EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » ONA MOVE!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ONA MOVE!
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

ONA Move! Long live John Africa's Revolution!
Statement by Mumia Abu-Jamal, son of Abu-Jamal, read at Unity Nation's African Holocaust Conference, 15 October 1995

ONA MOVE! LONG LIVE JOHN AFRICA'S REVOLUTION!

Many of you will, no doubt, gasp and be alarmed when you hear that the writer of these words is on death row; But, why be alarmed? Why be surprised? In America, are we not all on death row?

Think of Malice Green, of Detroit; Brother McDuffie of Miami; of men, women and children known and unknown - nameless to all except those who loved them - Eternal Black Victims of the Great White Executioners - Since 1619 till this very day, when the relentless war on Black Life continues unabated.

Think of the martyred ones; those 28 men who soldiered for the Black Panther Party, like Fred Hampton, Mark Clark, George Luther Jackson, and Jonathan Jackson; think of the MOVE martyrs of May 13, 1985, bombed into oblivion by this very government - were they not on death row?

And that is our problem, isn't it?

At this march, let us now use this massive strength to organize, to rebuild, to breathe new life into our people's movements to free ourselves from our deadly daily reality.

If we merely come together to beat our feet, shout our lungs out, and shake our fists at an empty sky, we have failed.

All the Universe pulsates with purpose - will we be out-of-sync with the natural rhythms of the Universe itself?

What is our purpose?

Let us organize our strength for our collective freedom! Let us organize our collective power to shout out, not in supplication, but in militant affirmation of our God-given worth! ON THE MOVE!

Let us organize - for in Unity there is strength!

Use this opportunity to build strong, deep and lasting organizational expressions of our truest selves - ones which speak our truths unafraid to the world, ones that do righteous battle for our interests, ones that support the simple yet profound principle that a truly free and independent people do what needs to be done to preserve their existence and protect their tomorrows - no matter what.

Be militant! Be committed! Let freedom become your faith! Let Revolution become your religion! ON THE MOVE!

It is one of America's firmest goals to keep the grandsons of slaves helpless and virtually powerless. If you can't help yourselves, you can't help others. Power ain't a job, nor a title - it's the ability to make things happen - period.

Let us organize our collective will, let us build! Our grandmothers and grandfathers built this nation with the blood, sweat and tears of their stolen toil; Let us build - Organize!

ONA MOVE!

LONG LIVE JOHN AFRICA!

Mumia Abu-Jamal

ONA MOVE!
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Mine too.

quote:
Originally posted by HORUS^*^:
arguably the strongest movement put together by Afro Americans (to the best of my knowledge) because of one mistake?

I think the Afro Americans need to ressurect this movement

and

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
The panthers are OK. But UNIA is where it was at.

Tell me more about this UNIA, would you .... [Smile]
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UNIA -

more than 2- million active members in the diaspora. North America, Caribbean, Brazil including rest of South America. Members even in England.

Involved in multi-million dollar businesses. Notably a shipping line. Black people of all nationality working towards a common goal.

That was probably a great time to live!!

--- from Malcolm's autobio. His father was a member of UNIA.

Malcolm one of the guys who transcended race. . . .in his later years. Saw the struggle from a holistic level.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^And what is this "holistic level" you're speaking of?
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does any of this have to do with the MOVE?
Do your homework, John Africa was a white man.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Hon Marcus Mosiah Garvey (1887-1940) were alive today to see what passes for African and Diasporan African leadership on the world scene; he would weep.

There isn't a single 'independence'/liberation/nationalist/Pan African movement in Africa, the Caribbean and the Americas that did not sup or glean from the teachings of the Hon Marcus Garvey and the greatest organisation created by Africans/Blacks, since the Maafa, the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA).

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
What does any of this have to do with the MOVE?
Do your homework, John Africa was a white man.

lol, I realised that after I posted. But anyway, my objective isn't about John Africa or even to debate anything in the quoted text - I just googled "ONA MOVE!" to find some text to backup my pre-meditated/chosen subject title (i.e. ONA MOVE!) [Cool] .

Thanks for coming on board for this topic, your opinion on the Black Panther movement and what shape it should take in the future or what other alternatives there are is of the upmost importance to me.

I'm really just trying to get my head round revolutions started by black folks OUTSIDE of Africa.

Cheers.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read Garvey - Definitely a brother with a real plan

Also latter Martin L. King and Malcohm planned pan-african organization

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^Thanks meninarmer.

As you might imagine, I have heard of Garvey (who hasn't ...) but I always pictured him as a practical, not very academic sort of person who made big MOVES for Blacks in the diaspora but never wrote books or publicly documented his models or methods.

I am more intune with Malcolm X's personality. I've read all sorts about him, watched the movie, watched the debates ... the debate at Oxford had a particularly powerful effect on me because I was a student at Oxford and I'm even back there now taking further courses ... and I've read King's autobiography.

I guess I was wrong about Garvey. I'll pick up some books I can find. Any recommendations?

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garvey has an bio- I believe authored by his 2nd wife. It is in my collection haven't looked at it over 10yrs now.

But if you really want to get in tune with your mental part - check out Fannon. The BEST analytical mind on the "negro" mind. And a trained Dr. if you into academics.

Mracus wasn't "and" ACADEMIC, he was self taught. Funny thing is he was the greatest leader, black or white, in modern times. Great in that he had organizations in all the americas and England. Maybe only Hilter came close. LOL. Maybe another self- taught person??? So take academics with some caution.

-----Holistic in the sense , he looked at the whole "race" not just small parts ie nationality. Malcolm was trending to that direction.

King and the Panthers were localized.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey - Or, Africa for the Africans.

Compiled by Amy Jacques Garvey

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Also, see MARCUS GARVEY'S FOOTSOLDIERS OF THE UNIVERSAL NEGRO IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION -Jeanette Smith-Irvin, and RACE FIRST BY Tony Martin
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^Thanks meninarmer.

As you might imagine, I have heard of Garvey (who hasn't ...) but I always pictured him as a practical, not very academic sort of person who made big MOVES for Blacks in the diaspora but never wrote books or publicly documented his models or methods.

I am more intune with Malcolm X's personality. I've read all sorts about him, watched the movie, watched the debates ... the debate at Oxford had a particularly powerful effect on me because I was a student at Oxford and I'm even back there now taking further courses ... and I've read King's autobiography.

I guess I was wrong about Garvey. I'll pick up some books I can find. Any recommendations?

Contrary to popular belief, Marcus Garvey was a prolific writer. However, most of his writings were speeches, poems, and essays.
Garvey was not an educated man in the sense he studied at an "Anglo" endorsed institution, but he was highly intelligent and very well spoken.

The biggest problem he faced with delegating responsibility to other members. They often let him down and so, he tried to do it all himself.

You might wish to begin with his official website here;
http://www.marcusgarvey.com/, and it will guide you to other sources of information regarding his views and philosophies.

Before his assassination, Martin Luther King, like Malcohm X, was expanding his worldview also. They planned to combine to form a universal Pan-African Organization to unite blacks and poor worldwide. This was the post-Mecca/NOI Malcohm X.

You can image what the status quo felt about this. The Civil Rights movement was bad enough, but combining King & Malcolm with all the poor of the world would surely have upset the balance of power.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Jo Nongowa:
^ The Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey - Or, Africa for the Africans.

Compiled by Amy Jacques Garvey

Yes, this is a must read.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^The Garvey site is very helpful. Thanks.
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
I T A Wallace-Johnson of Sierra Leone aka Laminah Sankoh was a Garveyite.

Philip Nkrumah of the Gold Coast aka Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana was a Garveyite.

Chiefs Azikiwe and Awolowo of Nigeria were Garveyites.

Mzee Jomo Kenyatta of Kenya was a Garveyite.

Chief Albert Luthuli of the African National Congress (ANC) in South Africa was a Garveyite.

Robert Mugabe of present day Zimbabwe was influenced by Garveyism.

In 1945, Garveyism was partly responsible for the convening of the Fifth Pan-African Congress in Manchester, England, UK. This Congress would serve as a political incubator for a many future African heads of state.

Elijah Poole of the US of A aka the Hon Elijah Muhammad was a Garveyite.

Malcom Little of the US of A aka Malcom X; his father was a Garveyite.

Martin Luther King of the US of A in a tribute to Garvey in 1965 admitted that Garvey was the first man of color in the US of A to develop and lead a mass movement that was Pan-African.

Stokely Carmichael of the US of A was a Garveyite.

One could go on and on. Even Dubois before he died admitted that.... It began with Garvey.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Yes, before his death, Dubois stated he had great regrets for what he had done.
Whites have a fine tradition of knowing how to break up a good party.

Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Oh, I forgot to mention Julius Nyrere, formerly of Tanganyika and Zanzibar aka Mwalimu Nyrere of present day Tanzania. He was also a Garveyite.

As Marcus Garvey stated, and I paraphase loosely - "A Race without Power or Authority is a Race without Respect".

Liberty, Justice and Well-Being for all - The Struggle Continues.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Is this struggle really a "Race" struggle ... ?
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
^ Liberty, Justice and Well-Being for All of Humanity - The Struggle Continues! all
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
^ Oops, Sorry.

Liberty, Justice and Well-Being for All of Humanity. The Struggle Continues!

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
quote:
Is this struggle really a "Race" struggle ... ?

Depends who you ask and the situation.

In Garvey's group, yes. It was just for blacks.
To my knowledge, there were no whites, asians, middle-easterns, or indians in Garvey's Africa For Africans movement. Just millions of blacks.
garvey did however, form relationships and alliances with other groups.
Peace

Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
^ In context, setting, circumstance and historical background; Garvey's posit was legitimate. Moreover, he did not espouse imperialist designs on the lands, people and resources of any non African or African people. His rallying call to Africans (the Blacks), continental and diasporan, was "Africa for the Africans".

I can understand if Garvey's clarion call caused discomfiture to imperialist non Africans but why should it cause concern to any African or person of African descent?

'Well body', Peace and Out.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com