EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Cheap imports were why Africans sold millions of slaves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheap imports were why Africans sold millions of slaves
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some time in the middle of the 1600s many Akan people who were buying slaves from the Europeans actually reversed and began to import gold and selling slaves. The slaves of course were shipped to America and mined gold.

Despite making huge profits on the slave trade many Africans often imported things that were inferior to what they could themselves could produce. At least in some instances I think goods were imported because they were inferior and thus cheaper. Many of the slaves brought to America already had a great deal of knowledge of cotton...

The Rise of Dahomey and the slave trade:

p. 260

quote:
The importance of imported goods in royal largesse was already clear in 1720s, when Bulfinch Lamb noted that the king of Dahomey ‘gives away Booges [cowries] like Dirt, and Brandy like Water’… It is somewhat ironic peukert points to the existence of a flourishing local exchange economy in Dahomey as part of his argument for the downgrading of the significance of overseas trade. But the flourishing local trade, lubricated by a currency of imported cowry shells, was evidently, in large measure, itself a consequence of the booming Atlantic trade
http://www.fiu.edu/~ogundira/Law_Historiography_of_the_Rise_of_Dahomey.pdf

P. 187
quote:

In this way the Portuguese manipulated the money market of the southern hemisphere in much the same way as the Spanish manipulated the silver market of the northern hemisphere. The outcries of later Kongo kings against t he reduction of their revenue by the flooding of the country with foreign monetary shells resembles in many ways a similar body of literature generated in sixteenth-century Europe over the influx of “Spanish Silver”.

http://www.fiu.edu/~ogundira/Thornton_Early_Kongo_Portuguese_Relations.pdf

[/quote]

quote:

Economy

- Dahomey had a monetary system: cowry shells were the basic currency, but trade goods were used also—guns, bolts of cloth etc.

- Europeans tried to take advantage of this currency; they brought so many cowry shells that the shells lost value (inflation). As a result, European trade goods became the basic currency used in the purchase of slaves.

- farming was very important; agriculture was mostly carried out by men, usually in communal gangs of young men; this was different from most of the rest of Africa where women did most of the agricultural work. However, there were many artisans also who made products in addition to farming.

- the market economy mostly involved producers selling to consumers,but some women acted as middlemen. The latter would travel from market to market buying and selling goods.

- all trade with Europeans was a royal monopoly and guarded jealously by successive kings; kings never allowed Europeans to bypass and trade directly with people in the kingdom. As a military, predatory state, the costs of government and the military were high; thus,the king needed all the revenue from taxes and the profits of trade that he could get .

- Europeans and their influence were confined to one port on the coast—Whydah.

- permission to go inland, especially to the capital, was given only infrequently and as a special favour; because so few Europeans were allowed in, there were only a limited number of eyewitness accounts in spite of the long history of trade and contacts; no missionaries were allowed in.

http://stmarys.ca/~wmills/course316/7Dahomey.html
Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My theory is the disintegration of many African states was due to the devaluing of their currency.

Dahomey, which is a precolonial kingdom formed during the slave trade, was able to adapt and benefit from it. Ironicly that might mean slave trading was what kept many from disintegrating. Dahomey was able to conquer several towns that were going through chaos and then seize control of the slave trade

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man shut up.

Africa is not synonymous with slavery.

What the hell is wrong with your mind?

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:
Man shut up.

I'm morbid

-

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now it seems America is going to get "Walmarted".

quote:
Originally posted by cumbucketqueerqueen 104:
Man shut up.

Sarcastic neo-euro-NAZI oldtimer: I doubt you've got the brains to explain who expressed those beliefs and how.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alive-(What Box) wrote:

------------------------------
------------------------------

Awwwww, you want some attention.

You ain't gettin mine.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] [Cool]
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troll Exterminator
Member # 14571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troll Exterminator         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrakaCoon Buckwheat:

Awwwww, you want some attention.

You ain't gettin mine.

Hey rastafarian faggot-cancer holocaust enforcer, you've been struggling to expose your vagina hole to every male on this board, seeking attention from them left & right, and now you don't want to provide some.

Come on, on your knees & worship the man's dick, slave ass-whipped caribbean CrackaCoon Buckwheat...

-  -

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ lol [Big Grin] . I like this guy's style. No-nonsense. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ausarianstein:
Hey rastafarian faggot-cancer holocaust enforcer,

Did you say holocaust Ausarianstein? I thought since your beatdown you wouldn't ever think of mentioning that word again. Oh well you know the drill boy, go back here and face your obligations or bow down and worship your superior.

-  -

Incidentally, your co-religionists are suffering the same fate, maybe you have some advice for them on how to handle a nervous breakdown. Lol

Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Herukhuti wrote:

-----------------------------
-----------------------------

Too bad this sick individual calls the people of your country and region (in effect you yourself) gorillas.

Troll Exterminator
Member # 14571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troll Exterminator         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASSopenForDick, Jamaica’s no. #1 fuckstick-clinging parasite - hey rub that residual cum lather of your mouth, come an’ worship my dick, will ya…

-  -

Kneel, chichicunt! Kneel before yo slave masta...I mean, my dick!

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troll Exterminator
Member # 14571

Actually rastafarian CrakaCoon, it is you who comes from the land of gorillas. I can tell the difference between civilized and groomed human beings and under-developed jungle apes [e.g. you].
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dear akoben,
quote:

-  -
^^ BLOW ON DEEZ [Big Grin]

Kind Regards,

YH.

Akoben, Why can't you ever do anything original? [Frown] Why do you have to always steal other peoples insults (often directed at YOU). Do you not know how to use the right hemisphere of your brain, no? [Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Herukhuti:
quote:
Originally posted by akoben:
quote:

Did you say holocaust Ausarianstein? I thought since your beatdown you wouldn't ever think of mentioning that word again. Oh well you know the drill boy, go back here and face your obligations or bow down and worship your superior.

-  -

Incidentally, your co-religionists are suffering the same fate, maybe you have some advice for them on how to handle a nervous breakdown. Lol

Why can't you ever do anything original? [Frown] Why do you have to always steal other peoples insults (often directed at YOU). Do you not know how to use the right hemisphere of your brain, no? [Big Grin]
Lol, so true so true. If anyone hasn't noticed by now that jackassoben is a copycatting parrot, then now you know lol.

Ex: Alt called me whiskey, now jackassoben calls me whiskey.

I said he was squirming, then he repeats it back to me, and rasol saying we're squirming.

I called him a dunce, and posted a donkey pic. What does he do? Of course he repeats it back and uses it on other people as well. lol

That's why, I once asked him, why would/does he repeat the same thing back to me, that I just insulted him on?

Jackassoben, Peewee Herman in the face, repeating I know you are but what am I...........

Poor poor jackassoben

-

Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Exterminator:
Actually rastafarian CrakaCoon, it is you who comes from the land of gorillas. I can tell the difference between civilized and groomed human beings and under-developed jungle apes [e.g. you].

I take this as a no then.... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Knowledgeiskey718:
why would/does he repeat the same thing back to me

Because you are squirming dunce whiskey. LOL
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akoben:
quote:
why would/does he repeat the same thing back to me

Because you are squirming dunce whiskey. LOL
Case and point proven.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000505;p=39#001917

Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called you KnowledgeWhiskey as an accolade.
I deemed the knowledge you impart like a good
shot of whiskey. I said it once I'll say it again,
give me a double shot of that KnowledgeWhiskey
100 proof aged and mellowed in soul.

quote:
Lol, so true so true. If anyone hasn't noticed by now that jackassoben is a copycatting parrot, then now you know lol.

Ex: Alt called me whiskey, now jackassoben calls me whiskey.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

^^^Al, I know. I was just showing how Akoben is an unoriginal parroting jackass.
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Troll Exterminator wrote:
--------------------------------
--------------------------------

aahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaaha

I've rattled his cage once again. He's his name yet again and is going with yet another persona.

What a poor loon. Its so easy to pull his chain.

LOL : )

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com