EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: Some images from the art of other ancient civilizations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Some images from the art of other ancient civilizations
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greece

-

-

-

-

-

Leonidas of SPARTA!
 -

Aristotle
 -

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rome

-

-

-

-

Julius Caesar
 -

...and his whacker Brutus
 -

Augustus
 -

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Celtic

-

-

-

-

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Germanic

-

-

These were attached to the prows of ships
 -

-

-

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Mayan

-

-

Mayan students must have hated writing their assignments, for their letters had very complicated designs!
 -

-

-

-

-

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Other Mesoamerican

-

Reportedly, after the leader of the team who excavated this saw it, he wanted it buried again!
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

South American

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

If the Nazca really were trying to contact aliens as the New Agers believe, you think they would pick a less scary creature.

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Mesopotamian

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Persian

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

China

-

-

-

-

Qin Shi Huangdi, the First Emperor
 -

-

-

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Thread...
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
Doric Order
 -

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pre-Roman Etruscans

-

-

-

Iberians

[img] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f1/Dama_d'Elx.jpg/325px-Dama_d'Elx.jpg [/img]

-

Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't you guys heard about the recently discovered bust of Julius Caesar, found in Arles, France?

It is assumed to be the only contemporary portraiture of Caesar.

-

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Everybody always talks about the influences that the Negroes had on me. What can I do? We all of us loved fetishes. Van Gogh once said, ‘Japanese art—we all had that in common.’ For us it’s the Negroes.... When I went to the old Trocadero, it was disgusting. The Flea Market. The smell. I was alone. I wanted to get away. But didn’t leave. I stayed. I stayed. I understood that it was very important: something was happening to me, right? The masks weren’t just like any other pieces of sculpture. Not at all. They were magic things... The Negro pieces were intercesseurs, mediators.... I always looked at fetishes. I understood; I too am against everything. I too believe that everything is unknown, that everything is an enemy! Everything! Not the details—women, children, babies, tobacco, playing—the whole of it! I understood what the Negroes use their sculptures for Why sculpt like that and not some other way? After all, they weren’t Cubists! Since Cubism didn’t exist. It was clear that some guys had invented the models, and others had imitated them, right? Isn’t that what we call tradition? But all the fetishes were used for the same thing. They were weapons. To help people avoid coming under the influence of spirits again, to help them become independent. Spirits, the unconscious (people still weren’t talking about that very much), emotion—they’re all the same thing. I understood why I was a painter. All alone in that awful museum, with masks, dolls made by the redskins, dusty manikins. Les Demoiselles d ‘Avignon must have come to me that very day, but not at all because of the forms; because it was my first exorcism painting—yes absolutely."
- Picasso (1937) to Malraux, in a discussion on African art..

Mali

Dogon art:

-

-

-

Djennenke art:

-

-

-

Mandinka art:

-

-

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nigeria:

Yoruba art:

-

-

-

Igbo art:

-

-

-

-

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ancient Nok Civilization

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going here, make sure you're PC is prepared for some pictures:

ES thread: Introduction to West African art

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Australia

Aboriginal art:

-

-

-

-

-

-

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
Australia

Aboriginal art:

-

-

-

-

-

-

I really like this style of art... It's very appealing to the eye.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com