EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » SPIKE LEE: AFRICAN AMERICAN MEN FOUGHT AT IWO JIMA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SPIKE LEE: AFRICAN AMERICAN MEN FOUGHT AT IWO JIMA
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

[Black troops at Iwo Jima]

Clint Eastwood and Spike Lee row over black soldiers
A war of words between two of Hollywood's star directors intensified as Spike Lee told Clint Eastwood: "We're not living on a plantation."

By Nick Allen
Last Updated: 1:23PM BST 09 Jun 2008

Clint Eastwood and Spike Lee Photo: REUTERS/EPA
The increasingly bitter feud between the two began when Lee, America's most influential black director, criticised five time Oscar winner Eastwood for not including black soldiers in his war movies, Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

Last week Eastwood responded by accusing Lee of historical ignorance and telling a British newspaper that the younger film-maker should "shut his face".

In round three of the encounter Lee launched a further salvo at the weekend on US television.

Lee said: "First of all, the man is not my father and we're not on a plantation either.

"He's a great director. He makes his films, I make my films and a comment like 'A guy like that should shut his face' - come on Clint, come on. He sounds like an angry old man right there.

"If he wishes I could assemble African-American men who fought at Iwo Jima and I'd like him to tell these guys that what they did was insignificant and they did not exist."

Lee, who has degrees from universities in Atlanta and New York, added; "I'm not making this up, I know history. I'm a student of history and I know the history of Hollywood and its omission of the one million African-American men and women who contributed to World War II. Not everything as John Wayne, baby."

Lee, who is making a Second World War film about an all-black US army division, said he wouldn't make any further comments about Eastwood, whose gritty acting roles included "Dirty Harry" Callahan.

He said: "Even though he's trying to have a Dirty Harry flashback I'm going to take the Obama high road and end it right here. Peace and love."
=====================================================

Clint has responded Spike and told him, among other things, to "shut his face."

CANNES, France - Spike Lee is slamming Clint Eastwood over his two recent Iwo Jima movies, saying the filmmaker overlooked the role of black soldiers during World War II.

Lee _ whose next film is this fall's "Miracle at St. Anna," the story of an all-black U.S. division fighting in Italy during the war _ said Eastwood's 2006 movies "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" were whites-only affairs.

"He did two films about Iwo Jima back to back and there was not one black soldier in both of those films," Lee said Tuesday at the Cannes Film Festival, where he was a judge in an online short-film competition.

"Many veterans, African-Americans, who survived that war are upset at Clint Eastwood. In his vision of Iwo Jima, Negro soldiers did not exist. Simple as that. I have a different version," Lee said.

Eastwood was in Cannes for his missing-child drama "Changeling," starring Angelina Jolie. At a news conference for the film, a reporter tried to ask for his reaction to Lee's criticism, but the moderator cut her off and told journalists to limit questions to Eastwood's own movie.

Due in U.S. theaters in October, "Miracle at St. Anna" centers on four Americans _ played by Derek Luke, Michael Ealy, Laz Alonso and Omar Benson Miller _ in the Buffalo Soldiers division in Tuscany.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife's uncle was there. He told us how when the Japanese over ran their position they only took his gun; but they killed the whites.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems to be a recurring inaction towards black soldiers during various wars.
Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true. As a result, towards the end of the Vietnam war all troops went on patrol with their faces darkened .

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that Blacks in America were only given more equality and civil rights after they participated in some horrible American war. This worries me, because its like joining the Maffia. First you have to kill to show your loyalty. Now Blacks and muslims in Europe seem to play this same role, and I hate it. I do not like the idea that descendants of Dutch slaves from Suriname will have to go and murder Afghani's, Iraqi's or Africans who want to be free in their own country.

In general this shows that even in 2008 Blacks are just ignored in history lessons. Another alternative is the cooptation of afro centric science by the eurocentrist establishment. This I also notice on this forum where Blacks seem to be allowed only to discuss slavery and egyptiology, endlessly. But not recent history, and the role of Africa and Blacks who were not slaves.

For me the reason is that Blacks and coloured's dominated Europe 1500-1789 as a despotic Blue blooded elite. This is why Black scholars are warned away from this part of history, if they want to have a place in academia. The eurocentric explanation has to do with how Black's are defined as 'SSA' and 'Caucasian Africans.' The Black's and coloured's are simply explained away as Caucasians, though described as black and brown in colour.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
So true. As a result, towards the end of the Vietnam war all troops went on patrol with their faces darkened .

The Vietnese would say; "Soul brothers, we have no fight with you. Go home Soul brothers". The white troops used to hate it and say the black troops weren't patriots because they wouldn't die for them. LOL
Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

THE VIETCONG SHOWED MORE HUMANITY THEN THOSE WHO WENT INTO THEIR COUNTRY TO ENSLAVE THEM.

quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:
quote:

The Vietnese would say; "Soul brothers, we have no fight with you. Go home Soul brothers". The white troops used to hate it and say the black troops weren't patriots because they wouldn't die for them. LOL

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

There is a RACIST CONTRACT in the West if you see how even today Blacks are portrayed in movies, how everything is so carefully arranged to promote White Supremacy. Sometimes I detest these stars, Black or White, who work in this horrible industry.

But regarding racism I would urge people to look for causes. What did Blacks do to make the White’s so angry? I reject the idea of Blacks as perpetual victims and Whites as forever evil. Does not fit with what I see around me.
================================================================

PURPOSE OF THE COURSE:
This course investigates the impact of race(ism) on US political development. Hence, the broad purpose of this course is to encourage students to think and write critically about the manner in which white supremacy, as a modern global system of thought and practice, came to function as the keystone in the making and maintenance of America. We will examine the manner in which modern Western ideas of racial superiority and inferiority legitimized the strategies of conquest, colonialism, genocide, enslavement, and land expropriation in the establishment of the United States as a white republic.
We will explore how whiteness has operated as the invisible norm in American political culture, a transparent, yet ubiquitous frame of reference so pervasive that even today most whites consider themselves absolved from race matters. We will investigate how white intellectuals have constructed the national identity as white, excluding any direct reference to African Americans and other people of color. We will examine closely how white supremacy operates to protect the power, privileges, profits, and pleasures that whiteness affords.
Finally, we will examine critically a number of contemporary public policy issues and the manner in which America continues to deny racial justice to African Americans and other people of color. In the last analysis, we will want to answer the following questions: What does it mean for Americans to speak and write about such lofty principles as freedom, justice, and equality, but then to devalue these values (historically and presently) by denying them to African Americans and other native populations? Does America’s racist political culture call into question the United States as a democratic polity?
Source: http://www.nathanielturner.com/raceinuspoliticssyllabus.htm

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not anymore when Obama becomes president [Roll Eyes]
My colleagues and I were most fearful of the effect Obama's corporate-rigged explosion onto the national scene would have on the black polity - both the masses and leadership circles. Obama's phony progressivism didn't fool us for a second - although we yearned as much as other African Americans for the appearance of a Great Black Hope. Obama wasn't "The One," no matter what Oprah said. Rather, he became a menace to black folks' collective mental health.

We knew that a mass hallucinatory phenomenon was about to occur, that would loosen many black folks' grips on reality no matter how often and loudly we warned that Barack Obama was a cynical corporate striver who encouraged whites to believe that his election would mark the end of black politics as we have known it. (Take breath, here.) He was the anti-Jesse, the anti-Sharpton, a fraudulent peace candidate, an eager servant of the rich. We diligently provided evidence of Obama's true political nature, and at every juncture before and during the primaries we were proven correct in our analysis. But no matter. African Americans' pent up hunger to see a (pretty) black face in the highest place, would not be denied. They desperately needed the Obama of their imaginings, and would draw and quarter anyone that questioned the senator's sainthood.

Were black folks "losing their damn minds," as comedian David Alan Grier puts it on Comedy Central's Chocolate News?

Yes, they were.

Black America became a fortress, impregnable to truth. The ever-mounting evidence of Obama's abhorrence of real social change beyond his own singular elevation; his fawning deference to big business; his call for an additional 100,000 soldiers and Marines; his early refusal to consider a moratorium on housing foreclosures; his reversal on electronic spying on Americans - none of these actual, real world occurrences could puncture the mass delusion. A kind of collective autism sealed off the African American mind from reality-based phenomena. The cruelest, blanket insults to African American dignity issued repeatedly from Obama's mouth, yet were gratefully accepted as proof of the candidate's "tough love" for "his people."

Fast forward to the present. Obama has awarded his administration's economic and imperial military portfolios to plundering investment bankers and their servants (Robert Rubin's derivative-addicted sidekicks) and endless-warriors (Iran-Contra super-spook and master of intrigue Robert Gates). In this scariest chapter of world history to date, the Secretaries of War (let's have some truth in language) and Treasury will be the dominant players in determining the nation's economic and military place on the planet. That's where the bulk of the national wealth will be diverted. Everyone else will scramble for crumbs. The store has already been given away to the military and economic Right. Thank you, Obama. Macro military and economic adventures and experiments will be the governmental order of the day - and whatever else happens will be sideshows, dwarfed by the massive movement of mega-money deployed to salvage the imperial system.

Which is why it is pitiful - and sad in the extreme - to hear influential black activists make a huge deal out of Obama's proposed White House Office on Urban Policy. "Just you wait and see," these wishful souls seem to be saying. "Obama's gonna come through for us. Yes, he will." As if a little advisory outfit tucked into the White House organizational chart will make a damn bit of difference as the giants of the cabinet battle over trillions.

Our world changed fundamentally between Obama's acceptance speech in August, and his endorsement of the banker bailout in early October. The bottom fell out of the global capitalist financial system. From now on, it's all crisis, all the time. Obama has done everything humanly possible to assure the Lords of Capital that he is at their service. His appointments prove it. But some African Americans - far too many - still labor under the illusion that a solemn pact exists between themselves and Obama. It is a belief based on blind faith and things unseen - or an imagined exchange of winks.

A prominent and highly intelligent, lifelong New York activist assures audiences that Barack Obama is winking at black folks, to confirm the understanding between the president-elect and his people. White folks can't see the wink, but if a black person looks closely - there it is! And black folks shouldn't hesitate to wink back at him, to acknowledge the secret we share.

I assume the organizer is speaking metaphorically, though I sometimes wonder. The point is, although it might appear that Obama has broken his commitment to African Americans (actually, he never made one), we should rest easy - his thoughts are with us. Whenever it seems like he's brushing us off, well, that's just his way of fooling the white folks - in our interests, of course.

When the psychological need is great enough, people will believe anything. But chasing mirages is no road to freedom.

quote:
My wife's uncle was there. He told us how when the Japanese over ran their position they only took his gun; but they killed the whites.

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?!

No one wants to comment Glen Ford's article??

Come one people!

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ATLn8ive
Member # 9678

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ATLn8ive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an amazing article. And we need more truth out there like that. It is certainly the best article I've read on Mr. Obama so far. The Capitalist/Corporate "Great Black Hope".... Black folks are so silly to have bought into him.
Posts: 7 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Profile for amd1588

Member Status: Junior Member
Member Number: 9678
Interests: Reading, Black studies
Birth Date: 10 December, 1988

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:
What?!

No one wants to comment Glen Ford's article??

Come one people!

There is something strange with this article/site. People showing false solidarity with Blacks in order to attack Obama.
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glen Ford is Black and well known writer, and the article was taken from weekly column from Black Agenda Report:

http://blackagendareport.com/

BTW, listen to this great debate:
 -
HERE

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Perhaps I was to hasty. But this article does not offer any solutions. Obama is SOMETHING, but what he really will mean for Blacks all over the world we have to wait and see. But I do not consider him a saint.
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
There is a RACIST CONTRACT in the West if you see how even today Blacks are portrayed in movies, how everything is so carefully arranged to promote White Supremacy. Sometimes I detest these stars, Black or White, who work in this horrible industry.

But regarding racism I would urge people to look for causes. What did Blacks do to make the White’s so angry? I reject the idea of Blacks as perpetual victims and Whites as forever evil. Does not fit with what I see around me.

You can thank the Jew for this. They control the networks, write the scripts and select the characters.

Why are they so angry at blacks?
Likely due to their being descended from Albinos (Semite) who Africans treated very badly.

Thanks for posting this. This is event is but a few blocks from me.
 -

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:

Why are they so angry at blacks?
Likely due to their being descended from Albinos (Semite) who Africans treated very badly.

WHERE, WHEN, HOW?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000875

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com