EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: Jewish Burqa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Jewish Burqa
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it is not in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan, but in Israel.
This is the first time I read this.

-
 -
From Jewlicious :

Haaretz reported recently of a group of charedi women who, under the tutelage of a Rebbetzin Bruria Keren, have sought to take tznius (modesty) to the next level — voluntarily eschewing (covered) wigs and kerchiefs for hijabs and burkas. Jameel over at the Muqata translates some of the article (which, if your Hebrew permits, is very worth reading):

“I don’t want men to look at me. I’m happy being modest. In the past, I felt uncomfortable to walk around [sans-burka], in such a wanton fashion. At first, I just wore a wig. Now, when I see a woman with a wig, I pray to G-d to forgive her for wearing that “thing” on her head. It’s difficult. We get humiliated. What haven’t they said to me? My neighbors yelled at me, “Leave us alone, you smelly arab.” I was pushed. But this is a test from G-d. At the Central Bus Station I undergo security checks and am asked for identification. I don’t want men seeing my ID picture, so I just show them my children to prove I’m not an Arab.”

–Quote from a Burka and Hijab wearing Jewish woman in her late 20s, who lives in Jerusalem.

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is the link with picture (Hebrew)

Link

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why this obsession with the Levant: many of your posts are related to Israel and Palestine...I just want to let you know that many Africans and Asians and Europeans don't care about what's happening in that part of the world...indeed very few people are interested in your thread based on the amount of reply...why don't you change the subject...who cares about Israel and Palestine?
Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do not care about the Levant then stfu and
ignore threads covering the area and that interest.

Links forwarded to me by a friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXh5hvkCCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbxeEgCNtY

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing video, All! These people are beautiful and look to me East Africans.
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm wondering where you were raised...you parents obviously didn't do a good job...
Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
I'm wondering where you were raised...your parents obviously didn't do a good job...
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwa, you do realize that headcoverings were an ancient tradition practiced in the Middle East in general including the ancestors of the Jews. Why even today orthodox Jewish married women cover their hair in the presence of male strangers.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Arwa, you do realize that headcoverings were an ancient tradition practiced in the Middle East in general including the ancestors of the Jews. Why even today orthodox Jewish married women cover their hair in the presence of male strangers.

No, I really did not know that. I was surprised when I read the article.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ No offense but for someone claiming to be Muslim, I'm surprised at you being ignorant of this! I mean, that's also one reason for many non-Muslims' ignorance about Islam is that many Islamic customs such as hijab are not new at all but a continuation of an ancient tradition that has long been part of the Near East and other areas.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^^ hey!! I am talking about Burqa !!!!!!!!
get it!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Of course I know orthodox Jewish wear headscarf but not Burqa !!

Btw, Burqa is not Islamic traditional cloth.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Oh. I thought you mean hijab in general. You know how many ignorant Westerners use 'burqa' for hijab.

As for why these Jewish women are using actual burqas. I have no idea.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com