EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Quotes: George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quotes: George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"God protect me from the gifted amateur."

"America is the land of the free, where everyone is free to suppress the liberties of others."

"The article told of the efforts of a Harvard graduate, a Dr. Sears, back in 1936, to encourage Shaw to accept an honorary doctorate from Harvard on the occasion of the tercentenary of the school's founding. Shaw replied in words to the effect that, while thanks for the good thought, he didn't think it appropriate for him to be accepting honorary degrees from schools such as Harvard because for many years he had been advocating that the best thing that places like Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, the Sorbonne, etc., "and other such ancient corrupters of youth" could do would be to burn themselves to the ground and sow the ground with salt so that they could never arise again. I never will forget the astonished look on the faces of the young people in that room to hear such anarchic and revolutionary sentiments regarding such treasured icons of our society issuing from the pen of one who had so long preceded the revolutionary 1960s!"
How I found Shaw, by Isidor Saslav

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."

"A learned man is an idler who kills time with study. Beware of his false knowledge: it is more dangerous than ignorance."

"All great truths begin as blasphemies. "

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sista,u look like u ready fi de revolution you don't have to wait for us men you know,take charge if we no ready.we will catch up soon enough [Wink]
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ackee,

Thanks for the sweet words [Smile] I'd not call it revolution, but trying to see the trees of the forest, and God forbid, I'm not trying to impose my thinking to other people. For one thing I dislike in this world is people who blind follow other people -- especially when it comes to religious circle. It makes me literary sick! I had one conversation with these sheep yesterday, and can you believe there is a formal how to ask questions to "scholars"? It made so angry yesterday and still am.

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
It might not succeed for me to find the trees of the forest, but at least I am trying

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." -- George Bernard Shaw

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com