EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Afrocentricity defined (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Afrocentricity defined
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Afrocentricity? What are its "dogmas"? Does it have dogmas?
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me Afrocentrics are "Black Centrics", Now the Original Afrocentrics Focused on African Kingdoms like Nubia and Egypt but now its all about Europe, China and the Americas, So Afrocentrics is simply Black centric, a Reaction movement toward the Eurocentric movement which is White or Caucasian centered..

For example By African Centered I mean places Like Egypt, Nubia, Ethiopia, Mali..etc. But the Afrocentrics like Mike and others claim the Indians, the Chinese, Black Dutch, The Arabs, the Native Americans, The Olmec, The Greeks..etc Not that Im saying Blacks are ONLY found in Africa but Afrocentric is a misnomer it should be Black Centric.

Eurocentrics claim also, The Indians, the Arabs, the Egyptians, the Ethiopians, The Greeks, etc.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wel.. yeah
There are multiple schools of thought within Afrocentric circles, different circles accept different things.

One thing they almost all have in common are two bogus notions:
The notion that wherever one sees a black person, African or otherwise, the sheer color of their skin is enough to allign oneself with the person and assume common interests, like mindedness etc.

The other common notion is that wherever one sees a black person, or someone with features that one might associate with being black, the person who is subjected to such notions must be related genetically through recent common ancesters, or by being a decendant of another person with such features.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, but some might argue that Mike and Winters aren't Afrocentics. And it seems as if both of you dont think Afrocentric scholarship is based on empiricism, but a priori assumptions. Is this view of Afrocentricity correct or just a result of white stereotyping? In the interest of clarity it might be better if you identified who coined the term and what did they mean by it. Then compare their views with those of the "two bogus notions".

quote:
Originally posted by Kalonji:
This is what happens when you come to these sites to sprout your Afrocentric/Eurocentric dogma, vs coming here to learn and being open.

Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anguishofbeing:
Ok, but some might argue that Mike and Winters aren't Afrocentics.

How would they do that? With what arguments?
I think they (Mike and Clyde) are about as Afrocentric as it gets.

quote:
And it seems as if both of you dont think Afrocentric scholarship is based on empiricism, but a priori assumptions.

Can you give me an example of an ''Afrocentric'' claim that can be demonstrated to be truthful, but exclusive to Afrocentrism, i.e. only accepted by Afrocentrists?

Note that Jari has a point about ''Africa centric'' vs ''black centric'', but most Afro-centrics don't make that distinction. They group ALL black peoples together and applaud their accomplishments as a triumph for the entire ''black race'', which is, among other things, characteristic of Afrocentrism.

quote:
In the interest of clarity it might be better if you identified who coined the term and what did they mean by it.

I do not know when it was coined or by whom. What I do know is do know is that there is disagreement among Afrocentric prominents about what the term should encompass and what positions should be omitted or included.

I think most people would agree with a definition that goes along the lines of:

A collection of positions and claims that aim to emphasize the role of black people and their accomplishments around the world to empower its members, by looking in and outside of Africa for cultures to assimulate into ''African history''.

But I agree, it would be helpful to examine the origins of the word, and how that meassures up to my two notions. That is where you come in, right?

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
In the interest of clarity it might be better if you identified who coined the term and what did they mean by it.

I do not know when it was coined or by whom.
[Roll Eyes]
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
So?

It is kind of similar to ''someone'' not knowing the origin/location of a certain Europeam artwork, but still being certain it was a black person who was depicted on it, sound familiar?

I don't know when or by whom exactly the term ''caucasian'' was coined. Does that mean I can't have valid grounds to discredit the term?

Don't be a simpleton Anguish.

There is more to the term than the static event of an individual who called it into being. The last time I checked we were discussing whether the criticism it receives is justified, and now it is indicative of something that I don't know who coined it?

LOL

Multiple scholars contributed to what ''Afrocentrism'' is today.

Now, do you want to actually get it in or are you going to make a sensation out of things that are irrelevant to this discussion?

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
You dont know who coined the term and what they meant by it, yet you proceed to identify **perfect** examples of it (in order to link it to sloppy scholarship) as well as the "characteristics" and its "dogmas". This is amazing.
quote:
There is more to the term than the static event of an individual who called it into being.
Yes you can argue that language and meanings aren't always stable. However, you want to make it so by trying to make Afrocentricity synonymous with sloppy scholarship. This is in contradiction to your postmodern theorizing. [Roll Eyes]
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do not know when it was coined or by whom.
[Roll Eyes]
Same way dude calls his arse Kalonji but don't know who coined that name or for what it was coined...

Dumb kids of today! Too much kool aid.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there's definetly a difference between
Afrocentricity a healthy philosophy and
Afro-Eccentricity which the white media
dubs Afrocentrism and most people have
accepted as the definition -- which it is
NOT

Afrocentricity's main concern is seeing Africans
(at home and abroad) as active agents in their
own affairs and not mere passive objects on the
periphery of European and Asian history and
movements.

Most of the characterizations one finds labeled
here as Afrocentrism has nothing in the least to
do with Afrocentricity but is Afro-Eccentricity,
i.e., eccentric ideas about Africa and African
peoples at home but especially abroad.

I dare any of the Afro-name callers here to actually
read works like The history of Africa: the quest for
eternal harmony
or Culture and customs of Egypt
or Classical Africa all by Molefi Kete Asante and
cite anything even remotely close to the stuff
you label as Afrocentrism.

If somebody here is posting Afro-Eccentricism don't
turn around and mistake it for true Afrocentricity.
If you do then you're just lying to make some points.

Who would accept an obfuscation of Plato's
philosphy as the real deal? Yet when it comes
to the philosophy of Afrocentricity nearly all
readily accept any and all characterizations
made about it by people who don't even as
much know who its modern authorities are
or what they have written and can't even
list just one central tenant of Afrocentricity
but jump on the bandwagon to besmirch its name.

I used to be one of these people myself. Even
though given a copy of Asante's Afrocentricity
by a bookshop owner when it first came out I
had a hard time reading it, as I do with books
on philosophy in general, so set it aside and as
the years rolled along just accepted the white
media contrived definition. But this past summer
after pulling some hysterics against Afrocentricity
with some 'net colleagues I went actually obtained
sat down and read authentic Afrocentric works by
Asante.

I am not an Afrocentric, but I no longer judge it
by the forces shouting mad dog mad dog and the
people who hearing the shout mad dog cast stones.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
^Good for you,

Now all you have to do to contribute here, instead of the usual relaying, is show how ''philosophy'' fits into this discussion, which is (last time I checked) about the collective of claims which are being subscribed to by people who call themselves Afrocentrists from the time it was coined onwards.

I also like to know how a modern reframe by Molefi Kete Asante of the term weighs up to decades of claims that are now proven to be wrong. You can go make distinctions between ''Afro-eccentrism'' and ''Afro-centrism'' all you want, but the fact remains that this distinction is recent, and wasn't present in the time of Diop nor was it present in the time of Ivan van Sertima, J.A. Rogers and others. It is the flaws of these works that I'm concerned with, and some peoples reluctance to stick to them, even though they are disproven.

I'd like to have a list of how Molefi Kete Asante's work relates to the earlier work mentioned above. If it doesn't we're not talking about the same thing.

Let's not change the parameters of the discussion.

This is not about:
-Philosophy
-Who coined the term

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
^ he who knows not and knows not he knows not...

Your problem is you want to save face all the time so you keep coming back displaying your amazing ignorance on the subject. You have a caricatured view of Afrocentricity that is typical of it detractors. Try to be open and learn - take your own advice. I'm sure Great Jew is laughing his @ss off at you not knowing the relevance of Prof. Asante to this discussion. lol

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just call me Jari:
To me Afrocentrics are "Black Centrics", Now the Original Afrocentrics Focused on African Kingdoms like Nubia and Egypt but now its all about Europe, China and the Americas, So Afrocentrics is simply Black centric, a Reaction movement toward the Eurocentric movement which is White or Caucasian centered..

For example By African Centered I mean places Like Egypt, Nubia, Ethiopia, Mali..etc. But the Afrocentrics like Mike and others claim the Indians, the Chinese, Black Dutch, The Arabs, the Native Americans, The Olmec, The Greeks..etc Not that Im saying Blacks are ONLY found in Africa but Afrocentric is a misnomer it should be Black Centric.

Eurocentrics claim also, The Indians, the Arabs, the Egyptians, the Ethiopians, The Greeks, etc.

Afrocentrism was never solely concerned with Nubia and Egypt.Though this is the view of many, Afrocentrism, is a mature social science that was founded by Afro-Americans almost 200 years ago.

These men and women provided scholarship based on contemporary archaeological and historical research the African/Black origination of civilization throughout the world. These Afro-American scholars, mostly trained at Harvard University (one of the few Universities that admitted Blacks in the 19th Century) provide the scientific basis for Afrocentrism and the global role played by African people in civilizing the world.

Afrocentrism and the africalogical study of ancient Black civilizations was began by Afro-Americans.

-

Edward Blyden

The foundation of any mature science is its articulation in an authoritive text (Kuhn, 1996, 136). The africalogical textbooks published by Hopkins (1905), Perry (1893) and Williams (1883) provided the vocabulary themes for further afrocentric social science research.

The pedagogy for ancient africalogical research was well established by the end of the 19th century by African American researchers well versed in the classical languages and knowledge of Greek and Latin. Cornish and Russwurm (1827) in the Freedom Journal, were the first African Americans to discuss and explain the "Ancient Model" of history.

-

These afrocentric social scientists used the classics to prove that the Blacks founded civilization in Egypt, Ethiopia, Babylon and Ninevah. Cornish and Russwurm (1827) made it clear that archaeological research supported the classical, or "Ancient Model" of history.

Edward Blyden (1869) also used classical sources to discuss the ancient history of African people. In his work he not only discussed the evidence for Blacks in West Asia and Egypt, he also discussed the role of Blacks in ancient America (Blyden, 1869, 78).

By 1883, africalogical researchers began to publish book on African American history. G.W. Williams (1883) wrote the first textbook on African American history. In the History of the Negro Race in America, Dr. Williams provided the schema for all future africalogical history text.

-

Dr. Williams (1883) confirmed the classical traditions for Blacks founding civilization in both Africa (Egypt, Ethiopia) and West Asia. In addition, to confirming the "Ancient Model" of history, Dr. Williams (1883) also mentioned the presence of Blacks in Indo-China and the Malay Peninsula. Dr. Williams was trained at Howard.

-

A decade later R.L. Perry (1893) also presented evidence to confirm the classical traditions of Blacks founding Egypt, Greece and the Mesopotamian civilization. He also provided empirical evidence for the role of Blacks in Phoenicia, thus increasing the scope of the ASAH paradigms.

-

Pauline E. Hopkins (1905) added further articulation of the ASAH paradigms of the application of these paradigms in understanding the role of Blacks in West Asia and Africa. Hopkins (1905) provided further confirmation of the role of Blacks in Southeast Asia, and expanded the scope of africalogical research to China (1905).

This review of the 19th century africalogical social scientific research indicate confirmation of the "Ancient Model" for the early history of Blacks. We also see a movement away from self-published africalogical research, and publication of research, and the publication of research articles on afrocentric themes, to the publication of textbooks.

It was in these books that the paradigms associated with the "Ancient Model" and ASAH were confirmed, and given reliability by empirical research. It was these texts which provided the pedagogic vehicles for the perpetuation of the africalogical normal social science.

The afrocentric textbooks of Hopkins (1905), Perry (1893) and Williams (1883) proved the reliability and validity of the ASAH paradigms. The discussion in these text of contemporary scientific research findings proving the existence of ancient civilizations in Egypt, Nubia-Sudan (Kush), Mesopotamia, Palestine and North Africa lent congruency to the classical literature which pointed to the existence of these civilizations and these African origins ( i.e., the children of Ham= Khem =Kush?).

The authors of the africalogical textbooks reported the latest archaeological and anthropological findings. The archaeological findings reported in these textbooks added precision to their analysis of the classical and Old Testament literature. This along with the discovery of artifacts on the ancient sites depicting Black\African people proved that the classical and Old Testament literature, as opposed to the "Aryan Model", objectively identified the Black\African role in ancient history. And finally, these textbooks confirmed that any examination of references in the classical literature to Blacks in Egypt, Kush, Mesopotamia and Greece\Crete exhibited constancy to the evidence recovered from archaeological excavations in the Middle East and the Aegean. They in turn disconfirmed the "Aryan Model", which proved to be a falsification of the authentic history of Blacks in early times.

The creation of africalogical textbooks provided us with a number of facts revealing the nature of the afrocentric ancient history paradigms. They include a discussion of:

1) the artifacts depicting Blacks found at ancient sites

recovered through archaeological excavation;

2) the confirmation of the validity of the classical and Old

Testament references to Blacks as founders of civilization in Africa and Asia;

3) the presence of isolated pockets of Blacks existing outside Africa; and

4) that the contemporary Arab people in modern Egypt are not the descendants of the ancient Egyptians.

The early africalogical textbooks also outlined the africalogical themes research should endeavor to study. A result, of the data collected by the africalogical ancient history research pioneers led to the development of three facts by the end of the 19th century, which needed to be solved by the afrocentric paradigms:

(1) What is the exact relationship of ancient Egypt, to Blacks in other parts of Africa;

(2) How and when did Blacks settle America, Asia and Europe;

(3) What are the contributions of the Blacks to the rise, and cultural expression ancient Black\African civilizations;

(4) Did Africans settle parts of America in ancient times.

As you can see the structure of Afrocentrism were made long before Boas and the beginning of the 20th Century.In fact , I would not be surprised if Boas learned what he talked about from the early Afrocentric researchers discussed in this post.

As you can see Afro-Americans have be writing about the Global history of ancient Black civilizations for almost 200 years. It was Afro-Americans who first mentioned the African civilizations of West Africa and the Black roots of Egypt. These Afro-Americans made Africa a historical part of the world.

Afro-American scholars not only highlighted African history they also discussed the African/Black civilizations developed by African people outside Africa over a hundred years before Bernal and Boas.

Your history of what you call "negrocentric" or Black Studies is all wrong. It was DuBois who founded Black/Negro Studies, especially Afro-American studies given his work on the slave trade and sociological and historical studies of Afro-Americans. He mentions in the World and Africa about the Jews and other Europeans who were attempting to take over the field.
 -
Hansberry
There is no one who can deny the fact that Leo Hansberry founded African studies in the U.S., not the Jews.Hansberry was a professor at Howard University.

Moreover, Bernal did not initiate any second wave of "negro/Blackcentric" study for ancient Egyptian civilization. Credit for this social science push is none other than Chiek Diop, who makes it clear that he was influenced by DuBois.

-

DuBois

These scholars recognized that the people of Southeast Asia and Indo-China were dark skined, some darker than African and Afro-American people. But when they discussed Blacks in Asia they were talking about people of African descent.

In conclusion, Afrocentrism is a mature social science. A social science firmly rooted in the scholarship of Afro-American researchers lasting almost 200 years. Researchers like Marc Washington, Clyde Winters and Mike are continuing a tradition of scholarship began 20 decades ago. All these contemporary researchers is doing is confirming research , that has not been disconfirmed over the past 200 years.

Aluta continua.....The struggle continues.....

REFERENCES

Anselin, A. (1982). Le mythe d' Europe. Paris: Editions Anthropos.

_______.(1982b). "Zeus, Ethiopien Minos Tamoul", Carbet Revue

Martinique de Sciences Humaines,no. 2:31-50.

_______.(1989). "Le Lecon Dravidienne",Carbet Revue Martinique

de Sciences Humaines, no.9:7-58.

Asante,M.A. (July-August, 1996). "Ancient Truths", Emerge , 66-70.

Asante,M.K. (1990) Kemet,Afrocentricity,and Knowledge. Trenton

,NJ:Africa World Press.

_________ (1991). "The Afrocentric idea in Education",Journal

of Negro Education,60(2):170-180.

__________.(December 1991/January 1992). "Afrocentric Curri-

culum".Educational Leadership, pp.28-31.

Bernal, M. (1996, Spring). The Afrocentric interpretation of history: Bernal replies to Lefkowitz. Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 86-95.

Bernal,M. (1987). Black Athena. New York: Free Association Press. Volume 1.

________. (1991). Black Athena. New York: Free Association Press. Volume 2.

Blyden, E.W. ( January, 1869). The Negro in ancient history.

Methodist Quarterly Review, 71-93.

Blyden, E.W. (1887). Christianity, Islam and the Negro Race. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.

_____________. (1890). The African Problem and the method for

its solution. Washington, D.C.: Gibson Brothers.

_______________.(1905). West Africa before Europe. London:

C.M. Phillips.

Clegg, L.H. (1975). Who were the first Americans? The Black

Scholar, 7(1), 32-41.

Coleman, B.E. (1971). A history of Swahili, The Black Scholar,

2 (6), 13-25.

Cornish, S. & Russwurm, J.B. (1827). European colonies in America, Freedom Journal, 1.

Carruthers, J. (1977). Writing for Eternity, black book bulletin,

5 (2), 32-35.

Carruthers, J. (1980). Reflections on the history of afrocentric

worldview, black book bulletin, 7(1), 4-13, 25.

Delany, M.R. (1978). The origin of races and color. Baltimore, M.D.: Black Classic Press.

Diop,C.A. (1974). The African Origin of Civilization. (ed. & Trans) by Mercer Cook, Westport:Lawrence Hill & Company.

_________.(1977). Parente genetique de l'Egyptien Pharaonique et

des Languaes Negro-Africaines. Dakar: IFAN ,Les Nouvelles

Editions Africaines.

__________.(1978) The Cultural Unity of Black Africa. Chicago: Third World Press.

__________. (1981). A Methodology for the study of migration.

UNESCO (Ed.), African Ethnonyms and Toponyms, (pp.87-110).

Paris: UNESCO.

___________.(1986). "Formation of the Berber Branch". In Libya

Antiqua. (ed.) by Unesco,(Paris: UNESCO) pp.69-73.

____________.(1987). Precolonial Black Africa. (trans. ) by

Harold Salemson, Westport: Lawrence Hill & Company.

____________.(1988). Nouvelles recherches sur l'Egyptien ancient

et les langues Negro-Africaines Modernes. Paris: Presence

Africaine.

_____________(1991). Civilization or Barbarism: An Authentic Anthropology. (trans.) by Yaa-Lengi Meema Ngemi and (ed.) by

H.J. Salemson and Marjoliiw de Jager, Westport:Lawrence

Hill and Company.

Douglas, F. (1966). The claims of the Negro ethnologically considered. In H. Brotz (Ed.), Negro social and political

thought (pp. 226-244). New York: Basic Books, Inc., Pub.

DuBois, W.E.B. (1924). The Gift of Black Folks. Boston.

DuBois, W.E.B. (1970). The Negro. New York: Oxford University

Press.

DuBois, W.E.B. (1965). The world and Africa. New York :

International Publishers Co., Inc.

Ferris, W.H. (1913). The African abroad. 2 vols. New Haven,CT

:Tuttle, Morehouse and Taylor.

Garvey, M. (1966). Who and What is a Negro. In H. Brotz (Ed.), Negro social and political thought (pp. 560-562).New York: Basic Books, Inc. Publishers.

Graves, Robert. (1980). The Greek Myths. Middlesex:Peguin Books

Ltd. 2 volumes.

Hansberry, L.H. (1981). Africa and Africans: As seen by classical

writers (Vol. 2). Washington, D.C.: Howard University Press.

Hopkins, P.E. (1905). A Primer of Facts pertaining to the early greatness of the african race and the possibility of restoration by its descendants-with epilogue. Cambridge: P.E. Hopkins & Com.

Hume, D. (1875). Essays: Moral political and literary. T.H. Green

and T.H. Grose. 2 Vols. London.

Jackson, J. (1974). Introduction to African civilization.

Secaucus, N.J.: Citadel Press.

James, G.M. (1954). Stolen legacy. New York: Philosophical Library.

Kuhn, T.S. (1996). The structure of scientific revolution.

Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Lacouperie, Terrien de. (1891). The black heads of Babylonia and ancient China, The Babylonian and Oriental Record, 5 (11), 233-246.

Lawrence, H.G. (1962). African explorers of the New World,

The Crisis, 321-332.

Merton, R.K. (1957). Social theory aand social structure.

Glencoe, Ill. : The Free Press.

Moitt,B. (1989). "Chiekh Anta Diop and the African Diaspora:

Historical Continuity and Socio-Cultural Symbolism".

Presence Africaine, no. 149-150:347-360.

Parker,G.W. (1917) . "The African Origin of Grecian Civilization

".Journal of Negro History, 2(3):334-344.

___________. (1981). The Children of the Sun. Baltimore,Md.:

Black Classic Press.

Perry, R.L. (1893). The Cushite. Brooklyn: The Literary Union.

Rawlinson, George. (1928).The History of Herodutus. New York

: Tudor.

Schomburg, A.A. (March, 1925).The Negro digs up his past.

Survey Graphic, 670-672.

Schomburg, A.A. (1979). Racial integrity. Baltimore, M.D.:

Black Classic Press.

Thompson, Jr. A.A. (1975). Pre-Columbian [African] presence

in the Western Hemisphere,Negro History Bulletin, 38 (7), 452-456.

Williams, G.W. (1869). History of the Negro Race in America. New York: G.P. Putnam.

Wimby, D. (1980). The Greco-Roman Tradition concerning Ethiopia and Egypt, black books bulletin, 7(1), 14-19, 25.

Winters, C.A. (1977). The influence of the Mande scripts on ancient American writing systems", Bulletin l'de IFAN, T39, serie B, no. 2 (1977), pp.941-967.

Winters, C.A. (1979). Manding Scripts in the New World", Journal of African Civilizations, l(1), 80-97.

Winters,C.A. (December 1981/ January 1982). Mexico's Black Heritage. The Black Collegian, 76-84.

Winters, C.A. (1983a). "The Ancient Manding Script". In Blacks

in Science:Ancient and Modern. (ed.) by Ivan van Sertima, (New Brunswick: Transaction Books) pp.208-215.

__________. (1983b). "Les Fondateurs de la Grece venaient d'Afrique en passant par la Crete". Afrique Histoire (Dakar), no.8:13-18.

_________. (1983c) "Famous Black Greeks Important in the development of Greek Culture". Return to the Source,2(1):8.

________.(1983d). "Blacks in Ancient China, Part 1, The Founders

of Xia and Shang", Journal of Black Studies 1 (2), 8-13.

________. (1984a). "Blacks in Europe before the Europeans".

Return to the Source, 3(1):26-33.

Winters, C.A. (1984b). Blacks in Ancient America, Colorlines, 3(2), 27-28.

Winters, C.A. (1984c). Africans found first American Civilization , African Monitor, l , pp.16-18.

_________.(1985a). "The Indus Valley Writing and related

Scripts of the 3rd Millennium BC". India Past and

Present, 2(1):13-19.

__________. (1985b). "The Proto-Culture of the Dravidians,

Manding and Sumerians". Tamil Civilization,3(1):1-9.

__________. (1985c). "The Far Eastern Origin of the Tamils",

Journal of Tamil Studies , no.27, pp.65-92.

__________.(1986). The Migration Routes of the Proto-Mande.

The Mankind Quarterly,27 (1), 77-96.

_________.(1986b). Dravidian Settlements in Ancient Polynesia.

India Past and Present, 3 (2), 225-241.

__________. (1988). "Common African and Dravidian Place Name

Elements". South Asian Anthropologist, 9(1):33-36.

__________. (1989a). "Tamil, Sumerian, Manding and the Genetic

Model". International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics,18(1):98-127.

__________. (1989b). "Review of Dr. Asko Parpola's 'The Coming of the Aryans'",International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 18(2):98-127.

__________. (1990). "The Dravido-Harappan Colonization of Central Asia". Central Asiatic Journal, 34(1/2):120-144.

___________. (1991). "The Proto-Sahara". The Dravidian Encyclopaedia, (Trivandrum: International School of Dravidian Linguistics) pp.553-556. Volume l.

----------.(1994). Afrocentrism: A valid frame of reference, Journal of Black Studies, 25 (2), 170-190.

_________.(1994b). The Dravidian and African laguages, International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 23 (1), 34-52.

________.2007. Afrocentrism Myth or Science.www.lulu.com Here

Woodson, C.G. & Wesley, C.H. (1972). The Negro in Our History. Washington, D.C. Associated Publisher.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afrocentric scholars accept the ancient model of history that maintains :1) civilization originated in Africa; and 2) Africans took civilization from Africa to Europe and Asia.

First of all , let’s discuss the definition of Afrocentrism. Afrocentrism-is adherence to principles and theories related to the idea that African and World history originated on the African continent and moved outward from Africa through the human agency of Africans speaking related languages and practicing a shared culture, who founded the first civilizations of Africa, the Americas, Europe and Asia.

Afrocentric researchers base their research on the ancient model of history. The ancient model of history was the model of history formed by the Greco-Roman scholars who recognized that Blacks founded civilization and that there were two Kushes one in Asia and the other in Africa.

Afrocentric researchers have never argued that they must reject anthropological and historical ways of knowing simply because these methods were first recognized by Europeans. In 1974, Harun Kofi Wangara, in an interview with Cheikh Anta Diop (Black World, Feb.1974, pp.53-61), recorded Diop's views on researching Afrocentric history. In this interview Diop observed that "…I think that it will be necessary to put together polyvalent scientific teams, capable of doing in-depth studies , for sure, and that's important. It bothers me when someone takes me on my word without developing a means of verifying what I say….We must form a scientific spirit, capable of seeing even the weaknesses of our own proofs, of seeing the unfinished side of our work and of committing ourselves to completing it. You understand? Therefore we should then have a work which could honestly stand criticism, because what we've done would have been placed on a scientific plane".

As a result Afrocentrism has the following characteristics:

 Based on application of science through use of the academic disciplines of
 Anthropology
 Archaeology
 History
 Linguistics
 Knowledge produced by recognizing the early expansion of Kushites, from Africa to other parts of the world.

The goal of Afrocentric social sciences is to provide explanations about real
phenomenon. The heuristic (way of knowing or discovering new ideas) in social science for purposes of understanding the methods used to produce knowledge in Afrocentrism: are anthropology which discovers new ideas by way of ethnography; and history which discovers new ideas by interpreting records relating to the past.

This means that any researcher who uses the ancient model of history to study ancient history and accepts the fact that Africans directly transferred civilization to the rise of the world is an Afrocentric researcher.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clyde, you done well with your clarification.

Al-takrur, thanks for your contribution.

Jari, I hope you learnt something new.

As for the other nameless hog who wshes to appropriate the name "Kalonji" a Rastafari-African name, but who has shown his true cannine origins by barking groundless claims and hate against Africa, I have just one line for you:

It is time for silence and serious studies.

Lion!

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
^ he who knows not and knows not he knows not...

Your problem is you want to save face all the time so you keep coming back displaying your amazing ignorance on the subject. You have a caricatured view of Afrocentricity that is typical of it detractors. Try to be open and learn - take your own advice. I'm sure Great Jew is laughing his @ss off at you not knowing the relevance of Prof. Asante to this discussion. lol

This has nothing to do with saving face. Nowhere in this thread have you shown or demonstrated anything. You just asked questions until you could find the first thing you could redicule and you ran with it.

quote:

The word "Afrocentric" has been traced by Derrick Alridge to W. E. B. Du Bois, who employed it in the early 1960s. During the 1970s, Molefi Kete Asante appropriated the term, insisting that he was the only person equipped to define it, and asserting that even the holy archangels Du Bois and Cheikh Anta Diop had an imperfect and immature grasp of a concept that finds ultimate, unfalsifiable expression in his own pontifications. Subsequently, it became a catchall "floating signifier," nebulous, unstable, and infinitely mutable.

American Historical Review

reframe:

reframe [riːˈfreɪm]
verb (tr)
1. to support or enclose (a picture, photograph, etc.) in a new or different frame
2. to change the plans or basic details of (a policy, idea, etc.) reframe policy issues and problems
3. to look at, present, or think of (beliefs, ideas, relationships, etc.) in a new or different way reframe masculinity from this new perspective

4. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Photography) to change the focus or perspective of (a view) through a lens
5. to say (something) in a different way reframe the question

Gigantic
Member # 17311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gigantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is Afrocentricity?

Insanity.

quote:
What are its "dogmas"?
Bullshyt, bullshyt and more bullshyt.

quote:
Does it have dogmas?
If one considers dookie, a dogma, then yes.

Now go and fvck yourself scumbag.

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
The word "Afrocentric" has been traced by Derrick Alridge to W. E. B. Du Bois, who employed it in the early 1960s. During the 1970s, Molefi Kete Asante appropriated the term, insisting that he was the only person equipped to define it, and asserting that even the holy archangels Du Bois and Cheikh Anta Diop had an imperfect and immature grasp of a concept that finds ultimate, unfalsifiable expression in his own pontifications. Subsequently, it became a catchall "floating signifier," nebulous, unstable, and infinitely mutable.

American Historical Review

The problem with book reviews intended to **ridicule** instead of clarify is that they end up misinforming the reader. Neither Van Sertima, Diop, DuBois or Rogers defined themselves as "Afrocentric". The term may have been "employed" by DuBois and appropriated by Asante but there was no "change of plans" at least where empirical study of African history was concerned. So it is not, contrary to your attempts, about advancing ideological views about Africa in spite of empirical evidence. In fact, its methodology follows the empirical tradition of the west but not its racist assumptions.
quote:
You dont know who coined the term and what they meant by it, yet you proceed to identify **perfect** examples of it (in order to link it to sloppy scholarship) as well as the "characteristics" and its "dogmas". This is amazing.
[Roll Eyes]
Gigantic
Member # 17311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gigantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you realize anguishofbeing has a personality disorder. You are dealing with a mentally ill person.

quote:
This has nothing to do with saving face. Nowhere in this thread have you shown or demonstrated anything. You just asked questions until you could find the first thing you could redicule and you ran with it.

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Gigantic:
I hope you realize anguishofbeing has a personality disorder. You are dealing with a mentally ill person.

quote:

Gigantic Misfit [Roll Eyes]
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
The problem with book reviews intended to **ridicule** instead of clarify is that they end up misinforming the reader.

Their intention is irrelevant, what matters, is whether their redicule, if present at all, is justifiable. Did the following happen, yes or no?

Molefi Kete Asante appropriated the term, insisting that he was the only person equipped to define it, and asserting that even the holy archangels Du Bois and Cheikh Anta Diop had an imperfect and immature grasp of a concept that finds ultimate, unfalsifiable expression in his own pontifications.
quote:
Neither Van Sertima, Diop, DuBois or Rogers defined themselves as "Afrocentric".

^Strawman
One doesn’t have to publically align oneself with a given mindset to be held accountable for flaws and inaccuracies that are characteristic of it. They all made themselves guilty of claims that were not unlike claims made by contemporary Eurocentrics, in terms of incorporating other peoples history into their own.

quote:
The term may have been "employed" by DuBois and appropriated by Asante but there was no "change of plans" at least where empirical study of African history was concerned.

Exactly, the bogus notions I mentioned went on undisturbed from there, and it’s still around today as is exemplified by Ironlions ‘’black Romans’’ and you cheering right beside him in his thread.

The distinction made by Altakruri to rid ‘’Afrocentrism’’ of its assumptions that were typical of it’s time are in vein, since ‘’Afrocentrism’’ is not the property of Asante, that he or anyone else can dictate that their interpretation should be the correct one. You can dislodge the flawed research and claims from the worldview, but you still end up with the fact that they all made themselves guilty of flawed scholarship, period. Some claims couldn’t have been self corrected at that time at that time, because of the juvenile state of Anthropology. Other claims were the result of willful ignorance, wishful thinking and floppy scholarship.

quote:
So it is not, contrary to your attempts, about advancing ideological views about Africa in spite of empirical evidence. In fact, its methodology follows the empirical tradition of the west but not its racist assumptions.

If the findings are acquired by empirical evidence, why is it ‘’Afrocentrism’’ and not just science? I asked you the following before but you Ignored it:

Can you give me an example of an ''Afrocentric'' claim that can be demonstrated to be truthful, but exclusive to Afrocentrism, i.e. only accepted by Afrocentrists?

Can you give a detailed description of what Afrocentrism entails, if it not includes the notions I mentioned?

Can you show me how WEB Dubois used it, what he meant with it, and how his usage is corroborated my modern science?

Can you show me **HOW** and on what areas of research Afrocentrists, according to your use of the word, used the empirical method to arrive at their conclusions, and what these conclusions were?

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
Did the following happen, yes or no?Molefi Kete Asante appropriated the term, insisting that he was the only person equipped to define it, and asserting that even the holy archangels Du Bois and Cheikh Anta Diop had an imperfect and immature grasp of a concept that finds ultimate, unfalsifiable expression in his own pontifications.
I have never read him insisting he was the only person equipped to define the term or that his claims are "ultimate" and "unfalsifiable", nor have I ever read him talking about "holy archangels". LOL You are the one making these idiotic claims, you need to justify it by quoting Asante to this effect.
quote:
since ‘’Afrocentrism’’ is not the property of Asante, that he or anyone else can dictate that their interpretation should be the correct one.
First you get all postmodern re shifting meanings of terms but then you want to identify **typical examples** of the term Mike and Winters and its "dogmas". Either you don't understand the postmodern implications of what you first argued or you are a hypocrite who jumps from meanings-aren't-stable to essentialism. So what are you, a hypocrite or an ignoramus?
quote:
but you still end up with the fact that they all made themselves guilty of flawed scholarship, period.
As you observed with anthropology, disciplines are guilty of making flawed claims that are later discredited. This can be said of science in general. Black scholars Diop, DuBois and Asante are not exceptional here. Also, speaking of science, I recall you said that Europeans invented science a claim which you have yet to back up.
quote:
Other claims were the result of willful ignorance, wishful thinking and floppy scholarship.
You can find willful ignornace among Afrocentrics, or black scholars who dont identify as such, but this is not atypical. Unless you are going to argue (along with Euros "inventing" science) that mainstream non-black non-Afrocentric science is value free and doesn't stubbornly hold onto cherished assumptions. And even this would be too far out for your dumbass. [Roll Eyes]
quote:
If the findings are acquired by empirical evidence, why is it ‘’Afrocentrism’’ and not just science?
I said its methodology follows the scientific empirical tradition. As a general movement it is value laden its
quote:
main concern is seeing Africans
movements.

, but again this is not exclusive to Afrocentricity. [Roll Eyes]
quote:
This is a rubbish request since I said in terms of methodology it follows empiricism.
quote:
Can you show me how WEB Dubois used it, what he meant with it, and how his usage is corroborated my modern science?
Again, your label someone with a term yet you don't know what they meant by it, and how their usage is corroborated by modern science. Amazing!
quote:
Can you show me **HOW** and on what areas of research Afrocentrists, according to your use of the word, used the empirical method to arrive at their conclusions, and what these conclusions were?
Read works by Molefi Asante.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Afrocentricity? What are its "dogmas"? Does it have dogmas?
quote:
 -

-

-

-

quote:
our African ancestors

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
You seem to have all the time in the world for trolling. I hope you find time to respond to yet another debunking of your holocau$t spams here:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003577;p=3

[Roll Eyes]

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Anguishofbeing:
I have never read him insisting he was the only person equipped to define the term

Read harder. Isn’t that what you folks do? If I just stare hard enough, the depicted person will look black. LOL.
quote:
or that his claims are "ultimate" and "unfalsifiable",

The review does not say that Asante said that about himself. But like I said, who knows, maybe if you just stare hard enough.
quote:
First you get all postmodern re shifting meanings of terms but then you want to identify **typical examples** of the term Mike and Winters and its "dogmas". Either you don't understand the postmodern implications of what you first argued or you are a hypocrite who jumps from meanings-aren't-stable to essentialism. So what are you, a hypocrite or an ignoramus?

WTF are you talking about? You need to be clear and specific, and lay off with your big mouth, or this will be my last response in your little thread. Yeah, you can call that a cop out to ‘’save face’’ too.

quote:
As you observed with anthropology, disciplines are guilty of making flawed claims that are later discredited. This can be said of science in general. Black scholars Diop, DuBois and Asante are not exceptional here.

^Strawman
I didn’t say that, nor did I imply that the scholars you mentioned were exceptional.
You need to remove that victim haze from your head and read my posts.
I made it clear that a large portion of the flaws where typical of that time, when a lot of disciplines were still in a juvenile state.

What happens with the people who hang on to those ideas when they’re discredited? What happens to scholars who still hang on to Eurocentric principles? Exactly, they get critiqued. The same thing should, and in fact does happen to flawed Afro-centric claims. That is the point, not that Afro-centrism is unique in that regard. But thanks for admitting the claims in question are false. Now you just have to be a standup guy when folks like PlasticLion excrete them here on ES with the same spastic impulse that made you step to me.
quote:
You can find willful ignornace among Afrocentrics, or black scholars who dont identify as such, but this is not atypical.

^Strawman
quote:
Unless you are going to argue (along with Euros "inventing" science) that mainstream non-black non-Afrocentric science is value free and doesn't stubbornly hold onto cherished assumptions.

^Strawman
quote:
And even this would be too far out for your dumbass.

Look at you getting all emotional like a little bitch because I insulted your masters.
quote:
main concern is seeing Africans
movements.

Even if they have to take other peoples history and make false claims in the process.

^I think that addition would make the description more accurate
But false claims and hijacking other peoples history isn’t exclusive to Afrocentrism, so I guess all critique is unjustified, because they all do it. Right?

quote:
Again, your label someone with a term yet you don't know what they meant by it, and how their usage is corroborated by modern science. Amazing!

Read what you’re saying. You say I label someone with a term and I don’t know what they meant with it? When do we ever know what meaning someone attaches to something? You don’t, unless they state it, and when they do, it doesn't mean that it can't differ slightly or substantially from your own definition, for both to be correct descriptions.

If Asantes reframing of a term he didn’t even coin is indicative of how you Afrocentrics operate, and my guess is it is, my question is perfectly valid.
So again:

quote:
Read works by Molefi Asante.

^
You’ve shown what your intentions are, you don’t demonstrate nothing, you just ask til you find flaws to ridicule, yet when questions are posed to you, you refer to other places. Don’t waste my time, you little pest. Answer the question like I answered yours
AGAIN:

Can you give a detailed description of what Afrocentrism entails, if it not includes the notions I mentioned?

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
You need to be clear and specific, and lay off with your big mouth, or this will be my last response in your little thread.
LOL Look whose talking! I really don't understand what your beef is, and I say this in all sincerity. This seems to be the strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. On the one hand you argue for a postmodern deconstruction of the term and its shifting meanings (i.e. relativism) but then you want to fix the meaning for Afrocentricity (i.e. essentialism) by identifying its "characteristics" wanting to make it synonymous with sloppy scholarship, blind faith and claims of "unfalsifiablility". Do you not see the contradictions here? I mean really. Which one of you am I debating Kalonji?
quote:
Yeah, you can call that a cop out to ‘’save face’’ too.
I will if you do. [Big Grin]
quote:
maybe if you just stare hard enough.
If you stare long enough into the void it stares back at you! LOL From postmodern to existentialism. HAHAHAH

You have no argument boy.
quote:
You’ve shown what your intentions are, you don’t demonstrate nothing, you just ask til you find flaws to ridicule, yet when questions are posed to you, you refer to other places. Don’t waste my time, you little pest.
LOL How long have you been on ES? Do you think I am going to chase your dumbass all day on baits? It was you who made specific claims about a movement not following the scientific method and those whom you identify as being a part of this movement as well as its alleged essential characteristics. Of course this is after you argued in favor of postmodern relativism: floating signifiers and unstable meanings... LOLOLOL

But if you are going to stick to one of your multiple personalities (the one that argues for fix meanings) then it is you who should quote from said scholars to back up your arguments. Do you not see this? Of course you do, but you are playing the typical losers saving face game.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that Jari has a point about ''Africa centric'' vs ''black centric'', but most Afro-centrics don't make that distinction. They group ALL black peoples together and applaud their accomplishments as a triumph for the entire ''black race'', which is, among other things, characteristic of Afrocentrism.

I make this distinction because Early Afrocentrics did not claim Diffusionist claims. They Claimed mainly Nubia and the closest to diffusion was Egypt Via Nubia until Diop started the Trend to claim Egypt. However as far as I can tell even Diop was not a Diffusionist "Black-Centric Afrocentrist, as he claimed the Moors were not black etc.

Anguish V. Kalonji-Anguish Like me Im sure Kalonji is young, the Earliest he can probably name is Diop. Now I know about some Early African Americans who worked with Nubia but I can't recall their name sorry. Anyway I think that Clyde is pretty much Co-Signing Kalonji if you read what Clyde is claiming then Kalonji is right that afrocentrism is not African centered.

movements.

If this is true then Clyde's scholarship is pretty much saying you are a liar. Greece and Mesopotamia is NOT Africa, Hence the name Afro-Centricity is misleading, the name should be BLACK centric if Clyde is correct, as I said there is no unified thought on Afrocentrics, in one hand you have people like Takruri who I consider more Authentic in their apporach to Afrocentrism(Great Jew is the only poster who has deep understanding on Egypt, Nubia, West African, Berber and a few cultures in the Levant) compared to Black Centrics like Clyde who claim Black Vikings and Black Chinese and Black Greeks etc. Both Claim they are the original...

It simply comes down to the reactionary origin of Afrocentrism to Eurocentric Dogma..

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it amazing even amusing that those who have
no idea what Afrocentricity is continue adhering to
what the white media has redefined it to be rather
than investing a little time to actually see what
Afrocentricity is according to the one who originally
defined this political philosophy and without his
body of work the white media would have no such
term as Afrocentrism to weep and moan about, for
make no mistake, before Asante the white media had
no such crusade.

Blacks and anyone else who say otherwise are just
buying a book, a Eurocentric book that they prefer.

They also are playing Simon Says, i.e., it's only
right if Simon says so, and we all know who Simon
is, don't we?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
no such crusade.

Here how about this, How has the "White" Media Redefined afrocentrism, please take to note Clydes arguments PREDATE Asante's work, so what is it that the White Media has done to afrocentrism that is False.

As far as I can tell we are talking about Afrocentrics claiming Diffusionist I.E NON African Cultures, but I get the feeling you are talking about something else so please if you can elaborate.

I have some examples of my arguments but I will wait for Takruri or Anguish to respond.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
How simple it would be to reference Asante's own
website instead of relying on biased polemics of
his detractors but for the "follow fashion" set that
idea never flew past their mind.

quote:
In the late l970s Molefi Kete Asante began speaking of the need for an Afrocentric orientation to data. By l980 he had published a book, Afrocentricity: The Theory of Social Change, which launched the first full discussion of the concept. Although the word existed before Asante’s book and had been used by many people, including Asante in the l970s, and Kwame Nkrumah in the l960s, the intellectual idea did not have substance as a philosophical concept until l980
Now go examine Nkrumah's or Hansberry's or any
others' use of the term to see if it matches the
nonsense the white media has projected.

Still feel the white media invented the term to
mean "black sloppy scholarship?" Go read the
New York Times review of books on Van Sertima's
They Came Before Columbus (and note in later
years he constantly had to correct people who
labeled him an Afrocentric). Do you see that
white medium using the term Afrocentrism in
their hyper-criticism of the book? Why is that?
Could it be because Asante's groundbreaking work
Afrocentricity had not yet been published?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
We're going to move along and keep this thread exactly
as Anguish broached it and define Afrocentricity by one's
who actually practice this political philosophy not by the
white media and others who want to turn it into any
eccentric work a black person writes and claim that
as Afrocentric when in fact it is not.

quote:
There are five general characteristics of the Afrocentric Method

1. The Afrocentric method considers that no phenomena can be apprehended adequately without locating it first. A phenom must be studied and analyzed in relationship to psychological time and space. It must always be located. This is the only way to investigate the complex interrelationships of science and art, design and execution, creation and maintenance, generation and tradition, and other areas bypassed by theory.
  2. The Afrocentric method considers phenomena to be diverse, dynamic, and in motion and therefore it is necessary for a person to accurately note and record the location of phenomena even in the midst of fluctuations. This means that the investigator must know where he or she is standing in the process.
  3. The Afrocentric method is a form of cultural criticism that examines etymological uses of words and terms in order to know the source of an author’s location. This allows us to intersect ideas with actions and actions with ideas on the basis of what is pejorative and ineffective and what is creative and transformative at the political and economic levels.
  4. The Afrocentric method seeks to uncover the masks behind the rhetoric of power, privilege, and position in order to establish how principal myths create place. The method enthrones critical reflection that reveals the perception of monolithic power as nothing but the projection of a cadre of adventurers.
  5. The Afrocentric method locates the imaginative structure of a system of economics, bureau of politics, policy of government, expression of cultural form in the attitude, direction, and language of the phenom, be it text, institution, personality, interaction, or event.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
no such crusade.

Here how about this, How has the "White" Media Redefined afrocentrism, please take to note Clydes arguments PREDATE Asante's work, so what is it that the White Media has done to afrocentrism that is False.

As far as I can tell we are talking about Afrocentrics claiming Diffusionist I.E NON African Cultures, but I get the feeling you are talking about something else so please if you can elaborate.

I have some examples of my arguments but I will wait for Takruri or Anguish to respond.

I can understand why great jew can come off as condescending sometimes when he just drops sources and tell you kids to go read. I mean why waste time on a chase when you could read the scholars cited and compare it with the caricature that is paraded in the media? Do you really want to learn or just argue?
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
How simple it would be to reference Asante's own
website instead of relying on biased polemics of
his detractors but for the "follow fashion" set that
idea never flew past their mind.

quote:
In the late l970s Molefi Kete Asante began speaking of the need for an Afrocentric orientation to data. By l980 he had published a book, Afrocentricity: The Theory of Social Change, which launched the first full discussion of the concept. Although the word existed before Asante’s book and had been used by many people, including Asante in the l970s, and Kwame Nkrumah in the l960s, the intellectual idea did not have substance as a philosophical concept until l980
Now go examine Nkrumah's or Hansberry's or any
others' use of the term to see if it matches the
nonsense the white media has projected.

Still feel the white media invented the term to
mean "black sloppy scholarship?" Go read the
New York Times review of books on Van Sertima's
They Came Before Columbus (and note in later
years he constantly had to correct people who
labeled him an Afrocentric). Do you see that
white medium using the term Afrocentrism in
their hyper-criticism of the book? Why is that?
Could it be because Asante's groundbreaking work
Afrocentricity had not yet been published?

I don't understand the High brow Uppity Niggerism, but then again that is typical of you. What I asked is what exactly did the White Media say or "Redefine" Afrocentrism as. Im Asking you this to better understand your argument as I think we are arguing two different things and thus will chase the wind. No where did I say Afrocentrism is "Sloppy" scholarship but that Afrocentrism is reactionary and centered around NON African Empires and Cultures which seems to be the Rally Cry of the Eurocentric and "Eurasian" advocats...

thus This has nothing to do with Asante. per say but more to do with "the White Media changing the Def. of Afrocentrism and what in YOUR OPINION is the White Media saying??

Do you understand or will we continue to chase the wind here?? Clyde seems to have got it.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
no such crusade.

I can understand why great jew can come off as condescending sometimes when he just drops sources and tell you kids to go read. I mean why waste time on a chase when you could read the scholars cited and compare it with the caricature that is paraded in the media? Do you really want to learn or just argue?
Actually Im NOT Trying to Argue here..LOL. Im Serious, I don't understand WHAT yall mean by the "Stereotype" of Afrocentrism, I thing We are arguing two different things. For one Im not saying Afrocentrism is sloppy(Except if you claim Mike111 is the authority on Afrocentrism) Im claiming it is NON AFRICAN centered as from what I understand is what the white media is saying..I.E that Afrocentrics are "Stealing" other peoples cultures..

Here is what Im arguing to clarify..

1) the White Media claims Afrocentrics are "Stealing" other non African Cultures, Afrocentrics do this by claiming non African Cultures like Black Greeks, Black Dutch, etc.

2) Afrocentrism is reactionary to the Early Caucasian centered estabishment and thus both are similar.

3)Black Centered is a more modern accurate Term for Afrocentrism.

4)Im not arguing Blacks are exclusive to Africa. But which cultures not on African soild can be said to be "African"..

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Without knowing the philosophy or those who are
recognized as its practioners by those who actually
follow the philosophy the white media has projected
Afrocentrism as any idea a black has that doesn't
conform to the white standard and deceptively
focusing in on the most fringe concepts of blacks
outside of bona fide Afrocentricity as its true
representatives which the black "follow fashion"
then accepts as gospel without exercising their
own minds or bothering to read any works by either
Asante or any other Afrocentricity defined Afrocentric.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:
Afrocentric Philosophy

The philosophy of Afrocentricity as expounded by Molefi Kete Asante and Ama Mazama, central figures of the Temple School, is a way of answering all cultural, economic, political, and social questions related to African people from a centered position. There are other Afrocentric ideas as well but these are the ones propounded in texts by Professors Asante, Mazama, and the late C. Tsehloane Keto. Indeed, Afrocentricity cannot be reconciled to any hegemonic or idealistic philosophy. It is opposed to radical individualism as expressed in the postmodern school. But it is also opposed to spookism, confusion, and superstition. As example of the differences between the methods of Afrocentricity and postmodernism, consider the following question, “Why have Africans been shut out of global development?”

The postmodernist would begin by saying that there is no such thing as “Africans” because there are many different types of Africans and all Africans are not equal. The postmodernist would go on to say that if there were Africans and if the conditions were as described by the querist then the answer would be that Africans had not fully developed their own capacities in relationship to the global economy and therefore they are outside of the normal development patterns of the world economy. On the other hand, the Afrocentrist does not question the fact that there is a collective sense of Africanity revealed in the common experiences of the African world. The Afrocentrist would look to the questions of location, control of the hegemonic global economy, marginalization, and power positions as keys to understand the underdevelopment of African people.

--------------------

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Without knowing the philosophy or those who are
recognized as its practioners by those who actually
follow the philosophy the white media has projected
Afrocentrism as any idea a black has that doesn't
conform to the white standard and deceptively
focusing in on the most fringe concepts of blacks
outside of bona fide Afrocentricity as its true
representatives which the black "follow fashion"
then accepts as gospel without exercising their
own minds or bothering to read any works by either
Asante or any other Afrocentricity defined Afrocentric.

Look man as far as I can tell we are arguing two different things here, Maybe your beef is with Kalonji not me..who knows. Clyde Winters understood my argument.

This has to do with YOUR opinion on what the WHITE MEDIA claims as opposed to Mine. because Im not You nor do I read Mind's over the Net I can't understand your argument..so please continue with Kalonji or define what exactly has the white media redefined Afrocentrism as

Until then..Peace..As far as I can tell we agree here.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
One of biggest blunders commonly made by the Afro
name callers is falling for ruses like the ancient
Greeks were black which has nothing in the least to
do with Afrocentricity or its position that ancient
Greece was influenced by Africans not majority
populated by Africans or that all ancient Greece's
star personalities were black. Those ideas are
Afro-eccentric not Afrocentricity.

quote:

Africa's influence on ancient Greece, the oldest European civilization, was profound and significant in art, architecture, astronomy, medicine, geometry, mathematics, law, politics, and religion. Yet there has been a furious campaign to discredit African influence and to claim a miraculous birth for Western civilization. A number of books and articles by white and some black conservatives seek to disprove the Egyptian influence on Greece.

. . . .

Afrocentricity seeks to discover African agency in every situation. Who are we? What did we do? Where did we travel? What is our role in geometry? How do we as a people function in this or that contemporary situation? But the Afrocentrist does not advance African particularity as universal. This is its essential difference from Eurocentricity which is advanced in the United States and other places as if the particular experiences of Europeans is universal. This imposition is ethnocentric and often racist. Afrocentricity advances the view that it is possible for a pluralism of cultures to exist without hierarchy but this demands cultural equality and respect.

. . . .

Professor Lefkowitz has offered the public a pablum history which ignores or distorts the substantial evidence of African influence on Greece in the ancient writings of Aetius, Strabo, Plato, Homer, Herodotus, Diogenes, Plutarch, and Diodorus Siculus. A reader of Lefkowitz' book must decide if she or he is going to believe those who wrote during the period or someone who writes today. History teaches us that a person is more likely to distort an event the farther away from it she happens to be. If you have a choice, go with the people who saw the ancient Egyptians and wrote about what they saw.

. . . .

They attack insignificant or trivial issues to obscure the main points.

Professor Lefkowitz has three main axes to grind in her book. The first is that a student told her that she believed Socrates was black.
The main point made by Afrocentrists is that Greece owes a substantial debt to Egypt and that Egypt was anterior to Greece and should be considered a major contributor to our current knowledge. I think I can say without a doubt that Afrocentrists do not spend time arguing that either Socrates or Cleopatra were black. I have never seen these ideas written by an Afrocentrist nor have I heard them discussed in any Afrocentric intellectual forums. Professor Lefkowitz provides us with a hearsay incident which she probably reports accurately. It is not an Afrocentric argument.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
One of biggest blunders commonly made by the Afro
name callers is falling for ruses like the ancient
Greeks were black which has nothing in the least to
do with Afrocentricity or its position that ancient
Greece was influenced by Africans not majority
populated by Africans or that all ancient Greece's
star personalities were black. Those ideas are
Afro-eccentric not Afrocentricity.

quote:

Africa's influence on ancient Greece, the oldest European civilization, was profound and significant in art, architecture, astronomy, medicine, geometry, mathematics, law, politics, and religion. Yet there has been a furious campaign to discredit African influence and to claim a miraculous birth for Western civilization. A number of books and articles by white and some black conservatives seek to disprove the Egyptian influence on Greece.

. . . .

Afrocentricity seeks to discover African agency in every situation. Who are we? What did we do? Where did we travel? What is our role in geometry? How do we as a people function in this or that contemporary situation? But the Afrocentrist does not advance African particularity as universal. This is its essential difference from Eurocentricity which is advanced in the United States and other places as if the particular experiences of Europeans is universal. This imposition is ethnocentric and often racist. Afrocentricity advances the view that it is possible for a pluralism of cultures to exist without hierarchy but this demands cultural equality and respect.

. . . .

Professor Lefkowitz has offered the public a pablum history which ignores or distorts the substantial evidence of African influence on Greece in the ancient writings of Aetius, Strabo, Plato, Homer, Herodotus, Diogenes, Plutarch, and Diodorus Siculus. A reader of Lefkowitz' book must decide if she or he is going to believe those who wrote during the period or someone who writes today. History teaches us that a person is more likely to distort an event the farther away from it she happens to be. If you have a choice, go with the people who saw the ancient Egyptians and wrote about what they saw.

. . . .

They attack insignificant or trivial issues to obscure the main points.

Professor Lefkowitz has three main axes to grind in her book. The first is that a student told her that she believed Socrates was black[b].
The main point made by Afrocentrists is that Greece owes a substantial debt to Egypt and that Egypt was anterior to Greece and should be considered a major contributor to our current knowledge. I think I can say without a doubt that [b]Afrocentrists do not spend time arguing that either Socrates or Cleopatra were black.
I have never seen these ideas written by an Afrocentrist nor have I heard them discussed in any Afrocentric intellectual forums. Professor Lefkowitz provides us with a hearsay incident which she probably reports accurately. It is not an Afrocentric argument.

O.K thank you, so then accoriding to this We are on agreement that there is a difference between Afrocentrism and what you call Afro-Eccentrism which I call black Centric.

So I guess your argument is with Kalonji.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
On the one hand you argue for a postmodern deconstruction of the term and its shifting meanings (i.e. relativism) but then you want to fix the meaning for Afrocentricity (i.e. essentialism) by identifying its "characteristics" wanting to make it synonymous with sloppy scholarship, blind faith and claims of "unfalsifiablility".

Now I understand what you mean.
But you still don’t have a point, and I’ll tell you why.
I was being careful with my words when I mentioned the two notions that I thought were typical of most people who subscribe to ‘’Afro-centric’’ claims. This is hardly defining something to the point where I’ve made it into something that’s static. This doesn’t compromise my other position that Duboi’s definition of the term ‘’Afrocentric’’ or anyone else’s are necessarily stable and constant throughout the decades or that it can’t be expanded, like Asante obviously did. Both views are compatible.
quote:
If you stare long enough into the void it stares back at you! LOL From postmodern to existentialism. HAHAHAH
You have no argument boy.

Actually, I do.
You just admitted it when you agreed that other sciences blunder as well.
quote:
LOL How long have you been on ES? Do you think I am going to chase your dumbass all day on baits?

I expect that when someone opens a thread to confront me, he’s going to engage in a discussion, one that’s preferably mature and evolved. What this has to do with baiting, I don’t know. I actually want to figure this out, but like I said, maybe we’re just not on the same wavelength. You think me admitting I know little about who coined the term is a weakness, when pretending I knew it all along after a quick google session would’ve been the thing to do if I was in it to bait people, and ‘’being right’’. I think you’re just projecting. YOU are baiting people yourself, that’s why you’re so preoccupied with seeing it in others.
quote:
It was you who made specific claims about a movement not following the scientific method and those whom you identify as being a part of this movement as well as its alleged essential characteristics. Of course this is after you argued in favor of postmodern relativism: floating signifiers and unstable meanings... LOLOLOL

Go back, read whether I said it or whether it happened to be in the quote, also check if the ‘’floating signifiers’’ part was bolded or not. Clearly I quoted the bit to make a point about how Asantes additions and exclusions are not necessarily representative for Afro-centrism as a whole to warrant Altakruri’s exclusion of the let’s just say, ‘’more fruity’’ type of Afrocentric excretions.

AGAIN:

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I repeat there's definetly a difference between
Afrocentricity, a healthy philosophy, and
Afro-Eccentricity which the white media
dubs Afrocentrism and most people have
accepted as the definition
-- which it is
NOT

movements.

Most of the characterizations one finds labeled
here as Afrocentrism has nothing in the least to
do with Afrocentricity but is Afro-Eccentricity,
i.e., eccentric ideas about Africa and African
peoples at home but especially abroad.

I dare any of the Afro-name callers here to actually read works like
1). The history of Africa: the quest for eternal harmony or
2). Culture and customs of Egypt or
3). Classical Africa
all written by Molefi Kete Asante, the premier Afrocentric authority,
and cite anything even remotely close to the stuff you label as Afrocentrism.

If somebody here is posting Afro-Eccentricism don't
turn around and mistake it for true Afrocentricity.
If you do then you're just lying to make some points.

Who would accept an obfuscation of Plato's
philosphy as the real deal? Yet when it comes
to the philosophy of Afrocentricity nearly all
readily accept any and all characterizations
made about it by people who don't even as
much know who its modern authorities are
or what they have written and can't even
list just one central tenant of Afrocentricity
but jump on the bandwagon to besmirch its name.

I used to be one of these people myself. Even
though given a copy of Asante's Afrocentricity
by a bookshop owner when it first came out I
had a hard time reading it, as I do with books
on philosophy in general, so set it aside and as
the years rolled along just accepted the white
media contrived definition. But this past summer
after pulling some hysterics against Afrocentricity
with some 'net colleagues I went, actually obtained,
sat down and read, authentic Afrocentric works by
Asante.

I am not an Afrocentric, but I no longer judge it
by the forces shouting mad dog, mad dog and the
people who hearing the shout mad dog cast stones

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Prime example of forces shouting mad dog mad dog
and the follow fashion set who then cast stones.

quote:

Professor Lefkowitz makes a statement on page 1 of her book that
"In American universities today not everyone knows what extreme Afrocentists are doing in their classrooms. Or even if they do know, they choose not to ask questions." We are off to a bad start. Who are these extreme Afrocentrists? She does not provide us with one example of something that an extreme Afrocentrist is teaching in a classroom. Not one. But already the reader is inclined to believe that something exists where nothing exists. No matter how passionate, assertion is not evidence. What Afrocentrists do teach is that you cannot begin the discussion of world history with the Greeks. Creating clouds of suspicion about scholarly colleagues in order to support a racial mythology developed over the past centuries to accompany European enslavement of Africans, imperialism, and exploitation will not dissipate the fact of Greece's debt to Africa.

Does the above part of the quote underlined in bold describe you?

Then this is what you have fallen for, Lefkowitz'
definition which was infused and spread by the
media and follow fashioners like Appiah, Gates,
and Snowden.

--------------------

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
This is hardly defining something to the point where I’ve made it into something that’s static
Disingenuous, backtracking, retreating. You did argue for an essential/static meaning. You said Mike and Clyde are about as Afrocentric as it gets. You don't know the implications of that quote do you? [Roll Eyes] which is prob. why you then argued the opposite. lol
quote:
other sciences blunder as well
So you see Afrocentricity as a science now? [Roll Eyes]
quote:
Go back, read whether I said it or whether it happened to be in the quote, also check if the ‘’floating signifiers’’ part was bolded or not.
So you are not arguing for postmodern free floating signifiers now? I thought you took exception to me interpreting you as "defining something to the point where I’ve made it into something that’s static".... [Eek!] I'm confused, really.
quote:
Clearly I quoted the bit to make a point about how Asantes additions and exclusions are not necessarily representative for Afro-centrism as a whole
Representative? again we are confused, do you see essential meaning or free floating signifiers?
quote:
AGAIN:

Each time you spam this you admit ignornace and unwillingness to learn and be open.

Note: when you are making claims about X scholar, you are to quote from X scholar to back whatever claims you make of X scholar. [Roll Eyes]
quote:
I dare any of the Afro-name callers here to actually read works like
1). The history of Africa: the quest for eternal harmony or
2). Culture and customs of Egypt or
3). Classical Africa
all written by Molefi Kete Asante, the premier Afrocentric authority,
and cite anything even remotely close to the stuff you label as Afrocentrism.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Disingenuous, backtracking, retreating. You did argue for an essential/static meaning. You said Mike and Clyde are about as Afrocentric as it gets. You don't know the implications of that quote do you? which is prob. why you then argued the opposite. Lol

It doesn’t at all.
It implies that there is variation, extremity and not so extreme. People who are heavy on two of the notions I mentioned earlier and people who are not so heavy on it. Stop putting words in my mouth.
quote:
So you see Afrocentricity as a science now?

Yawwnnn I said YOU admitted to blunders by Afrocentrists, by saying other scientific disciplines blunder as well

quote:
So you are not arguing for postmodern free floating signifiers now? I thought you took exception to me interpreting you as "defining something to the point where I’ve made it into something that’s static".... I'm confused, really.

I think your confusion says more about you than it says about me. My positions outside of the quote are all in this thread, and they don’t contradict eachother as I’ve demonstrated earlier.
quote:
Each time you spam this you admit ignornace and unwillingness to learn and be open.

Really?
How can asking questions be equal to unwillingness to learn and being open?

You know what, this is just too stupid for words. I don’t think I want to know the answer anyway.
I’m done here, I already made my point, and you agreed with my position that the group of scholars in question, whether they admitted to being Afrocentrists or not, can all be grouped by having in common, at least some variations of the same incorrect claims/themes that are now proven to be fundamentally wrong. Now you’re trying to make it into something else by strawmanning your way out of that exact same relevant portion of this discussion. You can do it all you want, but I don’t have the time for it.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
you agreed with my position that the group of scholars in question, whether they admitted to being Afrocentrists or not, can all be grouped by having in common, at least some variations of the same incorrect claims/themes
Typical of face savers claiming victory from defeat. lol Aint nobody agreed with your uniting "two notions" of Afrocentricity Simon.

quote:
Stop putting words in my mouth.
Nobody putting words in your mouth. You said it, you posted others saying it, but now you want to distance yourself from it. Typical of a saving face loser.

* Examples of fixed meanings for the term:

"they (Mike and Clyde) are about as Afrocentric as it gets"

* Examples of postmodern free floating signifiers and unstable meanings:

"Afrocentrism is not the property of Asante, that he or anyone else can dictate that their interpretation should be the correct one. "

^ I would say that you are clueless as to the implications of the above contradictions, but I know you are not; you're just saving face. [Roll Eyes]
quote:
I said YOU admitted to blunders by Afrocentrists, by saying other scientific disciplines blunder as well
LOL your actual words - in response to me saying you have no argument: "Actually, I do. You just admitted it when you agreed that other sciences blunder as well"
Now if you want to change your mind fine, but don't lie. Or is this another example of one of your free floating signifiers? LOL!

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:

Afrocentrists ... can all be grouped by having in common, at least some variations of the same incorrect claims/themes

Now excuse me if from the start I butted in on some
ongoing personal dispute thinking it was a thread to
define Afrocentricity, but I nonetheless have to relay that
if this is supposed to be the working definition of Afrocentricity
then in Asante's words it reveals "the worst type of anti-African,
a black who hates the African part of himself and who consequently
underestimates the intellectual scholarship of Africans."

So if this is a personal clash between two posters then
I needn't continue bringing quotes from authentic sources
of Afrocentricity and its my bad I didn't know what was
going on, otherwise I hope I succeeded in bringing light
to those who wanted to know the facts about what constitutes
Afrocentricity instead of all this pseudo and fringe stuff
assumed to be valid Afrocentrism which I doubt any Africana
or African Studies department in any university teaches.

Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does not matter what Afrocentricity had originally meant. The concept has developed into something new. And that is what is important, its current meaning.
Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
if this is supposed to be the working definition of Afrocentricity...

Thats his wishful definition of Afrocentricity... when he's not advancing postmodern notions of free floating signifiers and unstable meanings. [Big Grin]
quote:
So if this is a personal clash between two posters then
I needn't continue bringing quotes from authentic sources
of Afrocentricity and its my bad I didn't know what was
going on, otherwise I hope I succeeded in bringing light
to those who wanted to know the facts about what constitutes
Afrocentricity instead of all this pseudo and fringe stuff
assumed to be valid Afrocentrism which I doubt any Africana
or African Studies department in any university teaches.

I'm sure your quotes where appreciated by those who wanted to learn something.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Confirming Truth:
It does not matter what Afrocentricity had originally meant. The concept has developed into something new. And that is what is important, its current meaning.

Actually Afrocentrism by its name Afro(Africa) Centrism(Centered) means that the Current definition is misleading. Afrocentrism should be Africa centered. The same can be said about Eurocentrism which is in the notion of stealing Non European Cultures but you seem to not have a problem with the Latter..as long as Whitey is advancing it huh..As Long as the white man is doing the Diffusion Afronut can sleep at night..LOL

I'm sure your quotes where appreciated by those who wanted to learn something.

I learned something from the quotes, esp. that Afrocentrism has been Hijacked by Black Centrists and Cariacatured by the Euro/Med/Eurasian advocates and the "White Media"..

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Afrocentrism has always recognized that Mesopotamian and even Greecian civilization was founded by Africans. This is made clear in Asante's book: Egypt vs Africa.

-

I wrote a chapter in the book which discusses the genetic model in relation to African civilizations in Eurasia and the Americas.

quote:

I make this distinction because Early Afrocentrics did not claim Diffusionist claims. They Claimed mainly Nubia and the closest to diffusion was Egypt Via Nubia until Diop started the Trend to claim Egypt. However as far as I can tell even Diop was not a Diffusionist "Black-Centric Afrocentrist, as he claimed the Moors were not black etc.

Anguish V. Kalonji-Anguish Like me Im sure Kalonji is young, the Earliest he can probably name is Diop. Now I know about some Early African Americans who worked with Nubia but I can't recall their name sorry. Anyway I think that Clyde is pretty much Co-Signing Kalonji if you read what Clyde is claiming then Kalonji is right that afrocentrism is not African centered.

movements.

If this is true then Clyde's scholarship is pretty much saying you are a liar. Greece and Mesopotamia is NOT Africa, Hence the name Afro-Centricity is misleading, the name should be BLACK centric if Clyde is correct, as I said there is no unified thought on Afrocentrics, in one hand you have people like Takruri who I consider more Authentic in their apporach to Afrocentrism(Great Jew is the only poster who has deep understanding on Egypt, Nubia, West African, Berber and a few cultures in the Levant) compared to Black Centrics like Clyde who claim Black Vikings and Black Chinese and Black Greeks etc. Both Claim they are the original...

It simply comes down to the reactionary origin of Afrocentrism to Eurocentric Dogma..

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com