EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Is R. A. Schwaller de Lubicz a CREDIBLE source of information on AE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is R. A. Schwaller de Lubicz a CREDIBLE source of information on AE?
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
René A. Schwaller de Lubicz (1887 – 1961), born in Alsace-Lorraine, was best known for his 15-year study of the art and architecture of Temple of Luxor in Egypt and his subsequent book The Temple of Man (ISBN 0-89281-021-1). In the book, he explored the connectedness of ancient Egyptian philosophy, spirituality, mathematics, and science.

He was given the title "de Lubicz" by the Lithuanian writer and diplomat Oscar Vladislas de Lubicz Milosz.[citation needed]

His background is that of an alchemist, inspired by Paracelsus and other such "masters of the craft" (as it is declared in the foreword of The Temple of Man) and, as such, he taught groups of people inclined to accept that approach to the study of nature.

He is known for his role in outlining what is known as sacred Egyptian architecture. His elucidation of the temple at Luxor and his presentation of the Egyptian understanding of a special quality of innate consciousness form a bridge that attempts to link the sacred science of the Ancients to its what some people consider its rediscovery in our own time. In his chief work, The Temple of Man, he proposes, and argues in great detail, for an interpretation of the Egyptian outlook rooted in numerological and geometrical mysticism; in several of his other works, he makes a corresponding case for the metaphysical richness of various mathematical concepts. As with much ancient mathematics, Egyptian research became quite complex; what can be drawn from that complexity remains subject to debate.

His arguments are controversial today among modern Egyptologists. He is considered by some contemporary mystics to be one of the more important philosophers, mathematicians, and Egyptologists of the twentieth century.[citation needed] His work is not accepted at all by the scientific community, as he foresaw, and mentioned in his books. The scientific community hardly, if ever, mentions his work.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_A._Schwaller_de_Lubicz
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The temple of Man is mainly about mathematical concepts that he feels were 'encoded' into the structure itself. Many scholars treat his work with skepticism because none of his ideas can be confirmed through direct first hand written records from AE texts. The other part of the problem is that many scholars do not give the AE much credit for having any sort of advanced math to begin with, which is why they have a hard time with many new agers and numerologists who see ancient numerical wisdom 'encoded' in AE structures. Therefore, while they may respect the level of research, most do not seem to agree with his orientation on the subject of AE mathematics.

I have read some of his stuff and while some of it is reasonable, some of it goes overboard and seems far fetched.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Thanks for your response Doug, as always.

How authentic are these proverbs translated into English by him (apparently)?

http://www.duboislc.org/html/Proverbs.html

I've been reading them over and over again for more than a year now.

I'm currently reading this book by his wife:
The Opening of the Way: A Practical Guide to the Wisdom Teachings of Ancient Egypt

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are various maxims and "proverbs" that were developed during the history of AE. The biblical book of proverbs probably is a result of many of the wise teachings from AE. These texts were mainly teachings from one generation to the next and those that have survived are the teachings for young princes and nobility on how to run the nation as well as general wise sayings for persons of any rank. They foreshadow Machiavelli and the book of proverbs by many thousands of years. Many of the AE wise texts go back to the old kingdom and you can get books on various translations of AE wise texts at a good bookstore. Many others are also found in more scholarly circles as well.

I cannot say for sure whether these sayings are 100% authentic, but they do indeed sound similar to those I have seen.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here read this particular book?

The Opening of the Way - by Isha Schwaller De Lubicz

If you have, what are your thoughts on it?

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Many of the AE wise texts go back to the old kingdom and you can get books on various translations of AE wise texts at a good bookstore.

The Instruction of Prince Hardjedef
The Instruction Addressed to Kagemni
The Instruction of Ptahhotep

The Instruction of Ptah-Hotep

Ptah-hotep served during the reign of Izezi as a sage. His maxims are in the Prisse Papyrus which are in the Louvre. Another copy of these is in the British Museum. In these maxims, he has told his fellow Kemetian to conduct their affairs in a quiet and righteous manner. He encouraged them to be truthful and be kind and tolerant to their neighbors and fellow countrymen.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myra's pointing to the proper path of enlightenment.

Much better to read the straight up authentic
real thing than Euro-theosophist suppositions.

There was a time long ago when I valued books like
Her Bak but now I know better and understand it's
more the author's "channeling" than what transpired
in ancient Egypt.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

^ lol. truth.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kemetic religion embodies a system of spiritual cultivation, the way of enlightenment, the oldest in the world.

Kemetic Beliefs

It is about living a successful, glorious and peaceful life. They believe the purpose of our existence is to develop our spiritual selves, in ways that gives full expression to our divine power through the integration and balancing of all aspects of our spiritual selves, and the harmonizing of our relationships to the world and nature.

The purpose also was to create Maat (balance, harmony, justice, righteousness, reciprocity, and order). These are the key concepts in any ethical system, and they emerged first within the ancient Nile Valley of Africa.

The students aim in ancient Kemet was for a person to become "One with God." The path to the development of god-like qualities was through the development of virtues. These virtues were sought by the Kemites to become one with Maát (the cosmic order).

Control of thoughts;
Control of actions;
Devotion of purpose;
Have faith in the ability of your teacher to teach you the truth;
Have faith in yourself to assimilate the truth;
Have faith in yourself to wield the truth;
Be free from resentment under the experience of persecution;
Be free from resentment under the experience of wrong;
Cultivate the ability to distinguish between right and wrong; and
Cultivate the ability to distinguish between the real and the unreal

The Evolution of Enlightenment (ancient):

2450 BC: Old Kingdom Egypt gives us "the "Instruction of Kagemni" and the "Instruction of Ptah-hotep"

1900 BC: early Mesopotamia comes Instructions of Shuruppak, Sumerian texts

1500 BC: The Vedas, Hindu tradition, are a large corpus of texts originating in Ancient India.

500 BC: Buddhism

560 BC: Confucianism & Chinese Taoist philosophy

(All dates are approximated)

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Thanks Myra. [Smile]
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Myra's pointing to the proper path of enlightenment.

There was a time long ago when I valued books like
Her Bak but now I know better and understand it's
more the author's "channeling" than what transpired
in ancient Egypt.

I hear you Big Bro [Wink] . Thanks for the heads up.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Teachers!

Where can I buy the book(s) on the complete texts "Instruction of Ptah-hotep and Instruction of Kagemni" from an African website? I bought a book alTakruri sent me a link to (I think it was "From Plan to Planet Life Studies: The Need for Afrikan Minds and Institutions" - still on its way) a week or so ago but I can't remember the website's name.

I'm tempted to use Amazon but, I have decided to no longer buy Africana books from there. I've spent rediculously huge sums of money on there for the past 5 years - I don't think this is fair on the African booksellers nor is it in my best interest to continue to do so.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pass Down the Wisdom to the Generations

A son that hearkens is as a Follower of Horus. He is good after he hearkens; he grows old, he reaches honor and reverence. He repeats in like manner to his sons and daughters, so renewing the instruction of his father. Each man instructs as did his begetter, repeating it unto his children. Let them [in turn] speak with their sons and daughters, that they may be famous in their deeds. Let that which you speaks implant true things and just in the life of your children. Then the highest authority shall arrive, and sins depart [from them]. And such men as see these things shall say, 'Surely that man has spoken, to good purpose,' and they shall do likewise; or, 'But surely that man was experienced! And all people shall declare, ' It is they that shall direct the multitude ; dignities are not complete without them.'

Take not any word away, neither add one; set not one in the place of another. Beware of opening . . . in yourself.

Be wary of speech when a learned man hearkens unto you; desire to be established for good in the mouth of those that hear you speaking. If you have entered as an expert, speak with exact lips, that your conduct may be seemly.

Fantastic! [Smile]

Source: http://www.kenseamedia.com/encyclopedia/ppp/ptah_hotep_45.htm

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by HORUS^*^:
Teachers!

Where can I buy the book(s) on the complete texts "Instruction of Ptah-hotep and Instruction of Kagemni" from an African website? I bought a book alTakruri sent me a link to (I think it was "From Plan to Planet Life Studies: The Need for Afrikan Minds and Institutions" - still on its way) a week or so ago but I can't remember the website's name.

I'm tempted to use Amazon but, I have decided to no longer buy Africana books from there. I've spent rediculously huge sums of money on there for the past 5 years - I don't think this is fair on the African booksellers nor is it in my best interest to continue to do so.

Never mind peops, everything is online for free.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting how Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, the Vedas and Hinduism have survived as intrinsic parts of the living cultures of East and South Asia while such is not the case for the areas where Christianity and Islam have penetrated--i.e. areas in Africa and West Asia that practised "Wisdom Philosophies".
Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com