaves...being killed by 300 Pale skinned Spartans..

or the Mummy that turned the name of Imhotep( A Doctor, Scribe and Architect of intellegence) into a Childish Monster

And whats is even more pathetic is that Idiot Americans believe the Garbage of Hollywood....II tried to explain to my (Black) co-workers that Xerxes was not some Giant Golden Homosexual..but a leader of Great improtance..Lol..that went well

What will they think of next...A Blond ethiopian civilization..Led by a White Ethiopian Sheba..lol

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com