EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » East Africa: Bahaya from Tanzania first to invent steel 2000BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: East Africa: Bahaya from Tanzania first to invent steel 2000BC
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
East African Iron Technology
Iron technology has a long history in Africa. Steel is an alloy of iron. A high quality carbon steel was produced by the Bahaya people nearly 2000 thousand years ago. The Bahaya people are from the north-west area of what is now Tanzania, in East Africa.
This quality of steel was not found in Europe until about the year 1800. The iron ore used by the Bahaya people had the formula Fe304.This was added to the top of the furnace with charcoal, as the source of carbon. The air entered the furnace through blow-pipes at the bottom. In this way the air was preheated, which improved the yield and quality of the iron. The temperature reached in the furnace was 1800°C.

Iron Technology in East Africa: Symbolism, Science, and Archaeology
by Peter R. Schmidt

Peter R. Schmidt distills more than twenty years of research and scholarship into this major work on the history and culture of iron technology in East Africa from ancient times to the present. Although archaeologists have long held that ironmaking spread from a single point of origin in Europe, Schmidt shows that African iron smelting developed independently, based on the use of indigenous natural resources and local invention. Schmidt recounts the reenactment of traditional iron smelting by elders of the Haya people in northwestern Tanzania. Through analysis of the chemistry and metallurgy of the smelting process, he demonstrates the genius of African iron technology. The rich symbolism surrounding traditional methods of iron production sheds light on the history of iron technology and reveals its central cultural role.

Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess AE were dumber than East African Bahaya...
Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just say Bahaya were smart?
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Great find. Where on the Internet did you find this?

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

The kind of metal you use doesn't necessarily reflect your inherent intelligence. It can be a question of what resources were available, and in what quantities. For instance, Egypt doesn't have a lot of native iron deposits, so it isn't surprisingly that they lacked iron tools for most of their history.
Posts: 7080 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, that resources have to first be available, so as to enable one to make regular or sufficient use of it, but it is also true that creativity is what's behind this...

...A high quality carbon steel was produced by the Bahaya people nearly 2000 thousand years ago....

This quality of steel was not found in Europe until about the year 1800.

...made possible by this "process" or "method"...

The iron ore used by the Bahaya people had the formula Fe304. This was added to the top of the furnace with charcoal, as the source of carbon. The air entered the furnace through blow-pipes at the bottom. In this way the air was preheated, which improved the yield and quality of the iron. The temperature reached in the furnace was 1800°C.

...which in fact, does reflect intelligence!

In other words, to make that *quality* of steel, one required intelligence, because it implies that a more refined process was used to achieve the extraordinary quality, which would have otherwise not been the case if it were just an ordinary/cruder-state product invented either by accident or via cruder production concepts.

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tryo misquotes:
quote:

^ Of course I didn't write the above, but rather the response to it....

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
Why not just say Bahaya were smart?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The title of this thread is wrong. The article cited says 2000 years AGO not 2000 BC
Posts: 833 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Correct. Thanks for the correction...
Wolofi
Member # 14892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did Africans use steel for if not for building like the most of the so called developed world uses steel today for.

I mean non Africans have contempt for African by saying it is mud hut land and this is because they use steel to build. But the evidence shows steel was utilized a very long time ago in Africa before anywhere else.

What did they use it for? Did they make weapons with it and if they didn't why not? And why did they not use it to build with?

I have always wondered this.

Posts: 343 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Woof Woof Weef Weef Wee:

aka Wolofi

aka vida (the white boy)

Your skin is baggy
Your skin is thick
Sucking your white girl's tits
Has got to make you sick

ooooooohoooooohoooooooooo

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolofi:
What did Africans use steel for if not for building like the most of the so called developed world uses steel today for.

I mean non Africans have contempt for African by saying it is mud hut land and this is because they use steel to build. But the evidence shows steel was utilized a very long time ago in Africa before anywhere else.

What did they use it for? Did they make weapons with it and if they didn't why not? And why did they not use it to build with?

If you're asking why Africans weren't using steel to build Sky Scrapers like 2,000 years ago, then I must ask you why'd you stop taking your medication? [Smile]

Weef Woof, I am starting to see the same light as others and I don't believe that you're African. I honestly think you're a white European in Black face.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ In that regard, he isn't the only one... LOL
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolofi
Member # 14892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolofi:

If you're asking why Africans weren't using steel to build Sky Scrapers like 2,000 years ago, then I must ask you why'd you stop taking your medication? [Smile]

Weef Woof, I am starting to see the same light as others and I don't believe that you're African. I honestly think you're a white European in Black face.

Dude could you please stop with the feminine paranoia. I asked a sincere question what did Africans use steel for in ANCIENT TIMES!!!!!!! Not today idiot

And Djehuty, just a forum ago all of these Akatas were attacking you while I was defending you, but now you want to ride their di cks?

So, am I supposed to suspect that you are a masochistic homosexual that likes pain from black di ck or something?

I thought you were mature, please don't disappoint me.

Posts: 343 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com