EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Did The Yoruba Invented The Concept Of Cool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did The Yoruba Invented The Concept Of Cool
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok before anybody start to protest,just about every culture has art,music,poetry etc.what i am talking about is cool as a concept.In addition to Ashe,Iwa(character)is another crucially important consideration in Yoruba religion and art. the Yoruba impart to many figurations a sense of ideal noble character by details of attitude and gesture as well as the use sometimes of white-colored media.Character is a force infusing physical beauty with everlastingness.Beauty is a part of coolness but beauty does not have the force that character has.beauty comes to an end but character last foreever. The importance of good character(iwa rere),which is virtually synonymous with coolness,the gentle generosity of character(iwa pele)is poetically rendered by the yoruba:a man maybe very very handsome,handsome as a fish within water but if he has no character he is no more than a wooden doll.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constant smiling is not a Yoruba characteristic,sealed lips,frequent in yoruba statury,are a "sign of seriousness". they too,imply the coolness of the image,his mouth is cool(enu e tutu),which is one of the ways the Yoruba would say,he fell silent.like character coolness ought to be internalized as a governing principle for a person to merit the high praise "his heart is cool"(okan e tutu).In becoming sophisticated,a Yoruba adept learns to differentiate between forms of spritual coolness:1 direct sacrifice(ebo)the cooling of the gods by giving of cherished objects-such as proffering of a ram to the thunder god;and 2 propitiation(irele),the utterance of conciliatory words or acts to hardened or angered deities,entreating them to become generous and concerned at the time of crisis.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay-Sayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yoruba concept of "cool" is referred to as "Itutu", IIRC...
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So heavily charged is this concept with ideas of beauty and correctness that a fine carnelian bead or a passage of exciting drumming may be praised as cool.coolness,then is a part of character,and character objectifies proper custom.to the degree that we live generously and discreetly,exhibiting grace under pressure.our apperance and our acts gradually assume virtual royal power.as we become noble, fully realizing the spark of creative goodness god endowed us with the shining ororo bird of thought and aspiration we find the confidence to cope with all kinds of situtions,this is ashe(the power to make things happen),this character,this is mystic coolness.taken from the book {Flash OF The Spirit.}
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Nay-Sayer are you Yoruba by chance?then we in the west owe a lot of our attitude about cool to your people.bigup the yoruba dem man.when i the chance i will try and post something on the real originators of" FUNK". [Big Grin]
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ACKEE YOU HAVE OFFICIALLY BECOME MY FAVOURITE EGYPTSEARCH CHARACTER. [Smile]

I am Yoruba and I must say I appreciate all the love man and all the data. Could you by any chance point me to where you dug up all that good data?

Mo tutu bi omi agbon. [Cool]

quote:
Originally posted by ackee:
Constant smiling is not a Yoruba characteristic,

You know me too well.

quote:
Originally posted by ackee:
Did The Yoruba Invented The Concept Of Cool?

You bet.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Hey Herukuti,just spreading a little knowlage when i can mon,so far i have taken more from this forum than i have put into it.the info came from the book,FLASH OF THE SPIRIT.really cool [Cool]
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Oh that book. It's been on my wishlist a few months now. I'll get it sometime.

What part of Japan did you say you are from again? Curious since u mentioned it being a 'Brooklyn' area or something like that.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Hey herukhuti,Yes I grew up in Brooklyn,but now resides in Fukouka Japan.
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Yoruban Art
 -
Yoruban bead work
 -
VCUarts Anderson Gallery Exhibition

This exhibition explores the relationship between art and the spiritual world in Yoruba culture through nearly 70 works in diverse media. For the Yoruba, one of Africa’s oldest and most influential cultures, art is inherently intertwined with spirituality, giving visual form to the divine and inspiring religious devotion. In turn, art is empowered by spiritual forces.The exhibition includes shrines and beaded regalia that honor the supreme deity of the Yoruba, as well as ritual implements that aid spiritual communication and spectacular masks that dramatize the sublime. It features significant works from the Bernard and Patricia Wagner Collection, many of which are recent gifts to the organizing institutions, along with major pieces from the collections of The Newark Museum and the High Museum of Art
esterknows.com/misc/embodying-the-sacred-in-y...

-
Sword and scabard bead work
Elaborately adorned ceremonial swords known as udamalore comment upon the exalted status of high-ranking Owo chiefs. The delicately carved ivory sword is housed in an intricately beaded sheath and worn horizontally on the left hip during yearly festivals. The udamalore announces its owner as a famous and respected person of high rank who has power and influence in the affairs of the community. It further signals that the wearer is "well-born," meaning he hails from a respected family and is a leader prepared to meet life's challenges
www.metmuseum.org/.../11/sfg/ho_1993.500.1.htm

-
Shango Beaded
 -
Pendant 1809  -

The Horseman
 -

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
! [Cool]
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
bump for good measure.
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Che figata!  -
Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com