EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » SURINAME

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SURINAME
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[MARRON WOMEN IN SURINAME]

http://deutzia27.blogspot.com/2007/03/suriname.html

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[THE CAPITAL PARAMARIBO, TOWARDS THE WATERFRONT: DE WATERKANT]

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

[THE INDIANS OF SURINAME]

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

FAYA LOBI (HOT LOVE), THE NATIONAL FLOWER.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

PARAMARIBO

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

SYNOGOGUE

-

AMERINDIANS OF SURINAME

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

-

ROTI

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Ronald Venetiaan, President of Surinam, in front of our flag.

Now some people give him grief about the size of his lips, but his lady appears happy, so who cares....

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
 -

Egmond, Hide them TITTIES before you bring KING up in here with his bible and book burning brigade !!!
Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:
quote:
 -

Egmond, Hide them TITTIES before you bring KING up in here with his bible and book burning brigade !!!
I posted this because I was surprised, as these beauties don't show 'em to just anybody anymore, like in day's gone by. But antropology is much about staring at naked coloured people anyway, so...

But I urge you all to come to Suriname, which to me has grown to become paradise.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it!

It is a beautiful shot, so on second thought; Let KING eat cake!

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

DESI DELANO BOUTERS

THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL SURINAMESE EVER!

-

-

YALL JUST GO AND READ ALL ABOUT THIS MAN. SURINAME HAD ITS OWN 'FRENCH REVOLUTION' BUT IT WENT BAD. WHEN THESE 15 OPPONENTS WERE KILLED, THE WHOLE THING BLEW UP IN OUR FACES.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Our pride and joy; the Winti Religion. Purely African, not adulterated with Christianity or any such things. We are quite exhibitionistic about it, too. This is how Surinam Blacks survived 350 years of cruel Dutch slavery, and are still going strong.

-

-

(Some of yall on this site remind me of our winti-priest! Which is good. Love it when yall hurl these photographs at each other, like sending spell's.)

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

http://www.network54.com/Forum/133847/thread/1192266423/last-1192266423/HOOGTEPUNTEN+VAN+DE+ACHTTIENDE+EEUWSE+SURINAAMSE+SEKSUELE+MORAAL

HIGHPOINTS OF THE EIGHTEEN CENTURY SURINAM SEXUAL MORALS

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
I like it!

It is a beautiful shot, so on second thought; Let KING eat cake!

IT'S PARADISE....WELL ALMOST! MANY CULTURES, VERY TOLERANT AND EASY GOING PEOPLE, GREAT NATURE, CHEAP PRICES, NO BAD FOOD IN SURINAM, SURINAM BEER NAMED 'PARBO BIER,' WARM WEATHER YEAR ROUND AND FIERCLY EGALITARIAN IN SPIRIT.
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

HAVE SOME CAKE: VIADOE. BREAD BATTER, DRIED AND PRESERVED FRUITS, CINNAMON, MILK, RUM, EGG'S AND SUGAR.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

DESI DELANO BOUTERSE

-

-

YALL JUST GO AND READ ALL ABOUT THIS MAN. SURINAME HAD ITS OWN 'FRENCH REVOLUTION' BUT IT WENT BAD. WHEN THESE 15 OPPONENTS WERE KILLED, THE WHOLE THING BLEW UP IN OUR FACES.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Edgar Cairo, our beloved great, creative, fearless writer who passed away. I miss that beautiful man!

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Mala Kishoendajal I consider our best, most talented writer. Velvet like language, beautiful rithm, wonderful powers of observation. As a writer you should not be too conscious of what you write, just be and let it all hang out, for the pleasure of the readers.

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

I heard that the Indians rule over the Blacks in Suriname. The black people there has no power.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by Bettyboo:
quote:
 -

I heard that the Indians rule over the Blacks in Suriname. The black people there has no power.
Not easy to say. At present we have a Black, thick lipped President, an Indian Prime-Minister and a Javanese Speaker of Parliament. The ministers crew is multiracial and nobody is left out. Perhaps they have their own spheres of influence. I hate the bickering and fighting while we could all be making love. When I was there the last time, at the motel, there were these beautiful....Well never mind. Just MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR!
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

The Speaker of Parliament mr. Paul Somohardjo. He is from Surinam-Javanese descent, a Muslim. There cannot be a more scandal ridden person in Suriname! Yet he is the second most powerful man today. How in the world did he pull it off? This goes to show, that you do not always have to toe the line. Be wild if you feel like it, give 'em hell. You cannot win them all, anyway. There are now frequent scuffles in Parliament, though.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Portie bamie met hete kip!
Javanese noodles with hot chicken!

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Looks like you need some fried plantains on that dish.
 -

Now, it's perfect to cool off that hot chicken.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZkO0cfGu1U8/R4Z9h2nKmFI/AAAAAAAABOU/CrpEvKxtKzo/suriname+november+2007+308.JPG

Near the Central Market, Paramaribo

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

quote:
Looks like you need some fried plantains on that dish.
 -

Now, it's perfect to cool off that hot chicken.

-

Or Dawat, called Cendol in Indonesia! This one needs stirring though!

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

The Beautiful Johanna, wife of John Stedman (18th century)

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Armed Maroon

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Posted: Thu 23 Oct 2008 13:24 subject:

Sadie wrote:
Egmond, thanks for the link and the explanation. Yes I can see how it relates. I think racism in the USA is worse than in Puerto Rico. Not to say that there is absolutely no racism in Puerto Rico towards Africans. For example, African hair is referred to in Puerto Rico as "pelo malo" (bad hair) and some Puerto Ricans do try to marry someone lighter than them in order to "whiten" the family. However, an Afro-Puerto Rican today would never be denied a front-row seat! Our culture is much more important than our color.

Egmond answers:
As a researcher I try not to be tot judgemental, as one would normally be, because one does not want the collection of information and facts to be clouded by feelings. So I have grown insensitive to certain things of the past, while I might be sitting with someone who is moved to tears by the same story. What I mean to say is that I'm so fascinated with the information the USA has to offer about these matters that I even might stop to laugh at certain foolishness, which for the participants was dead serious.

Surinam S.A, is my place of birth, I stayed till my twentieth year, then went to The Netherlands, our former coloniser. All Surinamese are practically coloured and most descend from slaves, or from exploited contract labourers from Asia. Nobody tries to hide this or feel embarrassed about his roots. It's part of the Surinam identity and we take pride in many traditions and culture which started with the slaves. Yet our culture is a mix with some European elements. But the first generation European immigrants already incorporated African customs and speech in their daily live.

There is some racism, politically fostered competition between the 13-14 ethnicities. No discrimination around religion. There is some Colorism among Black’s and folks from India. Anyone who is not pure Asian, they think off themselves as pure but they are not, is called ´Creool.´ I have wondered where the idea of 'Opo yu kleur,' raise your colour originated. Perhaps it started with the coloured masters in the nineteenth century. In general I feel the Surinam mentality is very egalitarian, for which I credit an independence movement 1742/1753 among the Surinamised, second generation plantation owners. This was Enlightened and Republican in nature. With women running the movement, while they were barred from voting and holding public offices. They were however running their own plantations.

Sources:

4. Maria Susanna Du Plessis (1739-1795) : dader of slachtoffer?
Codfried, Egmond / 8e bew. dr / Codfried / 2005

5. Belle van Zuylen's vergeten oma: Maria Jacoba van Goor (1687-1737) : een beknopte studie over zwarten en kleurlingen in Europa en Nederland door de eeuwen heen
Codfried, Egmond / 1e verb. dr / Codfried / 2005

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

There is still a lot we don't know about slavery.
After looking at this piece I wonder if the writer considered that the word 'Negro' stood for 'Slave.'

But it can help a Surinam researcher to have a broader view of this period.

The Invention of the Color Line: 1691
Essays on the Color Line and the One-Drop Rule
by Frank W Sweet
January 1, 2005

http://backintyme.com/essays/?p=12

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000699

-

[Surinam Peanut soup with two 'heads' of Tom-tom, watch out for the Scottish Bonnet pepper called Madame Jeanette!]

Recipe: http://surinaamsekeuken.web-log.nl/surinaamsekeuken/2004/05/pindasoep.html

You have made me very happy with this information. If you have more Yoruba titbits, I would be delighted. I’m at present under attack for my approach to internet and afro centrism. But I see that you also post as you please. I love the way Black people have a chance over here to talk without a police car pulling up to intimidate us.

We make a dish called ‘Tom-Tom nanga Bravu’ witch resembles this wonderful soup you have presented. Yours I would call the 'haute cuisine' version, because our Bravu has not this many ingredients, nor the extra things you do with the meat. I think we have some Oregano in Surinam, but I never saw it used. You might laugh, but I discovered this Oregano when I first came to Holland. The cook at the restaurant where I washed dishes would sprinkle this herb on my pizza, against my warnings, because it smelled like that awful weed I was cutting from my garden in Surinam. It smelled foul. Now I eat it all the time, and grow it too.

I’m fascinated with the ground crawfish, never saw it before. Perhaps we would use Trassi, purple, fermented shrimp paste from South East Asia. But not in these dishes, I would say.

We use All Spice, called Lont-ai (round eye), flat parsley and whole Scottish Bonnet peppers which we leave whole on top of the dish. Then you get only the aroma, not the intense heat.

We mix meats with smoked fish. I have never seen melon seed being used that way before. As far as I know we chuck them out. For snacks we eat peanuts. Peanuts, peanuts, peanuts! Then we pound cooked half green plantains, one ripe sweet one and lots of butter and some water, to make Tom-tom. I know about pounded yams, but I never saw it being made nor tasted it. We also make a peanut soup to go with Tom-tom.

This meal has a deep cultural feeling to it, as it was these foods which sustained our ancestors, the slaves. I now see my grandmother in her yard pounding away at plantains while my mother, as a handmaiden, added the butter and spoonfull's of hot water.

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

Not easy to say. At present we have a Black, thick lipped President, an Indian Prime-Minister and a Javanese Speaker of Parliament. The ministers crew is multiracial and nobody is left out. Perhaps they have their own spheres of influence. I hate the bickering and fighting while we could all be making love. When I was there the last time, at the motel, there were these beautiful....Well never mind. Just MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR!
That doesn't mean anything. People always playing politics and making something appear unified when it really isn't. I have friends from Suriname and I know that the Indians hate the black people there and they have all the power. It is no different in Guyana.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

That doesn't mean anything. People always playing politics and making something appear unified when it really isn't. I have friends from Suriname and I know that the Indians hate the black people there and they have all the power. It is no different in Guyana.
Sweetheart, or should I say Mera Humsafar, you sound very Kali-like, like a damn warmonger. Be more like Saraswati, please! I know about race conflicts in Guyana, but with Suriname, thank god, it never went that far. Now I see a lot of ethnic mixing in Suriname, which is great. Soon all families will have many races among them so there will be no one left to discriminate against. They should throw the Dutch out, though. They are re-colonising the damn country.
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Kali Ma, waging war against the sinners, sticking her tongue out in shame for her thirst of blood.
I understood that she is more revered in Guyana in this incarnation, than with the Surinam Indians.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Saraswati, the godess of music and art.

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

Sweetheart, or should I say Mera Humsafar, you sound very Kali-like, like a damn warmonger. Be more like Saraswati, please! I know about race conflicts in Guyana, but with Suriname, thank god, it never went that far. Now I see a lot of ethnic mixing in Suriname, which is great. Soon all families will have many races among them so there will be no one left to discriminate against. They should throw the Dutch out, though. They are re-colonising the damn country.
I am no devil worshipper so you can keep your Saraswati, whatever that is. Black people need to stick to their own ethnic group and stop mixing with those musty Indians. Blacks are doing nothing but breeding themselves out because they do not like themselves. Darling, people will always find something to discriminate agaisnt so mixing with one another will not help. I am happy that the Dutch is re-colonizing Suriname. Those damn musty, hairy, curry bathing fvcks need to be put in their place. You know the white man don't play.
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

PLEASE GO AWAY! YOU MADE YOUR POINT.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

I am no devil worshipper so you can keep your Saraswati, whatever that is. Black people need to stick to their own ethnic group and stop mixing with those musty Indians. Blacks are doing nothing but breeding themselves out because they do not like themselves. Darling, people will always find something to discriminate agaisnt so mixing with one another will not help. I am happy that the Dutch is re-colonizing Suriname. Those damn musty, hairy, curry bathing fvcks need to be put in their place. You know the white man don't play.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Photograph by Robert Caputo/Getty Images
Suriname's forests are home to the Maroons, people whose African slave ancestors escaped to the interior during the 17th and 18th centuries. Northern Indian Hindustanis, Creoles, and Javanese compose larger communities in this ethnically diverse nation.

Tranquil Tropical Waterfall

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Independence Day Parade: 25 November(1975)

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha'at Islam mosque in Paramaribo

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Party on the river

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Colakreek resort. About 45 kilomters from the capital Paramaribo.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

Fort Zeelandia. An old Dutch fortress in Paramaribo.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

http://schijnbaarmens.punt.nl/index.php?r=1&id=307779&tbl_archief=0#307779

-

The food ran into the house!

In Holland there is sometimes speak of a 'bird-plague.' It turns out to be free, range yard chickens running wild, sleeping in trees, invading gardens and shitting on cars.

This 'problem' could never exist in Surinam. These birds would never know what hit them!

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
The Netherlands

Not until the late 20th century did the Netherlands proper experience a large part of this population that looked so conspicuously different. Thus arose the question of how to incorporate these newcomers into Dutch society and culture, although the presence of newcomers in the population has been a characteristic feature of Dutch society for centuries. 13 While the largest single wave of immigration came upon the severing of ties between the Netherlands and her [End Page 476] former colony in Indonesia in 1949, and the demand for more inexpensive labor fueled vigorous recruitment of the so-called "guestworkers" from the Mediterranean lands in the 1960s and 1970s, the wave of 20th-century immigrants that has been the most conspicuous is that from the Dutch former colonies of Suriname and the Netherlands Antilles. Between 1970 and 1974 alone some 150,000 came from Suriname and 40,000 from the Antilles. The most distinctive feature of these groups, in addition to the suddenness of their influx, is the presence of immigrants of black African descent among the Surinamers and Antilleans. 14

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/callaloo/v021/21.3blakely.html
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Finished off a very pleasant vacation in Suriname, nearly Paradise. A physiognomy heaven too. You have a full meal for about 2-3 dollar, and can spend about 10 on a simple hotelroom. Lts to see especially during feasts and pageants. Music everywhere, friendly goodnatured people who speak english too.
The population of the main town has swollen with an influx of Marrons who bring all this wonderfull blackness, black hairstyles, fashions to the rest. Many albino's.

So I want to invite you all to visit Surinam while it's still free from rekolonisation and enslavement by its former coloniser and slave masters, helped by their helpfull housenegro's.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

I WILL BE SPENDING MORE TIME HERE...
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
DESI DELANO BOUTERS

-

-

NOW THIS MAN IS OUR NEW PRESIDENT, SURPRISING FRIEND AND FOE....
BUT HE CAN HELP US TO DECOLONISE AS THE DUTCH MANAGED TO PUT SUCH A SEVERE STIGMA ON HIM, LIKE HOW THEY WOULD BURN US WITH IRONS...

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

-

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com