EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Random ideas on an African movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Random ideas on an African movie
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie is about Queen Nzinga, Europeans in their behavior in Africa would be shown as destructive (which would not be historically inaccurate) while whenever someone is shown as noble it wouldn't be as the ideal of a noble savage.

My first thought was to have an opening when Vasco Da Gama first sails across the Swahili coast, they trade with the Swahili then leave and return with a bigger fleet to raid them. This takes away all sympathy for the antagonist and foreshadows the greed, treachery and destructiveness of Europeans that would become common afterwards. Then after that the story fast forwards in time and we come to (Ndongo) Angola where Nzinga hears news of the defeat of the armies of Kongo after trying to abolish the slave trade. The rest is about her struggle against the Portuguese and many of her own family members who supported the slave trade, and shows her as a great leader, military genius and warrior.

Other ideas for a movie would be on King Taharqa who saved the Israelites from the Assyrians, Sundiata who according to legend defeated the evil sorcerer and king of Sosso and established Mali as the dominate power of West Africa bringing a golden age of peace. Ewuare who is Benin's most famous king, he conquered 201 towns, built great roads, and was also supposedly a great magician. A movie with Egyptians played by black actors

It doesn't have to be a ruler, anyone want to post some ideas

(the name on the other thread can't be changed)

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always wanted to see a movie that includes a discussion of African magic users and martial arts.

It could be set after the fall of the Meroitic empire. Its heroes would be three unlikely characters: a magician, a martial artists and a prince of Meroe . They would be seeking the ancestral home of the Kushites and Mountain of the Moon.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by markellion:
This movie is about Queen Nzinga, Europeans in their behavior in Africa would be shown as destructive (which would not be historically inaccurate) while whenever someone is shown as noble it wouldn't be as the ideal of a noble savage.

My first thought was to have an opening when Vasco Da Gama first sails across the Swahili coast, they trade with the Swahili then leave and return with a bigger fleet to raid them. This takes away all sympathy for the antagonist and foreshadows the greed, treachery and destructiveness of Europeans that would become common afterwards. Then after that the story fast forwards in time and we come to (Ndongo) Angola where Nzinga hears news of the defeat of the armies of Kongo after trying to abolish the slave trade. The rest is about her struggle against the Portuguese and many of her own family members who supported the slave trade, and shows her as a great leader, military genius and warrior.

Other ideas for a movie would be on King Taharqa who saved the Israelites from the Assyrians, Sundiata who according to legend defeated the evil sorcerer and king of Sosso and established Mali as the dominate power of West Africa bringing a golden age of peace. Ewuare who is Benin's most famous king, he conquered 201 towns, built great roads, and was also supposedly a great magician. A movie with Egyptians played by black actors

It doesn't have to be a ruler, anyone want to post some ideas

(the name on the other thread can't be changed)

I like the idea of Da Gama meeting the East Africans. But I would like the story to concentrate on the Swahili pilot that guided them to Goa, India. In this movie a band of Africans would join the crew so they could rescue an African princess.

To keep Europeans interested, a member of Da Gama's crew could join the band of heroes as marksmen specializing in the use of guns.

The Swahili would use the DaGama ship as a cover to get the adventurers into India. Once they arrive in India they would set out to rescue the princess and return home in an East African mtepe or Mashua.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Another movie I would like to produce would be called Kushite. In this movie we would have a Kushite Mercenary who after the fall of Troy makes his way into Central Asia.

I like this movie because it could include almost any nationality because Central Asia was a meeting place of many different nationalities back in the day.

In the movie, the Kushite Mercenary would be hired by a Kushana merchant in Afganistan to rescue his daughter from a Hun warlord. The Kushite team would include an Oriental who specializes in martial arts, a big blond Indo-European expert in the double axe and pgymy mysterious magician-bowman. The Kushite would be a master of the sword and of course a ladies man.

A side story would be trying to figure out where the magician originated. During the return from Xinjiang after rescuing the merchant's daughter, the band of heroes might become lost in a cave and discover that the evil people who live in the caves are enemies of the magician who belongs to a lost civilization in the Center of the Earth, where the pgymies fled after the great flood.

They would also encounter a band of ancient Assyrian shamen who live in the mountains that have the ability to transform into humano-birds that work as mercenaries for the Hun.

fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the story of osiris and isi
the story of The Legend of Horus of Behutet and the Winged Disk

--------------------
لا اله الا الله و محمد الرسول الله

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
^^This could be a great story and offers the opportunity for sequeals since Osiris had many adventures.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
 -

I would also like to make a movie on Hercules. In this movie I would show how Hercules was a Pelasgian (a Black man) and he was fighting to uphold the matriarchial societies of Greece, as the Ionians invaded the country from the north.

-

-

-

Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Anyone read the novel "lions blood" by steven barnes? I always thought that story would make for a good movie. Excellent book by the way, I recommend it.

--------------------
Dont be evil - Google

Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
I believe that the major problem with African movies is that they have not approached the historical legacy of their countries to provide pride for their people.

Other societies have recognized the use of history as a way of highlighting their culture i.e., films about American cowboys or Japanese Samurai.

This problem is evident in Afro-American films as well. These films concentrate on contemporary problems. They should make some films discussing run-away slave communities, black cowboys, black explorers and etc.--not just gang bangers and murder.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to create my own animation company. I want to make movies dealing with black civilizations and heritages.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Excellent idea. Learn Flash for animations.

This is a book I saved in my wishlist years ago with the intent of reading but never got round to it. It's got good reviews.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Winters

Do you mind explaining the photos? What are they of? Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
 -

I would also like to make a movie on Hercules. In this movie I would show how Hercules was a Pelasgian (a Black man) and he was fighting to uphold the matriarchial societies of Greece, as the Ionians invaded the country from the north.

-

-

-

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Writing a story on how 1 man describes and traces all his fathers back to slavery and then back to west Africa, and later to east Africa BC. He of course is really a vampire and is speaking of himself, sort of an action packed story with a built in history lesson.

2. I think a great non fiction recreation would be "The Battle of Adwa" That would kicks some serious azz to see that recreated today. Plus i would like to see Ethiopians giving Italians a spanking on the big screen. If i ever become rich i will do so.

3 I would also love to see a short story about the Asante Golden Stool incident :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6bBG_UZU5h8

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
These pictures represent some of the Pelasgians who lived in Greece and the Islands before the invasion of the Agean by the Ionians. The third picture is of Cretans. These pictures have been re-painted to make them look more European.

The pictures represent the Africans who lived in Greece and were Blacks like Hercules.

Black Greeks

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Dr. Winters

Do you mind explaining the photos? What are they of? Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
 -

-

-

-

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks - Wow!! really fascinating stuff

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a story line!

A Central African tribe are gathering for the coming of a full moon festival. While engaging in the ritual, there are attacked and captured by the Europeans. Unbeknownst to them the tribal chief and his sons are out on a hunt and when they return they find people killed, wounded or captured. They have 1 week to reach the Gold Coast before they lose their family.
The sons are experts at ngolo, precurser to capoeira and they swing the equivalent of the broadsword (machete) to chop down any tree and they are kind as they are ruthless to stop any invader who comes to their domain and destroy the Mother!
They reach the fort, stop the traders and as they are about to destry the fort, they turn around and return to their tribal homeland!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly I would also like to see a fencing movie with an African character based in France or Italy! Counte of Monte Cristo was written by the famous Dumas so there is a connection!
Perhaps base the character in Portugal or Brazil to make it more apropos

J. A. Rogers mentions a famous fencer based in France (if I recall correctly) with African ancestry who was feared but it never went into detail about his background!
The protagonist is called upon to protect a 'minor royal' family member who was almost killed but he and his 2-3 friends save the day!
Both initially and in the end.
The movie should show the skill and athleticism of their practitioners just like Thai and other action movies show the depth and breath of experience of their respective milieu!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who was that African leader who defeated the muslim when they first invaded? General Uqba was the one who was defeated, I think.

Muslims were beaten so badly they sued for peace and didn't try anything for nearly 700 years. A movie about hmi, or any of the Kandake's would be incredible.

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was king kalydosos of the medievel nubian christian kingdom of makuria who defeated the arabs.
the other nubian christian kingdom alwa supported him but since makuria was closer to the arab empire it was makuria who did the fighting.
i would like to see a movie about this too and other movies or mini-series on other time of makuria and alwa.
how about a movie and mini-series about the funj and the kingdoms of dafur and different time periods of meroe.

another on on the post-meriotic period and how these nubians always raided and the defeated the romans and byzantines and how they lived at that time.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Kalydosos, now you guys are talking. That would be a really good story for people to know about.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the info kenndo. And I would LOVE to see a dramatization of the Battle of Islandwana where the Zulus, armed only with courage, annihilated an entire battalion of British soldiers in what was the worst defeat Britain suffered (where over 50 officers died) not to be surpassed until WWII.
In fact a movie about the Zulu-Anglo war would be nice. Let the world see the Zulu's kicking some Anglo @$$.
And no I don't want to hear about Zulu Dawn where the Zulus are portrayed as an ignorant charging horde when the filmmakers know damned well that's not what happened. There's a great book called They Fought Like Lions which tells the story of the Zulu-Anglo war.

I want to see a movie that dares to piss white peolpe off and tell the truth. If they don't like it-tough! They made the history.

And for those who aren't familar with Islandwana check it out. Napoleon Bonaparte's grandson was killed during the Zulu-Anglo war as was a member of the Austrian royal family. The Brits saw their war to steal Africa as a bonding experience for the whtie races of Europe. No need to emphasize the evil of the villains here-this story writes itself!

King Cteshwayo could be played by Dennis Haysbert [Big Grin]

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like a movie about the conquest of Egypt by the Persian Cambyses. It would be narrated by the Greek historian Herodotus and the Egyptians would be the protagonists resisting Persian attacks. Actors I would cast would be:

Michael Clarke Duncan...Amasis
Denzel Washington...Psammetichus III
Johnny Depp...Cambyses
Antonio Banderas...Polycrates of Samos (I've long wanted to see Antonio Banderas as an Ancient Greek, for I see him as the archetypical Southern European male)
Evan Parke...Wedjahor Resne, admiral of Egypt
Omar Sharif...Herodotus
Gabrielle Union...Amasis's queen (hot black woman in Egyptian bling has GOT to be seen)

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notice who all are posting to this feeble minded thread. (me not included of course)

Its like a whose who of intellectual lightweights.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:
Notice who all are posting to this feeble minded thread. (me not of course)

Really?

Coming from you, I'll join in. [Smile]

What about the Ashante defeat of the invading/enchroaching European forces ... I can't remember who the invading general was, but he said "it was the most horrible/terrible fighting" he'd ever seen, and it actually caused the invadors to back off for quite a while.

Having said that, I sportsbilly's Kalydosos, and Tyro's Emp. Cambyses invasion are top choices so far

oh, and all of the ideas in Markellion's first post!

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:
Notice who all are posting to this feeble minded thread. (me not included of course)

WTF are you?
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrann0saurus:
I would like a movie about the conquest of Egypt by the Persian Cambyses. It would be narrated by the Greek historian Herodotus and the Egyptians would be the protagonists resisting Persian attacks. Actors I would cast would be:

Michael Clarke Duncan...Amasis
Denzel Washington...Psammetichus III
Johnny Depp...Cambyses
Antonio Banderas...Polycrates of Samos (I've long wanted to see Antonio Banderas as an Ancient Greek, for I see him as the archetypical Southern European male)
Evan Parke...Wedjahor Resne, admiral of Egypt
Omar Sharif...Herodotus
Gabrielle Union...Amasis's queen (hot black woman in Egyptian bling has GOT to be seen)

YE$!
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Arglye Socks Wrote: Notice who all are posting to this feeble minded thread. Its like a whose who of intellectual lightweights.

It's WHO'S WHO, not WHOSE.

You know, there's an old saying Arglye- "No one will ever know how dumb you are until you open your mouth and tell them."
Now that you've told us, put down the mouse and back slowly away from the keyboard, you feeble-minded moron.
Who's (or is it "whose? [Big Grin] ) the "intellectual lightweight" now?

How about some more ideas Argyle?

I want to see a film about Queen Tiye and have Vivica Foxx star in it. She's like a carbon copy of the woman, I swear.
Or a movie about Nefertiti, with Kerry Washington as the woman herself.
Because I'd puke if some half-yellow chick like Halle or Beyonce were cast as an Egytian. If we're going to tell the history then let's tell it the way it happened.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
halle was darker years ago when i first saw her and beyonce parents are both black.in recent times however halle i think is not that light even today despite the skin lighters but i have not seen a real recent picture of her today so who knows but she looks black and when i first saw her i did not even know she had a white parent because to me she just look black even today.

halle i think still has a movie out about a egyptian queen and i rather have her play it then a arab-j lo type.but there should have been other actresses out there.but that's hollywood,and the question is who will play her husband because knowing hollywood they will most likely make him white or something else but not black.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
What happened to Wally's thread about " La Reine Soleil"? Seems like all posts were deleted except the some jerk. I thought only the moderators can do that.

Ordered the DVD from an on-line website. See how it works out.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
English dubbing of La Reine Soleil is a good start.

http://www.lareinesoleil-lefilm.com/home.html

--------------------

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

Snoop Dog feat. Jamel Debouze- Mission Cleopatra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDQIE9lL4qI&feature=related

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mmmkay:
^ Anyone read the novel "lions blood" by steven barnes? I always thought that story would make for a good movie. Excellent book by the way, I recommend it.

Lol what is crazy i that Before I read your comment I was going to post about that....

I disagree with SOME stuff in his book....

If I was to make a movie like Lions blood it would be in series.

First one would be about he Emergence of African powers that would eventually face Rome.
F
first let me tell anyone who doesn'nt know the general Idea of the book...it basically about what would western civilization be like if the African World powers (Egypt, Carthage, and Ethiopia(Which become Abbysinia) had destroyed the Romans and all remained world powers.
They eventually discover America(called Ballistan)

Anyway in mine the Egyptian and Nubians would unify their empire in the 25th dynasty and keep it unified until a brief period where the Persian after many wars eventually capture Lower Egypt. Then Alexander the Great drives the defeats Persia and sets up Alexandria and reunifies the kingdom and just like in the book marries a Noble Kushit/Egyptian princess who would eventuall bear the Nations future lineage of Rulers.

Carthage Emerges and the Ethiopia at the same time Rome.

Then in a Dramtic scene the Romans face off against the Combined Egyptian and Carthange force and faces a sever blow. Then it goes to where the War is over and Egypt and Carthage and Ethiopia divide Rome up. The Greeks and their lands are liberated by Egypt due to past relations. allowing Greece to Re emerge as the only European cultural powerhouse.

It would basically be about Africa, Asia, and the Near East rising to dominence while Europe with the exception of the dominant Greeks is backward.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com