EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Building a digital library of scholarly resources

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Building a digital library of scholarly resources
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great site:

-
http://www.aluka.org/?cookieSet=1

• African Plants
  • Cultural Heritage Sites and Landscapes

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quality website. I'm a sucker for presentation and that site scratches my itch.

I haven't looked at much of the content though.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mission

Aluka is an international, collaborative initiative building an online digital library of scholarly resources from and about Africa. Our name, ‘Aluka’, is derived from a Zulu word meaning ‘to weave’, reflecting Aluka’s mission to connect resources and scholars from around the world.

Aluka seeks to attract high-quality scholarly content about Africa from institutions and individuals across the globe. By contributing their collections to the Aluka platform, content owners will have a means of offering access to their collections to an international audience—without having to develop and support their own technology platforms. Aluka’s web-based platform provides powerful tools for research, teaching, collaboration, and knowledge exchange.

The Aluka website includes a wide variety of high-quality scholarly materials contributed by Aluka’s partners, ranging from archival documents, periodicals, books, reports, manuscripts, and reference works, to three-dimensional models, maps, oral histories, plant specimens, photographs, and slides. By aggregating these materials online, the Aluka collections link materials that are widely dispersed and difficult to access, opening up new opportunities for research, teaching, and broader public discussion. One of Aluka’s primary objectives is to provide African scholars and students with access to scholarly materials originally from Africa, but now out of their reach.

Aluka also works closely with partner organisations in Africa to build capacity in digitisation and the use of online materials for teaching and research. In some cases this includes setting up digital labs and providing technical training in scanning and creating metadata records; in others, Aluka convenes training workshops for librarians, archivists, faculty, and heritage professionals on topics related to digital imaging, preservation, and the use of online tools in the classroom.

To demonstrate the potential of Aluka as a scholarly resource, three content areas are currently under development: African Cultural Heritage Sites and Landscapes, African Plants, and Struggles for Freedom in Southern Africa. New materials are added to the collections on an ongoing basis. In the longer run, our hope is that Aluka’s work in Africa will be a model for expanding the initiative to other regions of the developing world.

Aluka is a project of Ithaka, a not-for-profit organization with a mission to promote innovation in higher education by providing research, strategic services, and infrastructure support to promising new initiatives (www.ithaka.org). Start-up funding for Ithaka and Aluka has been provided by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, and The Stavros Niarchos Foundation.

http://www.aluka.org/page/about/historyMission.jsp
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^are these people who provide the foundation in spirit with the mission or is there a hidden agenda?

I think rasol (South African?) can give us a hint...

[Smile]

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwa - I can't help but wonder why you started this thread. By your second post, it is obvious that you correctly understand it to be a flim-flam, just more of the same: White people selling Africa, so what was your point?
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

All I gotta say is that a digital library or preferably multiple ones can be great back up at the rate great human historical works like the one above are being defaced.

Posts: 26300 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand what you want from me [Confused]
I did post the link not knowing the mission of the project. OK?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
Arwa - I can't help but wonder why you started this thread. By your second post, it is obvious that you correctly understand it to be a flim-flam, just more of the same: White people selling Africa, so what was your point?

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure there's any solid proof that the project is a "flim-flam".

Prudence is indispensable, but jumping to conclusions is not.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com