EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » 1975 film, Xala [Senegalese], and Obama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1975 film, Xala [Senegalese], and Obama
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From here. You need to click the link to view the pictures [they are amazing!]

-
Footage of the uninspiring and stilted dancing displayed by Barack and Michelle instantly reminded me of the late Ousmane Sembene's superb 1975 film, Xala. El Hadji (pictured below, on the right) is a Senegalese politician, cursed with impotence upon the day of his marriage to his third wife.

-
Xala is really a satire depicting the failure of new governments in independent Africa. The impotence of El Hadji being the symbol for that failure, and the speed with which many new administrations failed (or were unable) to break away from the influence (and often, control) of the former colonial power. Xala also details beautifully, and hilariously, the greed of the first flush of independent Africa's politicians. The film begins with the defeat of the French. Within minutes, two French colonial administrators (below), who have just fled the central governing office, are seen returning with brief-cases.
 -
They enter the offices of the new independent adminstration - the new African government feigning some shock - and immediately open the brief-cases, to display wads of cash. The new administration is swiftly smiling and nodding pleased little heads. One of the French men remains behind, and becomes El-Hadji's right-hand man. In fact, he becomes his advisor, financier and minder.

-
So when I watched the footage of Barack at his desk for the first time signing executive orders, surrounded as he was by four or five officials (all white), again, I thought of Xala, and wondered what the great Sembene (below) would have been thinking now were he still with us.
 -
I know what I'm thinking. And what I'm hoping. But for now, I'm keeping that to myself. I think BO should be given a chance - to prove us wrong, or prove us right, or prove once again what a masterly film-maker the late Sembene was, making films that were timeless in their interpretations of power, greed and humanity.

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwa, honestly you need to get a clue. You don't know anything about Obama.

Do some research on the dude, his past ACTIONS, his BELIEFS (religious and otherwise) and also his WORDS. Stop digging up rubbish. I'm quite disappointed that all you're interested in is finding dirt on America's first Black president.

You're acting very unpatriotic. You're almost doing a better job than that arsehole who goes by the name of "finished".

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a big difference "digging up rubbish" and be critical, Horus.

So, tell us, what part of the analogue did not you like?

Remember on his inauguration speech? The guy even did not deny that the war on terror will be infinite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7U6oYWYiQ

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha...Arwa, Obama is certainly not impotent as can be seen from his two girls.
However, Obama definitely has no rhythm and can't dance worth a lick. During the inauguration ball dances, he must have stepped on her dress 200 times. Two left feet. Michelle had to carry him and lead while making it appear he was leading.

We saw him on The Ellen show doing the white people dance and the white women went wild.
Michelle is the Obama with the black rhythm.
She can dance, and she is also the aggressive one of the two in the sex department which is why they have two girls instead of boys.

Lastly, is Obama getting grafts from whites? No doubt! He is a career politician, and that is part of the psych and job.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:
there is a big difference "digging up rubbish" and be critical, Horus.

So, tell us, what part of the analogue did not you like?

Remember on his inauguration speech? The guy even did not deny that the war on terror will be infinite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7U6oYWYiQ

My point is, he needs to be judged by his ACTIONS. He's only had A FEW DAYS in office, REMEMBER???

And he did shut down Guantanamo Bay and outlawed torture (which was going on AS IF IT'S A NORMAL THING TO DO under George Bush) on day 2 of his presidency.

And try listening to his words OUTSIDE of political rhetoric designed to appeal to *ALL* Americans. Try digging up some info on him before 2007/2008 and you might just be suprised.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you wish, Horus.

How about this. The guy has not been on office more than 72 hours and he is already a war criminal?

I hope not, Horus, you will forgive his actions on the following source, otherwise you are not true to yourself and your ideals. Why can't you see beyond the colourline, Horus? Why is he different than many African leaders in our countries? Why do you treat him differently? Why do you defend the system he presents, the same system that caused misery in our countries? Do you really think he will change all that?

Now read this: (also notice, it is always me who brings sources that support my arguments. Where is yours, Horus?)

-
By Margaret Kimberley

Let the Killing Begin
quote:
I was among the crush of humanity in Washington on Tuesday, January 20th. It was a strange place to be for an opponent of Barack Obama, the Democratic party, the Republican party, the military and prison industrial complexes, the Israeli lobby, and the Wall Street banksters, to name but a few.

Just when I wondered if anyone else knew they were witnessing dumbed down mass hysteria I turned and saw a brave/foolish soul protesting among the mostly zombified hordes. Adam Kokesh is a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War and a committed activist who I once heard speak at a peace forum here in New York. Adam stood atop a barricade and displayed a sign which read "Occupation is Still a Crime" on one side and "Obama: Future War Criminal" on the other.

Of course, American presidents always end up being war criminals at some point in their terms of office, but Obama was especially speedy. On Friday, just 72 hours after assuming the presidency, American attack drones killed 22 people in Pakistan. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs wouldn't respond to questions regarding the first pile of dead bodies created by the Obama administration.
In less than one week, the Obama administration continues the Bush administration policy of carrying out military actions in Pakistan against the wishes of the Pakistani government, and the press can't be bothered to ask more than two or three questions about it. At least they are being consistent with the new president, showing the same degree of deference to him as they did to his predecessor.

I should point out that Adam received a mixed reaction from the crowd around him. Some looked on curiously, some took pictures. He was greeted by people who appeared to know him. There were surprised and angry reactions too.

One woman said, "That is an ugly sign." I felt compelled to speak up and said that the sign was beautiful. The woman responded that I should look at the other side, the "war criminal" side. I replied that it was indeed beautiful. Obama had publicly stated many times that he would continue warfare in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq, which would result in deaths, which was certainly criminal.

I got into similar verbal scuffles on Adam's behalf. Actually I should say on democracy's behalf. There will be precious little of that when we have a president who is sitting in the cat bird seat with an idol worshipping population prostrate at his feet.

Let the war crimes continue.

nomorelies
Member # 16201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwa, what do you think of what he's done so far?

Signed orders to close Gitmo, Israel high-tailing out of Gaza upon inaguration, repeated commitments to get all troops out of Iraq within the year.

There will always be the threat of war because some are just a-holes (Korea, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe) that need their butts whipped to let their people enjoy life.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:
As you wish, Horus.

How about this. The guy has not been on office more than 72 hours and he is already a war criminal?

I hope not, Horus, you will forgive his actions on the following source, otherwise you are not true to yourself and your ideals. Why can't you see beyond the colourline, Horus? Why is he different than many African leaders in our countries? Why do you treat him differently? Why do you defend the system he presents, the same system that caused misery in our countries? Do you really think he will change all that?

Now read this: (also notice, it is always me who brings sources that support my arguments. Where is yours, Horus?)

-
By Margaret Kimberley

Let the Killing Begin
quote:
I was among the crush of humanity in Washington on Tuesday, January 20th. It was a strange place to be for an opponent of Barack Obama, the Democratic party, the Republican party, the military and prison industrial complexes, the Israeli lobby, and the Wall Street banksters, to name but a few.

Just when I wondered if anyone else knew they were witnessing dumbed down mass hysteria I turned and saw a brave/foolish soul protesting among the mostly zombified hordes. Adam Kokesh is a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War and a committed activist who I once heard speak at a peace forum here in New York. Adam stood atop a barricade and displayed a sign which read "Occupation is Still a Crime" on one side and "Obama: Future War Criminal" on the other.

Of course, American presidents always end up being war criminals at some point in their terms of office, but Obama was especially speedy. On Friday, just 72 hours after assuming the presidency, American attack drones killed 22 people in Pakistan. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs wouldn't respond to questions regarding the first pile of dead bodies created by the Obama administration.
In less than one week, the Obama administration continues the Bush administration policy of carrying out military actions in Pakistan against the wishes of the Pakistani government, and the press can't be bothered to ask more than two or three questions about it. At least they are being consistent with the new president, showing the same degree of deference to him as they did to his predecessor.

I should point out that Adam received a mixed reaction from the crowd around him. Some looked on curiously, some took pictures. He was greeted by people who appeared to know him. There were surprised and angry reactions too.

One woman said, "That is an ugly sign." I felt compelled to speak up and said that the sign was beautiful. The woman responded that I should look at the other side, the "war criminal" side. I replied that it was indeed beautiful. Obama had publicly stated many times that he would continue warfare in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq, which would result in deaths, which was certainly criminal.

I got into similar verbal scuffles on Adam's behalf. Actually I should say on democracy's behalf. There will be precious little of that when we have a president who is sitting in the cat bird seat with an idol worshipping population prostrate at his feet.

Let the war crimes continue.

Yes, he hasn't been in office for more than "72 hours". What sources beyond regular news feeds on Obama's ACTIONS could possibly exist in the first 72 hours... [Roll Eyes]

You're missing my point. My point is that you need to stop the Spanish inquisition on the first Black president of the U.S. At least give him till the end of the first quarter of the year before you bring out your knife.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com