EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Who really destroyed the nose of the sphinx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who really destroyed the nose of the sphinx?
Hanni
Member # 14777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read a book which claims that according to Gaspero, the nose of the sphinx was destroyed by the Mamelukes. The same book claims that according to the Arab historian El-Makrizi, it was destroyed by the Sufi monk Sa'im al-Dahr.

The book also says that it was more likely to have been destroyed by the soldiers of Napoleon Bonaparte. So who really destroyed the nose of the sphinx?

Source: www.amazingafricanbooks.com

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, now that's the real riddle of the sphinx!

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear! Hear!
Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it just eroded away over the years. Even if so that would be extremely weird seeing as how all of the other features of the Sphinx are completely intact.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said it (laugh).

Respect and Peace.

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMT
Member # 12050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can anyone believe the nose of the Sphinx "eroded" when just about every AE statue I've seen the nose is obvioulsy destroyed but the rest of the statue is well preserved? Strange how the nose and lips always seem to 'erode.'
Posts: 148 | From: Sirius | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one is fooled about why, the nose and lips on statues are "Eroded". It could just be some people afraid to admit the truth, they see a statue that looks to "African" so the best way to deal with it is to hack off the lips and nose. This just delays, does not stop the truth from coming out.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard it was Islamics who did not like the fact the the Sphinx was a woman. There are a few people who also though it was a woman. And upon seeing it for the first time i too thought it was an African woman and not a man. I think it may be true that there was a false beard on it that was later removed? Is this a myth?
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JMT wrote:

quote:
How can anyone believe the nose of the Sphinx "eroded" when just about every AE statue I've seen the nose is obvioulsy destroyed but the rest of the statue is well preserved? Strange how the nose and lips always seem to 'erode.'
This is the first time that I have seen someone bring this up on this forum. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who has the intelligence to notice this. It looks like 9 out of every 10 statues has some kind of intentionally blatent disfiguration usually on the nose but also often on the lips.

This is no coincidence especially with Europeans and their dogmatic racial pseudoscience beliefs such as caucasoid.

I have a question because I really haven't been paying attention to other areas.

The question is, is this unique with Ancient Egypt? In other words are Ancient Greek, Roman, European, Asian, Indian, Pacific Islands, Native American, etc. monuments and statues missing features on them? And if so are they missing the same features over and over and over and over in massive numbers the way that Ancient Egyptian statues are?

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MONTU
Member # 14706

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MONTU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:
JMT wrote:

quote:
This is the first time that I have seen someone bring this up on this forum. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who has the intelligence to notice this. It looks like 9 out of every 10 statues has some kind of intentionally blatent disfiguration usually on the nose but also often on the lips.

This is no coincidence especially with Europeans and their dogmatic racial pseudoscience beliefs such as caucasoid.

I have a question because I really haven't been paying attention to other areas.

The question is, is this unique with Ancient Egypt? In other words are Ancient Greek, Roman, European, Asian, Indian, Pacific Islands, Native American, etc. monuments and statues missing features on them? And if so are they missing the same features over and over and over and over in massive numbers the way that Ancient Egyptian statues are?

I have seen some Greek statues where the nose whas beat of
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JMT:

Thank you.

quote:
I have seen some Greek statues where the nose whas beat of
Really?

Well it's not like the Greeks were pure and free of any "negroid" traits.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The Sphinx had a beard also! Such missing parts canNOT be attributed to erosion!
Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaire
Member # 12004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. This is going to sound strange, but I ones knew an african woman who bears a striking resemblance to the sphinx. The first time I saw her, all I could think about was the sphinx. I didn't dare tell her though. Wasn't sure if she would take it as a compliment or an insult or if she even knew what the sphinx was.
Posts: 9 | From: alexander | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
JMT wrote:

quote:

Does it have to be racist 18th-19th century Europeans who are responsible? If memory serves, Copts and Muslims had a habit of disfiguring ancient statues in the name of anti-idolatry.
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ The Sphinx had a beard also! Such missing parts canNOT be attributed to erosion!

Djehuti, I just saw a documentary the other day which said that the beard was later on added to the Sphinx not when the Sphinx was created out of one big stone.

The main reason is if the beard would have been created at the same time it should have shown some signs where the beard broke off - quite understandable in my opinion.

It was also said that the Sphinx doesn't show King Cheops - who was always shown with a fake beard.

It was claimed that it showed Cheops' son - forgot the name.

Another argument that Sphinx can't display Cheops was the fact of the way the head covering (sorry don't know the proper word in English) was structered.

Unfortunately I forgot the archaeologist's name who is searching for 20 years into the secrets of the Sphinx.

And for sure the monument doesn't show at all a female face. It's simply wrong and could be contributed to the Sphinx in the Greek mythology.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyrann0saurus hee hawed:

quote:
Does it have to be racist 18th-19th century Europeans who are responsible? If memory serves, Copts and Muslims had a habit of disfiguring ancient statues in the name of anti-idolatry.

I know you just got back from the meth lab, but try using your brain for once.

As most people of intelligence have noticed, most of the damage is "specifically" aimed primarily at the noses of these statues and sometimes also included the lips. That kind of specificity is no coincidence. And who is the group of people who created a pseudoscience based on lips, noses, and other human physical aspects?

Plus if my knowledge is correct muslims and copts did more than disfigure the noses and lips of statues they didn't like, they did their best to try and destroy the whole statue.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMT
Member # 12050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would islamist disfigure only the nose and lips and not the entire statue if Muslims are anti-idolatry? This is not to say islamist didn't have a hand in the destruction of AE antiquities. But considering the fact Egyptology is rooted in racism, and Europeans created Egyptology to manipulate the interpretation of AE history, it's reasonable to suggest those who possess control for the past 200 years bear some responsibility of foul play involving AE antiquities.
Posts: 148 | From: Sirius | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe more I have been reading about this i hear Napoleon came INTO Egypt with over 150 scientist and had great respect for A.E. culture. I there were also a lot of engineers and students and artist that came.......Along with the army of course. I have also read up on Napoleon being a bit of a scholar., I doubt a man of that recorded character when it comes to A.E. would blow the nose of the Sphinx. From what i have read in the past few weeks it doesn't make a lot of sense.

http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/shores/7037/napoleon/napo.htm

http://www.lindahall.org/events_exhib/exhibit/exhibits/napoleon/learn.shtml

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Djehuti, I just saw a documentary the other day which said that the beard was later on added to the Sphinx not when the Sphinx was created out of one big stone.

The main reason is if the beard would have been created at the same time it should have shown some signs where the beard broke off - quite understandable in my opinion.

It was also said that the Sphinx doesn't show King Cheops - who was always shown with a fake beard.

It was claimed that it showed Cheops' son - forgot the name.

Another argument that Sphinx can't display Cheops was the fact of the way the head covering (sorry don't know the proper word in English) was structered.

Unfortunately I forgot the archaeologist's name who is searching for 20 years into the secrets of the Sphinx.

And for sure the monument doesn't show at all a female face. It's simply wrong and could be contributed to the Sphinx in the Greek mythology.

The Sphinx was created by, and is a portrait of, king khafre..one of cheops (khufu's) sons. And the reason for the nose vandalism? If I memba correctly it was cut off by a Muslim fanatic when he found out locals were still making sacrifices it, to kinda explain here it was a belief in the ancient world that if you destroyed a statue's nose you destroyed its spirit. And The sphinx aint the only one to fall victim to this superstition [Wink]
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Obelisk_18 wrote:

quote:
And the reason for the nose vandalism? If I memba correctly it was cut off by a Muslim fanatic when he found out locals were still making sacrifices it, to kinda explain here it was a belief in the ancient world that if you destroyed a statue's nose you destroyed its spirit. And The sphinx aint the only one to fall victim to this superstition
Where is the evidence for this? You think this is a race loon forum where you post opinion and think we will consume it as fact. It ain't happening here Marvin.
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!!! You are a trip. .Marvin??

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Obelisk_18 wrote:

quote:
And the reason for the nose vandalism? If I memba correctly it was cut off by a Muslim fanatic when he found out locals were still making sacrifices it, to kinda explain here it was a belief in the ancient world that if you destroyed a statue's nose you destroyed its spirit. And The sphinx aint the only one to fall victim to this superstition
Where is the evidence for this? You think this is a race loon forum where you post opinion and think we will consume it as fact. It ain't happening here Marvin.
Race loon? marvin? looool....lol it's fact, don't believe me? google it man [Wink]
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clarification??

Yeah I read that the sphinx is that of Khafre.

But I assume you are saying google the "spirit" thing?

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com