EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » What was sold northward through the Sahara? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What was sold northward through the Sahara?
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the bellow mean that the "Sudanese" had a monopoly on producing iron over their Saharan counterparts? Were iron products a major commodity being sold northward across the Sahara? Most things I read seem silent about much of the things being sold northward. W.E.B DuBois talks about some of the industries and exports. Many sources actually say that African agriculture rivals that of the Chinese!

But does anyone know anything about the iron industry and Trans-Saharan trade?

"The question of the Iron Age in Africa"

http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/ftopic2396.php

quote:
H. Lhote, to whom one must render hommage, observed that:

1. the bellows made of pottery is original and exclusive to the Sudan

2. that the Berbers in the Sahara are not metallurgists: they mistrusted iron-working (the 'Enaden' are mostly repairmen)

3. no traces of blast furnaces have been found in the Sahara even though iron is present but the nearby peoples do not on their own know how to work iron;

4. there are numerous traces of blast furnaces in the Sudanese zone up to the 16th northern parallel [4]

5. the northern limits to finding these blast furnaces are found up to approximately the southern reaches of the BRZL linguistic family that uses a word of semitic origin for iron

W.E.B DuBois

http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/webdubois/DuBoisNegro-ConservationRaces6x9.pdf

page 88

quote:
“The masterpieces of the Monbutto [Mangbettu] smiths are the fine chains worn as ornaments, and which in perfection of form and fineness compare well with our best steel chains.” Shubotz in 1911 called the Mangbettu “a highly cultivated people” in architecture and handicraft. Barth found copper exported from Central Africa in competition with European copper at Kano.
Page 91

quote:

Black Africa was for a long time an exporter of iron, and even in the twelfth century exports to India and Java are recorded by Idrisi.

The Negro is a born trader. Lenz says, “our sharpest European merchants, even Jews and Armenians, can learn much of the cunning
and trade of the Negroes.” We know that the trade between Central Africa and Egypt was in the hands of Negroes for thousands of years, and in early days the cities of the Sudan and North Africa grew rich through Negro trade.

Leo Africanus, writing of Timbuktu in the sixteenth century, said, “It is a wonder to see what plentie of Merchandize is daily brought
hither and how costly and sumptuous all things be.... Here are many shops of artificers and merchants and especially of such as weave linnen and cloth.”

Long before cotton weaving was a British industry, West Africa and the Sudan were supplying a large part of the world with cotton cloth. Even to-day cities like Kuka on the west shore of Lake Chad and Sokota are manufacturing centers where cotton is spun and woven, skins tanned, implements and iron ornaments made.

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok this is actually off topic but W.E.B Dubois mentioned Idrisi above. It might sound suspicious that I'm saying all these works are mistranslated but there is a website about literature on the land of Zanj and I swear most of it is mistranslated in a very racist way. Gaining an accurate picture of this history will require gaining accurate translations. I'm interested in learning more about iron exports from places in Africa. I'm pretty sure the bellow is greatly distorted text he goes form talking about iron coming from Sofala and then saying Indian iron is the best iron in the world and no one can deny it!

Al Idrisi (1150) (Kitab Ruyar) written in Sicily

http://sites.google.com/site/historyofeastafrica/al-idrisi

quote:
The Zanj have no ships in which they can voyage, but boats land in their country from Oman, as do others that are going to Zabaj (or Djawaga) (Endonezya). These foreigners sell their goods there, and buy the produce of the country. The inhabitants of Zabaj (or Djawaga) call at Zanj in both large and small ships (zawariq wa marakib kubar) and trade their merchandise with them, as they understand each other's language. The Zendj have at the bottom of their hearts a great respect for the Arabs. For this reason, when they see an Arab, whether a traveler or merchants they prostrate themselves before him. They say in their language: Welcome son of Yemen. The visitors to this country steal their children, enticing them away by means of giving them fruit. They carry the children from place to place and finally take possession of them and carry them off to their own country. Because the people of Zangibar or numerous and are short on food. The ruler from the island of Qais (or Keish) in the sea of Oman (opposite Muscat, the port that became important after the decline of Siraf) had 505 ships with which he used to raid the Zanj coast for slaves and he makes many captives....

....This section embraces the description of the remainder of the country of Sofala
You first find two towns or better two big villages, in-between there are villages and camps that resemble those of the Arabs. Those big villages are called Djantama and Dandama (Chindi and Quilimane?) They are situated at the sea shore and rather small. The inhabitants are poor, miserable, and without resources to support them except iron, of this metal there are numerous mines in the mountains of Sofala. People of the Zabag (or Zanedj or Raneh) come hither for iron, which they carry to the continent and islands of India where they sell it for good money, because it is an object of big trade and it has a huge market in India. For although there is good quality iron in the islands and in the mines of that country, it does not equal the iron of Sofala for its quality and its malleability. The Indians are masters in the arts of working it. They prepare and mix the substances so that through fusion one gets the soft steel normally called: India steel. They have factories that make the best swords in the world. This is how in iron Sind, Serenbid and Yemen rival among each other in quality through local circumstances, as well as the art of manufacturing, the pouring of the steel, the smelting, and the beauty of the polished surface. But nothing cuts better then this iron from India. Everybody knows that and nobody can deny it.

Posts: 2642 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I appreciate any information anyone can give about iron exports or anything like this. I believe this may be very significant to the overall history
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
An old article "Medieval trans-Sahara mineral trade mapped"

http://www.afrol.com/articles/18867

quote:

A thousand years ago, after Islam had spread into the Sahel, the trans-Sahara camel caravan trade was flowering. It has been known for a long time that mainly gold and later slaves were the most desired West African products for the Arabs at the Mediterranean coast. So far, historians have argued that salt was the main trade product brought southwards, but new research adds copper to the favourite products of West Africans in the 11th to 16th century....

One of the questions Mr Fenn wants to answer concerns the sources of copper and other raw materials that became manufactured goods that were traded throughout the region. Specifically, why were metal workers in a sophisticated metallurgical industry in sub-Saharan Africa importing copper ingots when there were perfectly good copper ore deposits nearby?

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I've read that copper mining was a very important source of revenue to the Mali empire there are allot of complexities here.
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I really hope more is looked into this
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
alTakruri the other time I brought this up all you did was insult me. How could steel production be highly advantageous to the Japanese with their technology but this advantage not be applied here? Wouldn't a people with a certain knowledge and technology have an upper hand?

The article seems to suggest that the "Sudan" had a knowledge of iron smelting technology that people in the north didn't have. Is the article wrong? If it is then fine but still the high level of knowledge and technology of many "Sudanese" industries would still allow for an advantage, I would think

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If what I wrote before was insulting then here
allow me to insult you again with the same set
of facts.

In a thread I posted years ago it was shown that
iron metallurgy was an independent invention of
inner Africans.

Northern coastal Africans had no iron metallurgy
of their own.

A certain air surrounded iron technologists. They
were looked at in awe because of the nature of
their productions.

For the most part they formed endogamous castes
outside of whatever ethny they were attached to.
They were never in control of the society of their
ethnic affiliation.

Please don't worry me about this again.
Have it your way, however you see it.
I really don't give a damn.
===

I tire of all you who have just begun studying
Africana and come up with these wild ox ideas.
I tire of those who've studied Africana for
decades yet haven't advanced beyond 19th and
early 20th century Africanists' notions.
I tire of enthusiasts of whatever rank who
ignore parsimony and advance the most convoluted
explanations for ethnic origins and associations.

But it is all y'alls day now on these forums.
You have triumphed and displaced the veterans.
Enjoy!

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alTakruri wrote:
----------------------------------
But it is all y'alls day now on these forums.
You have triumphed and displaced the veterans.
Enjoy!
----------------------------------

And the fools don't realize that no intelligent individual takes them for anything other than court jesters.

No one takes anything thing they say with any seriousness.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

For the most part they formed endogamous castes
outside of whatever ethny they were attached to.
They were never in control of the society of their
ethnic affiliation.

Stop saying that. I didn't say they controlled the society I said the society was in an advantageous position because they had these kinds of technology.

This needs to be taken seriously, like I said the Japanese became important in the modern world because of their technology.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Answer me this. Did the gold trade give an advantage to empires that controlled the gold trade?

If the answer is yes then the societies with this iron technology and various crafts and industries had an advantage

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I made a comment about blacksmiths being lower caste and kind of questioned it but who the hell cares. My point was societies with these skills have an advantage, if the blacksmiths of the Zaghawa were lower caste it doesn't change that the Zaghawa would have an advantage.

quote:
Why don't we try dealing in facts instead of theories.

Show me in the histories of Europe or Asia where
craftsmen and "people with the knowledge" "have
an edge" over the people of the government and
their militants thus forcing them into reliance.

“History of domestic and foreign commerce of the United States, Volumes 1-2”

http://books.google.com/books?id=NDUaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=#v=onepage&q=&f=false

quote:
Again, Great Britain was developing in industry more rapidly than was the continent of Europe, and hence was not only a better market for exported foods but was also able better to supply America with the manufactures which the people of the United States required. When the British monopoly of American trade was terminated by the Revolution and the staple articles of export from America were no longer "enumerated," but were free to go to any market in the world, there proved to be little demand for the articles outside of Great Britain, where they had previously been sold…..

…..One other reason that may be noted as in part accounting for the control of American trade by Great Britain after the Revolution was that many, if not most, of the staple articles of manufactures desired by American buyers were made better in Great Britain and sold more cheaply there than in continental Europe. As an illustration of this, Lord Sheffield cites the fact that "when France granted a sum of money to Congress for clothing the American troops, Mr. Laurens, Jr., was employed to provide it; but instead of laying out the money in France he went to Holland and bought English cloths and sent them to America."

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Again did the gold trade give the African empires who controlled it an advantage. Did the Industrial revolution give industrial nations an advantage in world affairs?

There is no evidence that I've ever suggested blacksmiths gained authority just one little comment questioning something about lower caste, something very very insignificant. That empires that had such blacksmiths would have a trading advantage is both obvious and an important aspect of history

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
And yes it is insulting to twist what a person says with no reason. You have no justification to come to the conclusions that you did, you showed no evidence that I think blacksmiths gained authority, I have gone into some detail about Africans having trading supremacy. Why did outsiders remain so ignorant of most of Africa throughout the ages until modern times? It was so these Africans could secure trade routes and also gain control and influence in the outside world

This very obviously ties in with African industries when it comes to trading supremacy

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

Likewise, imperialism is primarily defined by force of arms not by force of craftsmen. Name one empire that was not built on and maintained by military conquest and political domination.

There are none.

Ya so I say there is imperialism through force of arms, culture and religion and economic. That I stated these factors a person would normally conclude that I'm saying all these factors come together when it comes to how nations have imperial domination. I have at various times talked about the importance of African soldiers (mercenaries) and that many societies were reliant on Africans ultimately means cultural imperialism to some extent. That "Sudanese" soldiers fought in wars in Persian, Greek, Muslim armies ect. brings force of arms into a factor because they could influence the outcome of battles.

If you don't understand what I'm saying then ask

Dictionary.com

imperialism:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imperialism

quote:
The policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations....

....Acquisition by a government of other governments or territories, or of economic or cultural power over other nations or territories, often by force. Colonialism is a form of imperialism.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
"Specifically, why were metal workers in a sophisticated metallurgical industry in sub-Saharan Africa importing copper ingots when there were perfectly good copper ore deposits nearby?"

The above deals with the economic imperialism (from a quote earlier in this thread). These "Sudanese" exported so much that they had to import things they didn't need in order to keep the situation going and keep their influence over trade in the Muslim world.

Again do not twist what I'm saying, and do not regard my posts as incoherent or somehow detached from each other, my posts come together in one coherent whole of which I make very clear

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
The bellow is actually an article that YOU recommended and it said that Muslims were dependent on the "Sudan" in trade, this being so much the case that there were all kinds of debates on Muslims having to respect "Pagan" kings. However there were also many great Muslim kingdoms that were "Sudanese" and in fact Mali and Songhay were greater than all that existed before and they were Muslims. So while "Sudanese" no longer becomes simply "paganism" they still have a clear trading supremacy.

Of the factors playing into this trading supremacy, could industries be one? And could iron working be one of the many factors in this?

"Islam and Trade in the Bilad Al-Sudan, Tenth-Eleventh Century A.D." by Michael Brett

see pages 7 and 8

http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~amcdouga/Hist446/readings/islam_and_trade_brett.pdf

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for markellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

inner Africans.

Northern coastal Africans had no iron metallurgy of their own.

quote:

So don't you think that a logical conclusion would be that the "Sudanese", who as you said had metallurgy, would have an advantage over those who did not have metallurgy? Even if these blacksmiths were of a low caste? (edit: it depends on the society) And wouldn't one regard that a person who doesn't come to this conclusion is simply following 19th century racial theories because they don't see it when a people have a clear advantage?

Note that you used the terms "of inner Africans" and "Northern coastal Africans". The word "Sudan" is a much older word and a concept that has gone back millennia

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Note the word "Sudan" has been used to describe Arabs themselves and other people but it is also used as kind of a legal term in other situations as Michael Brett talked about. Another clear case of this is how outsiders were ignorant of the geography of most of Africa, as I have mentioned
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
The African slave trade itself was Europeans flooding goods into Africa, thus European industries and control of trade gave Europeans the advantage. Can anyone deny this?
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
It is also food, flooding Africa with food has caused great damage. The same principals apply to different articles of trade.

Now if cheap rice can cause entire nations to starve, isn't trade a very powerful thing?

If any of the statistics in this article are wrong please tell me:

Wole Akande
http://www.mindfully.org/WTO/Subsidies-Hurt-Poor-Akande19oct02.htm

quote:
These measures have allowed the U.S. to dump its farm surplus on world markets. For example, the U.S. exports corn at prices 20 percent below the cost of actual production, and wheat at 46 percent below cost. This has resulted in Mexican corn farmers being put out of business. The dramatic increase in U.S. agricultural subsidies will further jeopardize the livelihoods of those in developing countries. Poor regions, like Africa, depend on agriculture for about a quarter of their total output, most of it coming from low-income families.

Exporters in Africa will also suffer. According to the World Bank, West African cotton exporters already lose about $250 million a year as a direct result of U.S. subsidies; this figure will rise sharply. In West African countries like Burkina Faso, Mali and Chad, where cotton accounts for more than one-third of export earnings, the losses already represent around three times the savings provided through debt relief.

This is a classic example of trade policy undermining aid. In the cotton-growing basin of Sikasso, in southeast Mali, where 80 percent live in poverty, the consequences will be devastating. The Texas cotton barons will be cashing in at the bank while desperately poor Africans suffer more.

Staple food producers in developing countries face particularly bleak prospects as IMF imposed import liberalization exposes them to intensified competition with subsidized imports. For instance, since Mexico's import barriers started tumbling under the North American Free Trade Agreement, U.S. maize imports have tripled. Mexican smallholders have been forced out of local markets, undermining rural economies and fuelling migration. The U.S. department of agriculture is now targeting countries such as Brazil and the Philippines.

Import liberalization in markets distorted by subsidies can have devastating implications for efforts to combat rural poverty and improve self-reliance. When the IMF bulldozed Haiti into liberalizing its rice markets in the mid-1990s, the country was flooded with cheap U.S. imports. Local production collapsed, along with tens of thousands of rural livelihoods. Self-sufficient a decade ago, Haiti today spends half of its export earnings importing U.S. rice.

The wider danger is that the U.S. farm bill will undermine local agriculture and foster dependence on imports. This will be particularly damaging in sub-Saharan Africa, where staple food production lags behind population growth and imports have risen 40 percent over the past decade.

Even the World Bank president, James Wolfensohn, acknowledges "these subsidies are crippling Africa's chance to export its way out of poverty." The developing world faces trade barriers costing them $200 billion per annum - twice as much as they receive in aid. Industrialized nations currently spend about $350 billion a year assisting their farmers, more than the economic output for all of Africa.

“With cheap food imports, Haiti can't feed itself” The Washington post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/20/AR2010032001329.html

-

Captain: Maria Carmelle Jean, center, sells rice and dry products at a downtown street market in Port-au-Prince, Saturday, March 20, 2010. Decades of cheap imports, especially rice from the U.S., punctuated with abundant aid in various crises, have destroyed local agriculture and left impoverished countries such as Haiti unable to feed themselves. (AP Photo/Jorge Saenz) (Jorge Saenz - AP)

page 1
quote:

Decades of inexpensive imports - especially rice from the U.S. - punctuated with abundant aid in various crises have destroyed local agriculture and left impoverished countries such as Haiti unable to feed themselves.

While those policies have been criticized for years in aid worker circles, world leaders focused on fixing Haiti are admitting for the first time that loosening trade barriers has only exacerbated hunger in Haiti and elsewhere.

They're led by former U.S. President Bill Clinton - now U.N. special envoy to Haiti - who publicly apologized this month for championing policies that destroyed Haiti's rice production. Clinton in the mid-1990s encouraged the impoverished country to dramatically cut tariffs on imported U.S. rice.

"It may have been good for some of my farmers in Arkansas, but it has not worked. It was a mistake," Clinton told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on March 10. "I had to live everyday with the consequences of the loss of capacity to produce a rice crop in Haiti to feed those people because of what I did; nobody else." ….

"A combination of food aid, but also cheap imports have ... resulted in a lack of investment in Haitian farming, and that has to be reversed," U.N. humanitarian chief John Holmes told The Associated Press. "That's a global phenomenon, but Haiti's a prime example. I think this is where we should start."

Haiti's government is asking for $722 million for agriculture, part of an overall request of $11.5 billion.

Page 2

"National rice isn't the same, it's better quality. It tastes better. But it's too expensive for people to buy," said Leonne Fedelone, a 50-year-old vendor

Riceland defends its market share in Haiti, now the fifth-biggest export market in the world for American rice.

But for Haitians, near-total dependence on imported food has been a disaster.
Cheap foreign products drove farmers off their land and into overcrowded cities. Rice, a grain with limited nutrition once reserved for special occasions in the Haitian diet, is now a staple.…

Three decades ago things were different. Haiti imported only 19 percent of its food and produced enough rice to export, thanks in part to protective tariffs of 50 percent set by the father-son dictators, Francois and Jean-Claude Duvalier….

…Impoverished farmers unable to compete with the billions of dollars in subsidies paid by the U.S. to its growers abandoned their farms.
Others turned to more environmentally destructive crops, such as beans, that are harvested quickly but hasten soil erosion and deadly floods.

Page 3 talks about aid and relief to Haiti
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Whats so frustrating is that I think I make my point very clear

1. The title is about things being sold across the Sahara

2. The first post of the thread I show a clear interest in what was exported across the Sahara, but no interest in what the status of the blacksmiths and metallurgists was

3. You said "They were never in control of the society of their ethnic affiliation", that I compare the situation with the Japanese and my stress on exports favors the interpretation that I'm talking about world trade

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by markellion:

The article seems to suggest that the "Sudan" had a knowledge of iron smelting technology that people in the north didn't have. Is the article wrong? If it is then fine but still the high level of knowledge and technology of many "Sudanese" industries would still allow for an advantage, I would think

Some clarification is perhaps required for this comment. The assumption here is that industries in places like the Mali empire were sophisticated enough that they could challenge industries of other nations, even if these other nations knew how to work iron.

For example with Haiti, Haiti was growing it’s own rice and doing it quite well but still they were devastated by imports subsidized by foreign nations. Or the example I showed earlier about the United States buying British clothes, other nations knew how to make clothes but the British industries were advanced enough that they could make it cheaper. Or with the southern United States who purchased goods from Brittan even though goods were also produced in the northern United States. The Civil War was over tariffs and the cheaper British goods were devastating to the Southern economy, while the South actually fought to maintain their dependence

Africans still produced gold and as shown in this thread they produced many other goods through the 19th century but as the case of the United States shows cheap foreign merchandise can be devastating. Even though the Tuareg have blacksmiths were they able to compete with the blacksmiths of other nations? This wouldn’t make Tuareg blacksmiths obsolete, but perhaps a dependence on foreigners

quote:

…..One other reason that may be noted as in part accounting for the control of American trade by Great Britain after the Revolution was that many, if not most, of the staple articles of manufactures desired by American buyers were made better in Great Britain and sold more cheaply there than in continental Europe. As an illustration of this, Lord Sheffield cites the fact that "when France granted a sum of money to Congress for clothing the American troops, Mr. Laurens, Jr., was employed to provide it; but instead of laying out the money in France he went to Holland and bought English cloths and sent them to America."

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me make this as simple as possible.

Saharans were not dependent on "Sudanese"
for iron implements because they had their
own local castes of iron workers.

Even if there were no local iron workers why
would Saharans be dependent on "Sudanese"
for iron implements? Such could be procured
from littoral North Africa, and elsewhere,
just as other items were.

The advantage "Sudanese" had over Saharans
before the 15th century was their superior
martial skills.

The Saharan al~Murabitun, for example, never
conquered the Sudan.

"Sudanese," however, assisted al~Murabitun in
their conquest of North Africa and the Iberian
peninsula.

Even after the 15th century when gunpowder gave
its users obvious advantages, Arabo-Berber rulers
availed themselves of all "Sudanese" personal guards
or armies. One such military caste controlled Morocco
for a while. They also engaged themselves in civil engineering.

===

I apologize for what you interpret as deliberate
misinterpretation of your position. I was trying
to make sense out what practical meaning you
attribute to advantage. So I ask you just what
advantage was had and which ethnies or polities
were at what kind of disadvantage?

quote:
quote:

inner Africans.

quote:

So don't you think that a logical conclusion would be that the "Sudanese", who as you said had metallurgy, would have an advantage over those who did not have metallurgy? Even if these blacksmiths were of a low caste? (edit: it depends on the society) And wouldn't one regard that a person who doesn't come to this conclusion is simply following 19th century racial theories because they don't see it when a people have a clear advantage?

Note that you used the terms "of inner Africans" and "Northern coastal Africans". The word "Sudan" is a much older word and a concept that has gone back millennia

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I believe military strength as an expiation as for why most of Africa was unconquered until the late 19th century has been over exaggerated. After all one major reason for the scramble for Africa was to make Africans dependent on European merchandise

The skilled "Sudanese" soldiers were one of many advantages that they had but this alone cannot explain

And your comment suggests they would be dependent on the "Sudanese" for iron itself, plus the high level of Sudanese industries which I have talked about. I'm sure the Americans knew how to make clothes but they still imported from Brittan

quote:

inner Africans.

Again superb soldiery alone cannot explain why the scramble for Africa came so late in history, nor can it explain the dependence of Arabs and other people on the "Sudanese". Their is 1. military 2. Economic 3. And cultural/religious factors. On my next post I'll explain why the idea that military strength alone could not have held off the scramble for Africa for so long

If we believe that the "Sudanese" simply had greater military strength, that would not explain why "Arabs" and Almohads ect. were so desperate for the Trans-Saharan trade and yet the "Sudanese" themselves were not as dependent on this trade. This reflects as much economic dominance as military dominance, and in fact there are people who believe Ghana was not conquered because the Almoravids were dependent on trade with Ghana. On this interpretation it was not military strength but trade that allowed Ghana to hold off being conquered. Concerning the bellow it doesn't show the full story but with the case of Ghana the Almohad governor killed bandits and placed their skulls in his palace because they of the supreme importance of the Trans-Saharan trade and the governor needed to do everything he could in order to protect it. What is especially significant is while he goes through much effort to slaughter and intimidate bandits, but he does nothing to threaten the pagan king who he accuses of persecuting merchants. Now if the situation is simply greater military strength of the "Sudanese" then both sides would be equally dependent on trade and so both sides would go through equal trouble in securing this trade.

“Medieval Christian Nubia and the Islamic World: A Reconsideration of the Baqt Treaty” by Jay Spaulding

http://www.jstor.org/pss/221175

page 589 of the journal (the actual article isn’t that many pages).

quote:
758, when the new Abbasid governor of Egypt wrote to the Makurian monarch: “[Here] no obstacle is placed between your merchants and what they want – [they are] safe and contented wherever they go in our land. You, however… behave otherwise… nore are our merchants safe with you.”
"Trans-Saharan Trade and the West African Discovery of the Mediterranean World" by Pekka Masonen

http://www.smi.uib.no/paj/Masonen.html

quote:
In the early 13th century, the governor of Sijilmasa, which was the most important terminus of the trans-Saharan caravan routes in southern Morocco, sent a following letter to the king of Ghana who was by then the most powerful ruler in Western Africa:

"We are neighbours in benevolence even if we differ in religion; we agree on right conduct and are one in leniency towards our subjects. It goes without saying that justice is an essential quality of kings in conducting sound policy; tyranny is the preoccupation of ignorant and evil minds. We have heard about the imprisonment of poor traders and their being prevented from going freely about their business. The coming to and fro of merchants to a country is of benefit to its inhabitants and a help to keeping it populous. If we wished we would imprison the people of that region who happen to be in our territory but we do not think it right to do that. We ought not to "forbid immorality while practising it ourselves". Peace be upon you."

Considering the contents of this letter, there is no doubt who had the actual control over the trade in the south.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
This is just part of the article but it also talks about poisoning Portuguese and preventing them from learning about trails and mapping the interior. Now although these relations perhaps might have been mostly negative for the Africans, they did have ways to hold off the Europeans

"Portuguese Conceptual Categories and the "Other" Encounter on the Swahili Coast" by Jeremy, Prestholdt

quote:
page 5 of article

Portuguese administrators came to depend on Swahili-speakers. In the sixteenth century, several Portuguese factors even employed Swahili elites as political and economic advisors.[9] This dependence was not only born out of an ignorance of East Africa, but also as a result of the ease with which many Portuguese could interpret the Swahili world conceptually, materially, and religiously. The Portuguese found a familiar Islamic civilization on the East African coast and, able to effectively communicate within it through dialog and/or coercion, attempted to manipulate it for narrow economic proposes. Yet Swahili-speakers, lacking military supremacy, used their paradoxically privileged position to impede Portuguese commercial relations with non-Swahili and, in some cases, even to further their own aspirations. Thus, despite fierce rivalries in Iberia and abroad, Portuguese familiarity with Islam and what they perceived as general Muslim material and social worlds precipitated close relations with the Swahili such that over the course of the sixteenth century Portuguese perceptions, language, relations, and investments in East Africa were filtered through the lens of Swahili society......[10]

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Note here the supreme importance of being able to map out Africa in order to dominate it. A great deal of this is Europeans had to make deals with African rulers and it was essential to know where everything was in relation to everything else, complicated diplomacy divide and conquer stuff. On top of that is also military strategy and transporting things. This does talk about the supreme importance of mapping out things

"WHITE KING BLACK DEATH 2/11"

Watch 8:30-9:40 concerning Leopold and Stanley the importance of exploration during this time period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7jmHSjbMI

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
So all these factors come together and by themselves they wouldn't be as powerful as all the factors put together. The Japanese without their technology would cease to be as important as a nation, however they have ceased to be powerful in terms of military might as they were in World War II.

Anyway this shows how much "Sudanese" knew about the world. With world trade and being able to send mercenary soldiers to fight wars in different parts of the world they would have much influrnce

"Trans-Saharan Trade and the West African Discovery of the Mediterranean World" by Pekka Masonen

http://www.smi.uib.no/paj/Masonen.html
quote:

The situation was perhaps similar to that in the early 19th century, when European explorers, who had penetrated the African interior in order to unveil her secrets, were amazed at how well the West Africans knew what was going on in the outside world. When Mungo Park arrived in Segu on the Niger in July 1796, being the first European in this city, he was told that the British and French were fighting in the Mediterranean. The news probably concerned the battles that took place after the treaty of Basle which was made in April 1795, when Park was in his way to Gambia. In 1824, Hugh Clapperton visited Kano, being again the first European in this city, and he was surprised by Muhammad Bello, the ruler of Sokoto caliphate, who asked him detailed questions concerning the British policy in India and the religious situation in Europe. In early 1871, Gustav Nachtigal, the famous German traveller who had left Tripoli in 1869 in order to explore Central Africa, was told in Bornu that a war had broke out between franse and nimse, meaning Frenchmen and Germans. Considering that the Franco-Prussian war began in July 1870, the news had reached Bornu very quickly.

Perhaps news of the great events in the medieval Mediterranean, like the fall of Acre in 1291 or the Turkish conquest of Constantinople in 1453, were heard in the capital of Mali as quickly. However, there are only few mentions in the contemporary Arabic sources concerning the transmission of news across the Sahara. We know, for example, that Mansa Musa of Mali sent a delagation to congratulate the Marinid Sultan Abu 'l-Hasan for the conquest of Tlemcen. Since Tlemcen had fallen to Marinids in April 1337, the news most probably arrived in Mali with the traders who had left Morocco in autumn, which was the usual season of departure for the caravans to the south. The Malian delegation was sent to Fez probably in the following summer, when the caravans returned to the north. Similarly, another Malian delegation was sent to congratulate Sultan Abu 'l-Hasan for the conquest of Constantine in 1349. The prompt action on part of the Malian rulers proves that they knew well the political geography of Northern Africa, being fully aware of the consequenses of the Marinid expansion to central Maghrib....

Similarly, it was another channel for West Africans to the outside world: in 1594 a Portuguese navigator reported that he had in Senegal met many blacks who were not only capable of speaking French but have even visited France. In was only during the age of imperialism that the encounter of West Africans with other civilisations turned definitely from controlled relationship to collision.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I believe many of the translations in the first article bellow are flawed but both sources bellow talk about ignorance of African geography throughout the ages and the errors of early geographers remained up till the 19th century

This gives some insight into trading relationships

"A REGION OF THE MIND: MEDIEVAL ARAB VIEWS OF AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY AND ETHNOGRAPHY AND THEIR LEGACY*" by JOHN O. HUNWICK

http://www.hf.uib.no/smi/sa/16/16Hunwick.pdf

quote:
But there was a much earlier ‘discovery’ of the continent and a similar ‘invention’ of it by Arabs—or at least those using the Arabic language to express their thoughts—a thousand and more years earlier and the picture that such writers drew of sub-Saharan Africa, at least in regard to its physical geography, certainly influenced Europeans of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century as they set out, mentally and physically to explore the interior of the continent. In 1788 when the Association
for Promoting the Discovery of the Interior Parts of Africa was founded in London, it noted in its ‘Plan’ that the map of inner Africa was ‘still but a wide extended blank on which the geographer, on the authority of Leo Africanus, and of Xeriff Edrissi, the Nubian author, has traced with a hesitating hand, a few names of unexplored rivers and of uncertain nations’.1
The situation had scarcely improved over the half century which had passed since Jonathan Swift had written with biting satire:

Geographers, in Afric maps,
With savage pictures fill their gaps,
And o’er unhabitable downs
Place elephants for want of towns.2

Thus, while the little that was known of the African continent away from the coast where European merchants had been trading was known principally from Arabic sources, it had to be admitted that that ‘little’ was itself only imperfectly known.

"The Negroland of the Arabs examined and explained" By William Desborough Cooley 1841

http://books.google.com/books?id=380NAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA135#v=onepage&q=&f=false

quote:
There is no injustice done to the Arabs in thus ascribing altogether to theory a positive statement made by many of their best authors. It is in the highest degree improbable, that with little or no knowledge of the various Black nations inhabiting the eastern coast of Africa, they should have had any accurate acquaintance with the remote interior: and besides, the acquiescence in system here imputed to them, is no greater than must have inevitably arisen from the imperfect state of their knowledge. Little more than a century ago, European geographers represented Abyssinia as occupying nearly a fourth of the African continent; on its eastern borders they placed a great lake, from which issued the Egyptian ' Nile, and all the great rivers of Southern Africa.21 The maps of Africa of that date exhibit less vacant space than they do at the present day. The improvement of geography, with respect to that quarter of the globe, has consisted chiefly in reducing what is known within its proper limits. Distant nations were of course as easily brought together and united as distant countries. The different African tribes which, in the course of the sixteenth century, devastated the widelyseparate coasts of Sierra Leone, of Angola, and of Melinda, were, by a sweeping generalization, all supposed to be one and the same people, and were furthermore identified with the Agows and Gallas of Abyssinia.222 Vestiges of these ideas still remain in our treatises of geography, and in some of the latest maps, nor is the system of thinking from which they emanated yet quite obsolete.23 But the close resemblance of European theories respecting the mysterious interior of Africa to those of the Arabs, is strikingly manifest in the following words of the Portuguese historian, Da Couto:—" About the year 1570, a horde of barbarians, like locusts, issued from the heart of Ethiopia, from the great lake whence flows the Cuama, the Zaire, the Rhapta, and the Nile."24—Here then we have the exact counterpart of Lake Kura and the Demdem or Demadem. The subsequent history of the horde referred to by Da Couto is taken up by other learned writers, who affect to describe its march southwards from Mombasa to the Cape of Good Hope; thence to Angola, whence it spread to Sierra Leone and elsewhere: so that not even the Demadem were ever carried by conjecture so far from their native homes.26 Thus it appears that the theories ascribed above to the Arabs, much excelled in sobriety, while they were exactly parallel in design with the geographical speculations of a later age.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
So the knowledge of geography reflects trading relationships, and very clearly mapping out Africa was essential in dominating Africa

Now for industries. People on the gold coast could mine gold right? So why did they come to actually importing gold from Brazil? Don't people in Haiti know how to grow rice, then why do they rely on aid and why are they importing rice? Knowing the high level of "Sudanese" industries and long distance trade throughout the continent itself one could see how the "Sudanese" could easily use such trading relationships to their own advantage

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Now this is an article that YOU recommended, the evidence presented in the article suggests that the knowledge of the "Sudanese" in statecraft and also trans-Saharan trade made people dependent on the Sudanese themselves. Thus we have Muslims having debates about Muslims being dependent on PAGAN kings. Of course mercenaries are important but this is one of many factors.

"Islam and Trade in the Bilad Al-Sudan, Tenth-Eleventh Century A.D." by Michael Brett

see pages 7 and 8

http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~amcdouga/Hist446/readings/islam_and_trade_brett.pdf

Also the early Muslim conquerers were very dependent on so called "Nubians" but they were also dependent on trade too. If this was all purely about military strength they would both still be equally dependent on trade with each other and so merchants on both sides would have equal rights.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Robert Norris is of course lying, he says that this trade has no connection with African wars because he is trying to defend the slave trade. However when looking at the gold coast for example we see the changing from gold to slave trade, and this suggests that the trade was connected to wars

Robert, Norris 1791

page 173

http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/norris/norris.html

quote:
That the wars which have always existed in Africa, have no connexion with the slave trade, is evident from the universality of the practice of it between communities in a savage state. The oldest writers, as Leo, and others, have represented the Africans as living in a continual state of war, and rapine, long before the commerce with Europeans was introduced among them
“Gold, Assortments and the Trade Ounce: Fante Merchants and the Problem of Supply and Demand in the 1770s”, by George Metcalf © 1987

http://www.jstor.org/pss/181447

quote:
Page 34-35
Walter Rodney suggested that Akan gold production began to decline in the early eighteenth century, and links this to the rise in profits that could be made by concentrating on slave production rather than gold mining. If this is so it is an irony that the Europeans by promoting the slave trade were ultimately forced, much against their own wishes, to carry gold to the Gold Coast. A more likely explanation of the phenomenon lies in the increasing monetarization of the Asante economy, described by Joseph LaTorre, and in the consequent hoarding of gold in Asante itself. This in turn provoked a partial monetarization of the Fante economy and undoubtedly increased the value of gold whiter it was regarded as a currency or a commodity

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:

Saharans were not dependent on "Sudanese"
for iron implements because they had their
own local castes of iron workers.

from littoral North Africa, and elsewhere,

I try to address such questions before they are even asked, and in fact I have already addressed this. This is why I brought up Haiti and rice, this is why I brought up the gold Coast and gold, why did the Americans buy British clothes when they could have gotten clothes from elsewhere?

Better yet why did the southern United States trade with Brittan and why was there a bloody civil war over tariffs? The United States Civil War was very bloody and involved a great deal of hatred all revolving around tariffs

quote:
Again, Great Britain was developing in industry more rapidly than was the continent of Europe, and hence was not only a better market for exported foods but was also able better to supply America with the manufactures which the people of the United States required. When the British monopoly of American trade was terminated by the Revolution and the staple articles of export from America were no longer "enumerated," but were free to go to any market in the world, there proved to be little demand for the articles outside of Great Britain, where they had previously been sold…..

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
So I ask you just what advantage was had and which ethnies or polities were at what kind of disadvantage?

Will lets look at a comment you made a long time ago:

quote:
Do we all understand the difference between
imperialism and scattered non-conquest, even
if organized, presence of individuals?

I'd want a thread on Imperial Africans to have
posts on Africans of a governing, centralized,
multi-ethnic polity called empire.

I suppose one could make a point for trading
empires though. If so that would include the
mercantile Zanj of Iraq as well as the Wangara
of West Africa's savanna.

And what can make a trading empire a trading empire without things to trade with?

quote:

inner Africans.

This comment would suggest that they could trade iron
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
So I ask you just what advantage was had and which ethnies or polities were at what kind of disadvantage?

This is an example of what I mean by the kind of disadvantage

"Free Trade, The Confederacy, and the Political Economy of Slavery" by Frederic W. Henderson Printed in the American Almanac, November 11, 1991

http://american_almanac.tripod.com/fwhfree2.htm

quote:

The southern economy was totally dependant on outside markets for the sale of its two major export commodities, raw, unfinished cotton and to a lesser degree rice; it was similarly totally dependant on outside markets for the bulk of its foodstuffs, almost all consumer goods, and virtually all capital goods. Almost no other of the extensive mineral and natural resources in these southern states were developed or harnessed….

….Along with the development of an industrial economy, agriculture in the northern states had become significantly more productive. The reasons can be seen in the fact that investments in both agricultural and manufacturing were vastly greater in the northern free states than in the slave labor economy of the south; both the value of farm machinery and implements per acre and per farm laborer in the south were approximately one half that in the north. A more telling figure is the percentage of capital invested in manufacturing; in 1860 over 84% of the U.S. total was invested in the north, with a mere 16% in the south; the per capita dollar figure in the north was four times that in the south despite the North's greater population…

…….Such a labor system would not only degrade labor, but would bestialize those who owned, or controlled such labor. Despite the southern propaganda praising the benefits of such a system, and southern assertions of the power of King Cotton, southern planters were themselves chained to such a primitive system, through indebtedness to outside finance, total dependence on the British and British allied New England textile manufacturers, who turned their raw cotton into finished products, and outside suppliers for almost all consumer and capital goods.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
One of the problems here is that things exist in degrees. I gave Japan as an example because as I said they do have selling technology which gives them importance in the world, one thing that I've confused people with is that I've been trying to say that African societies have various types of things that gave them advantages in world trade but people got confused and didn't see that I was trying to say all the things come together.

These African societies didn't have a monopoly in iron production in the world but look at Mansa Musa's pilgrimage, this deals with gold instead of iron. He was able to gain more and more of the world gold trade and the ancient Ghana empire was doing this too at a great scale but Mansa Musa did it on an even grander scale. Europeans did something similar to Mansa Musa on the gold coast where they flooded the coast with so much gold that the inhabitants were forced to produce less gold themselves. The Ashanti continued to export gold while other African societies were importing gold from the Europeans, however as shown the Ashanti did start hoarding gold so they sold less than what they otherwise would. Yes the British empire didn't have a monopoly on clothes but as shown the Americans purchased British clothes rather than French clothes because the British clothes were cheaper and better.

Along the Eastern Coast many Africans were still competitive in the iron trade in fact many steel industries in Africa didn't go out of business until like the end of the 19th century and the reason states is that it was competition with European steel. Europeans have been selling iron to Africa for centuries and native industries still thrived but if we use the gold coast as an example there is reason to believe that it declined. Kano copper was competing with European copper but as shown earlier in this thread but on the other hand European copper was also a major export to various places in Africa. On one hand this kind of speaks against my thesis, but on the other hand this also supports my thesis that Europeans were trying to compete with African industries for centuries. Also W.E.B. Dubois also mentions cotton weaving being a major industry in "Sudan" long before it was known to Brittan.

If many of the African manufacturers were superior quality, the Europeans could produce things cheaper. The Europeans didn't need to completely destroy African industries to be devastating

I'm using the examples with gold to show how it must have worked with iron. Even if other countries had their own iron industry, if Africans were sufficiently efficient enough at iron production they could still be devastating. But this is also combined with other factors and is all very complex but remember things exist in different degrees

Edit: A quick comment on Indian merchandise

Europeans could manipulate India and perhaps ruin other kinds of activities in India in order to attain massive amounts of certain merchandise from India to flood into Africa. Europeans went through a great deal of anxiety to get certain things from India and I would assume a great amount of energy just to encourage the Indian production of many items. Also there is much evidence that Europeans had some trouble getting sufficient quantities of cowry shells in particular, while over time they could eventually attain such a quantity to flood it into Africa forcing Africans to import European goods.

The bellow is an example to illustrate how the flooding of these societies with goods works. This can also work for iron industries

Dahomey from Saint Mary's University website

http://stmarys.ca/~wmills/course316/7Dahomey.html

quote:
Economy

- Dahomey had a monetary system: cowry shells were the basic currency, but trade goods were used also—guns, bolts of cloth etc.

- Europeans tried to take advantage of this currency; they brought so many cowry shells that the shells lost value (inflation). As a result, European trade goods became the basic currency used in the purchase of slaves.

- farming was very important; agriculture was mostly carried out by men, usually in communal gangs of young men; this was different from most of the rest of Africa where women did most of the agricultural work. However, there were many artisans also who made products in addition to farming.

- the market economy mostly involved producers selling to consumers,but some women acted as middlemen. The latter would travel from market to market buying and selling goods.

- all trade with Europeans was a royal monopoly and guarded jealously by successive kings; kings never allowed Europeans to bypass and trade directly with people in the kingdom. As a military, predatory state, the costs of government and the military were high; thus,the king needed all the revenue from taxes and the profits of trade that he could get.

- Europeans and their influence were confined to one port on the coast—Whydah.

- permission to go inland, especially to the capital, was given only infrequently and as a special favour; because so few Europeans were allowed in, there were only a limited number of eyewitness accounts in spite of the long history of trade and contacts; no missionaries were allowed in.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
All of this is showing examples that go back to the iron industries which I have talked about and to try to show how this trade works in general. My aim is to try to answer some questions people will have before they are asked and anticipate any confusion that my go on, trying to cover all the basses. Trading empires and merchants need things to trade with, and if merchants were able to have their way in societies to the north these two things at least must be true. 1. These merchants must be knowledgeable and skilled in trading and know about the happenings in the countries they go to and also world events that might affect trade prices 2. They must have actually things to trade with that were needed or to convince people to buy it

Both of these conditions are essential, and is what I've been trying to show in various examples.

Other examples were other situations and times in history for example Americans buying British clothes even though clothes from nations all over Europe were available, this example is applied back here to show how this dependence works

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Allot of this is guessing but first comparing the iron industries to that of the American south, remember that many of the mineral resources in the south were untapped while they imported many things from Brittan? Perhaps this is the reason why "Northern coastal Africans had no iron metallurgy of their own" and why, perhaps, they came to despise blacksmiths because they were not able to have one of their own. They were unable to compete with those of the south so gave it up all together

Remember that the Americans did not have anyone willing to buy their merchandise except Brittan? I believe this is because in order to sell things you also have to buy something, so Brittan created a situation where they would import certain things from the United States just to justify the trade. I believe this is why Copper was being imported southward across the Sahara, the "Sudan" used Trans-Saharan trade to gain control and so imported things they didn't need to import just to continue the Trans-Saharan trade

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
The article in the first post says that "Saharan" folk didn't know metallurgy, and you said "Northern coastal Africans had no iron metallurgy of their own"

So I'm kind of confused here. Did they have metallurgy?

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
As you have pointed out soldiers were important and mercenary soldiers and guards and everything, so both soldiers and merchants were part of this

The second quote bellow I take as evidence that many of these "Nubian" soldiers were not slaves but rather enlisted men. The first quote talks about rulers using merchants to further their schemes in global affairs

I believe that superb soldiery alone cannot explain these kinds of relations

“Medieval Christian Nubia and the Islamic World: A Reconsideration of the Baqt Treaty” by Jay Spaulding

http://www.jstor.org/pss/221175

Page 590 we also learn some about “Nubian” merchants

quote:
Meanwhile some Nubian subjects themselves, especially from the northern zone of special status, had also become private merchants and had begun to conduct their own commercial ventures northward into Egypt. The Nubian king attempted to maintain his hold over subjects living abroad, and to profit from their private commerce, by negotiating an arrangement according to when a royal Makurian agent was authorized to reside and to travel within the Islamic caliphate in order to collect taxes from the Nubians living abroad.
Page 593

quote:
No figures whatsoever exist concerning the magnitude of this trade at any period; yet without such data, no remotely plausible assessment of total slave exports is possible. Even in the absence of absolute numbers, however, it is possible to challenge the assertion by Cliometricians that most slaves exported from the Northeast Africa to the Islamic Orient were female, for the claim is difficult to reconcile with a source literature from medieval Egypt in which corps of black male military slaves are conspicuous while Africa females are not. The actual primary evidence on the question is perhaps instructive; the one known baqt shipment in the form of slaves by an independent Makurian monarch comprised one male and one female.

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I have read some things before about for example an emperor of Mali sending messages to different kings and people in the world asking for favors and Kanim dominating the Sahara because of a web of diplomacy and everything and other things that would go beyond simply military might.

Also Dana said that lower caste Tuareg blacksmiths were probably of "Nilo Saharan" origin and that most of the crafts of the "Moors" came from these people. However this does indicate that people like the Zaghawa possibly were major providers for crafts of the "Moors". There are also many authors who believe that Ghana wasn't conquered because the Almoravids were dependent on Ghana on trade and would not have been able to keep up the trade themselves if they had conquered the country

Now this, which I posted several times and I posted before your 2nd post on this thread, indicates that there is more than just military strength involved

Does this strike you are consistent with simply military might?

see pages 7 and 8

quote:

Northern coastal Africans had no iron metallurgy
of their own.

quote:

from littoral North Africa,
and elsewhere,

So the article in my first post is wrong? Ok fine but then these two things you say seem to contradict each other
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:

The Almoravids were mainly Aulamidden (Lamtuna) Tuareg now centered in Niger. Lower caste Tuareg smiths to whom much of the craftmanship of the Moors was probably due are of Nilo-Saharan origin related to Teda Tibbu-Krit or Ikaradan groups.

The evidence suggests that the Tuareg were themselves dependent on the kings of the "Sudan", one could further conclude that they were dependent on the societies that could provide the craftsmanship. The strange thing is that Dana made this comment after I had talked much about the craftsmanship of the "Sudan"
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
I have been talking about trading empires since the old thread where you made this comment:

quote:
Do we all understand the difference between
imperialism and scattered non-conquest, even
if organized, presence of individuals?

I'd want a thread on Imperial Africans to have
posts on Africans of a governing, centralized,
multi-ethnic polity called empire.

I suppose one could make a point for trading
empires though. If so that would include the
mercantile Zanj of Iraq as well as the Wangara
of West Africa's savanna.

It should already be obvious what I mean by advantage, you already commented on what I've been saying on the subject.

Right here in your comment YOU said there were trading empires. How about the different corporations that are in Africa today that have a great deal of influence in Africa? Likewise wouldn't the presence of "Sudan" in different places in the world spread their influence?

And right here in this thread YOU said that mercenary soldiers, guards ect. played key roles and thus spread "Sudanese" influence. Therefor in your own comment in this thread you said the presence of individuals could amount to some degree to imperialism

1. Trading empires

2. mercenaries, guards ect.

These are two things that you have talked about yourself. The very things you've been saying support what I've been saying

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
According to the article "'Enaden' are mostly repairmen". You yourself said "Northern coastal Africans had no iron metallurgy of their own."

The Americans bought British clothes instead of from France or other countries because they were both cheaper and better made, same for other British merchandise. This showing the advantage that nations with more and better industry have

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that makes it so hard to discuss these
things with you is that you're all over space and
time without any real focus.

They, northern coastal Africans, had no iron
metallurgy of their own. The iron metallurgy
they did have was, afaik, one brought onboard
first by the Poeni colonists. I will have to look
into the era they invaded AE for pre-Poeni pointers.

I'm not sure what other peoples' technologies they
may have later used as time progressed but they were
not devoid of metallurgical techniques. For instance
it appears they did have copper metallurgy.

I do hope you understand the pinpoint specifics
under consideration in my above answer because
your question makes it seem you did not.

* Sahara
* northern coastal Africa
* metallurgy
* iron metallurgy
* home grown technology
* foreign techniques
* copper metallurgy

quote:
The article in the first post says that "Saharan" folk didn't know metallurgy, and you said "Northern coastal Africans had no iron metallurgy of their own"

So I'm kind of confused here. Did they have metallurgy?

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Yes but the level of technology and skill of iron industries throughout "Sudan" was very high, amongst the most sophisticated in the world. Dana had suggested that Tuareg had members of other societies as blacksmiths which would be people like the Zaghawa, even saying most of the crafts of the "Moors" would be dependent on these people
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Blacksmiths were seen as foreign and exotic by the tuareg, I had suggested earlier that they couldn't compete with blacksmiths to the south and so didn't bother to develop their own metallurgy as much.

But this is based on the assumption that many of these blacksmiths originated from other societies like Dana suggested

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
See, that's what I mean. All over space and time.
I leave you to your own devices and whoever will
discuss this with you. Your methodology is too
frazzled for me. Sorry, I can't keep up with you.

quote:
Yes but the level of technology and skill of iron industries throughout "Sudan" was very high, amongst the most sophisticated in the world. Dana had suggested that Tuareg had members of other societies as blacksmiths which would be people like the Zaghawa, even saying most of the crafts of the "Moors" would be dependent on these people

markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
Ok I have been confused about some things because the article said iron wasn't being used in the Sahara
markellion
Member # 14131

Member Rated:
quote:
See, that's what I mean. All over space and time.
I leave you to your own devices and whoever will
discuss this with you. Your methodology is too
frazzled for me. Sorry, I can't keep up with you.

Ok even if iron was being used in the sahara

The high level of certain industries in "Sudan" would make them very competitive in the world economy, Dana had talked about many of the crafts of the "Moors" being from people who have origins from different ethnic groups, thus suggesting the Tuaregs didn't develop their own industries in certain fields

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com