EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Ancient Egyptian storytelling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian storytelling
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I need your help. I'm writing an article about modern Egyptian authors, but I want to add a little about ancient Egyptian storytelling.

Can someone give me a reliable link about the history of ancient Egyptian story telling? Also I read that the story of Cinderalla originated in ancient Egypt is that true?

Thank you very much

Yasmine

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The house of Horus is a cooperation of 14 Egyptologists, archeologists,and coptologists, and maybe they can help you.
http://www.huisvanhorus.nl/StandardForm.aspx?page=partners

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are is another good link about ancient Egyptian stories:

http://www.eternalegypt.org/EternalEgyptWebsiteWeb/HomeServlet?ee_website_action_key=action.display.module&module_id=254&language_id=1&story_id=38

As far as the 'Cinderella' story, it's unfair to say that particularl theme originated in Egypt since the Cinderalla theme is in fact global and spans many cultures around the world from Nigeria to China etc. but yes the oldest recorded version is the Egyptian one.

As for Egyptian stories in general, I will say they are more similar to other traditional stories and fables in Africa that involved moral themes centered around peoples and supernatural beings or even animals. Some of the stories involving animals bear a striking resemblance to the Brer Rabbit stories of West Africa.

Posts: 26322 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Cinderella story in Egypt was invented around the Greek Hellenistic era and not Dynastic Egyptians. That's what I got from google.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if the Egyptians had epics about mortal heroes performing great deeds a la Beowulf, Finn McCull, Rama, Hercules, Achilles, or Gilgamesh? The only heroic-sounding stories I've heard coming from Egypt involve gods as the protagonists (e.g. Horus against Seth, Ra against Apep). I've never known any Egyptian myth about a heroic mortal.
Posts: 7103 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:

I believe the Cinderella story in Egypt was invented around the Greek Hellenistic era and not Dynastic Egyptians. That's what I got from google.

That is likely the case since, the 'Cinderella' character or herione of the story was not even Egyptian but a slave from Greece who was not even Greek herself but came from a country just north of Greece!

quote:
Originally posted by T. Rex:

Does anyone know if the Egyptians had epics about mortal heroes performing great deeds a la Beowulf, Finn McCull, Rama, Hercules, Achilles, or Gilgamesh? The only heroic-sounding stories I've heard coming from Egypt involve gods as the protagonists (e.g. Horus against Seth, Ra against Apep). I've never known any Egyptian myth about a heroic mortal.

It's funny you should say this considering about all of the epic heroes you mentioned are of divine or semi-divine birth. One big difference I've noticed between Egyptian myths and those of their contemporaries in the ancient world is that the Egyptian gods do not intermingle with mortals the way deities of those other ancient cultures do. So in Egyptian stories there are no half-god heroes who perform incredible feats. There are only gods who perform incredible feats or mortal heroes who are purely human. So in the case of human protagonists, although they cannot perform anything incredible, when explicable or extraordinary things happen to them, they would just find a plausible way of dealing with it. A case in point would be 'The Shipwrecked Sailor'.
Posts: 26322 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com